inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: looking for info/music file on band and song I remember...

Written By: Demon on 11/16/07 at 2:13 pm

I remember seeing on MuchMusic the video for a band called Oversoul 7 and their song "One and One makes Three" (or something similar to that) from my junior high days in B.C.  It was sometime between 1983 and 1989, although I think it was closer to the middle or end of that time period (1987 sticks in my head for some reason).

Anyone else have any idea what I'm talking about?  and where I might get some more info on the band or a file of that song?  google is not helping at all :(

Subject: Re: looking for info/music file on band and song I remember...

Written By: whistledog on 11/18/07 at 11:07 pm

I can't say as I know of this band.  I can tell you that it was not a chart hit in Canada, but not everything has to chart to be heard in Canada

Now I want to know asbout this song.  I might remember it lol

Written By: karen on 11/19/07 at 8:00 am

googling on "Oversoul7" +lyrics finds a few pages.  One page I read made them sound a very new band though  :-\\

Written By: johnny5alive on 11/19/07 at 11:57 am

hey whistle,  your in canada?  ever hear of the group, "doug and the slugs"?  they had lots of hits in the 80's  i saw them live many times!  always put on a great show!  they were from vancouver!

Written By: snozberries on 11/19/07 at 8:31 pm

hey whistle,   your in canada?  ever hear of the group, "doug and the slugs"?  they had lots of hits in the 80's  i saw them live many times!  always put on a great show!  they were from vancouver!

If its related to music then he has heard of it... the man blows me away with his knowledge of music from the obscure to the sublime!

Written By: whistledog on 11/19/07 at 10:40 pm

hey whistle,   your in canada?  ever hear of the group, "doug and the slugs"?  they had lots of hits in the 80's  i saw them live many times!  always put on a great show!  they were from vancouver!

I grew up listening to Doug and the Slugs :)
They were like the pinnacle Canadian pop band in the 80s, and remained so beloved that when Doug Bennett died a few years ago, it made front page news in many newspapers and TV stations across Canada

They never became a success in America, but they could be heard in a few popular shows and films ... their 1988 hit 'Tomcat Prowl' was written for the film 'Iron Eagle II' and Canadian comic Norm MacDonald used their 1980 hit 'Too Bad' as the theme song for his late 90s sitcom

Written By: snozberries on 11/19/07 at 10:57 pm

^ See what did I tell ya???

You never let me down Jason...karma for making me look good ;)

Q

Written By: whistledog on 11/19/07 at 11:24 pm

^ See what did I tell ya???

You never let me down Jason...karma for making me look good ;)

Q

I am a fountain of musical knowledge ;D

Written By: snozberries on 11/19/07 at 11:57 pm

I am a fountain of musical knowledge ;D

Yes you are!

Written By: johnny5alive on 11/20/07 at 1:05 am

I grew up listening to Doug and the Slugs :)
They were like the pinnacle Canadian pop band in the 80s, and remained so beloved that when Doug Bennett died a few years ago, it made front page news in many newspapers and TV stations across Canada

They never became a success in America, but they could be heard in a few popular shows and films ... their 1988 hit 'Tomcat Prowl' was written for the film 'Iron Eagle II' and Canadian comic Norm MacDonald used their 1980 hit 'Too Bad' as the theme song for his late 90s sitcom
......................  yup saw them twice here in the states with no airplay in this city they sold out both shows here! even went backstage with doug and had some coronas!  ( guess they didnt have molson down here!  lol!)    then we saw them a few times in vancouver and he remembered us!  ....some of his videos have made it on youtube! if you never seen them live, they would  get the audience into every show by going into the crowd with the mike, sometimes while the band was still playng the song, my wife and i got asked  if we knew this song, (by doug)  and said yes as we had the album for years, next thing you know we were on the stage with him singing makin it work! the great thing is...    my wifes sister was taking pictures inbetween laughing!

Written By: Demon on 11/20/07 at 7:46 am

Ah, Doug and the Slugs, great band, fun music!  Never did get the chance to see them live, although a friend of mine many times.  Similar to johnny5alive's experience, he too was asked to join them on stage a few times - once he even sang Makin it Work while Doug took a beer break!
---

googling on "Oversoul7" +lyrics finds a few pages.  One page I read made them sound a very new band though  :-\\

Yep, I've tried googling them too, and I can only find info on a completely different band, prolly the same one you found :( 

Now if only MuchMusic had a searchable database on their website of all the stuff that has passed through their hands (and might still have!)...

Written By: johnny5alive on 11/20/07 at 10:15 am

http://www.dougandtheslugs.com/                   http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=doug+and+the+slugs&search=Search    if the youtube link dont work just search for doug and the slugs! i think they have 3 or 4 videos    the other link is a web page they agreed to make their home page after doug found it online! we have a message board there too! and lots of good info on the band        

Written By: Demon on 11/24/07 at 9:06 pm

Good stuff Johnny, thanks for the links!

Written By: Lurker on 05/05/08 at 11:40 pm

I remember seeing on MuchMusic the video for a band called Oversoul 7 and their song "One and One makes Three" (or something similar to that) from my junior high days in B.C.  It was sometime between 1983 and 1989, although I think it was closer to the middle or end of that time period (1987 sticks in my head for some reason).

Anyone else have any idea what I'm talking about?  and where I might get some more info on the band or a file of that song?  google is not helping at all :(

I had that album and yeah it was released in the late 80s. I went to high school (South Delta Senior) with Adam Gejdos, who was the singer/guitarist. (He's now doing sound work for locally-filmed TV & movies.) My LP is long gone, although I did transfer another song ("Shoulders") from cassette into MP3.

Google doesn't help because 99% of the hits will be for a British rap band also called 'Oversoul 7'.

Written By: Lurker on 05/06/08 at 12:06 am

I had that album and yeah it was released in the late 80s. I went to high school (South Delta Senior) with Adam Gejdos, who was the singer/guitarist. (He's now doing sound work for locally-filmed TV & movies.) My LP is long gone, although I did transfer another song ("Shoulders") from cassette into MP3.

Google doesn't help because 99% of the hits will be for a British rap band also called 'Oversoul 7'.

Edited to add: I forgot to mention the name of the LP I owned was "Fool Revelation".  Google that and you'll find online vendors. I saw one at ebay with the track listing, but it doesn't have 1+1=3. That particular song is available on a multi-disc compilation "Last Call (Vancouver Independent Music 1977-1988)".

Fool Revelation tracklist:

Face A:
    * Beginning
    * Shoulders
    * Over mountain
    * Saint Lee Lights

Face B:
    * Roses
    * All the say
    * Somebody said
    * Catfight at crepuscule

Check for new replies or respond here...