inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1983 TV Guide article on censorship of Looney Tunes

Written By: woops on 09/18/07 at 5:40 pm

Censored Warner Bros. Cartoons - TV Guide Article

Have to agree with the comment from the late great Chuck Jones since there were, still are, images that are more violent than Looney Tunes. Heck, they weren't even originally aimed towards children since they were for adults. Especially since they were played between newsreels & movies like "Gone With The Wind" & "Casablanca" in the early/mid 20th century.

Not sure about the 1970's, though I think that's when WWII cartoons and other "UN PC" started to get banned since the later 1960's...

more on censorship

Good thing they're uncut on DVD

Subject: Re: 1983 TV Guide article on censorship of Looney Tunes

Written By: chiefyamick on 09/22/07 at 12:40 am

Amen to that one!! I love all those old WB cartoons, no matter how non-PC they may be today.

Written By: snozberries on 09/30/07 at 11:33 am

I could research it woops but since you have all the dvds I figure its easier to just ask you...did the banned Looney Tunes shorts make their way onto the dvds?  I have been wanting to see that one from WWII.

Written By: woops on 09/30/07 at 3:54 pm

There's not many banned WWII cartoons, though there might be a WWII themed disc in the future...

Volume Five: coming at the end of next month

"Scrap Happy Daffy" (Daffy protecting scrap metal from a Nazi goat)

Three Private Snafu cartoons and Hook cartoons:

Hook:
"The Good Egg"
"The Return of Mr. Hook"
"Tokyo Woes"
(there's another, but it was made from Lantz...might appear on a future Woody Woodpecker set though)

Snafu:

"Behind the Toons" feature: "Real American Zero The Adventures of Private Snafu"

cartoons:
"Gripes"
"Gas"
"Coming Snafu"

Volume Four:
"Plane Daffy"(on disc three featuring cartoons directed by Frank Tashlin, Daffy vs. Hatta Mari the seductive pigeon spy)

Private Snafu (on the extras feature on the second disc)

"The Goldbrick"
"The Homefront"
"Censored"

Volume Three

No  banned WWII  era Looney Tunes, but feature three Private Snafu cartoons that were made for the troops on the bonus feature on the fourth disc:

"Snafuperman"
"Rumors"
"Spies"

other:
"Points of Rationing of Food" (an educational short about food rationing WWII)

Also "Looney Tunes Go To War" mini documentry

Public Domain (various 'Cartoon Craze' DVDs)

"Daffy The Commando"
"Fifth Column Mouse"
"Confusions of a Nutzy Spy"
"Scrap Happy Daffy"
"Bugs Bunny Bond Rally"
"The Ducktators" (though the ending's cut out)

There's a long  out of print video titled "Bugs & Daffy: The Wartime Cartoons"

might be some available at E Bay or Amazon

"The Weakly Reporter" (newsreel parody)
"Draftee Daffy" (on 4th volume, Daffy avoiding the draft board. Aired many times on tv with other Looney Tunes)
"Super Rabbit" (not  WWII related until the end where Bugs dressed as a marine, on vol 3)
"Fifth Column Mouse"
"Falling Hare" (on 4th volume of DVD set. Bugs vs. a gremlin. Also one of the most common cartoon on public domain tapes/DVDs)
"Daffy The Commando"
"The Swooner Crooner" ("Flock Heed", take on "Lock Heed" aircraft factory, on Vol 3)
"Little Red Riding Rabbit" (the only referance of WWII is the note left from the grandmother that appears for 5 seconds, on Vol 2)
"Plane Daffy" (on vol 4)
"Herr Meets Hare" (Bugs vs. Herman Goerring)
"Russian Rhapsody" (gremlins vs. Hitler)

There's a far more rare video: "Golden Age of Looney Tunes Vol 7: Bugs Bunny" featuring "Bugs Bunny Nips The Nips" that got recalled in the early 1990's

Lantz "Woody Woodpecker & Friends" set:

"Pigeon Patrol"
"Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy Of Company B" (Jazz musician becomes a bugle boy, catchy song popularized by Andrew Sisters play)
"$21 a Day (Once A Month)"
"Ace In The Hole" (Woody wanting to fly an aircraft)
"Ration Bored"
"Pass The Biscuits Mirandy" (hillbillies fighting in the war)

edited: forgot another WWII cartoon from the Lantz DVD and made a slight mistake on the Snafu cartoon titles...

Written By: snozberries on 09/30/07 at 4:07 pm

sweet! Thanks for the in depth info! 

Written By: woops on 09/30/07 at 6:51 pm

Your welcome  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/07 at 1:10 am

The only problem with the cartoon violence was the suburban children in the 1970s and '80s who were watching on Saturday Morning had no firsthand knowledge of real violence. Perhaps "violence" isn't the term I'm looking for.  I'm thinking more of biological cause-and-effect.  You see the "facts of life" in the suburbs did not include the facts of death.  Out in the country where fathers and sons whent hunting and farmers slaughtered livestock, children figured out what was what.  If you shot an animal in the head it did not turn black with a ring of stars encircling it; no, the animal fell to the ground, thrashed a bit, and died, never to move again of its own volition. 

When I was seven years old I witnessed the slaughter of my father's Black Angus bull.  Normally Blanchard's slaughterhouse up Route 13 did it on their premises, but old Beef-O had to be dispatched on site.  Anguses are known for bad temper, Beef-O was worse.  A grievious restraining error by my father caused the beast to asphyxiate himself on his own tether.  Animal husbandry by amateurs sometimes prodouces ghastly results.  Blanchard informed my father the entire carcas would have to rendered waste if not carved up within 12 hours.  Blanchard Brothers descended on our barn with their implements of destruction. They hoisted Beef-O aloft via rope and pulley.  They lobbed his head off and skinned his hide inside of 10 minutes.  Blood, entrails, bone, and gristle cascaded to the barn floor in glistening hues of crimson, pink, yellow, white, and grayish bile.  The stench of the great beast's humors saturated the air with primal presence of death.  An hour earlier Beef-O the bull was master of the farm with his defiant vitality, bawling, flaring, and thrashing about.  An hour later his head awaited the rendering vat while the Blanchard Brothers flayed and rended his flesh with blade and buzzsaw.  Those humors pooled, curdled, and leeched into the floorboards. The residuals clung to the wood and took three years to fade away completely.

I describe the scene at length to illustrate the difference between animation and flesh.  Once I witnessed a scene like that there was no way to confuse the two. 

Mind you, none of that gore interfered with our enjoyment of the product.  When the cuts came back from Blanchard's so many weeks later all prepped and wrapped like Christmas presents, I had the best steak I've ever tasted, and not one has surpassed it in three decades!
;)

Written By: rocker80 on 10/03/07 at 11:29 pm

wow i did not no they banned the loney tunes gee they need to ban alot of todays cartoons  todays toons are much much worse then lony tunes :\'(

Written By: snozberries on 10/04/07 at 8:49 am

When I was seven years old I witnessed the slaughter of my father's Black Angus bull. 

You're probably right about city kids not fully realizing the consequences. I was a suburban kid in the 70's and didn't know much about animals or death but I don't really think I thought that an animal could fall off cliff, get shot point blank in the face, or get blown up with dynamite and survive I just thought it was funny when it happened.  But I definitely could have benefited in my life with more knowledge about the cycle of life.  Speaking of city kids not knowing about animals (this so off topic but I couldn't resist) check out this clip:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=anKhwRz31lQ  ;D

wow i did not no they banned the loney tunes gee they need to ban alot of todays cartoons  todays toons are much much worse then lony tunes :\'(

yeah but the looney tunes they banned were not particularly banned for violence they were primarily banned for seemingly racist content

Subject: 1983 TV Guide article on censorship of Looney Tunes

Written By: Dude111 on 02/25/18 at 6:45 am

All this PC crap is horrible...... Ruining good cartoons from the 70s and earlier FOR NO BLASTED REASOB!!!!!!!!

Written By: Howard on 02/26/18 at 5:22 am

All this PC crap is horrible...... Ruining good cartoons from the 70s and earlier FOR NO BLASTED REASON!!!!!!!!

I don't blame you.

Check for new replies or respond here...