inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Should I EVEN Try To Wear This?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/27/07 at 6:35 pm

Alright, last week I was cleaning out a closet in my house and came across a cape that my mother bought--and wore--in the 80s.

It's a very pretty fabric, a plaid made of muted reds and blacks and greens and plums. It kind of looks like the cape Apollonia wore in the Purple Rain movie.

http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/statusainthood/archives/images/purple%20rain.jpg
(That's her in the background and she wore the cape for the entire movie!)

I really like the cape and the look of it, but I was wondering, should I attempt to wear it--with all black so it'll pop--or should I just leave it in the closet with my regular clothes?

I don't want to have people laughing at me.  :-[

What do you guys think?

Subject: Re: Should I EVEN Try To Wear This?

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/07 at 7:55 pm

Honestly I would leave it in the closet or frame it... I get your obsession but you're in LA I think people will laugh...

Written By: dushanbe on 11/27/07 at 7:56 pm

Honestly I would leave it in the closet or frame it... I get your obsession but you're in LA I think people will laugh...

Dumb southern Californians. :D

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/27/07 at 8:14 pm

I'm glad I'm from the East Coast.  I can't live in the West Coast.  I like the rap that's from there, but as far as living there?  HELL NO!!!

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/07 at 8:15 pm

I'm glad I'm from the East Coast.  I can't live in the West Coast.  I like the rap that's from there, but as far as living there?  HELL NO!!!

Hey it's not so bad....plus you have friend who can show the good side of CALI

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/27/07 at 8:19 pm

Hey it's not so bad....plus you have friend who can show the good side of CALI

Oh, are you from Cali?

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/07 at 8:21 pm

Oh, are you from Cali?

Yeah I live in Santa Barbara about 90 miles north of LA

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/27/07 at 8:28 pm

Yeah I live in Santa Barbara about 90 miles north of LA

I bet you never have to worry about wearing a coat, and bundling up like us East Coasters! ;D  That's one thing about the West Coast that I like.  It's warm over there all the time.

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/07 at 8:34 pm

I bet you never have to worry about wearing a coat, and bundling up like us East Coasters! ;D  That's one thing about the West Coast that I like.  It's warm over there all the time.

That's actually a misconception...granted it doesn't drop below zero or snow here but it can get really cold...

Santa Barbara is on the ocean so we get a biting cold... the lows have been in the 30s ( I know it doesn't compare with the East Coast but it's still cold....) although I must admit the afternoons have been really nice!

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/27/07 at 8:44 pm

That's actually a misconception...granted it doesn't drop below zero or snow here but it can get really cold...

Santa Barbara is on the ocean so we get a biting cold... the lows have been in the 30s ( I know it doesn't compare with the East Coast but it's still cold....) although I must admit the afternoons have been really nice!
I would rather live where you live at, then!!! ;D  I HATE below zero weather and I hate it when it's real real hot.  I like in-between weather like where you live at.

Written By: wsmith4 on 11/27/07 at 10:08 pm

I would rather live where you live at, then!!! ;D  I HATE below zero weather and I hate it when it's real real hot.  I like in-between weather like where you live at.

Nicole, I think you're probably the one of the nicest people on this board.  So nice to have you here  :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/27/07 at 10:40 pm

Actually I think she's in Texas somewhere.

I'd wear it if I thought it was pretty.  Screw people if they don't like it, they don't have to look at me then.

I wear clothes because I like them, not because I'm dressing for anyone else.  If it's comfortable, or I happen to like the fabric then I wear it.
That said, I do have clothes that I like that I don't wear and it's unfortunate, but they just hang in my closet.  I hate just giving them away, but I am almost to the point that I probably will end up getting rid of them, I've got a tendency to packrat.

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/07 at 11:00 pm

Actually I think she's in Texas somewhere.

I'd wear it if I thought it was pretty.  Screw people if they don't like it, they don't have to look at me then.

I wear clothes because I like them, not because I'm dressing for anyone else.  If it's comfortable, or I happen to like the fabric then I wear it.
That said, I do have clothes that I like that I don't wear and it's unfortunate, but they just hang in my closet.  I hate just giving them away, but I am almost to the point that I probably will end up getting rid of them, I've got a tendency to packrat.

my mistake then I thought on the newbie's board she posted that she was from LA...

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/28/07 at 2:19 am

It is a misconception that we don't get cold weather here. True - it's fair a lot of the time - but, live in the Sierras and you'll end up like the Donner Party if you're without a coat. Plus, we get snow on a lot of our mountain tops. I would say areas that get the least cold are parts of SoCal and Central California (Modesto, Fresno, Bakersfield, etc)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/28/07 at 2:29 am

Alright, last week I was cleaning out a closet in my house and came across a cape that my mother bought--and wore--in the 80s.

It's a very pretty fabric, a plaid made of muted reds and blacks and greens and plums. It kind of looks like the cape Apollonia wore in the Purple Rain movie.

http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/statusainthood/archives/images/purple%20rain.jpg
(That's her in the background and she wore the cape for the entire movie!)

I really like the cape and the look of it, but I was wondering, should I attempt to wear it--with all black so it'll pop--or should I just leave it in the closet with my regular clothes?

I don't want to have people laughing at me.  :-http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTb_iPJU1HRzUBjUyjzbkF/SIG=13l63alrf/EXP=1196324623/**http%3A//us.ent2.yimg.com/musicfinder.yahoo.com/images/yahoo/reprise/stevie_nicks/stevie_nicks2.jpg

this is definitely a cape http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTb_xaJk1Hji8A7AOjzbkF/SIG=13ck579tq/EXP=1196324826/**http%3A//img3.photobucket.com/albums/v13/materalgirl82/Apolloniaouttakesfrompurplerain.jpg
you'll get some looks and stares for sures, maybe not laughs. it's cool

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/28/07 at 11:01 am

I say go for it. It sounds like it will make a fashion statement-and not in a bad way.

Cat

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/28/07 at 12:57 pm

Nicole, I think you're probably the one of the nicest people on this board.  So nice to have you here  :)

No problem.  I really love this board because this was a part of my youth, and ya'll have make me feel so comfortable here.  Thank you.  I appreciate your hospitality in this board. :)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/28/07 at 5:36 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. And yes, I do live in Texas and am freezing as I'm typing this now lol.

And I'm not obsessed with Apollonia. It's just I like 1980s stuff alot and she was in one of the largest movies of the 1980s. (Not to mention that cute little Prince.)

I'll think about giving the cape a go. But I'll keep everything else extrmely modern, so I don't look like I'm wearing a costume.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 11/28/07 at 5:39 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. And yes, I do live in Texas and am freezing as I'm typing this now lol.

And I'm not obsessed with Apollonia. It's just I like 1980s stuff alot and she was in one of the largest movies of the 1980s. (Not to mention that cute little Prince.)

I'll think about giving the cape a go. But I'll keep everything else extrmely modern, so I don't look like I'm wearing a costume.  ;D

I still think you should frame it... it would make wonderful wall art!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/28/07 at 6:04 pm

I still think you should frame it... it would make wonderful wall art!

@Snoz:

I would probably frame it, but I have no room to hang it. LOL.

Written By: snozberries on 11/28/07 at 6:21 pm

@Snoz:

I would probably frame it, but I have no room to hang it. LOL.

I know the feeling... how about

a bed canopy
or hang it on the ceiling like I've seen them do on the home decorating shows...

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/28/07 at 8:08 pm

If you feel comfortable wearing it, then I think you should go for it. Try not to worry about what other people might think!  :)

Written By: Trimac20 on 12/02/07 at 8:36 pm

It might be good at certain parties or a funeral, but I don't see what the big deal is, if you feel comfortable wearing out then do so!

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/03/07 at 2:03 am

If you are concerned with what others will think, then I say wait until you feel comfortable enough to wear it regardless of others' opinions.

Of course, if the proper circumstances warrant it, such as an '80s Party or something, then Go Fer It!
Take A Fashion Risk! Fly! Go Fer It!

Written By: K.M. Richards on 12/07/07 at 11:33 pm

Come out here to Los Angeles, bring the cape, and I'll be proud to be seen with you wearing it.

Fashion is about personal taste.  If you feel good wearing something, the vibe will rub off on those watching.

Check for new replies or respond here...