inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: favorite 80's girl bands?

Written By: johnny5alive on 11/23/07 at 8:26 pm

for me,  i loved all of them as they had lots of great songs and videos,  however bananarama has always been my favorite!

Subject: Re: favorite 80's girl bands?

Written By: snozberries on 11/23/07 at 8:59 pm

Go-gos!

Heart is a close second...

Written By: woops on 11/23/07 at 9:29 pm

Go Go's

Bangles & Bananarama second & third

Written By: robby76 on 11/23/07 at 9:30 pm

Bananarama and Bangles were good, but my vote goes to other for Mel & Kim.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/23/07 at 9:36 pm

I like the Go-Gos and The Pointer Sisters

I remember when I was 5 and 6, I used to watch"Dancin On Air", and they played "We Got The Beat",  "I'm So Excited",  and "Jump For My Love" all the time.

Written By: whistledog on 11/23/07 at 10:56 pm

other:  A Canadian twin sister duo called Tu.  They had this big hit in 1987 called 'Stay With Me' that I used to always hear when I went to the local Roller Rink.  Still when I hear that song, I think of all the fun times I had there 8)

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/24/07 at 9:15 am

I chose the Bangles. I like the Go-Go's, too, but I haven't been able to get into them as much.

I'm not sure Heart would count as a girl band since there were 3 guys in the band. I would have defintely chose them, but I can't really say they are....

Written By: snozberries on 11/24/07 at 12:21 pm

I chose the Bangles. I like the Go-Go's, too, but I haven't been able to get into them as much.

I'm not sure Heart would count as a girl band since there were 3 guys in the band. I would have defintely chose them, but I can't really say they are....

The only reason I said Heart was that the initial poll said the group must have at least two female members... heart qualifies under these terms.

Oddly, Expose, Cover Girls and Sweet Sensation were curiously missing from the list as well...

Written By: Todd on 11/24/07 at 5:03 pm

The Go-Go's!  I also liked Voice of the Beehive alot...they had two sisters leading that band in the 80s

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/24/07 at 5:17 pm

The only reason I said Heart was that the initial poll said the group must have at least two female members... heart qualifies under these terms.

Oddly, Expose, Cover Girls and Sweet Sensation were curiously missing from the list as well...

Ya, I was gonna say the same thing...I really loved those three..especially Expose'. :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/24/07 at 5:29 pm

It seems like female-dominated music in the mainstream almost exactly coincided with MTV (and, less significantly my being born) towards the end of 1981. I think the first stuff from that early period was the best. Like "Our Lips are Sealed" and "Only the Lonely".

Written By: johnny5alive on 11/24/07 at 5:39 pm

although i loved heart and have many of their albulms i dont class them as a "girl band"!  also wasnt expose from the 90's? i never heard much from them...

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/24/07 at 5:45 pm

I guess "girl band" does tend to imply more of a pop than a rock sound, but I think the pop/arena rock version of Heart could fit into that context. They sounded alot like if Foreigner or Survivor or even some of the hair bands would be if they had a female vocalist. "Alone" is a great song too.

Expose was sort of both (stuff from 1988 or '89 to 1993ish blends together, depending on what it is). I think their style of ballads fit in with what would become the Nineties. They had some upbeat, club type dance songs too, but not as many of those were popular except for "Come Go With Me".

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/24/07 at 7:35 pm

All of the above, as well as Expose, Cover Girls, Sweet Sensation, and Klymaxx.

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/25/07 at 1:05 pm

Absolutely the Go-Go's

Written By: Dagwood on 11/25/07 at 1:22 pm

Other: Vixen

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/07/07 at 3:38 am

I chose other.

Although I like the choices presented, there are 2 that are left out:

-The Waitresses: Known primarily for "I Know What Boys Like".

-Girlschool: One of the first "female metal" groups, with their best LP "Screaming Blue Murder".

Written By: Tia on 12/07/07 at 6:39 am

i voted for the gogos but now i wish i'd voted for the bangles because they only got one vote and deserve better.

in the 80s cover band i used to play in we did "walk like an egyptian" and i always found it a surprisingly fun song to play. it's got some pretty nifty little guitar licks in it.

Written By: Gis on 12/07/07 at 9:10 am

I voted Bananarama but I also loved Voice of the Beehive.

Written By: ladyhawk on 12/07/07 at 12:19 pm

I like the bangles as well as others.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/08/07 at 7:32 pm

Others:

Vanity 6
Apollonia 6
Klymaxx
Cover Girls
The Waitresses too. (I always wondered what they were called.)

Written By: Tia on 12/08/07 at 7:36 pm

i have to admit to admit to an affinity to girlschool's "cmon let's go."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPRl2nBf-8k

they're showing some motorhead love right there, i wouldn't be surprised if lemmy helped em write it.

and they're tough chicks man! i wouldn't wanna meet em in an alley. well, unless they were wantin' to meet me. 8)

Check for new replies or respond here...