inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cyndi Lauper Singles Poll

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/25/07 at 12:15 pm

There were other singles, but they were either promo singles, or they charted really low, or didn't chart at all.

I like 'Money Changes Everything' the best, which was the least sucessful song off She's So Unusual.

'All Through The Night' would be my other choice. It reached #5, but I never hear it on the radio. I really don't understand how songs that were so sucessful get ignored by classic rock stations...they play her other hits  ::).

Subject: Re: Cyndi Lauper Singles Poll

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/25/07 at 12:19 pm

I do like most of her sounds but True Colours stands out the most.

Written By: whistledog on 11/25/07 at 12:25 pm

My favourite is still 'The Goonies R Good Enough'.  When I was a kid, I loved both that song and the movie, and still love both :)

'Money Changes Everything' ... which was the least sucessful song off She's So Unusual.

Actually, the least successful from that album was 'When You Were Mine' ...

Year 1984 1984 1984 1984 1985 1985 1985 1986 1987 1987 1987 1988 1989 1989 1989 1992 1993 1993 1994 1995 1995 1997

Song Title Girls Just Want to Have Fun Time After Time She Bop All Through the Night Money Changes Everything When You Were Mine The Goonies 'R' Good Enough True Colours Change of Heart What's Going On Boy Blue Hole in My Heart I Drove All Night My First Night Without You Heading West The World is Stone That's What I Think Who Let in the Rain Hey Now (Girls Just Want to Have Fun) I'm Gonna Be Strong Come On Home You Don't Know

United States #2 #1 #3 #5 #27 -- #10 #1 #3 #12 #71 #54 #6 #62 -- -- -- -- #87 -- -- --

Canada #1 #1 #3 #7 #23 #62 #9 #1 #13 #30 -- #86 #8 -- -- -- -- #76 -- -- -- --

United Kingdom #2 #3 #46 #64 -- -- -- #12 #67 #57 -- -- #7 #53 #68 #15 #31 #32 #4 #37 #39 #27

Written By: johnny5alive on 11/25/07 at 12:33 pm

of course i loved gjwhf when it first came out! and when she came out  with time after time, i knew just would be around for a while, as that song proved she had great voice range!  same thing with true colors!  and then later money changes everything, cyndi was truely an 80's icon!

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/25/07 at 12:50 pm

Actually, the least successful from that album was 'When You Were Mine' ...

ohh...i thought it was just a promo single.

Written By: snozberries on 11/25/07 at 12:58 pm

Goonies of course!  followed by True Colors, Time After Time and then the overplayed Girls Just wanna have fun

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/25/07 at 1:04 pm

I love them all, but "Money Changes Everything" tops my list.  When I first heard those notes she hits and how long she holds them, I was blown away.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/25/07 at 1:22 pm

Time After Time

Written By: Brian06 on 11/25/07 at 1:34 pm

Time After Time

Written By: robby76 on 11/25/07 at 6:08 pm

From the full list that Whistle posted, these are my faves. I voted Goonies R Good Enough overall.  :)

Girls Just Want to Have Fun
Time After Time
She Bop
The Goonies 'R' Good Enough
True Colours
The World is Stone (great little comeback)

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/25/07 at 6:24 pm

I always liked Cyndi Lauper.  She can sing way better than Madonna, and that's real talk.  Don't get me wrong.  I like Madonna, but Cyndi had the voice.  I like "Time After Time", "Girls Just Want To Have Fun", "True Colors", and "All Through The Night".

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/25/07 at 7:47 pm

"True Colors", "Time After Time", and "I Drove All Night" are my favorites.

Written By: Midas on 11/27/07 at 9:46 am

"True Colors" tops my list.  Other favourites include "Change Of Heart" and "Ballad Of Cleo & Joe".

Written By: ninny on 11/30/07 at 9:15 am

I like True Colors, but my favorite is the acoustic version of Time after Time,there's just something about it.

Written By: warped on 01/27/13 at 7:19 pm

"Time after Time" or "Money Changes everything" or "She Bop". I also like "All through the night"

Her "She's so unusual" album was one of the best of the 80s. One of the best album of the 80s after 1981 for me. I also has a mega crush on her.

Written By: Howard on 01/27/13 at 7:58 pm

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

Written By: moycon on 01/27/13 at 8:04 pm

Had to go with The Goonies. Loved that song and loved the movie when I was a kid. In fact I still have the first Saturday Night Main Event on DVD where they played the entire video (If you'll remember that video was full of famous wrestlers) I still pop that in a watch it. It's so funny because after it's played Roddy Piper comes out and argues that the only reason he was in the video was because Steven Spielburg called and asked him personally.  He was supposedly not a fan of Cindy's (She was a "manager" at the time! LOL The 80's were great!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/28/13 at 8:24 pm

Didn't I answer this one five years ago?

Anyway, "Time After Time" for me!

I love the video too.  The whole thing's kinda soppy, but I'm a sucker for sentiment!
8)

Written By: meesa on 02/05/13 at 1:26 pm

Money and Goonies, for me.

Written By: Lindee on 02/06/13 at 8:19 pm

Anybody here watching her reality show on WE?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/06/13 at 10:32 pm

True Colors is the one for me

Written By: Bobby on 02/07/13 at 5:04 pm

Had to go with The Goonies. Loved that song and loved the movie when I was a kid. In fact I still have the first Saturday Night Main Event on DVD where they played the entire video (If you'll remember that video was full of famous wrestlers) I still pop that in a watch it. It's so funny because after it's played Roddy Piper comes out and argues that the only reason he was in the video was because Steven Spielburg called and asked him personally.  He was supposedly not a fan of Cindy's (She was a "manager" at the time! LOL The 80's were great!!

Yes, I remember that Goonies 'R' Good Enough video with the old school circa 1985 wrestlers (I think it was Roddy Piper, Nikolai Volkoff, 'Classie' Freddie Blassie and The Iron Shiek). As for Piper's Steven Spielberg story, it could possibly be true or it could be a way for Roddy Piper to stay in character while taking part in Cyndi Lauper's video at the same time ('kayfabe' was important back then and possibly even more so promoting the first Wrestlemania).

As with a lot of fan favourite tracks, Lauper didn't like the song and refused to play it live after 1986, she has since put it back into her repertoire due to fan recognition (credit to Wikipedia for this little piece of info).

I have mixed feelings about this video. It features three of the things I like - Cyndi Lauper, old school wrestling and The Goonies. However, it just doesn't feel right putting the lot together and promoting it all without it looking ridiculous because the things Lauper is promoting have absolutely nothing in common with each other. I love lasagna, cheesecake and strawberry milkshake but I wouldn't stick them in a blender and eat them as a smoothie.

I went for Goonies 'R' Good Enough but I would have really been stuck if 'I Don't Want to be your Friend' was on that list too. A great track from 1989.

Written By: Zeb on 02/16/13 at 8:47 pm

I'll go with All Through the Night because I find the melody to be very space aged an haunting.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/16/13 at 9:12 pm

I'll go with All Through the Night because I find the melody to be very space aged an haunting.

Yeah, I always liked that one too.  Jules Shear wrote it.
:)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/16/13 at 9:24 pm

I have mixed feelings about this video. It features three of the things I like - Cyndi Lauper, old school wrestling and The Goonies. However, it just doesn't feel right putting the lot together and promoting it all without it looking ridiculous because the things Lauper is promoting have absolutely nothing in common with each other. I love lasagna, cheesecake and strawberry milkshake but I wouldn't stick them in a blender and eat them as a smoothie.

The whole cross-promotion of Spielberg, wrestling, and Cyndi was all discombobulated and schizophrenic.  I think that's what I liked about it.  Last year when Mitt Romney had his cookie incident, my memory spun out Rowdy Roddy Piper as a premonition of Mitt's social comportment!  Even better, in the video Roddy is there to evict them all...and you had the oil sheik!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kMi9tvuuZY

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/18/13 at 10:50 am

I'm surprised to see that Girls Just Wanna Have Fun wasn't a #1 single!

I love most of these singles so it's really hard to choose...

For me, it would have to be a 3 way tie between All Through The Night, Change of Heart, and Time After Time

Written By: seamermar on 02/18/13 at 11:52 am

I ticked Time after time, for I've loved this song through the time.

As the clueless chap that I am I thought it was from Tracy Chapman, so in the end I learnt Lauper held the letters in her head.

I need a lot of pop culture..I guess  ::)

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/18/13 at 12:05 pm

As the clueless chap that I am I thought it was from Tracy Chapman, so in the end I learnt Lauper held the letters in her head.

Hey stranger!  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/20/13 at 11:26 pm

Tracy would do a great "Time After Time," but I'd rally love to hear Cyndi singing "Fast Car"!
8)

Written By: seamermar on 02/21/13 at 3:38 am

Tracy would do a great "Time After Time," but I'd rally love to hear Cyndi singing "Fast Car"!
8)

Me too, so it's good to be logged into a well-stuffed site like inthe00s. Otherwise I might had never learnt about so many branches of the songs.
Both girls have hearty personal voices in pitch different ways...and I love either black or white, in or out, twain I need for the whole thing to meet.

Written By: Tashlovglit on 03/05/13 at 12:14 pm

Time After Time

Written By: nally on 08/31/16 at 10:24 pm

How did I not see this thread??

Anyway, the ones I like best are "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" (parodied by Weird Al as "...Lunch"), "Time After Time", and "She Bop"; these are my favorites of hers and it is hard for me to single out any one of them.

Written By: Starlighter on 09/01/16 at 8:09 pm

How did I not see this thread??

Anyway, the ones I like best are "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" (parodied by Weird Al as "...Lunch"), "Time After Time", and "She Bop"; these are my favorites of hers and it is hard for me to single out any one of them.

Those are good singles. 

It was hard for me to choose on, but I voted for Change of Heart.  It seems like chaotic, emotional rock which I find fascinating.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/01/16 at 9:37 pm

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

It's definitely my favorite song from her.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/02/16 at 1:56 pm

"Time After Time," without a doubt. Cyndi Lauper had a whole ton of great singles in the 1980s, but that song in particular is one of finest of the entire decade.

Written By: Howard on 09/02/16 at 2:05 pm

"Time After Time," without a doubt. Cyndi Lauper had a whole ton of great singles in the 1980s, but that song in particular is one of finest of the entire decade.

It's one of her saddest songs.

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/07/16 at 11:06 pm

Sadly, most people don't give Cyndi a chance at her post-'80s output, and even of those, it's usually just Girls Just Want to Have Fun, Time After Time, True Colors, I Drove All Night, or maybe She Bop or All Through The Night that the classic hits tations still play. Few people know that in 2016 she has released Detour (her 12th album), likely due to her going country. But as far as the '80s hits, my fave is All Through The Night (I Drove All Night is a decent follow up), I like the classic synths, singing, chord progressions, and lyrics.

Written By: robby76 on 09/08/16 at 2:30 am

Sadly, most people don't give Cyndi a chance at her post-'80s output, and even of those, it's usually just Girls Just Want to Have Fun, Time After Time, True Colors, I Drove All Night, or maybe She Bop or All Through The Night that the classic hits tations still play. Few people know that in 2016 she has released Detour (her 12th album), likely due to her going country. But as far as the '80s hits, my fave is All Through The Night (I Drove All Night is a decent follow up), I like the classic synths, singing, chord progressions, and lyrics.

I remember liking "The World is Stone" which got to no15 in the UK charts in 1992.

_pTbtglGQ5Q

Check for new replies or respond here...