inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The best time for pop culture was when you were a tween/teen (8-18)

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/25/07 at 2:59 pm

I was reading a thread about how pop culture was the best time at 12, and I disagree with that because it really starts when you were 8 or 9.  For instance, when I was 9, I wanted to dance like Janet Jackson when she first came out with her album, "Control".  I was wearing Lotto sneakers.  I thought that song, "Rumours" was awesome.  I liked the remake of "Lean On Me" by Club Nouveau.  I liked that song "My Adidas".  I loved "On My Own" by Patti Labelle.  My mom liked hearing me sing Whitney Houston's songs like "All At Once", "Greatest Love Of All".  I remember having an LA Gear set in that year.  I maybe was playing with toys, but I was very aware of the pop culture.  It didn't start at 12.  According to research and my personal experience, it starts from 8-12.

Subject: Re: The best time for pop culture was when you were a preteen (8-12)

Written By: snozberries on 11/25/07 at 3:15 pm

I was reading a thread about how pop culture was the best time at 12, and I disagree with that because it really starts when you were 8 or 9.  For instance, when I was 9, I wanted to dance like Janet Jackson when she first came out with her album, "Control".  I was wearing Lotto sneakers.  I thought that song, "Rumours" was awesome.  I liked the remake of "Lean On Me" by Club Nouveau.  I liked that song "My Adidas".  I loved "On My Own" by Patti Labelle.  My mom liked hearing me sing Whitney Houston's songs like "All At Once", "Greatest Love Of All".  I remember having an LA Gear set in that year.  I maybe was playing with toys, but I was very aware of the pop culture.  It didn't start at 12.  According to research and my personal experience, it starts from 8-12.

I think we'll disagree on this one Nicole... I think it starts when you remember it...

I know people who remember everything about growing up... they went to school from K-12 with the same people and stuff
I moved a lot so a lot of my memories are all mixed up... although I remember a lot of TV and music stuff from being a kid and I love the 70s the best time for me was 14 (1982) on because that's when I finally developed roots. I had friends who I could talk to about the stuff we experienced... prior to that I had no one to share with cuz I was an only child and its hard to make friends when you move every year or two. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/25/07 at 3:19 pm

I can remember pop songs from I was 5 and 6 years old, and taking the ages up to 12, records from that era for me produce fond memories.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/25/07 at 3:39 pm

I think we'll disagree on this one Nicole... I think it starts when you remember it...

I know people who remember everything about growing up... they went to school from K-12 with the same people and stuff
I moved a lot so a lot of my memories are all mixed up... although I remember a lot of TV and music stuff from being a kid and I love the 70s the best time for me was 14 (1982) on because that's when I finally developed roots. I had friends who I could talk to about the stuff we experienced... prior to that I had no one to share with cuz I was an only child and its hard to make friends when you move every year or two. 

You're right.  As far as music is concerned, I was 4.  I moved around a lot myself but I remember a whole lot of music that it's too numerous for me to name them all.  I was sent in a foster home when I was 6 1/2 because my mother was drinking and doing drugs at the time, and she had a lot of men around me, and the DHS didn't like the idea, and plus my grandmother refused to take me in, so I was sent to a foster home.   I went to two foster homes, and I was treated very badly by the caregiver.  I don't wish to explain it because it's too heartbreaking.  It wasn't until my father took me in when I was 8 in 1985.  When I was 8-9 (1985/1986), that was when I finally develop my roots because I finally lived in a steady home.  That's why I said that I was a preteen when I really started embracing pop culture deeply.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/25/07 at 3:53 pm

If it comes down to remembering music, it would be also 4 years old for me. I remember distinctly singing along to Whitney Houston's album, her very first which appeared in 1985. Also, it would be movies - as I saw movies at that age at the theatre that I still remember to this day. Obviously, my memories are more hazy from that time than they would've been at 8 or 9 years old. I would say my favorite year was 1992 (I was ten years old). I always considered it one of the best summer's of my life, and still do.

Written By: snozberries on 11/25/07 at 4:03 pm

Nicole- thx for sharing your story... I remember seeing some it elsewhere tooo...

I can understand in terms of embracing pop culture... music, movies, tv, toys- whatever.... I just think pop culture doesn't really become "pop" culture until you share it with another person... until then its all internalized you know.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/25/07 at 4:04 pm

I can remember pop songs from I was 5 and 6 years old, and taking the ages up to 12, records from that era for me produce fond memories.
There again my pop culture at 12 was in a different decade.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/25/07 at 4:07 pm

If it comes down to remembering music, it would be also 4 years old for me. I remember distinctly singing along to Whitney Houston's album, her very first which appeared in 1985. Also, it would be movies - as I saw movies at that age at the theatre that I still remember to this day. Obviously, my memories are more hazy from that time than they would've been at 8 or 9 years old. I would say my favorite year was 1992 (I was ten years old). I always considered it one of the best summer's of my life, and still do.

I know what you mean.  I remember when I was 4 in 1981,  I remember listening to a lot of Teena Marie, Patti Labelle, Chaka Khan, Diana Ross, Earth, Wind, and Fire, Deniece Williams, Olivia Newton-John, Teddy Pendergrass, Stephanie Mills, Kool and the Gang, Donna Summer etc.  Usually music will be the first thing for a child to remember during development, but as far as REALLY getting into pop culture as far as music, music videos, concerts, skating rinks, fashions, movies, etc. is concerned, it'starts when you're as early as 8 and as late as 12 or even older, it depends.  On average, it's 8 to 12.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/25/07 at 4:10 pm

Nicole- thx for sharing your story... I remember seeing some it elsewhere tooo...

I can understand in terms of embracing pop culture... music, movies, tv, toys- whatever.... I just think pop culture doesn't really become "pop" culture until you share it with another person... until then its all internalized you know.

I shared it mostly with my classmates, and plus, I have older siblings.   They didn't live with me.  They lived with their grandmother, and I used to visit them on the weekends, and summer vacations.  They never take me seriously because I'm the youngest, but when it comes to music and movies, that's different.  Being the youngest sucks sometimes.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/25/07 at 4:53 pm

My memory is haziy at best.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/25/07 at 8:59 pm

Oops, I posted in the "12" thread before I even noticed this one!

I actually liked music as early as my tangible memories go...like three years old, just around when 1984 was becoming '85. Aside from reminding me of waking up to the world, or going to preschool and riding in the car with my parents, it doesn't hurt either that that was an electric time for pop music in general. Lots of those songs I liked so much and "kept with" them as I got older.

Same deal with video games. I really got into those when I started playing NES games at 6. In fact, I got so attached to it that when the original Nintendo started falling out of flavor in the early-mid '90s, I sort of stopped being into video games altogether. Even though I was still only 12-13 back in 1994, I had been constantly playing them (along with Super Nintendo and occasionally Game Boy) that it wasn't as easy for me to move on.

So yeah I totally agree with that.

Written By: Satish on 11/25/07 at 11:47 pm

Oh, I don't know if everything about pop culture is best when you're a pre-teen. There's certain types of popular music that I didn't like when I was 12 and under which I didn't develop an appreciation for till I was older, say around 15 or 16. For instance, hard rock and heavy metal bands like Guns N' Roses and Metallica, I thought were just loud and obnoxious when I was 12 and under.

I actually didn't start listening to music on a regular basis till I was around 13 or 14.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/26/07 at 1:05 am

^ I was much younger than you when I listened to music in general (although that could've just been different situations we grew up in), but I totally had the same experience with heavy metal. Even today I'm not much into it, but I'll at least give more stuff a chance than I would have before. Up until 15ish, I thought it was almost totally noise too. The only hard rock I listened to before then was pop-influenced anyway, like "Jump" from Van Halen, Bon Jovi, or selected classic rock. I primarily liked all kinds of pop and softer stuff as a kid and younger teen. Today I still love everything I ever did, although I've expanded my tastes to include a little bit more than I did back in the day.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/26/07 at 1:31 am

Oh, I don't know if everything about pop culture is best when you're a pre-teen. There's certain types of popular music that I didn't like when I was 12 and under which I didn't develop an appreciation for till I was older, say around 15 or 16. For instance, hard rock and heavy metal bands like Guns N' Roses and Metallica, I thought were just loud and obnoxious when I was 12 and under.

I actually didn't start listening to music on a regular basis till I was around 13 or 14.
It don't have to be everything in the pop culture.  It can be just a little bit of pop culture.  I didn't appreciate that soft Adult-contemporary stuff from the 80s until I got older, but at that time, I was into Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, New Jack Swing, hip hop and all that.  I'm not saying that you appreciate ALL types of pop culture during you preteens.  I'm saying like just a taste of it.  It depends on the individual,  Marty McFly explained it very well when he was a preteen, he started developing his taste for the pop culture.  It may be a little, it may be a lot, but it is still embracing it in any shape or form.  What I meant to say is you start to develop your taste for pop culture during your preteens as early as 8 and as late as 14, but the average is 8-12, according to other scholars.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/26/07 at 2:41 am

Here's the link to back up what I'm saying to prove that the appreciation for music and other forms of pop culture adds all up when you hit your preteens (8-12)  and teens (13-19).  Here's the link:

http://www.childdevelopmentinfo.com/store/children's-music.htm

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/26/07 at 2:43 am

Here's the link to back up what I'm saying to prove that the appreciation for music and other forms of pop culture adds all up when you hit your preteens (8-12)  and teens (13-19).  Here's the link:

http://www.childdevelopmentinfo.com/store/children's-music.htm

I was certainly encouraged to listen to classical music at a very young age. It was whenever a concert was on the radio or television.

Nowadays (if you have seen my posts inother threads) classical music dominates my life. That is on the radio, television and going to concerts at least about once a month.

Subject: Re: The best time for pop culture was when you were a preteen

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/26/07 at 3:05 am

I was certainly encouraged to listen to classical music at a very young age. It was whenever a concert was on the radio or television.

Nowadays (if you have seen my posts inother threads) classical music dominates my life. That is on the radio, television and going to concerts at least about once a month.

Exactly.  That's what I was saying.  A lot of people overlook the fact that music is the most poweful tool, and people benefit off of music.  That's the reason why my memory is so strong because even though my mom was an unfit mother at the time, she made sure that nobody hurted me.  She always played RnB, soul, and pop/rock music in the house when I was a baby and toddler.  I started singing when I was 9 months old.  I was in a school choir when I was in the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade.  But, it's something about when you hit your preteens when you start to develop the love of pop culture, and when you hit your teens, your love for pop culture becomes stronger.  I'm speaking of experience, and what I've studied in  psychology class in high school.  That's why it's so important for parents to expose their children to music at a very young age.  It will benefit them when they get older.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/26/07 at 3:07 am

Exactly.  That's what I was saying.  A lot of people overlook the fact that music is the most poweful tool, and people benefit off of music.  That's the reason why my memory is so strong because even though my mom was an unfit mother at the time, she made sure that nobody hurts me.  She always play RnB, soul, and pop/rock music in the house,  I started sing when I was 9 months.  I was in a school choir when I was in the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade.  But, it's something about when you hit your preteens when you start to develop the love of pop culture, and when you hit your teens, your love for pop culture becomes stronger.  I'm speaking of experience, and what I've studied in  psychology class in high school.  That's why it's so important for parents to expose their children to music at a very young age.  It will benefit them when they get older.
Now I wish my parent played the piano, but then they did not.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/26/07 at 3:10 am

Now I wish my parent played the piano, but then they did not.

According to that link, it can be millions of ways that your parents can expose you to music like TV commercials, the radio, musical toy instruments, an LP for children, etc.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/26/07 at 1:39 pm

I agree with Nicolette and not just because of my own personal experience (although it didn't hurt that my parents listened to current music in the '80s, particularly my mom). Music is very "easy" to get into since it can just be in the background and you can always listen to it. Watching television or movies, you might have to be a little older to appreciate it (I was 9 or 10) and even video games require some kind of participation.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/26/07 at 3:32 pm

I know what you mean.  I remember when I was 4 in 1981,  I remember listening to a lot of Teena Marie, Patti Labelle, Chaka Khan, Diana Ross, Earth, Wind, and Fire, Deniece Williams, Olivia Newton-John, Teddy Pendergrass, Stephanie Mills, Kool and the Gang, Donna Summer etc.  Usually music will be the first thing for a child to remember during development, but as far as REALLY getting into pop culture as far as music, music videos, concerts, skating rinks, fashions, movies, etc. is concerned, it'starts when you're as early as 8 and as late as 12 or even older, it depends.  On average, it's 8 to 12.

Well, I started roller skating at 7 years old, so a lot of my pop culture memories start around that time, too. It's hard to put an age to something that can be so different for so many people.

Written By: snozberries on 11/26/07 at 3:37 pm

If we're talking about exposure to and absorption of pop culture...that's different I was thinking about appreciation of or recognition of this thing we call pop culture...

I think our exposure and absorption begins much younger than  8

I do not remember a lot of event in my life but the ones I do involve TV... I know a lot of you are into music and I like music to one song can invoke a ton of memories but for me.. probably because we moved a lot TV was the only friend I had...no matter where we were (except when I lived in Panama) the one thing that stayed the same was TV... The even tho independent channels were different the programming was similar and the networks were always the same.

I remember sitting in front of the TV as a toddler and learning english from Seasame Street and later the Electric Company . I remember waiting to hear Miss Nancy say my name on Romper Room (see never did)

I remember watching New Zoo Revue until it was time to leave for kindergarten

When we moved to Panama I was in the 1st grade we lived there for three years. I watched Seasame St in spanish and even tho big bird looked funny it was still familar to me.
This is when I started listening to music... I had a white record player and played my Lou Rawls and Debbie Boone 45s incessantly.  I also listened to songs like Snoopy vs the Red Baron, The Teddy Bears picnic, and that Austrailian song that I can hear the music for right now but can't come up with the title it Kuckburrow or something.

Ultra Man and Thor were my favorite Super Heros... I saw Miracle on 34th st and learned the best kept secret in the world...thanks mom for ruining Christmas for me at the age of 7 >:(

When we moved back to the states I had just started 4th grade It was 1976- my parents listened to motown so I learned to love it too but I was finding my own music on the radio too.

mostly I remember discovering Charlies Angels

by this time I was completely obsessed with the tv lineup... I was looking for the old friends I lost while I was in Panama (read my signature) 

I found them and my tv hasn't been off since.

I listen to music and like lots of stuff but given the choice of only having one outlet for my pop culture consumption I would choose TV...even if they took out the music channels or XM (which I get with Directv) because I can live without music but i CANNOT live without TV

my point is... this was instilled in me at the age of two so I don't know I guess I think its all subjective...

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/26/07 at 3:38 pm

I agree with Nicolette and not just because of my own personal experience (although it didn't hurt that my parents listened to current music in the '80s, particularly my mom). Music is very "easy" to get into since it can just be in the background and you can always listen to it. Watching television or movies, you might have to be a little older to appreciate it (I was 9 or 10) and even video games require some kind of participation.

Exactly.  Music is the first piece of pop culture children pick up when they're an infant, a toddler(1-2), a preschooler(3-4) or a grade schooler (5-8).  As far as starting to embracing and experiencing pop culture to share with your friends, your classmates, or anybody, it will start when you're in your tweens (8-12)

Written By: snozberries on 11/26/07 at 3:45 pm

Exactly.  Music is the first piece of pop culture children pick up when they're an infant, a toddler(1-2), a preschooler(3-4) or a grade schooler (5-8).  As far as starting to embracing and experiencing pop culture to share with your friends, your classmates, or anybody, it will start when you're in your tweens (8-12)

That's where I  disagree... because of who I am or what happened in my life I embraced TV before music and didn't really start sharing that experience until high school because I didn't have a lot of friends growing up.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/26/07 at 3:46 pm

If we're talking about exposure to and absorption of pop culture...that's different I was thinking about appreciation of or recognition of this thing we call pop culture...

I think our exposure and absorption begins much younger than  8

I do not remember a lot of event in my life but the ones I do involve TV... I know a lot of you are into music and I like music to one song can invoke a ton of memories but for me.. probably because we moved a lot TV was the only friend I had...no matter where we were (except when I lived in Panama) the one thing that stayed the same was TV... The even tho independent channels were different the programming was similar and the networks were always the same.

I remember sitting in front of the TV as a toddler and learning english from Seasame Street and later the Electric Company . I remember waiting to hear Miss Nancy say my name on Romper Room (see never did)

I remember watching New Zoo Revue until it was time to leave for kindergarten

When we moved to Panama I was in the 1st grade we lived there for three years. I watched Seasame St in spanish and even tho big bird looked funny it was still familar to me.
This is when I started listening to music... I had a white record player and played my Lou Rawls and Debbie Boone 45s incessantly.  I also listened to songs like Snoopy vs the Red Baron, The Teddy Bears picnic, and that Austrailian song that I can hear the music for right now but can't come up with the title it Kuckburrow or something.

Ultra Man and Thor were my favorite Super Heros... I saw Miracle on 34th st and learned the best kept secret in the world...thanks mom for ruining Christmas for me at the age of 7 >:(

When we moved back to the states I had just started 4th grade It was 1976- my parents listened to motown so I learned to love it too but I was finding my own music on the radio too.

mostly I remember discovering Charlies Angels

by this time I was completely obsessed with the tv lineup... I was looking for the old friends I lost while I was in Panama (read my signature) 

I found them and my tv hasn't been off since.

I listen to music and like lots of stuff but given the choice of only having one outlet for my pop culture consumption I would choose TV...even if they took out the music channels or XM (which I get with Directv) because I can live without music but i CANNOT live without TV

my point is... this was instilled in me at the age of two so I don't know I guess I think its all subjective...

That was awesome what you said!  Thank you for explaining that to me.  I didn't say it right.  What I meant to say was that the best time to start to experience and appreciate pop culture starts when you are in your preteens and teens.  That's what I meant to say.  I wanted to give you a karma for that but I have to wait until tommorow to do that. >:(  That sucks.  What you said makes a whole lot of sense.  I'm going to change my topic to that. THANKS! :)

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/26/07 at 3:51 pm

That's where I  disagree... because of who I am or what happened in my life I embraced TV before music and didn't really start sharing that experience until high school because I didn't have a lot of friends growing up.

I was like you.  I didn't have a lot of friends either when I started living with my father.  I only have two friends. Everybody is different.  As for me, music was first, then it was TV.  I had a hard life as a kid, but for some reason, music makes me forget about the bad.  That's why when I listen to 80s and early 90s stuff.  instead of thinking about the bad, I think about the good times.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/26/07 at 3:53 pm

I was a preteen from 1982-1986 great for pop culture.  MTV, Michael Jackson's Thriller album, wearing florescent colors.  Great Saturday morning cartoons.

Written By: snozberries on 11/26/07 at 3:58 pm

no problem... yeah it makes more sense to me too...

One thing I know about me is that I am more visual than auditory...That's probably why TV appeals to me more than music...

I remember my parents taking to see a movie in 1972

I didn't really remember the experience of going to the movie because I was five what I remember is growing up from the age of 5 experiencing horrible nightmares. I was too young to understand these nightmares or even realize the source of them all I know Is I woke up at night screaming with sheer terror....

The images of my dreams were always the same- I was trapped on bus and there were men with white sheets trying to get me... or there was a woman in a white room wearing a white coat (it was a strait jacket) but to me it looked like she had no arms...she was going crazy crying and screaming and just going nuts...

I was horrified by these images... I didn't learn until Jr high or high school that these two things were from the movie Lady Sings the Blues... the men in white sheets were the klan (somehow my parents sheilded my from knowing about the klan so I didn't know what they were- I knew they weren't ghosts but they were angry and terrifying.)

At the age 13 I was watching Lady Sings the Blues and saw the bus scene I called my mom and told her this was the nightmare I'd been having for years...she looked at me & said your father and I took you see this movie when you were five when this scene came on we made you duck down behind the seat we didn't think you saw it... obviously I did and it stayed with me.

Anyway- this film- even though I didn't remember seeing it stayed with me. Once I learned what an impact it had on my life I became obsessed with it... Its on my lists of fav. films because it made such an impact..that negative impact became a positive for me.

I also used to have nightmares about the One Armed Man from the Fugitive... I thought he was chasing me and trying to kill me like he did Richard Kimball's wife  ;D 

Written By: snozberries on 11/26/07 at 4:00 pm

I had a hard life as a kid, but for some reason, music makes me forget about the bad.  That's why when I listen to 80s and early 90s stuff.  instead of thinking about the bad, I think about the good times.

Dirty Dancing does this for me... it's weird but I had such a positive experience watching this movie opening nite that no matter how bad a day I am having if I see Dirty Dancing I feel better.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/26/07 at 4:02 pm

no problem... yeah it makes more sense to me too...

One thing I know about me is that I am more visual than auditory...That's probably why TV appeals to me more than music...

I remember my parents taking to see a movie in 1972

I didn't really remember the experience of going to the movie because I was five what I remember is growing up from the age of 5 experiencing horrible nightmares. I was too young to understand these nightmares or even realize the source of them all I know Is I woke up at night screaming with sheer terror....

The images of my dreams were always the same- I was trapped on bus and there were men with white sheets trying to get me... or there was a woman in a white room wearing a white coat (it was a strait jacket) but to me it looked like she had no arms...she was going crazy crying and screaming and just going nuts...

I was horrified by these images... I didn't learn until Jr high or high school that these two things were from the movie Lady Sings the Blues... the men in white sheets were the klan (somehow my parents sheilded my from knowing about the klan so I didn't know what they were- I knew they weren't ghosts but they were angry and terrifying.)

At the age 13 I was watching Lady Sings the Blues and saw the bus scene I called my mom and told her this was the nightmare I'd been having for years...she looked at me & said your father and I took you see this movie when you were five when this scene came on we made you duck down behind the seat we didn't think you saw it... obviously I did and it stayed with me.

Anyway- this film- even though I didn't remember seeing it stayed with me. Once I learned what an impact it had on my life I became obsessed with it... Its on my lists of fav. films because it made such an impact..that negative impact became a positive for me.

I also used to have nightmares about the One Armed Man from the Fugitive... I thought he was chasing me and trying to kill me like he did Richard Kimball's wife  ;D 

Wow!!! my mother and father went to see "Lady Sings The Blues".  Maybe that's why I like that movie so much because my mother will tell me about that.  I remember seeing it on TV at 15, and please don't laugh at me, but I had a nightmare because of that bathroom scene.  Yeah, I know, me, at 15, having nightmares!!! ;D  And, I'm both auditory and visual.

Subject: Re: The best time for pop culture was when you were a tween/teen (8-18)

Written By: snozberries on 11/26/07 at 4:11 pm

Who am I to laugh at your nightmares?

This happens to me with several films... for some reason I used to have nightmares about the subway scene in the Wiz and I was older then....

Subject: Re: The best time for pop culture was when you were a tween/teen (8-18)

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/26/07 at 4:22 pm

Who am I to laugh at your nightmares?

This happens to me with several films... for some reason I used to have nightmares about the subway scene in the Wiz and I was older then....

Yeah, that part was scary, especially when that homeless man had those two ugly orange puppet-looking monsters who start off real little, but because huge, scary, and hideous!!!!

Written By: dushanbe on 11/27/07 at 10:21 am

i think people identify with the time they were 9 and consider anywhere from age 3 to age 25 their "time".

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/27/07 at 11:51 am

i think people identify with the time they were 9 and consider anywhere from age 3 to age 25 their "time".

I agree.  I notice that too.  I notice that people tend to lose interest in the pop culture (youth culture)  by the time they hit around  the ages of 21-25. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/27/07 at 11:54 am

I agree.  I notice that too.  I notice that people tend to lose interest in the pop culture (youth culture)  by the time they hit around  the ages of 21-25. 
With nothing of pure interest in todays' charts I have certainly lose all faith in modern pop music.

My pop culture continued with my son growing up, so add another 12 years to that 21 to 25 age range.

Now my son is 27 this year and he is developing a keen into classical music.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/27/07 at 12:07 pm

With nothing of pure interest in todays' charts I have certainly lose all faith in modern pop music.

My pop culture continued with my son growing up, so add another 12 years to that 21 to 25 age range.

Now my son is 27 this year and he is developing a keen into classical music.

33-37 years old!!!

I notice that when I got older like around 19, 20, or 21, I start to listen to 70s and early 80s RnB/soul music that my mother exposed to me when I was an infant to 5 years old.  I don't know what it is, but the music that I was exposed to when I was an infant, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 years old,  I started to yearn for it as I got in my late teens to early 20s. 

Written By: dushanbe on 11/27/07 at 3:23 pm

Being born in 1990, I consider anywhere from 1993 to 2015 my time. So I'm a 90s, 00s and 10s person. :)

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/27/07 at 5:13 pm

I notice that the preteen (age 8-12) and their teens (age 13-18) are the most nostalgic, according to what dushanbe said.  This is so true because when I think about the good old days, I tend to think about the music, the videos, the clothes, the movies, and the TV shows back in 1985-1995.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/27/07 at 7:33 pm

That's the one thing I disagree on, with both points. I think it happens sooner (at least for people who spent some childhood in the '80s or later). However I think people can "sorta like" things up through their 30s, even if not in the same way they liked their childhood and early teenage pop culture. The cutoff point is probably getting out of high school. There's so much out there by now that by the time you're 18 or so, you've got alot of history on you.

It's ridiculous to say a 22 year old is super hip and cool and a 28 year old isn't. Although I agree on the rest.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/27/07 at 8:03 pm

That's the one thing I disagree on, with both points. I think it happens sooner (at least for people who spent some childhood in the '80s or later). However I think people can "sorta like" things up through their 30s, even if not in the same way they liked their childhood and early teenage pop culture. The cutoff point is probably getting out of high school. There's so much out there by now that by the time you're 18 or so, you've got alot of history on you.

It's ridiculous to say a 22 year old is super hip and cool and a 28 year old isn't. Although I agree on the rest.

You know what?  You're right because even though I was still listening to RnB/Hip Hop after I graduated out of high school in 1995, I was slowiy but surely yearning for more mature stuff even though I was still into my youthful RnB/Hip Hop.  It's, like, little by little.  Like, for instance, when I was 19, I started to buy 70s and very early 80s RnB/soul music like Teena Marie and Earth, Wind, and Fire, and I remember people around my age at my job made fun of me for listening to old stuff.   I didn't orignally say that 25 was the last time.  I say 18 and maybe 21 was the last time you start to slowly lose interest in pop culture.  As far as pop culture, I was 21 1/2.

Written By: dushanbe on 11/27/07 at 8:04 pm

You know what?  You're right because even though I was still listening to RnB/Hip Hop after I graduated out of high school in 1995, I was slowiy but surely yearning for more mature stuff even though I was still into my youthful RnB/Hip Hop.  It's, like, little by little.  Like, for instance, when I was 19, I started to buy 70s and very early 80s RnB/soul music like Teena Marie and Earth, Wind, and Fire, and I remember people around my age at my job made fun of me listening to old stuff.  I didn't orignally say that 25 was the last time.  I say 18 and maybe 21 was the last time you start to slowly lose interest in pop culture.  As far as pop culture, I was 21 1/2.

This Soulja Boy stuff seems past me and I'm 17. :D

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/27/07 at 8:12 pm

This Soulja Boy stuff seems past me and I'm 17. :D

Soulja Boy sucks!!! 8-P  Well, at 17 in 1994, it was still RnB and hip hop that I liked, like Brandy, Aaliyah, Changing Faces, Nas, Chante Moore.

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/28/07 at 8:14 pm

I had just about lost all interest in pop culture before my 20th birthday, so I definitely agree with you on this one.  :)

Written By: KKay on 11/28/07 at 9:15 pm

a great time for pop stuff was in my 13- 15 age- late 70s in NY was GREAT!
I was really older and ready to appreciate such things when I was in college- 1983-7 was a great time for music and being old enough to go out an enjoy it.
TV.....not so much.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/28/07 at 9:33 pm

a great time for pop stuff was in my 13- 15 age- late 70s in NY was GREAT!
I was really older and ready to appreciate such things when I was in college- 1983-7 was a great time for music and being old enough to go out an enjoy it.
TV.....not so much.

You know, that's why I said that I lost interest in pop culture when I was 21 because when I was in my late teens, even though my interest for pop culture was slowing down a little bit, I had more fun around that time.  I went to see R.Kelly, LL Cool J, Xscape, with my girlfriend in 1996.  I also went to Puffy's No Way Out tour with Puffy himself, Jay-Z, Foxy Brown, Busta Rhymes, Usher, Lil Kim, 112, Black Rob, The Lox, and the whole Bad Boy family in 1997.  I went to an old-school concert with Earth, Wind, and Fire, The Ojays, and The Isley Brothers in 1998.

Written By: KKay on 11/28/07 at 10:03 pm

You know, that's why I said that I lost interest in pop stuff when I was 21 because when I was in my late teens, even though my interest for pop culture was slowing down a little bit, I had more fun around that time.  I went to see R.Kelly, LL Cool J, Xscape, with my girlfriend in 1996.  I also went to Puffy's No Way Out tour with Puffy himself, Jay-Z, Foxy Brown, Busta Rhymes, Usher, Lil Kim, 112, Black Rob, The Lox, and the whole Bad Boy family in 1997.  I went to an old-school concert with Earth, Wind, and Fire, The Ojays, and The Isley Brothers in 1998.

It all sounds amazing. I'd love to see all those great acts; but OJays and Isleys?  WOW!!!!!  I'd looooove to see them!

Written By: tv on 11/29/07 at 4:12 pm

You know, that's why I said that I lost interest in pop culture when I was 21 because when I was in my late teens, even though my interest for pop culture was slowing down a little bit, I had more fun around that time.  I went to see R.Kelly, LL Cool J, Xscape, with my girlfriend in 1996.  I also went to Puffy's No Way Out tour with Puffy himself, Jay-Z, Foxy Brown, Busta Rhymes, Usher, Lil Kim, 112, Black Rob, The Lox, and the whole Bad Boy family in 1997. 

My(TV's response)I remember that song that The Lox and Lil Kim did together back in 1998 that was a hit: "Money, Power & Respect". I remember in 1998 when LL Cool J had that fued with Canibus too. Xscape had a couple hits that year too like "Softest Place On Earth" and some other song too. Good times back in 1998!

Written By: tv on 11/29/07 at 4:29 pm

Yeah I think I was 26 when the whole snap rap trend started and I never understood the whole thing snap rap thing(popularity wise) when it first entered the music scene in late 2005. The whole snap rap started that whole thing with rappers(gimmicky ones) having one or 2 hits and than fading from the music scene. Than again I wasn't very much into the 1999-2000 music scene with the whole teen-pop thing.

It seemed like the music transitioned(spanning mid 2005-early 2007) from the Gen Yers that were born in the late 80's to the late Gen Yers that were born 1991+ sort of the way the whole teen-pop thing in 1999 became huge and rubbed any Gen X influence away from the music scene(well on the Billboard Charts anyway for the most part.)

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/29/07 at 5:32 pm

You know, that's why I said that I lost interest in pop culture when I was 21 because when I was in my late teens, even though my interest for pop culture was slowing down a little bit, I had more fun around that time.  I went to see R.Kelly, LL Cool J, Xscape, with my girlfriend in 1996.  I also went to Puffy's No Way Out tour with Puffy himself, Jay-Z, Foxy Brown, Busta Rhymes, Usher, Lil Kim, 112, Black Rob, The Lox, and the whole Bad Boy family in 1997. 

My(TV's response)I remember that song that The Lox and Lil Kim did together back in 1998 that was a hit: "Money, Power & Respect". I remember in 1998 when LL Cool J had that fued with Canibus too. Xscape had a couple hits that year too like "Softest Place On Earth" and some other song too. Good times back in 1998!

You're right.  1998 was a good year for RnB, in my opinion.  I mean, "Nobody's Suppose To Be Here", by Deborah Cox!!!!  That was my song!!!!  How could I ignore that.  She tore that song up.  1998 had some VERY good RnB music, but when 1999 hit (I was so glad that I was in church then)  even though I like some RnB songs that came out in 1999 and beyond, it started to suck!!!!!

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/29/07 at 5:46 pm

Yeah I think I was 26 when the whole snap rap trend started and I never understood the whole thing snap rap thing(popularity wise) when it first entered the music scene in late 2005. The whole snap rap started that whole thing with rappers(gimmicky ones) having one or 2 hits and than fading from the music scene. Than again I wasn't very much into the 1999-2000 music scene with the whole teen-pop thing.

It seemed like the music transitioned(spanning mid 2005-early 2007) from the Gen Yers that were born in the late 80's to the late Gen Yers that were born 1991+ sort of the way the whole teen-pop thing in 1999 became huge and rubbed any Gen X influence away from the music scene(well on the Billboard Charts anyway for the most part.)
  I'm a late Gen Xer, and I notice that most late Xers tend to like music from the 1985-1998.  I notice that.  After 1999 hit and beyond, I notice my pop music taste started to scatter.  The only type of music that I listened to at that time that fit the late Gen Xers are neo-soul, an underground RnB music, and I notice that most black late Gen Xers listen to neo-soul.  As far as popular music is concerned, it was VERY few compare to the 1985-1998.  Destiny's Child came from the 90s.  They came out in 1997 before the teen pop exploded, so they are an exception.  Beyonce, Alicia Keys, Amerie, and Christina Aguilera are the very only pop artists that I like after 1999.  As far as listening to it on a whole like I did in the mid to late 80s and 1990-1998 BARELY TO NEVER.

Written By: tv on 11/29/07 at 6:32 pm

You're right.  1998 was a good year for RnB, in my opinion.  I mean, "Nobody's Suppose To Be Here", by Deborah Cox!!!!  That was my song!!!!  How could I ignore that.  She tore that song up.  1998 had some VERY good RnB music, but when 1999 hit (I was so glad that I was in church then)  even though I like some RnB songs that came out in 1999 and beyond, it started to suck!!!!!
Yeah 1998 was a big year for R&B. R&B group "Next" how can you forget about them either: "Butta Love" was a hit than "Too Close" went #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 I think than "I Still Love You" was another hit by them. Brian McKnight was huge that year too as was Montell Jordan. I also remember that song by R&B group Public Announcement "Yippie-Yo-Yippy Ya(Body Bumprin).

Written By: tv on 11/29/07 at 6:54 pm

I'm a late Gen Xer, and I notice that most late Xers tend to like music from the 1985-1998.  I notice that.  After 1999 hit and beyond, I notice my pop music taste started to scatter.  The only type of music that I listened to at that time that fit the late Gen Xers are neo-soul, an underground RnB music, and I notice that most black late Gen Xers listen to neo-soul.  As far as popular music is concerned, it was VERY few compare to the 1985-1998.  Destiny's Child came from the 90s.  They came out in 1997 before the teen pop exploded, so they are an exception.  Beyonce, Alicia Keys, Amerie, and Christina Aguilera are the very only pop artists that I like after 1999.  As far as listening to it on a whole like I did in the mid to late 80s and 1990-1998 BARELY TO NEVER.
I like the musical period spanning 1983-1998 myself but the early 90's(1990-1991) did have its corny stuff like "Rico Sauve" and "Im Too Sexy". I do like 00's tunes like "Going Under" by Evanesnce, "Here Without You" by 3 Doors Down, Hate It Or Love It by the Game and 50 Cent and "Why" by Jadakiss and Anthony Hamilton but not like I like 90's or 80's music though.

The only real artists that I really follow in this decade are Kanye West and Alicia Keys.

Yeah I don;t listen to the radio that much anymore because I just don't get excited about hearing todays music too much.

For me it seemed like once 2002-2003 came around I wasn;t eager to listen to the radio anymore. In 2001 I did spend some Saturday afternoons listening to Top 40 radio.

Check for new replies or respond here...