inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: what happened to all the members

Written By: johnny5alive on 12/12/07 at 9:24 pm

what happened to most of the members of this message board?  i went back to some of the threads from last year and most of them havent posted for long periods, there used to be 20 or 30 replies to posts every day!!!    i guess they just  got bored?  im glad i found thei board to  share my input and great times i had in the 80's!

Subject: Re: what happened to all the members

Written By: Class of 84 on 12/14/07 at 9:53 pm

Maybe it goes in cycles, people get busy and have to cut something out, then regain the time and get back on board, like me. :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/15/07 at 7:20 am

People come and people go, life just goes on.

Written By: johnny5alive on 12/15/07 at 10:07 am

i was just curious why they seem to drop off after a while.

Written By: Marian on 12/15/07 at 4:47 pm

I like the 50s better,musically speaking.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/15/07 at 4:47 pm

I like the 50s better,musically speaking.
Long time passing?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/15/07 at 8:23 pm

People also changed their names/handles alot so what they used to post under, now they post under different names.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/15/07 at 11:15 pm

Nothing happened to my member!
:-\\

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/16/07 at 6:48 am

Nothing happened to my member!
:-\\

Glad (for you) to hear that it did not drop off.  :o  ;D

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/17/07 at 3:42 pm

80's nostalgia is, sadly, fading.  :\'( That's your answer.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/17/07 at 9:47 pm

what happened to most of the members of this message board?  i went back to some of the threads from last year and most of them havent posted for long periods, there used to be 20 or 30 replies to posts every day!!!    i guess they just  got bored?  im glad i found thei board to  share my input and great times i had in the 80's!

My brand-new avatar ate them all.  :o :o :o

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/17/07 at 9:52 pm

Hold me closer, Tony Danza!  Al-B's new avatar scares the crap outta me.  :o  ;D

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/18/07 at 3:53 am

Into the '80s?
Wanna chat and share '80s memories?

You've come to the right member! (Not like Maxwell's member....um..... 8-P)
I consider myself one of the last true "living relics" of the 1980s.
Basically, when Whitney Houston made it big, I quit listening the radio on a regular basis.
Britney Spears finished me on music videos, just about.

-However, I do find I like Stakka Bo, and a few other "modern" bands.
For the most part, I am stuck in the '80s!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/23/07 at 12:18 am

Glad (for you) to hear that it did not drop off.   :o  ;D

Nothing bad happened to it...nothing good happened to it either.
:(

I'm not "nostalgiac" for the '80s; it's just that after the '80s my interest in current entertainment/fashion trends dropped precipitously and never resurfaced.

My interests are now esoteric and obscure so it's difficult to find people to discuss them with. 

I hear people at work, some considerably older than I, go on about the latest breakout pop music stars and the hot new TV shows and I just draw a blank.  I'm clueless. 

My brother-in-law said I was a music snob, which I resented.  See, I saw something happen to a lot of Baby Boomers.  After their scene was over in the late '70s, they got stuck in an endless circuit of Stones, Dead, Dylan, Hendrix, Joplin, etc.  So when my scene ended in 1990 I knew I didn't want to just listen to Depeche Mode, New Order, the Cure, and the Smiths for the rest of my life, so I agressively pursued new interests, which ultimately progressed to classical/experimental musics.

Today's cinema doesn't interest me, so I rent classics, indie films, and documentaries from Netflix. 

I thought about getting acquainted with current popular entertainment for the same reason I've contemplated learning more about sports: To be able to converse with folks more easily.  But alas, it's too uninspiring. 
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_study.gif 

Written By: gumbypiz on 12/23/07 at 3:17 pm

Nothing bad happened to it...nothing good happened to it either.
:(

I'm not "nostalgiac" for the '80s; it's just that after the '80s my interest in current entertainment/fashion trends dropped precipitously and never resurfaced.

My interests are now esoteric and obscure so it's difficult to find people to discuss them with. 

I hear people at work, some considerably older than I, go on about the latest breakout pop music stars and the hot new TV shows and I just draw a blank.  I'm clueless. 

My brother-in-law said I was a music snob, which I resented.  See, I saw something happen to a lot of Baby Boomers.  After their scene was over in the late '70s, they got stuck in an endless circuit of Stones, Dead, Dylan, Hendrix, Joplin, etc.  So when my scene ended in 1990 I knew I didn't want to just listen to Depeche Mode, New Order, the Cure, and the Smiths for the rest of my life, so I agressively pursued new interests, which ultimately progressed to classical/experimental musics.

Today's cinema doesn't interest me, so I rent classics, indie films, and documentaries from Netflix. 

I thought about getting acquainted with current popular entertainment for the same reason I've contemplated learning more about sports: To be able to converse with folks more easily.  But alas, it's too uninspiring. 
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_study.gif 

Wow, not exactly where I'm coming from but from the same ballpark.

That was the best description of my current state in todays pop culture world, having all the capabilities to be connected to it, but not having any reason or desire to be. Nowadays I have to look outside my past interests in the 80's to outside indie, underground, unknown and unpopular interests for stimulation, and I don't like to spend all my time trudging through nostalgia.  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...