inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rockwell

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/12/07 at 10:59 pm

Hi Guys!

I totally love Rockwell (The guy that sang Somebody's Watching Me) but I've had trouble finding pictures of him because everytime I Google "Rockwell" art by Norman Rockwell pop instead of him.

If anyone has any pics of him, will you please post them?

Thanks so much!

Tiffeny AKA Apollonia1986

Subject: Re: Rockwell

Written By: whistledog on 11/12/07 at 11:13 pm

Rockwell is the son of Berry Gordy, so if you google "Rockwell Gordy", lots of pics come up :)

I like Rockwell also.  Not many people realize that Rockwell was in the US Top 40 twice.  The second was 'Obscene Phone Caller'.  He also did a great song called 'Peeping Tom' on the soundtrack to 'The Last Dragon'.  That soundtrack also had an excellent song called '7th Heaven' by Canadian singer Vanity, who used to be in Vanity 6 before Prince changed it to Apollonia

Written By: snozberries on 11/13/07 at 2:08 am

Rockwell is the son of Berry Gordy, so if you google "Rockwell Gordy", lots of pics come up :)

I like Rockwell also.  Not many people realize that Rockwell was in the US Top 40 twice.  The second was 'Obscene Phone Caller'.  He also did a great song called 'Peeping Tom' on the soundtrack to 'The Last Dragon'.  That soundtrack also had an excellent song called '7th Heaven' by Canadian singer Vanity, who used to be in Vanity 6 before Prince changed it to Apollonia

Jason is like the frickin' wikipedia of music trivia here! Amazing.  I liked Obscene Phone Caller better than Somebody's Watching Me but that's because it got less play.  I had Rockwell's cassette but for some reason only listened to these two songs.

Seventh Heaven is my second favorite song from Last Dragon. The Glow by Willie Hutch is my first.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/13/07 at 1:23 pm

Gosh! Thanks for the Google tip! I really appreciate it! I thought Rockwell was so cute in "Somebody's Watching Me."

When I first heard the song, I didn't realize Michael Jackson sang background on it and that's probably why I like the song so much. LOL.

I have yet to see The Last Dragon. I like Vanity.  :)

Thanks again!

Written By: snozberries on 11/13/07 at 2:29 pm

Treat yourself with a screening of it... its a great 90's hip hop/kung fu/comic book camp film.  Kiss my Converse! 

Written By: Paul on 11/13/07 at 2:36 pm

He also did a very ropey cover of The Beatles' 'Taxman', which thankfully, almost everyone found too taxing... :P

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/15/07 at 1:02 pm

I had no idea he was Berry Gordy's son until VH1 One Hit Wonders... I agree that the songs' popularity came from MJ's hook.  Well it increased the songs's popularity. Everyone was trying to work with Michael Jackson in those days.  Ebony and Ivory was our class theme in the 6th Grade.

Written By: Mushroom on 11/15/07 at 9:30 pm

Ebony and Ivory was our class theme in the 6th Grade.

LOL, that was the Theme Song for my graduating High School class in 1983.

Written By: nally on 11/15/07 at 9:33 pm

I had no idea he was Berry Gordy's son until VH1 One Hit Wonders... I agree that the songs' popularity came from MJ's hook.  Well it increased the songs's popularity. Everyone was trying to work with Michael Jackson in those days.  Ebony and Ivory was our class theme in the 6th Grade.

...and Mr. Rockwell wasn't even a one hit wonder; he had another hit called "Obscene Phone Caller", as WD mentioned above. I do not know said song, but I think "Somebody's Watching Me" is fun to listen to.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/15/07 at 10:03 pm

One of my favorite moments regarding "Somebody's Watching Me" is that in the pilot episode of Miami Vice, Philip Michael Thomas' charachter is dancing like an idiot to the song while a stripper performs to it onstage in a bar.

I laugh myself to tears everytime I see it.  8)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 11/16/07 at 1:08 am

Rockwell:

Real Name- Kennedy Gordy
Stage Name Origin: Claimed he could "rock well".

Notable songs: Somebody's Watching Me, Obscene Phone Caller, Genie Of Love
Biggest Era: 1884-89

Trivia: Videos can be found on YouTube.

Check for new replies or respond here...