inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Analysis: The Cars' hit singles, 1981-1987

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/02/07 at 5:56 am

I'm pretty sure these are their entire singles. They've been one of my favorite bands for quite awhile, and sound extremely Eighties too.

"Shake it Up" - One of their signature songs, which was pretty much just a more mainstream take on their new wave/classic rock powerhouse hit single mix. An ode to dancing and hitting the town after a day's work, it was one of the biggest early MTV songs and influenced alot of their stuff afterwards. A very '80slike song kinda ahead of its time for 1981.

"Since You're Gone" - A song reflecting on the dissolving of a relationship with some cynicism (a Cars trademark). Pretty similar to "Shake it Up", but a little slower and less poppy/cheerful overall.

"You Might Think" - The perfect pop/classic rock hit single in many respects, it wasn't that different from their previous material, just even "cleaner" and more polished. Ocasek is pretty much saying he wants to be with this girl no matter what she thinks of him. It was probably just as memorable for the special effects video with him humorously stalking his girlfriend in all different sizes, shapes and forms, even with a nod to King Kong.

"Magic" - A very happy song all around, with some great poppy yet kinda heavy guitar riffs. It sounds fairly similar to arena-style rock bands like Journey or Foreigner. Classic Summertime song about the electricity he feels about being with someone.

"Drive" - One of their biggest hits with Ben Orr singing. Despite the somewhat sad/depressing subject matter of a disturbed woman rejecting help from people who offer it, it comes across as a catchy and melodic ballad that feels like a very soft arena rock song.

"Hello Again" - I'm not entirely sure what this song is about, but I believe it's tongue in cheek about common things people say to each other (that's how the title came about). With its pop guitar riff, it's pretty similar to the other upbeat Heartbeat City singles, but a little more on the new wave/synthpop side.

"Why Can't I Have You" - As opposed to "Drive", this darker synthpop ballad focuses more on their old-school cynical side. He goes to great lengths, using metaphors to describe this girl he really wants to be with, but is ultimately heartbroken that he can't.

"Tonight She Comes" - Simple and breezy synthpop with some airy and light guitar work. Seems like a happier variation on some of their darker songs if they'd been performed differently. Sounds like it's about this woman who's coming to see him again at some point, and he can hardly wait.

"You Are the Girl" - In one respect, it sounds like The Cars "going late '80s" and taking the next step in being even more commercial of a pop/rock band. On the other hand, it has their typical sound in a middle tempo sense, but in a way that seems fresh. One of their happiest, most fun songs with a bouncy beat and the band telling this one girl she's in their dreams and asking her why she isn't the same as before.

"Strap Me In" - Probably a better idea of what the Door To Door album sounds like. Poppy, but also with harsher and heavier guitar riffing.

Subject: Re: Analysis: The Cars' hit singles, 1981-1987

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/02/07 at 6:55 am

As you know...they are one of my very favorite bands, as well. "Drive" has to be my very favorite song by them.  I love all of their music though. They are the type of band that has music that I love to play in the car, while driving.

Written By: whistledog on 11/02/07 at 11:50 am

Here's a chart rundown of their 80s hits ...

1980 - Touch and Go
1981 - Shake it Up
1982 - Since You're Gone
1984 - You Might Think
1984 - Magic
1984 - Drive
1985 - Hello Again
1985 - Why Can't I Have You
1985 - Tonight She Comes
1986 - I'm Not the One
1987 - You Are the Girl
1987 - Strap Me In
1988 - Coming Up You

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/02/07 at 3:53 pm

i thought they did better on the charts than that.

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/02/07 at 7:37 pm

I love "Drive"-it's the kind of song I like to crank up if I'm feeling sad or depressed.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/03/07 at 2:34 am

Yeah, I'm surprised "Strap Me In" and "Coming Up You" did so poorly. Didn't realize they had no number one hits either. I mean "Drive" is one of the biggest, most recognizable songs of the '80s!

Written By: tv on 11/05/07 at 5:54 pm

The only songs that I recogized that are listed on this thread from "The Cars" are "Shake It Up" and "Drive".

Check for new replies or respond here...