inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: $20 if you can name this song

Written By: ladimystyk on 11/29/07 at 12:55 pm

I will paypal $20 to the first person who can provide me with the correct song title and artist of the song that contains the following lyrics:

Fire like smoke
I remember when our hearts were restless and bored
shining moment in the sun
when we were young
Drawing you near
we were much too young to know the meaning of fear
Feel that longing for again
it's not the end
I'd run as swiftly as the wind
if love was waiting somewhere for me

Fire in my eyes
wait to call you up my body trembles inside
You know after all these years
you're so near
chances that we take
just to hear your voice

Has it really been that long
Since you've been gone
I'd run as swiftly as the wind
if love were waiting somewhere for me
|Fly to the moon and back again
if love was waiting somewhere for me

Subject: Re: $20 if you can name this song

Written By: karen on 11/29/07 at 1:22 pm

Perhaps you could tell us a bit more about the style of the song, male/female artist, whereabouts you're from etc.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/29/07 at 1:39 pm

Is it definely from the 80's?

Written By: wsmith4 on 11/29/07 at 2:17 pm

"If Love Was Waiting" By Sergio Mendes.

Written By: snozberries on 11/29/07 at 5:52 pm

why didn't ladimystyk just google the lyrics herself?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/29/07 at 6:08 pm

That is the $20 question.

Cat

Written By: karen on 11/29/07 at 8:50 pm

I tried googling it but found nothing

Written By: snozberries on 11/29/07 at 8:57 pm

I tried googling it but found nothing

I didn't try cuz it had already been answered... lately I've just been a little wary of newbies posts

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/29/07 at 11:07 pm

Has the $20 been sent yet?

Written By: snozberries on 11/29/07 at 11:18 pm

I didn't try cuz it had already been answered... lately I've just been a little wary of newbies posts

I take it back cuz in doing the search I learned that she asked this same question on another board about a year ago so not as suspicious as I initially presumed ....  :-[ with apologies to ladimystyk

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/29/07 at 11:21 pm

I take it back cuz in doing the search I learned that she asked this same question on another board about a year ago so not as suspicious as I initially presumed ....  :-onehitwonder

Written By: ladimystyk on 11/30/07 at 9:15 am

Hi...this is Ladimystyk....That was a good try (Sergio Mendez), but this song was by a female artist who kinda sounded a lot like Patrice Rushin or someone in that vein. I am not sure if it was a group or a solo artist with a few background singers.  It was a mid-tempo song...I guess you could say it was a dance song.  I am sorry I did not include this info in my original post. 

And I promise that if someone out there can tell me what song this is, you will get the $20.  I have been looking for this song for ages, so $20 is but a small thing to pay for anyone who can help me.  My goal is to have this song on my iPod before I die.  (HAHHAHAHAHAHHA).  (No apologies necessary.  I would be suspicious too.)

Written By: ladimystyk on 11/30/07 at 9:21 am

Oh...and to answer the question as to why I did not google the lyrics.....(I almost fell out my chair)...I have been googling the lyrics for the past year or so.  Nothing ever hits.  I have NEVER not found a song I am looking for.  NEVER.  Except for this one.  This one is my "white whale."  Thus far, I have spent hours on the internet looking for info about it, called radio stations, gone to record stores singing it to anybody who looks knowledgeable about old school music, gone to RARE MUSIC record stores singing it, posted inquiries on several websites....and nothing.

But one one other website, there is a guy who is also looking for the same song.  So I know I am not crazy.  It does exist! 

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/30/07 at 9:23 am

What is the country of origin for this song?

Written By: ladimystyk on 11/30/07 at 9:41 am

What is the country of origin for this song?

Well, I live in the U.S. and that it where I heard it.  It used to play on stations like WBLS and KISS-FM back when KISS was a more R&B oriented station.

Written By: snozberries on 12/01/07 at 3:11 pm

"  Thus far, I have..., gone to record stores singing it to anybody who looks knowledgeable about old school music, gone to RARE MUSIC record stores singing it, posted inquiries on several websites....and nothing.

But one one other website, there is a guy who is also looking for the same song.  So I know I am not crazy.  It does exist! 

now that's dedication! karma for your effort... since its a female artist from the 80s I will check some of my more obscure 80s cds maybe its on one of those bad compilation cds...the ones where  i only know one song .... maybe it found its way on one of those...

Written By: ladi mystyk on 12/01/07 at 8:20 pm

I would be so appreciative of that, you have no idea!  Thank you so much for trying to help!  

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/07 at 4:11 am

I would be so appreciative of that, you have no idea!  Thank you so much for trying to help!  
We have not finished looking yet.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/07 at 10:34 am

Can this song be orinally in a foreign langauge and this version of the song be a one off recording?

Written By: loetch on 12/18/07 at 4:27 am

Thanks for all this.  I have been looking for the title as well.  I had the Sergio Mendez cassette with that song in it and it struck a chord in me during a long train ride to Pisa.  Its in the same disc that had 'Never Gonna Let You Go'.  Its not as easy to locate a copy, especially in CD form. 

Written By: loetch on 12/18/07 at 4:47 am

The album was Sergio Mendes 1983.  It has a Brazil release and some of those sites sell it.  You may be able to get it cheaper if you search some Argentina sites.  Thanks for posting this what a nice way to end the night.

Written By: Gis on 12/18/07 at 10:18 am

Hi...this is Ladimystyk....That was a good try (Sergio Mendez), but this song was by a female artist who kinda sounded a lot like Patrice Rushin or someone in that vein. I am not sure if it was a group or a solo artist with a few background singers.   It was a mid-tempo song...I guess you could say it was a dance song.  I am sorry I did not include this info in my original post. 

And I promise that if someone out there can tell me what song this is, you will get the $20.  I have been looking for this song for ages, so $20 is but a small thing to pay for anyone who can help me.  My goal is to have this song on my iPod before I die.  (HAHHAHAHAHAHHA).  (No apologies necessary.  I would be suspicious too.)
If it is his song, which it sounds like from what other people have said, it might be worth researching him to see which female artist did a cover of it. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/18/07 at 10:25 am

The album was Sergio Mendes 1983.  It has a Brazil release and some of those sites sell it.  You may be able to get it cheaper if you search some Argentina sites.  Thanks for posting this what a nice way to end the night.
This album?

Sergio Mendes

With the tracks;

A1  Voo Doo (3:55)
A2  Never Gonna Let You Go (3:55)
A3  My Summer Love (4:00)
A4  Carnaval (3:50)
B1  Rainbow's End (4:03)
B2  Love Is Waiting (3:47)
B3  Dream Hunter (3:02)
B4  Life In The Movies (3:52)
B5  Si Senor (3:46)

Written By: loetch on 12/18/07 at 12:14 pm

:D That's the one. 

Do you have the liner notes?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/18/07 at 12:18 pm

:D That's the one. 

Do you have the liner notes?
No, only what is online, have you clicked on Sergio Mendes above?

Written By: loetch on 12/18/07 at 12:26 pm

Philiip, perhaps my search has not been as diligent as it could be.  I have found the album cover, the playlist but nothing else.

Some of the sites only provide the cover (with mostly bad reviews).  I've got a friend going to Brazil next week so their mission, should they chose to accept it, is to find the CD.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/19/07 at 9:23 am

Philiip, perhaps my search has not been as diligent as it could be.  I have found the album cover, the playlist but nothing else.

Some of the sites only provide the cover (with mostly bad reviews).  I've got a friend going to Brazil next week so their mission, should they chose to accept it, is to find the CD.
Probably your friend is the best bet.

Written By: ladimystyk on 12/29/07 at 12:09 pm

You guys  are the absolute BEST....and I owe "BILL" $20!!!!  Bill, please e-mail me at Ladimystyk@aol.com with your pay-pal info.

My aplogoes for not believeing  at first that you had found the right song for me, but  after doing MAD research, I discovered that you were correct.

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/29/07 at 12:17 pm

You guys  are the absolute BEST....and I owe "BILL" $20!!!!  Bill, please e-mail me at Ladimystyk@aol.com with your pay-pal info.

My aplogoes for not believeing  at first that you had found the right song for me, but  after doing MAD research, I discovered that you were correct.

That's so awesome!!!  I am very grateful to have the $20, but also very happy that you have found the song you've been searching for so long!!!  You just made my day!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: ladimystyk on 12/29/07 at 12:55 pm

Money sent!  Buy yourself something nice from your pal, Ladimystyk!

(And if anyone out there can actually e-mail the track to me, that would be FANTASTIC!!!)

Everyone have a happy New Year!!!

Written By: Mary Christmas on 12/29/07 at 1:35 pm

That's so awesome!!!  I am very grateful to have the $20, but also very happy that you have found the song you've been searching for so long!!!  You just made my day!  ;D  ;D  ;D
Make sure he pays up1

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/29/07 at 1:53 pm

Make sure he pays up1

I received the money right away!  What a happy day!  :)

Written By: snozberries on 12/30/07 at 4:24 pm

dang all those hours listening to bad 80s music wasted....ah well maybe I learned something someone else can use.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/07/08 at 2:10 pm

I received the money right away!  What a happy day!  :)
...and how happy did that day turn out to be?

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/07/08 at 2:38 pm

very, very happy

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/07/08 at 2:39 pm

very, very happy
Splendid!

Check for new replies or respond here...