inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Can any1 remember Marilyn who sang "Calling Your Name"?

Written By: sayjay on 09/22/07 at 9:01 am

Just wanted to know if anyone can remember Marilyn.Friend of Boy George if I remember correctly.He was a one hit wonder in the 80's.I wanted to know also ...is he infact Mariln Manson????????

Subject: Re: Can any1 remember Marilyn who sang "Calling Your Name"?

Written By: Henk on 09/22/07 at 10:19 am

Just wanted to know if anyone can remember Marilyn.Friend of Boy George if I remember correctly.He was a one hit wonder in the 80's.I wanted to know also ...is he infact Mariln Manson????????

First things first: Marilyn and Marilyn Manson are definitely not the same.

Marilyn was a British singer/model, born as Peter Robinson. I do remember him, because he had a hit over here with "You Don't Love Me".

From Wikipedia:
Peter Robinson (born November 3, 1962), better known as Marilyn, is a cross-dressing singer who reached fame with his song "Calling Your Name" in the 1980s.

Marilyn was born in Kingston, Jamaica. He grew up in Hertfordshire, England as part of a musical family and was influenced by the songs of Barbra Streisand, Motown and gospel. During his teenage years he began experimenting with his sexuality and image, adopting the blonde hair, makeup and movements of his idol Marilyn Monroe, hence his stage name Marilyn. Coincidentally Monroe died the same year Peter Robinson was born

Marilyn Manson is a US band, fronted by Brian Hugh Warner (aka Marilyn Manson).

From Wikipedia:
Brian Hugh Warner (born January 5, 1969), better known by his stage name Marilyn Manson, is an American musician and artist known for his outrageous stage persona and image as the lead singer of the eponymous band. His stage name was formed from the names Marilyn Monroe and Charles Manson, showing what he considered the ultimate and most disturbing dualism of American culture

Written By: whistledog on 09/22/07 at 1:04 pm

Yes, Marilyn is totally different. 

Marilyn = talented 80s singer
Marilyn Manson = total garbage

Marilyn had several 80s hits, big and small.  Though none of them impacted the charts here in North America, I really like 'Calling Your Name'.  I have the 12" single

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/24/07 at 11:09 pm

I remember Marilyn very well.  Marilyn was friend of Boy George's before the Boy was George back in the London New Romantic scene. He rode to fame on Boy George's coattails.  Then when the Boy got hooked on dope the press used Marilyn as a scapegoat.  The story was Boy George was vehemently anti-drug and would not permit any use by band members or crew.  Then, the story went, it was Marilyn who introduced the Boy to the pleasures of heroin, cocaine, and hash.

Of course, this was a BS attempt at damage control.  Boy George and Marilyn did do dope together, but the Boy got himself hooked. 

Again it was Fleet Street and perhaps Culture Club's PR people.  I don't recall Boy George himself pointing the finger at Marilyn and saying, "It's all his fault!"  The jaundice-yellow press, including a lurid expose in Rolling Stone (circa 08/86), insinuated Marilyn as the instigator.  By the summer of '86, when the story was red-hot, the Boy was already in and out of detox and often disoriented and incoherent (sound familiar?).    By the time Boy George cleaned up his act in '87, he was struggling to salvage his career and was estranged from Marilyn.  The Boy's days as a superstar were over, but he managed several albums, minor hit singles, DJ gigs, and generally kept himself in the public eye. 

The fallout from the bad press doomed Marilyn's career.  "Calling Your Name" was an international hit, as was the album "Despite Straight Lines" (though nothing approaching the success of Culture Club).  Marylin's post-scandal follow-up was in the works with Don Was, but it never got finished.  Marilyn hit the day-job circuit!
::)

Written By: lisa on 07/21/08 at 12:52 am

www.TheMrMarilyn.com

Written By: Bobby on 07/22/08 at 5:20 pm

Yes, Marilyn is totally different. 

Marilyn = talented 80s singer
Marilyn Manson = total garbage

Marilyn had several 80s hits, big and small.  Though none of them impacted the charts here in North America, I really like 'Calling Your Name'.  I have the 12" single

Totally different yet looked uncannily similar . . .

I remember Marilyn and 'Calling your name'. Not a big fan of either but he is certainly a curious product of his time.

Written By: whistledog on 07/22/08 at 9:02 pm

he is certainly a curious product of his time.

For a moment, I almost tohught that said circus and I was gonna reply "well, with all that make-up, he sure could pass for a circus clown" LOL

Written By: johnny5alive on 07/22/08 at 10:11 pm

Marilyn Manson = total garbage..........................................    karma for that! ;D

Written By: Bobby on 07/23/08 at 9:31 am

For a moment, I almost tohught that said circus and I was gonna reply "well, with all that make-up, he sure could pass for a circus clown" LOL

And you wouldn't be wrong either, lol. All that's missing from Marilyn and Boy George is a crazy car and a set of custard pies to fling at each other.

Written By: whistledog on 07/24/08 at 12:14 am

And you wouldn't be wrong either, lol. All that's missing from Marilyn and Boy George is a crazy car and a set of custard pies to fling at each other.

One of those small cars?  Perhaps one that could also fit Pete Burns and Dame Edna ;D

Written By: Gis on 07/24/08 at 6:54 am

One of those small cars?  Perhaps one that could also fit Pete Burns and Dame Edna ;D
They could drive one, Marilyn and Boy George could be in the other.  ;D

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 07/25/08 at 8:48 pm

There are some Then & Now photos of Marilyn over at awfulplasticsurgery.com. Apparently, he's had some odd implant placed into the tip of his nose and kind of looks like the puppet Madame now, which is really sad:

http://www.awfulplasticsurgery.com/archives/004628.html

Written By: Bobby on 07/27/08 at 6:05 am

There are some Then & Now photos of Marilyn over at awfulplasticsurgery.com. Apparently, he's had some odd implant placed into the tip of his nose and kind of looks like the puppet Madame now, which is really sad:

http://www.awfulplasticsurgery.com/archives/004628.html

Ha ha, he looks like The Tin Man from The Wizard of Oz.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 07/27/08 at 6:49 am

Ha ha, he looks like The Tin Man from The Wizard of Oz.

I didn't even think about that, but you're right, his nose does look like the Tin Man's!  :o

Written By: Bobby on 07/27/08 at 6:52 am

I didn't even think about that, but you're right, his nose does look like the Tin Man's!  :o

Maybe Marilyn is on his way to the Wizard to get himself a heart . . . probably through plastic surgery, lol.

Check for new replies or respond here...