inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Madonna Vs. Janet Jackson

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/15/07 at 2:01 pm

Subject: Re: Madonna Vs. Janet Jackson

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/15/07 at 2:02 pm

From the given pair, definitely Madonna

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/15/07 at 2:07 pm

i think people think Madonna's more interesting. i agree that she is alot more creative than Janet, but Janet's work just seems more solid.

i never realized just how popular Janet once was in the U.S.

her Rhythm Nation album had 7 top 5 hits off it, and they used to play non-single songs of hers on the radio all the time. but Madonna is much more popular world wide.

Written By: woops on 09/15/07 at 2:43 pm

Janet Jackson is more talented

Madonna is overrated, IMHO, though she had some good songs in the '80's.

Written By: snozberries on 09/15/07 at 3:24 pm

I am a HUGE Janet Jackson Fan. I have been to the Rhythm Nation & Janet. concerts. I missed Velvet Rope but not for lack of trying.

I was a fan of hers when she was Penny on good times. Willis' girl on Dif'rent Strokes and then when she joined Fame I was estatic (but then she left)

I have every CD she ever made...yes I even have Janet Jackson (the one where she's in a pool) & Dreamstreet (the one where she's on a scooter)

Janet kicks Madonna's a$$

Written By: snozberries on 09/15/07 at 3:42 pm

i've got all her albums except her debut. i've got Dream Street on casette though, and i think it's underrated. i LOVE Two To The Power Of Love!

I really liked Dream Street & Don't stand another chance. It was "bubble gummy" but that was the times. Once Janet broke out from under Joe's thumb she did great stuff.

The debut album wasn't that great its just good braggin' rights of a true fan.  She was so young on that album and didn't have the experience yet. Plus she didn't get to pick/write her own songs. 

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/15/07 at 3:57 pm

Dream Street is really sugary....but i still like alot of the songs.

i've actually got her debut on a burned disc, and i really don't like it. i've only been able to listen to it 1 1/2 times. i'm not into early 80's r&b (outside of Donna Summer), and it just sounds WAY too generic.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/15/07 at 5:12 pm

Janet Jackson is more talented

Madonna is overrated, IMHO, though she had some good songs in the '80's.

My thoughts exactly.

Written By: tv on 09/15/07 at 5:26 pm

Janet Jackson definately over Madonna although Madonna is good too. Janet Jackson was very talented and put out some great music from 1986-early 1999 though I don;t like her 00's stuff as much as her 1986-early 1999 stuff though "Someone To Call My Lover" was a good song as far as her 00's stuff goes.

I kind if admit to having a little crush on Janet in 2000. She was looking good back then.

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/15/07 at 7:23 pm

I love them both. My vote goes to Madonna, because I've listened to her music almost my entire life.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/16/07 at 11:52 am

I was never into Janet Jackson's music, so I'd have to go with Madonna... :)

Written By: Paul on 09/16/07 at 12:04 pm

Janet's stuff all tended to sound the same to me...

...mind you, after a point, so did Madge's...

...so I'll abstain!

Written By: whistledog on 09/16/07 at 12:15 pm

I never really cared for Janet's work, so I will go for Madonna. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/16/07 at 12:30 pm

Cinemagraphically speaking, Madonna is way out in front.

Written By: Paul on 09/16/07 at 12:45 pm

Cinemagraphically speaking, Madonna is way out in front.

How many 'turkeys' has Ms Jackson appeared in then?  ;)

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/16/07 at 1:47 pm

looks like Janet's being beaten, as i expected  :(.

i love em both, anyway.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/16/07 at 2:03 pm

Was Janet Jackson in The Wiz?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/16/07 at 2:03 pm

...or has Janet Jackson sang an Oscar Winning Song?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/16/07 at 8:12 pm

I can't choose - I love them both.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/16/07 at 8:54 pm

Was Janet Jackson in The Wiz?

no.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/16/07 at 8:54 pm

...or has Janet Jackson sang an Oscar Winning Song?

she sang an Oscar nominated song.

Written By: Step-chan on 09/16/07 at 9:37 pm

Janet Jackson.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/23/07 at 5:57 am

she sang an Oscar nominated song.
It is Madonna that has sang an Oscar Winning Song

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 09/24/07 at 8:14 am

Both

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/24/07 at 10:42 pm

Madonna.

I never had any use for Janet Jackson.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/25/07 at 4:21 am

Overall Janet is better I think, but I do like some of Madonna's songs.

Written By: robby76 on 09/25/07 at 9:37 am

As this is in the 80s section, I voted Janet. If it was the 2000s section I'd vote Madonna.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/21/07 at 11:34 am

I grew up on both of them in the 80s, and I love Madonna and Janet, so I can't choose.  It's a tie.  I remember trying to look like Janet during her Control and Rhythm Nation days.  I loved the way she danced and everything.  I liked Madonna's energy.  I remember when Janet was in Fame and Different Strokes.  I was just born when she joined the Good Times crew, so I know I wouldn't remember that.  I wanted to be Madonna, too, a little black girl version. ;D Janet Jackson wasn't real well-known yet like Madonna in 1984.  I only remember the Dream Street video back then, but that was about it.  It wasn't until Janet Jackson blew up in 1986 when I started to idolize and worship her.  I guess I could identify with her more because she's younger than Madonna, and her youthfulness appeal to teenagers and kids.  She was the epitome of my childhood back then.  I still liked Madonna at the time, but Janet made me forget about her. I loved her new image at the time.  Her image changed within two years.  When I was a little younger I wasn't used to Janet having real long hair.  When Control came out, that's when I knew she had  very long bushy hair.  As a naive 9-year-old, I thought she grew her hair like that, and I wanted my hair to look like hers.  I didn't know it was a weave until I was in my late teens!!!!

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/21/07 at 11:47 am

LOL Nicole !! I dressed like Madonna in the mid 80s (85-86). I remember the black bow in my hair, lace gloves, and the black rubber bracelets. Had  the whole nine. I loved her image more than the music.  I like her music especially Vogue, Papa Dont Preach, Live To Tell ...But when Janet blew up in the late 80s well you couldnt tell me I wasnt Janet's long lost twin.  I had the extensions etc, the outfits, you name it. Her songs were always HOT !!!! We always performed dance routines to Janet Jackson songs.  I always walked around saying" "no my first name aint baby...Its Janet..Miss Jackson if you're nasty.." and "What Have You Done for me Lately ???" her songs were very quotable

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/21/07 at 11:51 am

Snozberries, the only concerts I have ever been with the exception MCHammer/Boys II Men have been Jackson concerts. The Victory Tour, The Black Cat Tour and another Janet Jackson concert forgot the title.

Written By: snozberries on 11/21/07 at 11:58 am

Nicole I gave you your first Karma a couple days ago- you get another from me today for loving Janet almost as much as I do...

That black Madonna thing is hilarious  ;D  In the 70s I wanted to be the black Farrah Fawcett- I even made my friends call me Jill for a summer. I think- had I been younger when Janet blew up I would've wanted to emmulate her too!

Did you eve see Whoopi Goildberg's 1st stand up show on Broadway? (I believe its available on her return to Broadway 2oth anniv. DVD) She has a segment where she's a little girl with "Long luxurious blonde hair" she got the "hair" by wearing a yellow shirt on her head.  Who of us didn't grow-up envying long hair that would move!

LV- Karma to you too.  Of all the concerts I have been to Janet's are my favs.

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/21/07 at 12:07 pm

I know it may be off topic but I wanted to comment on the Whoopi Goldberg "hair" reference. For me it was not a yellow shirt, but putting a towel on my head every afternoon when I got home from school. My sister had the Farrah Fawcett hair !!!!

Written By: snozberries on 11/21/07 at 12:08 pm

;D

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/21/07 at 12:09 pm

Nicole I gave you your first Karma a couple days ago- you get another from me today for loving Janet almost as much as I do...

That black Madonna thing is hilarious  ;D  In the 70s I wanted to be the black Farrah Fawcett- I even made my friends call me Jill for a summer. I think- had I been younger when Janet blew up I would've wanted to emmulate her too!

Did you eve see Whoopi Goildberg's 1st stand up show on Broadway? (I believe its available on her return to Broadway 2oth anniv. DVD) She has a segment where she's a little girl with "Long luxurious blonde hair" she got the "hair" by wearing a yellow shirt on her head.  Who of us didn't grow-up envying long hair that would move!

LV- Karma to you too.  Of all the concerts I have been to Janet's are my favs.

I rememeber watching it on HBO!!!!  That was hilarious!!! ;D  I wanted to have real long hair like Janet Jackson.

Check for new replies or respond here...