inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: So I finally watched Dirty Dancing for the first time.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/13/07 at 8:41 pm

It was a little different than I was picturing, but was a great romance drama and period piece nonetheless. The story is pretty much about this 17-year old nicknamed Baby, who goes up to a resort hotel with her parents and sister. Over time, she ends up being drawn into dancing. When the most popular female dancer has an emergency and can't be at one of the functions, the main instructor Johnny agrees to teach Baby the steps to fill into her role. Over time a close friendship and relationship starts forming between them...albeit in a devoted, fairly innocent way...to where they're looking out for the other one. To the dismay of her dad initially. But it's really a romantic movie that draws you in and makes you like most of the characters.

Funny, because I had two misconceptions about it initially. I assumed it was more of a comedy and kinda lighthearted, and I also thought it took place in the '50s. I really think setting it in 1963 was perfect, because while it was slightly different, it was still the tail end of the Fifties era when things had a perceived quiet innocence. That made the movie actually seem much more romantic than if it had been during, say the British Invasion era.

I think they did good with the songs too. The actual oldies were playing in the movie, but they also found the perfect way to put some '80s pop songs written for the movie in there with it. Those just seemed to be playing to the audience in a "voiceover" way, and not a part of the actual movie which the characters could have heard.

Subject: Re: So I finally watched Dirty Dancing for the first time.

Written By: whistledog on 11/13/07 at 9:07 pm

You are just seeing that movie now?  My god man, where've you been the last 20 years? :D

The one thing that still confuses me about Dirty Dancing is how the modern songs like 'Hungry Eyes' or 'Time of My Life' fit into the film as it's set in the 60s.  On another board I belong to, someone once stated that the movie 'Dirty Dancing' reminds them so much of the 80s, and some smart alec responded with "Yeah, nothing like a movie that's set in the 60s to remind you of the 80s" ;D

Written By: karen on 11/13/07 at 9:19 pm

You are just seeing that movie now?  My god man, where've you been the last 20 years? :D

The one thing that still confuses me about Dirty Dancing is how the modern songs like 'Hungry Eyes' or 'Time of My Life' fit into the film as it's set in the 60s.  On another board I belong to, someone once stated that the movie 'Dirty Dancing' reminds them so much of the 80s, and some smart alec responded with "Yeah, nothing like a movie that's set in the 60s to remind you of the 80s" ;D

But those songs weren't in the charts before the film came out were they?  (fingers crossed)

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/13/07 at 9:59 pm

Yeah, some of them I'm slow with catching up to, but in one respect it's cool because I can still see "new" '80s movies! Yeah, I think the 1988 songs added to the atmosphere from our perspective, but weren't "in the movie" per se. Like the characters couldn't hear them because they were playing over it, like movie scores are. The new songs were probably inspired by that era, so they probably could've actually come out then if they were recorded differently.

Written By: Biff Tannen on 11/13/07 at 10:52 pm

Jeezus McFly, if it took you 20 years to finally watch this movie then I gotta wonder if you did my homework like I told ya to!  Think, McFly, think!  Now make like a tree and get outta here!

Written By: whistledog on 11/13/07 at 11:09 pm

But those songs weren't in the charts before the film came out were they?  (fingers crossed)

They came with the movie and charted as songs from the soundtrack.  Dirty Dancing had 5 hits, one of which was an actual 60s song that ended up re-charting ('Do You Love Me' by the Contours; which didn't appear on the actual soundtrack, but the follow-up release titled 'More Songs from Dirty Dancing') :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/13/07 at 11:20 pm

Well...this is one of my all-time favorite movies. I love everything about it...the actors, the music, the time period, the setting, the sexual tension between Johnny & Baby, the dancing....just everything.

I love the whole mountain resort setting too. That's one of the main reasons why I love this movie so much. A lot of those mountain resorts are a dying breed..I mean, I have tons of websites linking places just like this one....only they are now defunct and totally rundown. It is cool to see how vibrant this resort is, in the movie. For those of you who don't already know..they filmed most of the movie (most of the outside shots) at a place in Virginia called, Mountain Lake. You can stay there today..and they even have a "Dirty Dancing" weekend getaway.

http://www.mountainlakehotel.com/

I love the innocent nature of Baby, in this movie. I love the scene when she first witnesses the group "dirty dancing"...it's like her eyes were totally opened up to a whole new experience, with that one viewing. I love her first words uttered to Johnny, "Hi, I carried a watermelon"....so shy and innocent. It just really gives a great example of the typical "school girl having a major crush on the bad boy" thing, that most of us have gone through in real life. I think the characters are so easy to relate to in this movie, so much, that after watching it...I sort of feel upset that it has to be over, and I feel like I have actually gotten close to/acquainted with the characters.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/14/07 at 6:30 am

the thing that bothers me about this movie is that it never really looks like its the 60's. everything and everyone looks much more 80's.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/14/07 at 4:02 pm

the thing that bothers me about this movie is that it never really looks like its the 60's. everything and everyone looks much more 80's.

Doesn't it seem like most period piece movies tend to come off as a modern interpretation of the time it was set in? Whether or not they're even trying to, it'll usually have traces of the time it was filmed. This could be the general way people act, certain fashions, slang words or other things which kinda slip in.

Jennifer Grey does kinda have that Eighties look to her. I also think the new songs for the movie sound late '80s, but evoke the mood of the '50s. Like I'm sure "I've Had the Time of My Life", "Overload" and "Hungry Eyes" could've been real Fifties songs if they didn't have the synthesizers and polished electric guitars.

P.S. Even though it's certainly not a comedy per se, I agree that "watermelon" line was one of the few comedic moments of the movie. ;) Lots of people will act that way when they're either shy or a newcomer to something (speaking from personal experience, lol).

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/14/07 at 4:07 pm

Jeezus McFly, if it took you 20 years to finally watch this movie then I gotta wonder if you did my homework like I told ya to!  Think, McFly, think!  Now make like a tree and get outta here!

My dad did your homework, not me. ;D

Written By: Biff Tannen on 11/14/07 at 5:19 pm

My dad did your homework, not me. ;D

Cripes, it took ya nearly as long to come back with that as it did to watch the movie!  HELLO?!?

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/15/07 at 12:57 pm

I wanted to take a moment to Congratulate you Marty..lol  I loved this movie. I think they did well portraying the time period. Some of the songs were from the 50s-60s. But it was a great movie..."Baby..is that your name..go back to your playpen...baby !!!"

Written By: Davester on 11/15/07 at 3:31 pm

;D ;D ;D

Written By: snozberries on 11/17/07 at 12:41 am

It was a little different than I was picturing, but was a great romance drama and period piece nonetheless. The story is pretty much about this 17-year old nicknamed Baby, who goes up to a resort hotel with her parents and sister. Over time, she ends up being drawn into dancing. When the most popular female dancer has an emergency and can't be at one of the functions, the main instructor Johnny agrees to teach Baby the steps to fill into her role. Over time a close friendship and relationship starts forming between them...albeit in a devoted, fairly innocent way...to where they're looking out for the other one. To the dismay of her dad initially. But it's really a romantic movie that draws you in and makes you like most of the characters.

Funny, because I had two misconceptions about it initially. I assumed it was more of a comedy and kinda lighthearted, and I also thought it took place in the '50s. I really think setting it in 1963 was perfect, because while it was slightly different, it was still the tail end of the Fifties era when things had a perceived quiet innocence. That made the movie actually seem much more romantic than if it had been during, say the British Invasion era.

I think they did good with the songs too. The actual oldies were playing in the movie, but they also found the perfect way to put some '80s pop songs written for the movie in there with it. Those just seemed to be playing to the audience in a "voiceover" way, and not a part of the actual movie which the characters could have heard.

Congratulations! Tho I'm kind of jealous... the memory of that first screening is so vivid for me... I wish I could see the movie for the first time all over again.

I like the way the melded the 80s music and 60s music together too... I think it was easy to do because- as you and I have both said on other boards the 80s had a love affair with the music of the 50's & 60's it seemed to crop up in a lot of films (and a lot of 80s films were set in the 60s as well...)

There's only change I would make in the film- and this would be an added scene-  I has always bugged me that after Baby reveals that she and Johnny slept together (disappointing her father) we never really get to see the mother's reaction.. the "Sit down Jack!" in the final scene is not enough... I would've liked a discussion between Frances and her mom... (out of respect I didn't call her Baby twice  ;D)

Um Erin- I don't know if you ever read about my meeting Kelly Bishop (the mom) when I posted it on another board but since my new friend lemonverbina probably never saw it I will post it just once  more for posterity.

I was fortunate enough to attend an event honoring Gilmore Girls... after the event there was a brief meet & greet, autograph session. Upon meeting Kelly Bishop I told her Dirty Dancing was one of my favorite films... instead of saying she looked at me, perplexed, and asked "Why" guess she wasn't as proud of it as I thought she'd be... I had to explain the whole feel good experience and why it spoke to me... :(

Erin- I may have posted it

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/17/07 at 1:35 am

Congratulations! Tho I'm kind of jealous... the memory of that first screening is so vivid for me... I wish I could see the movie for the first time all over again.

I like the way the melded the 80s music and 60s music together too... I think it was easy to do because- as you and I have both said on other boards the 80s had a love affair with the music of the 50's & 60's it seemed to crop up in a lot of films (and a lot of 80s films were set in the 60s as well...)

There's only change I would make in the film- and this would be an added scene-  I has always bugged me that after Baby reveals that she and Johnny slept together (disappointing her father) we never really get to see the mother's reaction.. the "Sit down Jack!" in the final scene is not enough... I would've liked a discussion between Frances and her mom... (out of respect I didn't call her Baby twice  ;D)

Um Erin- I don't know if you ever read about my meeting Kelly Bishop (the mom) when I posted it on another board but since my new friend lemonverbina probably never saw it I will post it just once  more for posterity.

I was fortunate enough to attend an event honoring Gilmore Girls... after the event there was a brief meet & greet, autograph session. Upon meeting Kelly Bishop I told her Dirty Dancing was one of my favorite films... instead of saying she looked at me, perplexed, and asked "Why" guess she wasn't as proud of it as I thought she'd be... I had to explain the whole feel good experience and why it spoke to me... :(

Erin- I may have posted it

wow, I never read that before....hmmm..I just don't know how anyone couldn't love this movie..especially being apart of it. Although...we don't know what happened behind the scenes all the time..so, who knows, huh?

Written By: snozberries on 11/17/07 at 2:32 am

wow, I never read that before....hmmm..I just don't know how anyone couldn't love this movie..especially being apart of it. Although...we don't know what happened behind the scenes all the time..so, who knows, huh?

true enough... when I learned that my second favorite scene - where Baby & Johnny are rehearsing and she cracks up every time he runs his hand down her body...  that wasn't scripted... Jennifer Grey was ticklish and/or had the giggles and Patrick Swayze was really annoyed with her and just wanted to get through the scene.  The director liked it and kept it in.

I was shocked to learn they didn't get along- it started with Red Dawn- because their chemistry is sooo great  but i guess its that thin line between love and hate thing...

for the record my favorite scene is when Penny and Johnny are showing Baby the steps... Baby is in between them looking at her feet and then up at Johnny. Johnny never breaks eye contact with  Penny.  What they are not saying in that scene speaks louder than the dialogue from most films. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/17/07 at 8:52 pm

true enough... when I learned that my second favorite scene - where Baby & Johnny are rehearsing and she cracks up every time he runs his hand down her body...  that wasn't scripted... Jennifer Grey was ticklish and/or had the giggles and Patrick Swayze was really annoyed with her and just wanted to get through the scene.  The director liked it and kept it in.

I was shocked to learn they didn't get along- it started with Red Dawn- because their chemistry is sooo great  but i guess its that thin line between love and hate thing...

for the record my favorite scene is when Penny and Johnny are showing Baby the steps... Baby is in between them looking at her feet and then up at Johnny. Johnny never breaks eye contact with  Penny.  What they are not saying in that scene speaks louder than the dialogue from most films. 

Yes, I had read that too..about them not getting along..and the impromptu scene...very cool.  Oh, and I love that scene too....when they are instructing her dancing..etc. Is it just me...or does it make you "hot" too? ;D :D

Written By: snozberries on 11/17/07 at 10:42 pm

Yes, I had read that too..about them not getting along..and the impromptu scene...very cool.  Oh, and I love that scene too....when they are instructing her dancing..etc. Is it just me...or does it make you "hot" too? ;D :D

they definately heat up the screen... this is maybe the only film I would consider doing anything with Patrick Swayze... :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/17/07 at 10:44 pm

they definately heat up the screen... this is maybe the only film I would consider doing anything with Patrick Swayze... :D

same here..I mean, he does look the most attractive in this movie. It's not only him though...the girls had it going on in this scene too! ;)

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/19/07 at 8:35 am

Snozberries,  She could have been a bit more gracious, dang.  How bout a "glad you liked it..."  Patrick Swayze was quite the man for a while following that movie.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/19/07 at 9:51 pm

Four words:  "Last week's Family Guy."

Written By: snozberries on 11/19/07 at 10:09 pm

I missed Family Guy was it genuinly funny or is it gonna piss me off?

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/20/07 at 12:14 am

I missed Family Guy was it genuinly funny or is it gonna piss me off?

Yes.

Written By: snozberries on 11/20/07 at 2:08 am

Yes.
;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/20/07 at 4:39 am

After all these since the release of Dirty Dancing I have still not seen it.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/20/07 at 5:34 am

Try it, you'll like it  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/20/07 at 9:15 am

Try it, you'll like it   ;)
If it is on televison over the Christmas Hoilday Season I will.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/09/08 at 10:11 pm

this thread makes me wanna watch it yet again!! :)

Gosh...I've been thinking about Patrick Swayze too..I sure hope he beats his cancer. :-\\

Written By: whistledog on 06/09/08 at 10:18 pm

Here's one for 80sTrivmeister:

From the Golden Girls.  Rose and Blanche are learning to Dirty Dance

Dorothy:  Oh, like in that movie?
Rose:  What movie?
Dorothy:  The Purple Rose of Cairo ...  Dirty Dancing you idiot!

;D

Written By: Shacks Train on 06/22/08 at 7:58 am

Your not missing much!!!!
As for most of Swayze movies the Air Force should drop those kinds of bombs instead!
It only got mainstream attention because of the tittle!
It was nothing special!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/22/08 at 9:36 am

As for most of Swayze movies the Air Force should drop those kinds of bombs instead!
It was nothing special!

only mainstream attention? I beg to differ with you on that one. This movie (that is now 21 years old) is STILL one of the most popular "cult classic" types of movies out there. I mean, what kind of person has not wished at some point that they weren't Baby, or Johnny Castle? It's one of those movies that will never stop being known, or loved. People can relate to this movie, especially females. There's something about a coming of age movie, set in a great era, with equally great music. The best combination to me. ;)

Oh, btw, I just watched it again last night. I never get tired of this movie. :D

Written By: snozberries on 06/22/08 at 3:10 pm

It was nothing special!

Excuse me but there are lots of people who LOVE this movie!!! 

I was in the theater, 8pm showing, the day it opened and that theater was packed.

Last year it was re-released in 300 theaters for one weekend to mark the 20th anniversary. I went to the 8pm screening on Saturday night and though not sold out the theater was packed!  Considering anyone who's a fan of this film has the DVD sitting on their shelf at home.... I have two copies one in CA and one in AZ.... the fact that people still wanted to watch this movie in the theaters speaks volumes about how much the film is adored. 

For the record here are the box office results for this film

Released      Movie Name      1st Weekend    US Gross      Worldwide Gross   
8/21/1987   Dirty Dancing           $3,900,000       $63,892,689         $213,900,000  

Some box office facts:

The movie opened at #4. 

It was in theaters for 19 weeks.

Dirty Dancing was ranked in the top 10 for 16 weeks out of its 19 week & was ranked in the 12th position for 2 weeks &13th for a week

During its 3rd & 4th week, it played in a little over a 1000 theaters & for both of those weeks the film ranked #2 at the box office.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=dirtydancing.htm

Written By: Shacks Train on 06/23/08 at 10:23 am

a bomb to me is just a bomb!
Sorry folks I don't like swayze movies!

Its not important how much it made.You can't polish a turd

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/23/08 at 10:25 am

a bomb to me is just a bomb!
Sorry folks I don't like swayze movies!

Its not important how much it made.You can't polish a turd

Boo! Hiss!

Written By: snozberries on 06/29/08 at 10:55 pm

Boo! Hiss!

I'm going to smite him when I get to the smite thread.  >:(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/29/08 at 11:00 pm

I'm going to smite him when I get to the smite thread.  >:(

yes...go for it! :)

Check for new replies or respond here...