inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Kate Bush

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/12/07 at 10:18 pm

http://gaffa.org/wow/k22.jpg

Is anyone else a fan? I'm a huge fan, and there don't seem to be even many casual fans in the U.S.

She had one top 40 hit here with 'Running Up That Hill' in 1985, a song which no one here seems to remember.

I had absolutely know idea she even exsisted until the summer of 2006 when I caught her name on a music review website, and checked her out out of curiousity. I didn't really have any intention of buying any of her albums, but then my mom happend to come home from a vacation in Oregon with her Dreaming album on casette. My brother who she was visiting reccomended her when they found it in a thrift store. I liked some of the songs, but I had a hard time getting into it. I got Hounds Of Love next, and only liked 3 of the songs. Then I asked for Lionheart and Never For Ever for Christmas, and liked them a little better. Then I got her debut The Kick Inside, and fell absolutely in love with her. I listened to her obsessively, and she became my favorite artist. Now The Smiths have replaced her  :-\\....Kate  was my role model, but now Morrissey is. I thought of her as being absolutely perfect and attractive in every way, the way I think about Morrissey now..................................................................

Anyway, I think her first two albums are her absolute best. I listened to them more than anything else her catalogue. And I hate that so many people dislike Lionheart. It's one of my favorite albums, next to her debut. Her last 4 albums I've had a harder time getting into, though. I really dislike her last album, Aerial. It got rave reviews though, and most of the fans seem to love it.

And they've been playing This Woman's Work on a CSI commercial! I was SO excited when I heard it on T.V., since she is so incredibly obscure here.

Subject: Re: Kate Bush

Written By: whistledog on 10/13/07 at 12:11 am

By Top 40 standards, Kate Bush was a one hit wonder in the States yes.  Though, she did chart 4 singles in the US Hot 100.  Here's her singles and album discography for North America ...

SINGLES
1978 - Wuthering Heights
1978 - The Man With the Child in His Eyes
1985 - Running Up That Hill
1987 - Don't Give Up <w/ Peter Gabriel>
1989 - The Sensual World
1993 - Rubberband Girl

ALBUMS + EPs
1978 - The Kick Inside
1980 - Never For Ever
1982 - The Dreaming
1983 - On Stage (EP)
1983 - Kate Bush (EP)
1985 - Hounds of Love
1986 - The Whole Story
1989 - The Sensual World
1993 - The Red Shoes
2005 - Aerial

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/13/07 at 12:47 am

I'm only familiar with "Running Up That Hill". Great song!

Written By: rsbryswrrl on 03/10/08 at 1:15 pm

Love her!  I have a bunch of her albums in all different formats - record, cassette and cd.  I haven't bought her newest one "Aerial" yet though.  I guess I should go ahead and spring for it...

Written By: Midas on 03/11/08 at 9:29 am

I have a picture-disc vinyl single of "Rubberband Girl".  I dig "Running Up That Hill". And "Cloudbusting" is sampled in Utah Saints' "Something Good", which is also a cool track. :)

Written By: Katrinawitch on 03/13/08 at 9:56 am

I love Kate Bush!  I remember seeing her on Saturday Night Live back in the late 70's, and liked her, but it wasn't until I saw the movie "She's Having a Baby", and got the soundtrack, that I really loved her.  Her song "This Woman's Work" was hauntingly beautiful.  I subscribe to Sirius Sattelite Radio, and listen to the First Wave (classic alternative) station, and they feature "Runnin' Up that Hill" a lot.

Written By: tv on 03/13/08 at 10:16 am

http://gaffa.org/wow/k22.jpg

Ummm, Beautiful Woman!

Written By: Bobby on 03/13/08 at 10:56 am

Kate Bush has a very distinct singing style that can either fascinate or irritate you. I love the songs 'Babooshka' and 'Running up that hill'. She is also a naturally beautiful woman.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/14/08 at 6:59 pm

Kate Bush has a very distinct singing style that can either fascinate or irritate you. I love the songs 'Babooshka' and 'Running up that hill'. She is also a naturally beautiful woman.

That does sum it up.  She is a wonderful vocalist.  I always wanted to like her more.  My friend Todd was absolutely nuts about her in high school. 

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 03/16/08 at 11:14 am

I always liked her backing vocals on Peter Gabriel's "Games Without Frontiers" and "Don't Give Up."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/17/08 at 6:26 pm

I always liked her backing vocals on Peter Gabriel's "Games Without Frontiers" and "Don't Give Up."

I love "Don't Give Up," her voice just melts my heart!
:-[

"Games" is one of my favorite PG songs, I can't believe I didn't know Kate Bush was backing vocal!  Thanks for the info.

Written By: Bobby on 03/19/08 at 6:42 pm

That does sum it up.  She is a wonderful vocalist.  I always wanted to like her more.  My friend Todd was absolutely nuts about her in high school. 

That's exactly it. Kate Bush is the kind of person you really want to route for but, ultimately, she is either way ahead of her time or too experimental for her own good.

In my opinion, Wuthering Heights sums up this ambiguous feeling I have towards her vocal talent (and I totally believe it is a talent). Some people I know absolutely love this song and some just get annoyed by it. For me, I love the chorus and the rest annoys me, lol.

'Don't give up' is a beautiful song though the video is rather boring.

I will also say, not that it needs to be said, that Kate Bush is sexy without even trying. She does more for me with one look than other women can do completely stark naked.

Written By: whistledog on 03/19/08 at 6:57 pm

"Games" is one of my favorite PG songs, I can't believe I didn't know Kate Bush was backing vocal!  Thanks for the info.

I didn't know that either.  From his post "Sledgehammer" work, "Games Without Frontiers" is my favourite PG song

Written By: nally on 05/08/08 at 11:38 am

The only song of hers that I know is "Running Up That Hill." :) If there was a poll on here, I'd vote for that one. 'Tis a good song. 8)

Written By: dmfan420 on 05/08/08 at 11:42 am

"Cloudbusting" is sampled in Utah Saints' "Something Good", which is also a cool track. :)

Best use of a sample EVER!!

This Woman's Work makes me cry  :-\\

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/09/08 at 1:08 am

I have a picture-disc vinyl single of "Rubberband Girl".  I dig "Running Up That Hill". And "Cloudbusting" is sampled in Utah Saints' "Something Good", which is also a cool track. :)

As is "Something Good (2008 Remix)", which (as the name suggests) came out in 2008.

For a really twisted take on things, however, Google for a guy named Dr. Wilhelm Reich, the Orgone Accumulator, and just to keep it on topic, the Pop Will Eat Itself track Orgone Accumulator, off their 1988 album Now For A Feast

And now you know what that crazy gadget was that Kate was fiddling with in the video. 

Reich may not have known jack about physics or medicine (he was pretty nuts), but he sure had politics understood.  Guy knew enough about the Nazis to get published... but enough about J. Edgar Hoover to get his books burned just a few years later, if you get my drift.  Any similarity between the guys who blowed up the WTC and whackjobs like Fred Phelps and Larry Craig is purely coincidental.  Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/09/08 at 1:52 am

This Woman's Work makes me cry  :-\\
This Woman's Work was used for a children charity around Christmas time, with the pictures this music, made it harrowing.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 05/09/08 at 4:30 am

I love two Kate Bush songs:

Cloudbusting, with a wonderful video featuring Donald Sutherland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRHA9W-zExQ

And the ethereal This Woman's Work, a hauntingly beautiful song of love and loss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm901CXujEg

Written By: Lurker on 05/10/08 at 7:49 pm

Many of Kate's videos can be found on You Tube ... one of my all-time favourite songs is "The Man With the Child in his Eyes" and she is so incredibly beautiful in that video! It floors me that she was only 16 when she wrote and recorded the song. Some of her early videos are very quirky, and she heavily incorporates her mime and dance training.

Katrinawitch, I also remember seeing her on Saturday Night Live in 1978!  She sang "Them Heavy People" and "Man with the Child.."  (accompanied by Paul Shafer from the Letterman Show). 

I think generally people don't quite know what to make of Kate, but I've always loved her music and voice. She's very unique; she doesn't pander to the mainstream.

Check for new replies or respond here...