inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I was born in 1977. Am I an Xer???

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/22/07 at 12:58 pm

I was reading an article in a website about different generations, and it said that Generation X is 1965-1980, but another website said that Generation X is 1965-1976.  I'm confused because I'm too old to be a Yer.  I just want to get it out of my chest because I was a child and a preteen in the 80s and a teen and a young adult in the 90s.  This means that I was a child from 1980 to 1986, a preteen from 1986-1989, an adolescent from 1990 to 1995 and a young adult from 1995-1999.  I never liked late 90s teen pop.  I was more into the RnB and rap music from 1985-1998.  Since I'm more into RnB and hip-hop, I think that RnB from 1985 to 1998 was the best.  I was too old to be listening to late-90s teen pop like The Spice Girls, Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, NSync, and what have you.  I was into things like the other late Gen Xers like myself was into like New Jack Swing, Hip-Hop Soul, House, Beavis and Butt-head, jazz-rap, etc.  I mean, I like Destiny's Child, Christina Aguilera, Alicia Keys because they can sing, but on a whole, the majority of music I like as far as my generation is RnB/Hip-Hop music from 1985-1998.  I was more into gospel, neo-soul, 70s music, and mid to late 80s and 90s artists around 1999 and beyond.  I didn't know anything about the internet until I was 22.  I didn't know anything about IPods, MP3 players until this year.  I didn't have my own laptop until this year.  Before then I was into cassettes, walkman's CD players, CD's and vinyls.  I remember too much of the 80s to be considered a Yer.  I went to my first concert when I was 12 in 1989 to see MC Hammer, The Boys, Guy, Three Times Dope, Heavy D, and Kool Moe Dee.  I went through puberty from 11 to 13.  I don't like people calling me a Yer when I don't have anything in common with a Yer.  I had my first radio when I was 8 in 1985.  I had my first stereo when I was 12 in 1989.  I had my first cassette tape when I was 11 which was The Message From The Boys.  I went to see Leviathan and Batman in 1989.  I remember a whole lot of cartoons I used to watch and toys I used to play with from 1980-1987.  I had a Michael Jackson Thriller doll when I was 8 in 1985.  I started getting into pop culture when I hit my preteens.  I remember when I wanted to dance and look like Janet Jackson and Salt n Pepa, and this was in the mid to late 80s, not the 90s.  I remember when I was 11, I was trying to style my hair like Pepa's.  I remember trying to pierce my ears to get a second hole so I can where two earrings in each ear like Pepa.  I may not be an early Xer, but I'm far from a Yer, I know that.  I had more Gen X experiences than Gen Y experiences.  Being called a Generation Yer is an insult to me.  So, what do ya'll think?

Subject: Re: I was born in 1977. Am I an Xer???

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/22/07 at 1:16 pm

I'd say overall X, but with some Y leanings (like the '90s being much more a part of your "heritage"). From my experience, alot of earlier Xers just HATE the '90s with a passion and lump everything from it all together as "crap". I think you've got it good though, since you have elements of both, although yes I would say you belong to X. In some ways I think your childhood and early teen years are what really defines a person, not their high school and college time.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/22/07 at 1:37 pm

1977 is the dividing year between Xers and Yers.  So yes, you are a cusp . . . enjoy it!!! :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/22/07 at 1:48 pm

In terms of pop culture tastes and paying attention to things, even though I was an only child, in some ways I always felt like an "adopted" member of someone born around this time. For instance, one of my best friends was about 4 years older than me (so about your age, Nicolette - I think he was a 1977 or '78er), so I never felt out of place with what they liked or anything.

Written By: snozberries on 11/22/07 at 4:10 pm

I had a Michael Jackson Thriller doll when I was 8 in 1985.  I started getting into pop culture when I hit my preteens.

You know my answer you X'er you....  um didn't you love that this doll was anatomically correct?  ;D I had it too... Actually I still have on in a box somewhere.

From my experience, alot of earlier Xers just HATE the '90s with a passion and lump everything from it all together as "crap".

Not everything that came out of the 90s was crap... just most of it  ;D

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/22/07 at 4:37 pm

You know my answer you X'er you....   um didn't you love that this doll was anatomically correct?  ;D I had it too... Actually I still have on in a box somewhere.

It was more correct.  More importantly, it looked more black! ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/22/07 at 11:24 pm

My thoughts are that anyone born around 1977-1982ish, is on the Generation X/Y cusp.

I was born in 1976, and probally on a Generation X/Y cusp myself, leaning kind of towards Y.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/22/07 at 11:34 pm

Here's an interesting website.

http://www.aginghipsters.com/blog/archives/000493.php

http://www.abanet.org/lpm/lpt/articles/mgt08044.html

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/23/07 at 12:21 am

Here's an interesting website.

http://www.aginghipsters.com/blog/archives/000493.php

http://www.abanet.org/lpm/lpt/articles/mgt08044.html

This is interesting.  Anyone who was born in 1977 is the last TRUE Generation Xer, in my opinion. because they lean on to X than Y, and that's a fact.  And plus, I have more Generation X experiences.  Check out the above post.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/23/07 at 12:27 am

My thoughts are that anyone born around 1977-1982ish, is on the Generation X/Y cusp.

I was born in 1976, and probally on a Generation X/Y cusp myself, leaning kind of towards Y.

You and I are not Yers, I know that  for a fact.  I don't care what those articles say.  There's no way that we can be in the same generation of people that listen to BS teen pop in the late 90s and early 2000s. There's no way that we are in the same generation with Ciara, Chris Brown, Neyo, Britney Spears, Rihanna. NO WAY!!!!!  We're too old to be Yers, and you are definitely not a Yer.  We were both teenagers in the early to mid 90s even though you are a year older than me.  We experienced the same thing and the same culture.  We came from the same time period, so there's no way in hell that we are Yers.  REAL TALK!!!!

Written By: Watcher29 on 11/23/07 at 6:40 am

1979 -1980 is really seen as the last gasp of Generation X and the beginning of Generation Y. With all such things, it is a bit nebulous. I would say you could consider yourself a Gen X'er. I know people born in the late 1950s who do, just because they don't really remember the '60s. By the years they are Boomers, but by culture they are Gen X. So it kind of varies.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/23/07 at 9:38 am

1979 -1980 is really seen as the last gasp of Generation X and the beginning of Generation Y. With all such things, it is a bit nebulous. I would say you could consider yourself a Gen X'er. I know people born in the late 1950s who do, just because they don't really remember the '60s. By the years they are Boomers, but by culture they are Gen X. So it kind of varies.

Thank you for explaining that because I'm far from a Generation Yer.  I don't have anything in common with a Yer.  It's impossible.  I didn't get into pop culture heavily till I was in my preteens (1986-1989)  I'm too old to get into the same things that my 24-year-old cousin and my 18-year-old cousin get into.  They are both Yers.

Written By: Davester on 11/23/07 at 1:34 pm

Thank you for explaining that because I'm far from a Generation Yer.  I don't have anything in common with a Yer.  It's impossible.  I didn't get into pop culture heavily till I was in my preteens (1986-1989)  I'm too old to get into the same things that my 24-year-old cousin and my 18-year-old cousin get into.  They are both Yers.

Congratulations, you're officially an Xer..!

You'll receive your membership card, button and autographed photo in 6 to 8 weeks...

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/23/07 at 2:12 pm

Congratulations, you're officially an Xer..!

You'll receive your membership card, button and autographed photo in 6 to 8 weeks...

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/23/07 at 6:09 pm

Congrads!

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/23/07 at 6:18 pm

Congrads!

HALLELUJAH!!!!! :D

Written By: snozberries on 11/23/07 at 6:31 pm

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/Chel182/LeLe/Untitled-52copy.jpg

Trust in the Q baby girl Trust in the Q!  ;D

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/23/07 at 7:16 pm

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/Chel182/LeLe/Untitled-52copy.jpg

Trust in the Q baby girl Trust in the Q!  ;D

Kumbaya, my Lord, Kumbaya!!!!!!

Written By: Sevin8seviN on 02/04/08 at 1:39 pm

Let's put it this way.......those of us born between 1977 and 1982 are the coolest because we are the transitionals from Gen-X to Gen-Y, so we can essentially pick what generation we belong to as we so desire...Fu*k what anyone else says... 8)

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 03/01/08 at 8:20 pm

Well,  since I was born in 1977, I'm more closer to Generation X because for one thing I'm only a year younger than the person who was born in 1976, so I'm a Gen-Xer more than a Gen-Yer.

Written By: snozberries on 03/01/08 at 8:24 pm

Well,  since I was born in 1977, I'm more closer to Generation X because for one thing I'm only a year younger than the person who was born in 1976, so I'm a Gen-Xer more than a Gen-Yer.

a karma to you for your return  :)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/02/08 at 1:11 pm

Yeah, I would say you certainly fit into Generation X. Anybody that graduated high school in the '90s I think is absolutely an X-er, and I wouldn't say that Generation Y really begins until you get to people that graduated high school in 2000 or later, those born from about 1981 forward.

One thing I have notice though, as years have gone by I think the whole concept of 'generations' being defined by pop culture and the music they listen to seem to be dying out. Up until about 8 or so years ago, when Napster and the whole P2P thing started and the internet really took off, other than radio there really weren't many ways for kids to get into older music. From the '50s through the '90s, the current generation was sort of 'tied' with whatever was popular at the moment. Now with old music videos on Youtube, and P2P networks giving you the ability to download any song at the touch of a button, that's not the case anymore.

Alot of us born in the '80s seem to still be tied with the music and culture '00s, but alot of kids I know born later on in the '90s seem to be really open to liking classic rock, pop, etc., so I think the generations that come along will be alot harder to pigeonhole.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 03/02/08 at 6:32 pm

a karma to you for your return  :)

Thank you for the karma

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/03/08 at 12:51 am

Yeah, I would say you certainly fit into Generation X. Anybody that graduated high school in the '90s I think is absolutely an X-er, and I wouldn't say that Generation Y really begins until you get to people that graduated high school in 2000 or later, those born from about 1981 forward.

One thing I have notice though, as years have gone by I think the whole concept of 'generations' being defined by pop culture and the music they listen to seem to be dying out. Up until about 8 or so years ago, when Napster and the whole P2P thing started and the internet really took off, other than radio there really weren't many ways for kids to get into older music. From the '50s through the '90s, the current generation was sort of 'tied' with whatever was popular at the moment. Now with old music videos on Youtube, and P2P networks giving you the ability to download any song at the touch of a button, that's not the case anymore.

Alot of us born in the '80s seem to still be tied with the music and culture '00s, but alot of kids I know born later on in the '90s seem to be really open to liking classic rock, pop, etc., so I think the generations that come along will be alot harder to pigeonhole.

You make a good point, but I will say getting into older music wasn't too hard before downloading/Napster/P2P became the norm. I will say it was more expensive and time consuming, as if you wanted to "try" out old music, this meant you had the buy the CD or tape to see if you liked it. And it was time consuming because if you wanted to listen to it, you'd have to listen to the radio - and as a lot of us know, if there was a particular song we wanted to hear, we'd have to wait for hours! I usually just taped stuff on my boombox overnight, lol.

I remember (even though this isn't directly related to purchasing music, it's a bit interesting), one time my brother told me about this really addictive song he saw a video for on MTV by No Doubt and we stayed up until 4am until the video reaired, lol. It turned out to be "Spiderwebs." Well, nowadays, kids can just skip onto Youtube, and there you go! It's amazing!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/03/08 at 9:46 pm

You make a good point, but I will say getting into older music wasn't too hard before downloading/Napster/P2P became the norm. I will say it was more expensive and time consuming, as if you wanted to "try" out old music, this meant you had the buy the CD or tape to see if you liked it. And it was time consuming because if you wanted to listen to it, you'd have to listen to the radio - and as a lot of us know, if there was a particular song we wanted to hear, we'd have to wait for hours! I usually just taped stuff on my boombox overnight, lol.

I remember (even though this isn't directly related to purchasing music, it's a bit interesting), one time my brother told me about this really addictive song he saw a video for on MTV by No Doubt and we stayed up until 4am until the video reaired, lol. It turned out to be "Spiderwebs." Well, nowadays, kids can just skip onto Youtube, and there you go! It's amazing!

I remember doing that, and also hearing a good song on the radio and having to wait hours for it to replay, or hope you just happened to be listening at the right time to hear it again. It's amazing how different it is now. If you hear a song you like on the radio, you can just google it and find the song, or maybe even watch the video, right away.

Looking back on it now, the sheer number of hours I spent watching MTV just to see a video to a song I liked is really amazing.

I think you're right about that.  Is there another common identity?  What is it..?

The 70s, by all accounts, were socially hostile towards children.  No high chairs in restaraunts.  No childrens menus.  Some of the highest grossing films of the 70s portrayed children as evil.  Children watched these or watched ads for them or heard people talk about them.  How does that effect someone?  The "R" rating meant that movie night didn't need to be a family function anymore.  The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement (V.H.E.M.T) thanked people to stop breeding.  Children as the result of unwanted or unplanned pregnancies, perhaps even to avoid military service during Vietnam.  The "pill".  First trimester abortions legalized in 1973.  Television-as-babysitter promoted a strong connection to media and a disconnect from the world.  After Nixon, President-as-God (or something slightly more than human) was over.  This promoted skepticism...

The divorce rate spiked in the 70s.  If you, yourself, didn't come from a broken home chances are some of your friends did.  Many weren't raised by either of their natural parents.  How does that effect someone?  It promotes mistrust.  Abortions skyrocketed after Roe v. Wade.  The effect was less people.  That's why X is among the smallest generations...

As for the media's pigeonholing of an entire generation, I think that's one thing they actually got right.  The experience in the 70s and 80s did create an atmosphere of mistrust, skepticism and edginess in a whole bunch of people...

I buy sh*t marketed to X-ers, I use air quotes when I talk, I sigh alot and I own a Human League cassette... ???

You make a great point.

Most generations are bound together by things other than just music or the pop culture of there era. From what I have seen, most baby boomer's do seen genuinely tied together by the anti-war/anti-government attitudes of the 1960s and '70s, and X-ers have common threads due to all the things that you mentioned here.

I think, for the most part, a generation will always have many things in common due to growing up in an era together, and experiencing things that happened in that era in the same way. Even if music become less of a defining factor in the years to come, which I think it will, that probably will never change.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/05/08 at 3:26 am

Yeah I agree with the previous points. I totally admit I have mixed feelings on that personally. On the one hand, there was something really cool about the anticipation of waiting for a certain song you liked to come on the radio, or when I'd wonder what was gonna be on VH1 that day. Same with television and movies. If you managed to catch it on tape, that was like such an accomplishment, lol.

In the early-mid '90s, that was when I really started building up a collection (nothing compared to now, not even close...but still). And even then, I remember when my parents and I would go to rent movies at Blockbuster or shopped at music stores in the mall or something, and if I got just 1 or 2 tapes or videos, I was so excited. I had ALOT to choose from too, especially with music, since I liked current stuff as well as almost anything from the '80s that was "a little older".

Yet, when the Internet really began taking off and even moreso now with YouTube and Limewire, as well as me getting older and having more of my own money and all...that's kinda lost because we can get so much more so easily. At the same time I wouldn't want to trade that in for the old-school ways, even if I miss those ways. Does that make sense?

Hey, welcome back Nicole. :) I basically agree with you. Although I think most generations are defined by their earlier members. So like, I guess about 1964 to '72 born are the more "typical" Xers, the prime teenagers of the '80s.

I'd probably say you're Gen X lite. I always saw people about your age as being like bigger versions of me, just with a little more '80s experience. I had babysitters or friends' older siblings born in the mid 1970s. We're like Eighties kids who probably are fond of both the '80s and '90s. This is something that seems to be a division from the older Xers (and sort of a bridge to Yers). Lots of them seem to group all Nineties music together as "crap". For example, hair metal fans that think that grunge and rap absolutely ruined music.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 03/05/08 at 6:37 pm

Yeah I agree with the previous points. I totally admit I have mixed feelings on that personally. On the one hand, there was something really cool about the anticipation of waiting for a certain song you liked to come on the radio, or when I'd wonder what was gonna be on VH1 that day. Same with television and movies. If you managed to catch it on tape, that was like such an accomplishment, lol.

In the early-mid '90s, that was when I really started building up a collection (nothing compared to now, not even close...but still). And even then, I remember when my parents and I would go to rent movies at Blockbuster or shopped at music stores in the mall or something, and if I got just 1 or 2 tapes or videos, I was so excited. I had ALOT to choose from too, especially with music, since I liked current stuff as well as almost anything from the '80s that was "a little older".

Yet, when the Internet really began taking off and even moreso now with YouTube and Limewire, as well as me getting older and having more of my own money and all...that's kinda lost because we can get so much more so easily. At the same time I wouldn't want to trade that in for the old-school ways, even if I miss those ways. Does that make sense?

Hey, welcome back Nicole. :) I basically agree with you. Although I think most generations are defined by their earlier members. So like, I guess about 1964 to '72 born are the more "typical" Xers, the prime teenagers of the '80s.

I'd probably say you're Gen X lite. I always saw people about your age as being like bigger versions of me, just with a little more '80s experience. I had babysitters or friends' older siblings born in the mid 1970s. We're like Eighties kids who probably are fond of both the '80s and '90s. This is something that seems to be a division from the older Xers (and sort of a bridge to Yers). Lots of them seem to group all Nineties music together as "crap". For example, hair metal fans that think that grunge and rap absolutely ruined music.
I'm glad to be back.  I'm more like the second wave of Gen-Xers because I noticed that second Gen-Xers are most likely going to be teenagers in the mid 80s to early 90s. 

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/06/08 at 12:31 am

Yeah, it is kind of a double edged sword when it comes to the more convenient modern technology, and the simpler ways of the past. Since I don't watch either Fuse or MTV anymore, all of the music video's I've seen for new songs over the past 2 or so years have been on Youtube. It's alot more convenient, but there is something about sitting around and watching music video's for hours with my friends just hoping to see the one's we liked that I do miss. Not to mention that the only video's I watch on Youtube are for songs I already know, so I don't discover new songs nearly as often as I used to.

Yeah, I think the dividing line between early and later Gen X is right around the mid '70s. Anybody born after 1974 or so would've been a bit too young to have been 'true' '80s teens. By comparison, there will probably be a similar line between early and later Gen Y as well, with everybody born after 1993 or so being on the later half.

The interesting thing is that the grunge movement of the early '90s was supposed to be a defining moment for Gen X, with groups like Nirvana, and Pearl Jam being the "voice" of the generation, but there's a large group(probably over half of the gen) that don't even like it. I've always found it strange that your typical "80s person" and your typical "90s person" are so different, yet part of the same generation.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/07/08 at 10:26 am

^ Yeah, I've always thought it was bizarre how the entertainers of a particular era are usually from the previous generation. Lots of times, people their own age probably are too old to get into them, lol. Like lots of average joes who are Kurt Cobain's age probably hate grunge.

Isn't it amazing how fast the older Xers seemed to age in terms of musical taste? Like someone born in 1968 was only about 24 in 1992 and some of them act like they were fifty or something, with their despising rap and alternative. Of course that's not true for everyone, but I have noticed that basic trend with people around that age, at least the more devoted '80s people.

Lots of times it seems to be a narrow ground for people like me who equally love both decades (even if for slightly different things, they're both my growing up times).

Written By: robby76 on 03/07/08 at 10:50 am

I say '65 - '78 and that's that!  ;)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/07/08 at 8:47 pm

^ Yeah, I've always thought it was bizarre how the entertainers of a particular era are usually from the previous generation. Lots of times, people their own age probably are too old to get into them, lol. Like lots of average joes who are Kurt Cobain's age probably hate grunge.

Isn't it amazing how fast the older Xers seemed to age in terms of musical taste? Like someone born in 1968 was only about 24 in 1992 and some of them act like they were fifty or something, with their despising rap and alternative. Of course that's not true for everyone, but I have noticed that basic trend with people around that age, at least the more devoted '80s people.

Lots of times it seems to be a narrow ground for people like me who equally love both decades (even if for slightly different things, they're both my growing up times).

Yeah, I've noticed that too. I know several people, including my dad, who were born in the early '60s that had totally become disinterested in pop culture by 1992 or so, even though many of them were still in there late 20's, and don't forget back in those days it wasn't quite as unusual for those over 30 to still listen to top 40 hits.

I think part of the reason was just how sudden the change was. At the beginning of 1991 nobody really knew what grunge was, and by the time 1992 started, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was the number 1 song in the country. I guess I could see how somebody that was already out of high school by then, and sort of 'set in there ways' in terms of music would just kinda dismiss it.

Here's one way to look at it. If you were born in 1969, and graduated high school in 1987, it was only about 4 or 5 years later that '80s music and pop culture started to become 'uncool'. By the time you were 25, the music you grew up listening to was already irrelevant.

Written By: Spirit of 76 on 03/09/08 at 11:04 pm

1965-76 is not a generation! It's not even accurate wave!  >:(

1- 11 years is not a generation- especially if you put it in between two 18-20 year generations
2- The "bust years" (under 4 million) spanned from the mid 60's to the mid 80's if you were to judge by the baby bust.
3- The downward slop started in the late 50's if you were judge by one single trend
4- People born in the 60's generally came of age in the 80's while people born in the 70's came of age in the 90's. Thus the major cultural split doesn't come until people born in the early 80's who are fueling this decade of youth culture.

If you do a google search you'll find dozens of combinations of dates. That's because 99% of experts, or people quoting these experts are marketers. These people really aren't describing real generations but age markets. Rather they arbitrailly make up a date and then simply make generalizations about that age bracket. If you want a hard and fast description of the generations then look to the works of social historians William Strauss and Howe. They're the only ones I know who actaully have a frame work and real reasons why a generation exists. In fact they said in an upate to their work reciently:

http://www.fourthturning.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3061&page=2

"One questioner asked about the size of Boomers and Millennials, and what difference that will make in a fourth turning. Demographics drive history in several important respects, but they alter the fundamentals of each generation’s lifecycle destiny less than many people think. Those who look to demographics to explain generational differences tend to get birthyear boundaries wrong—for example, defining Gen-X as born between 1965 and 1976, which misses the start of two generations, besides being far too short for any generation. If you define generations in terms of ups-and-downs of birth rates, you have very little to say about any American generation born before 1930. One demographic fact that is quite interesting is how, starting in the 1990s, Americans gave birth to many more babies than demographers were predicting, by applying the “echo boom” bubble in fertile-age women. "

I think that a certain group of people are pushing this 1965-76 marginallization because of two reasons. First Gen Y is really code word for "under 30". In fact the term was originally designed to describe people between 1974-80 in 1993. The second reason is that some marketers couldn't figure out how to market to the the 60's and early 70's crowd so they decided to start a whole new "fresh" generation and throw away the other. Look I grew up with, went to school with, and have been friends with 1977rs all my life. They're not going to convince me that my own peers that I grew up with have more in common someone born in 1994 than they have with me. Besides then the question goes since it seems that marketers want to divide us by culture. Who gets what?

Written By: snozberries on 03/09/08 at 11:08 pm

I remember listening to radio for a song so I could record it onto cassette then getting mad when the dj would talk over the song..now I just use itunes.... I actually bought a couple of songs for 99 cents on itunes even tho I had it on CDs because I was too damn lazy to get up, get the cds and download them.  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/10/08 at 12:06 am

1- 11 years is not a generation- especially if you put it in between two 18-20 year generations
2- The "bust years" (under 4 million) spanned from the mid 60's to the mid 80's if you were to judge by the baby bust.
3- The downward slop started in the late 50's if you were judge by one single trend
4- People born in the 60's generally came of age in the 80's while people born in the 70's came of age in the 90's. Thus the major cultural split doesn't come until people born in the early 80's who are fueling this decade of youth culture.

If you do a google search you'll find dozens of combinations of dates. That's because 99% of experts, or people quoting these experts are marketers. These people really aren't describing real generations but age markets. Rather they arbitrailly make up a date and then simply make generalizations about that age bracket. If you want a hard and fast description of the generations then look to the works of social historians William Strauss and Howe. They're the only ones I know who actaully have a frame work and real reasons why a generation exists. In fact they said in an upate to their work reciently:

"One questioner asked about the size of Boomers and Millennials, and what difference that will make in a fourth turning. Demographics drive history in several important respects, but they alter the fundamentals of each generation’s lifecycle destiny less than many people think. Those who look to demographics to explain generational differences tend to get birthyear boundaries wrong—for example, defining Gen-X as born between 1965 and 1976, which misses the start of two generations, besides being far too short for any generation. If you define generations in terms of ups-and-downs of birth rates, you have very little to say about any American generation born before 1930. One demographic fact that is quite interesting is how, starting in the 1990s, Americans gave birth to many more babies than demographers were predicting, by applying the “echo boom” bubble in fertile-age women. "

I think that a certain group of people are pushing this 1965-76 marginallization because of two reasons. First Gen Y is really code word for "under 30". In fact the term was originally designed to describe people between 1974-80 in 1993. The second reason is that some marketers couldn't figure out how to market to the the 60's and early 70's crowd so they decided to start a whole new "fresh" generation and throw away the other. Look I grew up with, went to school with, and have been friends with 1977rs all my life. They're not going to convince me that my own peers that I grew up with have more in common someone born in 1994 than they have with me. Besides then the question goes since it seems that marketers want to divide us by culture. Who gets what?

I agree. At it's furthest points, you could say anybody born between 1964 and 1982 is in Generation X, since generations are generally supposed to last around 18 or so years.

One problem with the whole generational theory, and I think part of the reason why some people want to make them shorter, is that those born at the beginning have so little in common with those born toward the later part. Someone born in 1964 who grew up in the '70s and '80s is not going to have anything in common with someone born in 1982 that would only know the '80s as a young kid. There perspectives would be totally different.

The same standard can be applied to Generation Y as well. Most experts believe it lasts from about 1982 until 2000. Once again, someone born in 1982 will have a very different world view than somebody born in 2000 who won't even remember 9/11, and will only have a vague memory of the Iraq War/Bush administration

I do agree that 1976ers and 1977ers are both firmly part of Generation X though.

Written By: Spirit of 76 on 03/11/08 at 1:01 am

You're exactly right when it comes to trying to measure a generation by every slight (or predicted) change in pop culture. As you have said, if there is such a difference between people of two neighboring years, wouldn't there be an even bigger gulf with peole born 15-20 years later? When people are trying to define a generation by pop culture, everyone wants to be at the head of a new generation. But who wants to be the ones to stay behind and be the "outdated end" outside of retro fans? Generations are large accumualtive social experiences over the course of it's members lifetimes, not a temporary age marketing bracket. I mean look at all the changes incorporated in the Boomer Generation from the 1960's to today. If we measured them by the same standards we'd probably have about 6 different generations.

As I said I think for some the term Gen Y is code for anyone under 30, which is a hot age group to sell to right now. I'm wondering if the minimum accepted birth year for will rise as more of those born in the later 70's will continue to pass the big 30 mark which for now consists of those born in 77\78?  But even today I know too many people born in 77 and 78 who are frankly real life adults raising families, mowing the yard, and stuck in the daily grind complaining about "those dern kids of today!"

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/11/08 at 2:18 am

Great points so far. I'll just briefly say I think the reason cultural generations are usually about 18 years is because that's about the point where you start crossing the line between an older sibling/cousin and being like a parental figure. 15 to 20 years is really the point where it becomes blurry.

Written By: Spirit of 76 on 03/11/08 at 2:27 am

Of course that's not to say that there can't also be those "Honorary Members" of a generation!  ;)

In case you're wondering Marty this is Echo Nomad and from what I remember you consider yourself "old school"  :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/11/08 at 2:38 am

Of course that's not to say that there can't also be those "Honorary Members" of a generation!  ;)

In case you're wondering Marty this is Echo Nomad and from what I remember you consider yourself "old school"  :)

Oh hey Nomad, I was wondering about that from your sigline.

I basically agree, though. People's experience factors into it too. Like I'm right around the dividing line from X to Y and my peers are all over the board. Like 1976 to '85ers seem like it just depends on however you grew up and what you personally prefer.

P.S. Yeah I feel like a really young guy in terms of personality, but as far as my tastes go, I would say I'm pretty old-school.

Written By: Spirit of 76 on 03/11/08 at 2:53 am

Oh hey Nomad, I was wondering about that from your sigline.

I basically agree, though. People's experience factors into it too. Like I'm right around the dividing line from X to Y and my peers are all over the board. Like 1976 to '85ers seem like it just depends on however you grew up and what you personally prefer.

P.S. Yeah I feel like a really young guy in terms of personality, but as far as my tastes go, I would say I'm pretty old-school.

The 76-85 thing seems to be currently referred to as the "MTV Generation" which in Gen theorists circles might be refered to as a cusp. A cusp is kind of a linking of two ends of two generations that are close enough to share some things culturally which the core elements of each generations may not. It's kinda like living on a state or provincial boarder. While the states\provinces are unique entities in their own right, there are a lot of things that lap over between the border. I use this example because i live on the Il-IW border.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/11/08 at 3:10 am

You're exactly right when it comes to trying to measure a generation by every slight (or predicted) change in pop culture. As you have said, if there is such a difference between people of two neighboring years, wouldn't there be an even bigger gulf with peole born 15-20 years later? When people are trying to define a generation by pop culture, everyone wants to be at the head of a new generation. But who wants to be the ones to stay behind and be the "outdated end" outside of retro fans? Generations are large accumualtive social experiences over the course of it's members lifetimes, not a temporary age marketing bracket. I mean look at all the changes incorporated in the Boomer Generation from the 1960's to today. If we measured them by the same standards we'd probably have about 6 different generations.

As I said I think for some the term Gen Y is code for anyone under 30, which is a hot age group to sell to right now. I'm wondering if the minimum accepted birth year for will rise as more of those born in the later 70's will continue to pass the big 30 mark which for now consists of those born in 77\78?  But even today I know too many people born in 77 and 78 who are frankly real life adults raising families, mowing the yard, and stuck in the daily grind complaining about "those dern kids of today!"

You make a great point. I have also noticed that over time the definitions of the last two generations, and now even the newer "Generation Z" have changed a bit over time.

I had heard at one point, if you were too young to remember the Kennedy assassination(the line for that would probably be around 1958 at the latest) then you were considered to be in Generation X. Eventually, that was pushed up to begin after 1963, but do you think that, say in 1982, someone born in 1958 or 1959 would have been considered a "true" baby boomer? It's possible, but I would say a "peak boomer" born around 1946 or so would have probably scoffed at the idea at that time. As time went on, and those 25 year olds got into there 30's, 40's, and now even 50's, they are almost universally considered to be boomers.

That standard can also be applied with Gen Y, where as you said, at one time it was used to describe those under 30 in the early '90s. 

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 03/31/08 at 5:19 am

Thank you for the information.  Generation X is more than 11 years.  It's 15 to 20 years long. I don't know why they will push the 1965-1976 thing.  IT'S NOT A GENERATION!!!!  I They want to put me with someone that was born in the 1990s?  WTF???  I am not Generation Y.  I don't have to much in common with Generation Y.  That you for cleary that up with information and logic.

Written By: Jim on 07/01/10 at 3:15 am

I've been thinking about this a LOT over the past 10 years- ever since I heard someone say Generation Y was 1977 to 1994. Odd, because back in 1999, a year before, I heard Generation X was born from 1965 to 1978. I also found a Newsweek article from 1999 that even says Generation Y was 1979 to 1994- THIS is what I think it should be. I think 1965 to 1978 may be a little short for your 15 year mark, but a HECK of a lot closer than the 1965 to 1975 I've also heard!

The way I look at it, if you came of age (21 in this country) BEFORE Y2K, you are NOT part of Generation Y. I was also born in 1977, graduated college in 1999, went into the workforce then, and was being called an X'er by my coworkers. The economy was booming, and it was a dream job. Well, the recession of 2002 hit, and I lost that job. I went back to school, got another degree, and this recession of 2008 cost me another job! NO WHERE have I seen that Generation Y went through TWO recessions! All I see is how Gen X goes through another recession in less than a decade- exactly what I was thinking in 2008!!

Getting back to 1979 to 1994, both birthrate increased to over 15% every year, and they were the ones who turned 21 after Y2K, meaning they were too young to toast in the new millennium! (All those born after Jan 1, 1979 that is) When I look back at the 1990's, I see a young adult who graduated college, and started a career, I do NOT see some child who was in grade school! I mean come on, if you're not old enough to have voted for Clinton, you're not Generation X, and vice versa- I was truly part of the X crowd in that I would have voted for Clinton, had I actually wanted to vote back in 1996. I think all those articles written in the 1990's had it right, Generation X really was born through 1978. Somehow in the 2000's, they all got their heads screwed up, and couldn't do math, and decided to start the next generation at 1976! Actually, I know why they started it in 1976- that was the highest in the 18-24 "college" demographic, which I think really needs to be the 18-21 demographic, beause I didn't know a lot of people still in college at 23 or 24!

Written By: whistledog on 07/01/10 at 8:26 am

I've been thinking about this a LOT over the past 10 years

That'd be one rich psychiatrist :P

Written By: Jim on 07/03/10 at 8:25 pm

:o Ha, ha, ha real funny. Really though, I have been thinking about it around late 2000, when an article ran in a local paper calling the "college kids", Generation Y, or the 18-24 year olds at the time... Somehow my generation flipped from Gen X in 1999 to Gen Y in 2000!

In all fairness, when the 1996 election came around, I knew I was part of that "young voter" crowd- the 18-21 group, and from then on, when I heard them called GENERATION X, I have KNOWN that I AM part of Generation X! The only, and I mean ONLY ones who can be debated are those born from 1979 to 1982, because depending on how you look at it, THEY were the first ones to come of age in the new millennium!

By the way, for the ending year of Gen Y, I really believe it should be 1994, as they will be old enough to vote for Obama come 2012. Going back 15 years then gives 1979. That would make Gen X only 13 years for 1965 to 1978, but if you REALLY want to be precise, you could call Gen X 1965 to 1979, and Gen Y 1980 to 1994, an even 14 year span for each. The more I talk to people born in 1979, they REALLY seem to think this is how it should be.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/04/10 at 1:34 am

What is with you guys, you have to belong to something.  Be your own man and do nothing on behalf of the "generation."

Written By: Jim on 07/23/10 at 1:35 am

I looked up one of the most vocal self professed Generation Y member, named Jason Ryan Dorsey. He was featured on 20/20, 60 minutes, etc. all talking about his generation. Well, he gives what he believes Gen X and Gen Y are on his website. Here's where it gets odd. He was born in 1978, says Generation Y are those born from 1977 to 1995, while Generation X was born from 1965 to 1977. I know, he counts 1977 as BOTH! So, according to him, if you're born in 1977, like we both are, we are either Generation X or Y, depending on what you want I guess.

Personally, looking at all the traits I have, I'm FAAAAAAAAAAR Generation X than Y. I used vinyl records, watched an antenna black-and-white television on Saturday mornings for the cartoons, was at home by myself after 3 until about 6 because I was a latchkey kid who grew up in the 80's. All those traits from my youth count me as an Xer. I associate with them FAR more than those who grew up in the 90's or later. It's tough, because some very early 80's babies still had a little bit of it, but the way technology changed so fast, 1990 onward just exploded, that these kids grew up with stuff that I didn't have at their age.

Like this for example. When I was a kid, we had roller skates that had wheels on the corners, not all lined up in the middle! I first saw one of those in the early 90's, when some kid in grade school shot passed me on them! It was like, what the heck was he wearing??? Rollerblades? What are those? The roller skates have the wheels in the middle now? The way things kept changing so fast from 1990 on, if you weren't a teenager yet, you grew up with soooooo much more than I did!

Written By: rgd51 on 07/24/10 at 3:48 am

I would say X. I was born in 1991 and consider myself Y. I consider Y as being more 1981-1994 or 5 in births. Mostly people who graduated high school from 2000 to 2013 would by Yers

Written By: joeman on 07/25/10 at 7:00 am

I would say X. I was born in 1991 and consider myself Y. I consider Y as being more 1981-1994 or 5 in births. Mostly people who graduated high school from 2000 to 2013 would by Yers

I do agree with Jim though.  Most people born in the late 70s seem to have more in common with those born in the 80s than in the 60s.  I'd start it around 1977-1978.

Written By: rgd51 on 07/26/10 at 3:26 am

Well i feel I have alot more in common with someone born in 1985 than 1995, thats why i consider Z to start at 1995

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/26/10 at 8:06 am

Well i feel I have alot more in common with someone born in 1985 than 1995, thats why i consider Z to start at 1995

Sometimes, I feel Gen X gets cut too short; with really I feel that 1962-63 and 1979 are the real border years of X; given I've seen Baby Boom stop at 1964 and X start at 1961, leaving 1962 and 63 as the cusp there; and X going up to 1981 but Y appearing in 1977 as well. 12 years is just too "Short" for a generation; whereas 18-19 seems like a good number; that's why I see 1997-98 as the Y/Z cutoff, given how Z starts as early as 1995 but as late as 2001.

Another X/Y test: Xers GENERALLY acted like adults when they were in their 20s; maybe not "purly" like the Boomers did, but definately not the "kidult" Generation Y who stay with their parents at home past college due plus have a different accent; probably influenced by that Radio/Reality junk. 

Written By: Jim on 07/26/10 at 5:26 pm

Sometimes, I feel Gen X gets cut too short; with really I feel that 1962-63 and 1979 are the real border years of X; given I've seen Baby Boom stop at 1964 and X start at 1961, leaving 1962 and 63 as the cusp there; and X going up to 1981 but Y appearing in 1977 as well. 12 years is just too "Short" for a generation; whereas 18-19 seems like a good number; that's why I see 1997-98 as the Y/Z cutoff, given how Z starts as early as 1995 but as late as 2001.

Another X/Y test: Xers GENERALLY acted like adults when they were in their 20s; maybe not "purly" like the Boomers did, but definately not the "kidult" Generation Y who stay with their parents at home past college due plus have a different accent; probably influenced by that Radio/Reality junk. 

Y starts as early as 1975 by some accounts! What I just can't seem to wrap my head around is how during the 1990's, if you're in your 20's at all, you're an Xer, but by the end of the 2000's, if you're in your 30's, you're Y, when Y was supposed to be the "young" adults who haven't lived life yet... Sounds like 20-somethings to me, not 30-somethings with families!! The demographic seems to keep increasing as the age increases! It went from children/teens in the late 90's to 20/30-somethings in the late 2000's, and I'll bet before the end of this decade, I'll hear that Generation Y hits middle age, when most will still be in their 20's! You'll hear it in 2016, when those born between 1989 and 1993 (the most babies born during the time range) will be 23 to 27!!

Written By: joeman on 07/26/10 at 11:18 pm

My thinking is that either Y ends in 1991 or at 1998 at the latest, depending on how I treat certain variables.  For example, if you have any conscious thought of the world before 9/11, then you're Y.  However, if you have an conscious thought and memories before the internet era(1995), then you Y also.  There could be a cusp area between those born in 1977-1980 and those who are born in that time can go either way. 

Written By: Danny on 07/27/10 at 12:46 am

I was reading an article in a website about different generations, and it said that Generation X is 1965-1980, but another website said that Generation X is 1965-1976.  I'm confused because I'm too old to be a Yer.  I just want to get it out of my chest because I was a child and a preteen in the 80s and a teen and a young adult in the 90s.  This means that I was a child from 1980 to 1986, a preteen from 1986-1989, an adolescent from 1990 to 1995 and a young adult from 1995-1999.  I never liked late 90s teen pop.  I was more into the RnB and rap music from 1985-1998.  Since I'm more into RnB and hip-hop, I think that RnB from 1985 to 1998 was the best.  I was too old to be listening to late-90s teen pop like The Spice Girls, Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, NSync, and what have you.  I was into things like the other late Gen Xers like myself was into like New Jack Swing, Hip-Hop Soul, House, Beavis and Butt-head, jazz-rap, etc.  I mean, I like Destiny's Child, Christina Aguilera, Alicia Keys because they can sing, but on a whole, the majority of music I like as far as my generation is RnB/Hip-Hop music from 1985-1998.  I was more into gospel, neo-soul, 70s music, and mid to late 80s and 90s artists around 1999 and beyond.  I didn't know anything about the internet until I was 22.  I didn't know anything about IPods, MP3 players until this year.  I didn't have my own laptop until this year.  Before then I was into cassettes, walkman's CD players, CD's and vinyls.  I remember too much of the 80s to be considered a Yer.  I went to my first concert when I was 12 in 1989 to see MC Hammer, The Boys, Guy, Three Times Dope, Heavy D, and Kool Moe Dee.  I went through puberty from 11 to 13.  I don't like people calling me a Yer when I don't have anything in common with a Yer.  I had my first radio when I was 8 in 1985.  I had my first stereo when I was 12 in 1989.  I had my first cassette tape when I was 11 which was The Message From The Boys.  I went to see Leviathan and Batman in 1989.  I remember a whole lot of cartoons I used to watch and toys I used to play with from 1980-1987.  I had a Michael Jackson Thriller doll when I was 8 in 1985.  I started getting into pop culture when I hit my preteens.  I remember when I wanted to dance and look like Janet Jackson and Salt n Pepa, and this was in the mid to late 80s, not the 90s.  I remember when I was 11, I was trying to style my hair like Pepa's.  I remember trying to pierce my ears to get a second hole so I can where two earrings in each ear like Pepa.  I may not be an early Xer, but I'm far from a Yer, I know that.  I had more Gen X experiences than Gen Y experiences.  Being called a Generation Yer is an insult to me.  So, what do ya'll think?
        I think you belong to the Generation what I've heard as a "Baby-buster",there was a slump in births due to the increase use of contraception and also the feminism going on in that decade. Danny

Written By: rgd51 on 07/27/10 at 3:18 am

My thinking is that either Y ends in 1991 or at 1998 at the latest, depending on how I treat certain variables.  For example, if you have any conscious thought of the world before 9/11, then you're Y.  However, if you have an conscious thought and memories before the internet era(1995), then you Y also.  There could be a cusp area between those born in 1977-1980 and those who are born in that time can go either way.   

I could not agree more. I was nearly 10 when 9/11 happened and i remember it so well, I thought it was all a big joke at the time though until reality set in. Ive seen some people consider Z starting as early as 1991 and as late as like 1998. So i guess those are the debatable years. I think of the generations as like this:

Greatest: 1910-1926
Silent:      1927-1945
Boomer:  1946-1953
Jones:      1954-1966
X:            1967-1981
Y:            1982-1995
Z:            1995-i have no idea

Written By: joeman on 07/27/10 at 8:28 am

There's a lot of interpretations on generations, sometimes it gets confusing.  I read one that has Gen X being 1965-1985, and others starting Y at 1974. 

I do think Z is going to end once this recession ends though, and it makes much sense.  I am not a big fan of AA, so why don't we just loop back and call it Generation A.

I could not agree more. I was nearly 10 when 9/11 happened and i remember it so well, I thought it was all a big joke at the time though until reality set in. Ive seen some people consider Z starting as early as 1991 and as late as like 1998. So i guess those are the debatable years. I think of the generations as like this:

Greatest: 1910-1926
Silent:      1927-1945
Boomer:   1946-1953
Jones:      1954-1966
X:            1967-1981
Y:            1982-1995
Z:            1995-i have no idea

Written By: Jim on 07/28/10 at 2:24 am

Here's another take on it, Presidential elections of the United States. If you were able to vote for Clinton at all, you HAVE to be Generation X, as it was NEVER reported during any 90's elections that Generation Y elects Clinton!! The whole Generation Y voters were those in 2000 who were able to vote for the first time. THAT was the first time that term entered into the media for "young" voters. I really like how the Zogby generation range went. They used the years 1946 to 1964 for Boomers, 1965 to 1978 for Generation X and 1979 to 1990 as Generation Y (during the 2008 election).
They went on and explained how each generation was changed by different events, and how they voted in past elections. They talked about Boomers first voters being in the Nixon/Carter/Reagan elections, while Gen X was first time under Reagan/Bush/Clinton, and Gen Y was second Bush/Obama. They said Gen Y were the current (in 2008) "young" voters- or those under 30. They were the 18-29 demographic, the largest demographic and the biggest supporters of Obama. They had Gen X for McCain, and the Boomers split almost 50-50 between the two. Turns out, Obama won because of the under 30's, and the over 45's! That poor 30-45 demographic didn't hardly have a say at all in the election, because there were so few of them- or Generation X!!
Because the 2008 election was so big in American history, and a generation is defined by where you were when, the over-30 crowd can NOT be included with teenagers in electing the first black president! That was a historic moment, and the 30-43 (those born from 1965 to 1978) represented the SMALLEST demographic of ANY other age range of current registered voters. This is another reason to use the 1965 to 1978 range for Generation X. I think as those born in the 1970's all turn 40 this decade, we'll see them included more and more into the Generation X category as this decade goes on. They are saying the Y's are hitting 30 this decade, or the 1980's babies.

Written By: Johnny on 08/01/10 at 7:49 pm

I do agree with Jim though.  Most people born in the late 70s seem to have more in common with those born in the 80s than in the 60s.  I'd start it around 1977-1978.

I don't agree with this at all. Also being born in 1977, and after watching a 1993 teenage movie, there is so much more those born in the 1980's had in high school than us born in 1977 did. For starters, in the movie, cell phones were not around. The parents called their son from a phone booth, and the 16-yr-old (for the math, those born in 1977 were 16 in 1993) answered with a gigantic cordless phone with the pull out antenna. From what I remember in 1993, there was no caller ID either, which is why during the call, he didn't know it was his mom until he answered. Those born in 1980, the start of the 1980's, would have been 16 in 1996. By that year, there was caller ID, and even though cell phones weren't common to everyday people, they were heard of by common folk. There are 2 VERY different versions of the 1990's. The first half that's not very technologically advanced, similar to the 1980's, and the second half which is FAR more technologically advanced, similar to the early 2000's. Because there is such a difference, I'd say those who were in college from 1995 on would be Generation X, while those in high school from 1995 on would be Generation Y. So, it looks like I draw the line at 1977/1978. Sorry 1978's, you get left on the line, but that's where I start Generation Y. THEY have more in common with those born in the 80's, as they're only 2 years from them, and if they're born late enough in 1978, only a year ahead of them in school (that would make them class of 1997)! That means they were NOT in high school yet when that movie came out in the summer of 1993!

Written By: rgd51 on 08/02/10 at 3:21 am

Johnny, you nailed it. Being born in late 1991, i view myself as a Gen Y person but I draw the line as Y starts for those who graduated high school in 2000 (those born in late 1981 and the first half of 1982)

Written By: Starde on 08/02/10 at 10:18 am

I don't agree with this at all. Also being born in 1977, and after watching a 1993 teenage movie, there is so much more those born in the 1980's had in high school than us born in 1977 did. For starters, in the movie, cell phones were not around. The parents called their son from a phone booth, and the 16-yr-old (for the math, those born in 1977 were 16 in 1993) answered with a gigantic cordless phone with the pull out antenna. From what I remember in 1993, there was no caller ID either, which is why during the call, he didn't know it was his mom until he answered. Those born in 1980, the start of the 1980's, would have been 16 in 1996. By that year, there was caller ID, and even though cell phones weren't common to everyday people, they were heard of by common folk. There are 2 VERY different versions of the 1990's. The first half that's not very technologically advanced, similar to the 1980's, and the second half which is FAR more technologically advanced, similar to the early 2000's. Because there is such a difference, I'd say those who were in college from 1995 on would be Generation X, while those in high school from 1995 on would be Generation Y. So, it looks like I draw the line at 1977/1978. Sorry 1978's, you get left on the line, but that's where I start Generation Y. THEY have more in common with those born in the 80's, as they're only 2 years from them, and if they're born late enough in 1978, only a year ahead of them in school (that would make them class of 1997)! That means they were NOT in high school yet when that movie came out in the summer of 1993!

Makes sense to me. I personally believe Generation Y consists of those born between the very late 70's/early 80's to 1994.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/02/10 at 3:42 pm

It was the Silent Generation, not the Boomers, that founded the hippie movement.  They took cues from the Bohemians of earlier generations and took advantage of post-war prosperity in the early 1960s.  My parents were among them.  Going up the country.  Break out of plastic suburbia! 

I thought the older generation expected my generation, Gen X, to find our own way as the Silent Generation, with the Boomers in tow, had in the 1960s.  My generation had no guiding ideology other than narcissism and consumerism.  All "punk" offered was negative identity.  It had nothing positive to offer.  I was angry too.  I was angry at the hippies for turning into yuppies and voting for Reagan.  I was angry at my own generation for buying the detritus of the hippies like so many fast food drive-thru meals.  There were plenty of 18-year-olds in 1987 buying sweatshop tie-dyes and Grateful Dead tix.  No intellectual vigor.  No ideology.  Just merchandise in lieu of mind. 
::)

Written By: Starde on 08/03/10 at 12:00 pm

Johnny, you nailed it. Being born in late 1991, i view myself as a Gen Y person but I draw the line as Y starts for those who graduated high school in 2000 (those born in late 1981 and the first half of 1982)

Or it consist of those born anywhere between 1980 and 1982. ;)

Written By: Jim on 08/03/10 at 3:35 pm

Or it consist of those born anywhere between 1980 and 1982. ;)

This discussion thread has so many replies! For some reference, I'd like to post a link from a Newsweek article written in 1999. It talks about Generation Y, or the group demographers say goes from 1979 to 1994. Here's the article:

http://www.businessweek.com/1999/99_07/b3616001.htm

This is pretty close to your reply, Starde, as 1979 and 1980 have very little differences in their perspective. They are only a year apart, so that means they were either 9 or 10 when the Berlin Wall came down. Only 12 or 13 when Clinton was elected. Neither were in high school under Bush. Now, those born in 1977/1978 would be the same way, but 1977 would have the same commonalities as those born in 1976, what some say either starts Y or ends X... How did it go from 1965 to 1978 in 1999 to 1965 to 1975 a few years later? Here's another article from 1999 that uses the 1965 to 1978 demographic:

http://www.newamerica.net/publications/articles/1999/a_politics_for_generation_x

I think it needs to go back to where it was in 1999, and that's to put those born from 1965 to 1978 into the Generation X demographic, and those born from 1979 to 1994 into the Generation Y demographic. That would also agree with the Gen Y starting in the late 1970's comment, and they really are the oldest you can be while not being old enough to have voted for Clinton! Can you believe that? Those 1980's babies aren't old enough to have voted for Bill Clinton!

Written By: rgd51 on 08/04/10 at 3:23 am

I refuse to consider anyone born in the 70s to be in Y. They didnt grow up with the technology that us Yers grew up with.

Written By: 2015 on 08/05/10 at 12:00 am

Of course you are. How can someone born in 1977 NOT be?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/06/10 at 1:00 am

The generations will find their places in retrospect.  We will know for sure when X ended and Y began or Y ended and Z began.  We will know by the middle of the century!
8)

Written By: 2015 on 08/06/10 at 1:06 am

^Totally!

Written By: Starde on 08/06/10 at 4:15 am

I refuse to consider anyone born in the 70s to be in Y. They didnt grow up with the technology that us Yers grew up with.

But would there be much of a significant difference between someone born in 1979 and someone born in 1980? I personally don't see one. :-\\

Written By: 2015 on 08/06/10 at 4:34 am

But would there be much of a significant difference between someone born in 1979 and someone born in 1980? I personally don't see one. :-\\

personally, if i had to put a line, it would be ~1981/82.

Written By: Jim on 08/06/10 at 9:45 pm

Agree 100%!!! In 1990, all teenagers/early 20's were part of Generation X, according to Time/Life. Being born in 1977, I WAS A TEENAGER IN 1990! When the article ran again in 1997, it said all those in their 20's were Generation X, and again in 1997 I WAS IN MY 20'S! Then, those articles I posted from 1999 clearly count me as part of Generation X, but from 2000 on, I've heard repeatedly that Generation Y (college students in the 2000's) were all those born from 1976 to 2000, when I had already graduated college (BS degree), and started my career in 1999!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/06/10 at 10:45 pm

There is!  One guy is a few months older than the other guy!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/nono.gif

Written By: rgd51 on 08/07/10 at 2:17 am

I think the difference is more culture based. I think anyone out of high school before 2000 is an Xer

Written By: joeman on 08/07/10 at 10:33 am

Agree 100%!!! In 1990, all teenagers/early 20's were part of Generation X, according to Time/Life. Being born in 1977, I WAS A TEENAGER IN 1990! When the article ran again in 1997, it said all those in their 20's were Generation X, and again in 1997 I WAS IN MY 20'S! Then, those articles I posted from 1999 clearly count me as part of Generation X, but from 2000 on, I've heard repeatedly that Generation Y (college students in the 2000's) were all those born from 1976 to 2000, when I had already graduated college (BS degree), and started my career in 1999!!

I have always heard and read(from college) that Generation Y are those who entered the job force with modern technology(mainly the Internet since it made everything a lot easier for business').  I think 1977 get a pass on X, but I think people born in 1978, who graduated HS in 1996(when the Internet was booming) and college in 2000 might be the first Y.

Written By: Starde on 08/07/10 at 2:06 pm

There is!  One guy is a few months older than the other guy!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/nono.gif

Ahh, yes. :D But I meant culturally. A 79er was still in high school during the mid/late 90's, depending on what graduating class he/she was in (could've been part of the class of '96, '97 or '98, based on where I live) and spent the late 90's/early 00's in college. So they also experienced the Internet boom while in school and such. I don't know. I just believe that someone born in '79 shares a culture similar to someone born in the early 80's.

I was just thinking. What years would be part of a XY cusp? ???

Written By: 2015 on 08/07/10 at 5:46 pm

Ahh, yes. :D But I meant culturally. A 79er was still in high school during the mid/late 90's, depending on what graduating class he/she was in (could've been part of the class of '96, '97 or '98, based on where I live) and spent the late 90's/early 00's in college. So they also experienced the Internet boom while in school and such. I don't know. I just believe that someone born in '79 shares a culture similar to someone born in the early 80's.

I was just thinking. What years would be part of a XY cusp? ???

So you would say a 1979er is the same generation as someone born in the 90s?

Written By: Brian06 on 08/07/10 at 10:40 pm

Eh there's no exact lines with that kind of stuff, but I'd probably see you as late Gen X. I think X starts a a couple years earlier than 1965 now, and I think the boomers should start a few years earlier than 1946 though it wasn't really the boom yet those people seem like boomers to me. So Gen X is like early 60s to ~ 1980 to me and the boomers are like early 40s to 1960 or so.  I have a half sister born in 1972 and I have cousins born in 1979-80. My sister seems pure Gen X, my cousins born in 79-80 seem well like I kinda grew up with them (well like when I was a preteen and the one cousin was like 17 we played video games together and hung out like) whereas I really couldn't say that for someone my sister's age. But I always thought my cousins born around 1980 are like around that boundary. Then my sister's daughter who's my niece she was born in 1995, I'd say she probably seems like my generation though the other end of course. So I see myself at 23 old enough to relate to the 30 year old and young enough to still relate to a 15 year old rofl. I don't know where the end of gen Y is (likely somewhere between 1995 and 2000) but I'd say someone born when I was in high school 2001-2002 I definitely would not see as my generation.

Written By: whistledog on 08/07/10 at 11:06 pm

Are you an Xer?  What year were you born?

Written By: 2015 on 08/07/10 at 11:33 pm

Are you an Xer?  What year were you born?

No. 1992

Written By: Jim on 08/09/10 at 1:33 am

Eh there's no exact lines with that kind of stuff, but I'd probably see you as late Gen X. I think X starts a a couple years earlier than 1965 now, and I think the boomers should start a few years earlier than 1946 though it wasn't really the boom yet those people seem like boomers to me. So Gen X is like early 60s to ~ 1980 to me and the boomers are like early 40s to 1960 or so.  I have a half sister born in 1972 and I have cousins born in 1979-80. My sister seems pure Gen X, my cousins born in 79-80 seem well like I kinda grew up with them (well like when I was a preteen and the one cousin was like 17 we played video games together and hung out like) whereas I really couldn't say that for someone my sister's age. But I always thought my cousins born around 1980 are like around that boundary. Then my sister's daughter who's my niece she was born in 1995, I'd say she probably seems like my generation though the other end of course. So I see myself at 23 old enough to relate to the 30 year old and young enough to still relate to a 15 year old rofl. I don't know where the end of gen Y is (likely somewhere between 1995 and 2000) but I'd say someone born when I was in high school 2001-2002 I definitely would not see as my generation.

How do you think I feel, being told someone born when I was 23 is supposed to be in the same generation that I am in? Or, even someone born in 1994 who would have clearly grown up in the 2000's, FAR after the 1980's (both timewise and technology-wise)? There's no way someone born in 1977 is going to have a shared perspective with someone born past the VERY early 80's. That's because technology changed so fast that those born in the 1980's never knew a world that didn't involve something called computers! I remember BEFORE computers, and how big it was in 1985 when our local library got their $1000 (back then) new Apple II computer!! They became more widespread in the early 90's and in the mid to late 90's the internet boom occurred. Being an adult in the mid 90's, how in the world would someone born in 1977 have "grown up" with the internet? Windows 95 (first to have internet explorer) didn't even come out until I was in college!

Written By: Dr. Anthony Cummins on 08/13/10 at 7:44 pm

To me, it seems highly logical that you would be included in Generation X. I have always thought that if you were in your 20's at some point during the 1990's, you are part of Generation X. Conversely, I also have the thought that if you were still in your 20's at some point in this decade, the 2010's, then you are NOT part of Generation X. Ideally, that would mean everyone born from December 31, 1979 and before would all be included in Generation X. Such a statement also means those born from January 1, 1980 and on would be included in Generation Y. The defining line between the two is December 31, 1979, and January 1, 1980.

I do not believe those in Generation Y were in their 30's at any point during the 2000's decade. Just like those in their 20's now are not part of Generation X. Generation X were the 20-somethings of the 1990's, which excludes all 1980's babies, and includes all 1970's babies. So, according to a highly educated (PhD in political science) demographic observer, you are part of the Generation X demographic.

If anyone wants to question the thoughts or views of this professor, please feel free to reply, and I will will respond accordingly. Thank you.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/14/10 at 5:13 am

To me generation Y is anybody born between 1980 to 1996. But that's just my opinion. So I think it's safe to say you're an Xer!  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/15/10 at 12:11 am

You really know what generation is yours when your peers start dying of natural causes and people your age are writing horrible policy!

For instance Viet Dinh (b. 1968) chief author of the USAPATRIOT Act is a major disgrace to Gen-X!

Written By: rgd51 on 08/17/10 at 2:28 am

Haha true that. I wonder when us Gen Yers will be writing policy

Written By: joeman on 08/17/10 at 2:52 pm

Haha true that. I wonder when us Gen Yers will be writing policy

Probably this decade.  We are going to be in our 30s soon.

Written By: Jim on 08/17/10 at 10:18 pm

Not according to the articles I've seen, as Generation Y is well into the 30's, and going to hit the big 4-0 this decade! Why, oh why do they start Generation Y at 1976 is beyond me!! I just saw an article published over the weekend, and it talked about Generation Y getting its first taste at a recession, and said those born from 1976 to 1992 were included in the Gen Y demographic. Yeah, those born in the 1970's never experienced the early 00's recession, because we were like totally held back in school, like they didn't like let us get edumacated, because we were told we weren't able to graduate high school until we were 25!! Of course we experienced the early 00's recession!!! It cost me my first career job, so this recession is doing nothing to me that the first one didn't!

I liked the USA today article from around a year ago that talked about how Generation X was having its second recession in less than a decade. Talked about a guy graduating college in 2000, and getting tons of calls by employers wanting him, because he had a technology degree. Then, in 2001 when the tech bubble popped, and the first recession began, he went from a 6 figure job to fast food. Now when he's finally gone back, and gotten to a high level again, the 2008 recession cost him that job too!

Written By: Jim on 08/17/10 at 10:30 pm

Mark my word, because of Jason Ryan Dorsey and others who really are too old to call themselves Generation Y but still do, we'll hear in 2016/2017 that Generation Y is turning 40!! It's going to read something like this in the headline:

"Watch out Boomers, Generation Y, the generation raised on the world wide web, hits middle age!"

That's going to be a funny line, because the world wide web, or internet as it's mostly known now, didn't really gain mainstream popularity until those turning 40 in 2016/2017 were already adults!! What's also amazing is that Generation Y will go from turning 20 in the 2000's to turning 40 in the 2010's! Somehow 2 decades of age will pass in only 1 decade!

Written By: joeman on 08/18/10 at 10:23 am

Mark my word, because of Jason Ryan Dorsey and others who really are too old to call themselves Generation Y but still do, we'll hear in 2016/2017 that Generation Y is turning 40!! It's going to read something like this in the headline:

"Watch out Boomers, Generation Y, the generation raised on the world wide web, hits middle age!"

That's going to be a funny line, because the world wide web, or internet as it's mostly known now, didn't really gain mainstream popularity until those turning 40 in 2016/2017 were already adults!! What's also amazing is that Generation Y will go from turning 20 in the 2000's to turning 40 in the 2010's! Somehow 2 decades of age will pass in only 1 decade!

To come to think about, I think Y is really people born around 1981-1998.  I think 1978-1980 and 1999-2001 being cusps/outskirts years.

Another thing is looking at actors, Jesse Eisenberg(1983), but he is essentially playing the same character, acting exactly the same, and looking the same as Andy Samberg(1978), I could have sworn both actors are essentially the same person.

Written By: Jim on 08/19/10 at 4:28 pm

To come to think about, I think Y is really people born around 1981-1998.  I think 1978-1980 and 1999-2001 being cusps/outskirts years.

Another thing is looking at actors, Jesse Eisenberg(1983), but he is essentially playing the same character, acting exactly the same, and looking the same as Andy Samberg(1978), I could have sworn both actors are essentially the same person.

Somehow though, people are starting to include those born in 1975 as Generation Y! Even 1974 some are saying is included! Apparently, if you're 35 or under, you're in Generation Y, as an article I just read today. See, I'm telling you in just 5 to 7 years, we'll be hearing that Generation Y has reached middle age!! Really, those born in 1978 are too old, because they have so much more in common with the young adults of the 1990's.

I saw an ABC report in 2009 called "21 and the world is yours" focusing on Generation Y around the world. Guess what, 10 years ago that same article would have been about Generation X!! What's the case really are those in their 30's don't want to grow up, and mature! They run around, acting like they're still in their 20's, using the Generation Y "young adult" excuse, when they really need to grow up, and realize they are NOT kids anymore, they need to learn to take responsibility. It's us 30-somethings who need to guide these real 20-somethings, not run around with them, trying to hold onto some dream and act like you're 10 years younger!!!

Back in the 1980's when the show 30-something was on, you didn't have a bunch of adults all running around, acting like they were still kids! No, you had them taking responsibility for their actions, being adults, having careers, raising children, etc! We need to mandate that if you're over 30, you need to act like it, because there is no excuse for acting like you did in your 20's!

We're allowing this group of 30-somethings to delay adulthood, and it's causing them to be included in Generation Y, because they're too afraid to become adults! I trust Reader's Digest. Back in 2008, they ran an article about the Facebook Generation's election. They called the under-30's, or the 18-29 demographic, the members of GenerationY, because they were all too young to vote for a president in the 1990's. The Generation X demographic was over 30, or the disengaged ones who were not into voting, as proven by the low turnout during the 1990's.

Being born in 1977, I was able to vote in 5 out of 10 elections during the 1990's (including the presidential 1996 one), and nowhere then did I read anything about Generation Y's first vote back then! I didn't hear about Generation Y's first vote until 2000, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the legal voting age is 23!

Written By: kandi73 on 09/01/10 at 11:25 am

if I am right i heard on some news show when they were talking about this subject they said that the Gen. X people were born in the 70's like myself and others who were born in the 70's. So I would say from 1970 to 1977 are the Gen-X er's.

Written By: rgd51 on 09/02/10 at 1:19 am

I would consider 1969-1979 as undisputibly Gen X and 1965 to 1968 and 1980 and 1981 as cusp years

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/03/10 at 12:01 am

Generation X was the generation in which having lodgers and housemates once again became the norm.  Gen-X felt entitled to a better standard of living than their parents then as soon as you could register to vote, you voted for Reagan or GHW Bush, but you were never going to have it even as good as your grandparents.

Written By: Jim on 11/07/10 at 2:42 am

So, it dawned on me while at a gas station. I heard some senior women (roughly aged 70's) talking as I passed by them and one was saying to the other to facebook them, and they'd give her the information. That's when it hit me. A generation can't be defined by the technological advance of the current times, because it spans multiple generations. Obviously, those women were NOT Generation Y, and yet they were using the things that some deomographers try to use as defining aspects of a generation. Technology of today just can't be used. However, you can use technology of yesterday.

What I mean by that is using a typewriter in high school (even junior high counts, as I did papers back then), or college, versus using a laptop in high school or college. If you can remember a time when technology is totally different from today- like when I was in college no one had a cell phone, then you're part of a previous generation that came of age during different times. You can use other things as well. Like for instance, the 1992/1996 presidential elections. The ones that Clinton won handily. They were both called Generation X elections. So, if you're old enough to have voted in them- not that you did vote, but you were old enough to have, you're part of Generation X.

Another one that came to mind was back in 1995 when the speed limit was raised from 55 to 75. When I started driving in 1993, it was still 55 on the interstate where I live. That changed in 1995, and it became 65. I remember a time when the test at the DMV asked about max speed limit on highways/interstates, which was then 45/55. Now, it's 55/65.

Point is, a generation is defined by its past, not its present. Since we were the young adults of the 90's, or the 20-somethings of the 90's, we're Generation X. The Generation Y defining moment was becoming an adult after the year 2000, hence the term "Millennial", which for some odd reason people are trying to say begins in 1977 or 1976 even. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but 23 and 24 are NOT coming of age, they already are of age!!

Written By: Nicole Little on 12/26/10 at 7:36 pm

So, it dawned on me while at a gas station. I heard some senior women (roughly aged 70's) talking as I passed by them and one was saying to the other to facebook them, and they'd give her the information. That's when it hit me. A generation can't be defined by the technological advance of the current times, because it spans multiple generations. Obviously, those women were NOT Generation Y, and yet they were using the things that some deomographers try to use as defining aspects of a generation. Technology of today just can't be used. However, you can use technology of yesterday.

What I mean by that is using a typewriter in high school (even junior high counts, as I did papers back then), or college, versus using a laptop in high school or college. If you can remember a time when technology is totally different from today- like when I was in college no one had a cell phone, then you're part of a previous generation that came of age during different times. You can use other things as well. Like for instance, the 1992/1996 presidential elections. The ones that Clinton won handily. They were both called Generation X elections. So, if you're old enough to have voted in them- not that you did vote, but you were old enough to have, you're part of Generation X.

Another one that came to mind was back in 1995 when the speed limit was raised from 55 to 75. When I started driving in 1993, it was still 55 on the interstate where I live. That changed in 1995, and it became 65. I remember a time when the test at the DMV asked about max speed limit on highways/interstates, which was then 45/55. Now, it's 55/65.

Point is, a generation is defined by its past, not its present. Since we were the young adults of the 90's, or the 20-somethings of the 90's, we're Generation X. The Generation Y defining moment was becoming an adult after the year 2000, hence the term "Millennial", which for some odd reason people are trying to say begins in 1977 or 1976 even. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but 23 and 24 are NOT coming of age, they already are of age!!

EXACTLY! You become a legal adult at age 18.  A full-grown adult is age 21.  I turn 18 in 1995 and 21 in 1998.  Gen. Y are predominately teenagers in the mid to late 90s.  I wasn't a teenager in the late 90s, so I don't know why the hell I'm called a Gen Yer when I'm not.

Check for new replies or respond here...