inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: HBO in the 80s

Written By: Lindee on 11/29/07 at 4:55 pm

Does anyone here remember when you could get HBO only (without having cable). You had to have a special antenna for your roof. We had it from 1984-1986 until we got cable. That's when HBO started with their original series of shows like The Hitchhiker and First And Ten.

Subject: Re: HBO in the 80s

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/29/07 at 5:27 pm

OMG!!!!!!!  Finally somebody that agree with me.  Back in the 80s, depending on a certain neighborhood, you can get HBO without cable.  My grandmother and my mother lived in complex apartments, and I remember that special antenna that be on top of the roof.  They've been having HBO without cable since 1980.  It used to be on channel 2 back then.  Now, this was before I lived with my father.  I used to live with my mom at the time, and I remember watching movies that were released a year before.  Like, say Fatal Attraction was released in 1987, HBO would have the movie in 1988!!! It's kind of good in a way.  That way, you didn't feel like you are behind or something.  I remember when I was a little girl.  I used to watch Fraggle Rock a lot on HBO.  I remember watching a whole lot of movies back then.  It was good ones too.  I think that getting HBO without cable stopped in the early 90s.  I remember because I think that's when it became illegal, and everybody had to get cable now.  Everybody had to get a cable box.  At the time some people lived in impoverished neighborhoods, and they coudn't afford cable, so they would get HBO without cable.

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/29/07 at 8:02 pm

Yes!  There was also WHT (Wometco Home Theater), if you had the right antenna.

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/30/07 at 12:56 pm

Yeah it was WHT !!! We had it..

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/30/07 at 6:16 pm

I do not remember the antenna, but I do remember watching HBO in the '80s on our cable box. It was one of the "specialty channels" we got.

Written By: Lindee on 12/01/07 at 2:37 pm

They had HBO in the 80s?

Yes they did.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/01/07 at 3:12 pm

They had HBO in the 80s?

Actually, HBO started in 1972.

Cat

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/03/07 at 6:55 pm

I was only 8 when we first got HBO. I grew up on Fraggle Rock and Braingames !
We don't subscribe anymore, so I have to hit Hollywood Video a lot more for the latest movies. I think my Dad misses the boxing.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Timm on 12/04/07 at 11:05 am

Remember the intro to the Feature movies with the miniture city and stuff?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdI90Rtzu1s

Check for new replies or respond here...