inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: h

Written By: tetratron on 10/16/07 at 1:45 pm

:-X

Subject: Re: 80's hits that had Sexual/Drug Undertones beneath seemingly harmless lyrics.

Written By: Paul on 10/16/07 at 2:03 pm

Okay, so I am listining to this 80's tape made by a club dj from 1985. I'm not quite sure of the song, but I heard it hundreds of times.

"No way to control it, its totally automatic, whenever you're around."

'Automatic' by The Pointer Sisters, that...

Can he be talking about anything else, besides his *rection? That's what it sounds like.

Er...not quite the first thing that would spring to my mind, but it's your imagination...you're entitled to do whatever you want with it!

Then there was this song called Big Love. I can't remember who sang it. I'm sure someone here will know. The last half of the song has guy and girl making clear orgasm noises. OOO AHHHH OOOO AHHH. I remember seeing this video as a kid, before I knew about orgasms, and thinking that this focused way too much on sex.

'Big Love' - Fleetwood Mac...I think you may be 'reading' a little too much into this...

Heaven knows what you'd make of Miami Sound Machine's 'Love Toy'... :o

Subject: Re: 80's hits that had Sexual/Drug Undertones beneath seemingly harmless lyrics.

Written By: whistledog on 10/16/07 at 2:05 pm

To me, one of the most controversial songs of the 80s was 'Boom Boom (Let's Go Back to My Room)' by Paul Lekakis

"Boom, boom, boom, let's go back to my room, so we can do it all night and you can make me feel right"

Not exactly a radio friendly song, as evident in the US and the UK by missing the Top 40 (US #43 | UK #60), but in other parts of the world, it did just fine, especially in Australia where it topped the chart and in Canada where it peaked at #2

This song was one of the few 80s hits out there that never had a video, and I am sort of glad, because I don't think I'd want to see what kind of video would accompany this song.  Given the way Paul Lekakis danced around shirtless on stages, I think he might not be talking about a girl in this song :D

Written By: snozberries on 10/16/07 at 2:14 pm

Okay, so I am listining to this 80's tape made by a club dj from 1985. I'm not quite sure of the song, but I heard it hundreds of times.

"No way to control it, its totally automatic, whenever you're around." Can he be talking about anything else, besides his *rection? That's what it sounds like.

The song was by the Pointer SISTERS there was no he singing.  She just happened to have a deep voice. I believe that was Bonnie on lead.

What about Staci Q  We Connect.
We Connect
When we're together
It's so perfect
I start to overload
I explode when we connect

I have listened to this song ever since it first got played on the radio. But I guess I was so obsessed with how much it sounds like Two of Hearts to pay attention to the rest of the lyrics. They finally connected for me on an 8 hour road trip to AZ the 80's music was crankin on the MP3 and when this song came on I was like WAIT A MINUTE DID SHE JUST SAY....? SHE DID  :o !

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/16/07 at 2:49 pm

Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Relax... don't do it... when you wanna come.  I think it's blaringly obvious but you'd be surprised how many people don't make the connection.

Also, She Bop by Cyndi Lauper is an homage to masturbation.

Written By: woops on 10/16/07 at 2:50 pm

The song "Joy Stick" from the Dazz Band, though not sure if the lyrics were intended to be naughty...

"Sugar Walls" from Sheena Easton has nothing to do with candy...

Written By: cinnabon on 10/16/07 at 7:01 pm

the chorus of Turn Up the Radio by Autograph seems to be talking about listening to loud music but could be construed as having sexual undertones, but of course I could always be wrong :

"Turn Up the Radio
I Need the Music Give Me Some More
Turn Up the Radio
I want to feel it got to give me some more"

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/16/07 at 8:43 pm

How about "Turning Japanese" by the Vapors? Obviously not about turning into a Japanese person.....

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/16/07 at 8:46 pm

ps. Please no one mention Cyndi Laupers She Bop.

Fine!  But don't come crawling to me asking for an explanation of what the Divinyls' I Touch Myself was about!

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/16/07 at 8:51 pm

Oops.  I didn't see that at the bottom of the original post and I went and mentioned it. :-[

Also, I don't think sexual healing needs any explanation.

Written By: Midas on 10/16/07 at 9:01 pm

The only other line I remember from the totally automatic song, (male singir) was ".... Like a robot at your command"

Um, yeah...that's the Pointer Sisters song.  Bonnie has a deep voice on that one.

Lyrics here

Written By: whistledog on 10/16/07 at 9:03 pm

Here's one from England that was widely popular in Canada ...

Homosapien - Pete Shelley

As we all know, a Homosapien is a person so this song was not about what you think, but actually, it was ...

"And I just hope and pray that the day of our love is at hand
You and I, me and you, we will be one from two, understand? ..."

"...I'm the shy boy
You're the coy boy
And you know we're
Homosapien too"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FVDzCHqlqg

Same sex marriage is legal in Canada, so I bet this song is popular at weddings :D (I only kidd)

Written By: Midas on 10/16/07 at 9:06 pm

And here is the video for Fleetwood Mac's "Big Love".  The "orgasm" sounds start in at about 2m41s in...

Check for new replies or respond here...