inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What 80's pop starlets do you hear on the radio today?

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/07/07 at 9:15 pm

It just occured to me that the only song I ever hear of Paula Abdul's on the radio is 'Straight Up'. And didn't she have 6 #1's?

It's weird how she, and so many other singers like Jody Watley, Debbie Gibson, Samantha Fox, Tiffany, Martika, and Taylor Dayne had big hits, but they never play any of thier music now, except for maybe their biggest single, like 'Looking For a New Love' from Jody, and 'I'll Be Your Shelter' and 'I'll Always Love You' (on smooth jazz stations) from Taylor. I never hear anything from those other artists.

There are even many, many hits that I never hear being played on the radio from Whitney or Mariah. They had so many, but they only play a select few in rotation. Mariah's had like 14 #1's, and I think the only songs I ever hear of hers on the radio are 'Dreamlover', 'Emotions', 'Hero', 'Can't Let Go' (ALL the time on smooth jazz stations), and 'We Belong Together'. I think the only Whitney songs are ever hear are 'I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)', and 'How Will I Know', plus 'Saving All My Love For You' on smooth jazz.

With Mariah, I never hear them play anything but some of her #1's. She had alot of hits that charted respectably under #1.......

Subject: Re: What 80's pop starlets do you hear on the radio today?

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/07/07 at 9:32 pm

I've noticed that too. "Straight Up" gets played on a few different stations around here too, but that's the only one of hers I've heard since the late '90s. Ironically, early Nineties period songs seem to have disappeared MORE than the bulk of the '80s! A good chunk of the early MTV era songs still get airplay (even if some of the deeper tracks have kinda disappeared over time, most artists still have at least one song), but even alot of pop that was huge in 1989-1993 seems to be ignored now. Michael Bolton, for instance.

Rock from then still gets played, though, esp. alternative or stuff like Metallica, but the only answer I can think of as to why pop has fallen largely off the radar is because it's so transitional. Like a little too urbanized and close to the Nineties, for '80s-oriented stations to play it, yet too polished and mainstreamized for '90s stations.

Written By: robby76 on 10/08/07 at 9:40 am

Taylor Dayne's "Love Will Lead You Back" gets played almost daily (no exaggeration either) on this one Light FM radio station.

Written By: whistledog on 10/08/07 at 10:44 am

The Classic Hits station I listen to always plays I'm Still Searching by Glass Tiger.  I hear it atleast once a day almost

Written By: Timm on 10/08/07 at 12:12 pm

Like anything else, people get sick of hearing certain songs over time, and the people who pick the play lists these days probably are sick of those certain songs. But over time they get a craving for them and they will start putting them in the rotation again.

I listen to Sirius radio mostly here, and have Hair Nation (80's hair metal station) and the Big 80's(80's pop) as my first 2 preprogrammed stations. I hear certain songs that were real popular when they came out, but I just don't want to hear them now and turn the station, then there are others that I kick back and go back to a time when that song was current, and those feelings change from week to week.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/08/07 at 5:19 pm

Rock from then still gets played, though, esp. alternative or stuff like Metallica, but the only answer I can think of as to why pop has fallen largely off the radar is because it's so transitional. Like a little too urbanized and close to the Nineties, for '80s-oriented stations to play it, yet too polished and mainstreamized for '90s stations.

Possibly. Or maybe radio stations consider this kind of music to be too cheesy. I know they refuse to play Debbie Gibson's "Lost In Your Eyes" on VH1.

But I think maybe in 10 or 20 years, 80's pop songs will be considered to be "oldies", and stations will start playing them again. I don't know how long it took for stations to play, for example. 60's hits in the 70's and 80's.....

Written By: pcxo1 on 10/09/07 at 3:47 pm

That's why I have satalite radio!!!  I hear a lot more variety....rare songs too, that haven't been played in decades on the radio!  XM plays old shows of American Top 40 as they aired which is fun to listen too

Written By: ldivinag on 10/23/07 at 5:13 am

That's why I have satalite radio!!!  I hear a lot more variety....rare songs too, that haven't been played in decades on the radio!  XM plays old shows of American Top 40 as they aired which is fun to listen too

ditto...

i have both XM and sirius.  though i mainly listen to the dance channels (THE STROBE on sirius and CHROME on XM), i still have the 80's channels programmed for both...

and since i like mixed dance songs:

XM on the 80's channel has a 30 min mix show called TOE JAMS

XM's CHROME has a friday and sat nite mix show.  it runs about 3 hours.

sirius' THE STROBE mixes on sat nite with DENNY TERIOS mix show that runs about 4 hours.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/24/07 at 3:52 am

Possibly. Or maybe radio stations consider this kind of music to be too cheesy. I know they refuse to play Debbie Gibson's "Lost In Your Eyes" on VH1.

But I think maybe in 10 or 20 years, 80's pop songs will be considered to be "oldies", and stations will start playing them again. I don't know how long it took for stations to play, for example. 60's hits in the 70's and 80's.....

That's a good point actually, I'd never thought about this. I guess some songs disappear in that middle period where they're older, but still too new for people to want them back. I wonder how often this has happened. I think '60s songs were always around, from what I know. Alot of '80s have been too (although certain ones have dropped off or are less popular). The early '90s seems to be the most forgotten in general.

As far as Satellite radio goes, I'm sure it's nice to have for more personalized tastes. Even though the lack of commercials would be cool, in an ironic way that would also be kind of a loss. I think the DJs and advertizements give it a more "human" feeling. I listen to some of the morning personalities sometimes as well.

Written By: joemel on 10/28/07 at 2:05 pm

i listen to a local radio station and monday to thursday 7-8pm they do '80's anthem's'  :)
its great when i'm out the kitchen, clearing up after tea  :)
i can post a link..if you want & if it's allowed

Written By: johnny5alive on 11/16/07 at 1:47 am

we used to have a great 80's station here in portland but not anymore,  another station plays some duran duran and the clash or billy idol but not much else from the 80's! :\'(

Written By: Class of 84 on 11/16/07 at 7:57 pm

That is interesting to note, about the replays of American top 40. This past summer I was driving in western Ohio and heard American top 40 playing the countdown from 1983! I tuned in in the middle of Wishing by Flock of Seagulls, and when Kasey came on, I thought I had gone through a time portal back to the 80's. Oh how I wish it was true!

Check for new replies or respond here...