inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: '80s songs that everyone likes?

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/24/07 at 2:49 am

Doesn't it seem like there's some songs where anyone kinda tends to like it, regardless of which kind of music you favor? This could be either for back then, or today too. Like I've met tons of people who dig "The Boys of Summer", alot of Michael Jackson, U2 and Police hits, or "Jump" from Van Halen.

Even people who don't really like Eighties music seem to like those.

Subject: Re: '80s songs that everyone likes?

Written By: whistledog on 12/24/07 at 3:13 am

I find that not always though.  Like I know lots of people who love the song 'Kiss' by Prince, a song which I loathe

Written By: snozberries on 12/24/07 at 11:05 am

How about Come On Eileen.... I don't know many people who dislike that song.

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/24/07 at 7:20 pm

Most people I've met love the songs from Michael Jackson's "Thriller" album and The Police's "Every Breath You Take".

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 12/24/07 at 7:39 pm

I am going to say that almost everyone likes Tainted Love.

Written By: snozberries on 12/24/07 at 7:41 pm

sorry not me

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/24/07 at 8:35 pm

Yeah, I agree with the other choices too. I guess when I said "everyone", I sorta meant it lightly. :)

You know how some types of music are usually more tied to the fans of that style?

For example, someone who liked the headbanger metal (for then) like Ozzy Osbourne or Judas Priest probably didn't much care for what was on the radio. And the early teenybopper Madonna fans probably felt the same, and tended to favor upbeat pop. Adult contemporary fans might've been turned off by anything too trendy.

Alot of new wavers seemed to be in their own group too. Even if the more popular songs were casually liked by tons of people, the really hardcore fans who dressed in that style were probably alot of college rockers or Anthony Michael Hall types.

Here's the songs I could potentially see anyone being able to like (young or older, regardless of what their favorite music was):

any of Michael Jackson's Thriller singles
Hold Me Now - Thompson Twins
Africa - Toto
Time After Time - Cyndi Lauper
Everybody Wants to Rule the World - Tears For Fears
Living on a Prayer - Bon Jovi
Boys of Summer - Don Henley
1999 - Prince
Missing You - John Waite
All Night Long - Lionel Richie
any Culture Club
Every Breath You Take - The Police
Drive - The Cars
Everlasting Love - Howard Jones
You Can Call Me Al - Paul Simon
Cruel Summer - Bananarama
When the Going Gets Tough - Billy Ocean
Take Me Home Tonight - Eddie Money
Everytime You Go Away - Paul Young
Jump - Van Halen

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/24/07 at 9:50 pm

sorry girl..I detest that song.

hate that one too. :D

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/24/07 at 9:56 pm

You've obviously never known anyone named Eileen.  Man, the one-liners she had to put up with :)

Written By: snozberries on 12/24/07 at 11:48 pm

You've obviously never known anyone named Eileen.  Man, the one-liners she had to put up with :)

you're right I know no one named Eileen... but being named Tamarra I bet my one liners beat yours...  ;)

Written By: Midas on 12/26/07 at 10:38 am

sorry girl..I detest that song.

Now you know two, as I don't like that song neither.  8-P

You know how some types of music are usually more tied to the fans of that style?

For example, someone who liked the headbanger metal (for then) like Ozzy Osbourne or Judas Priest probably didn't much care for what was on the radio. And the early teenybopper Madonna fans probably felt the same, and tended to favor upbeat pop. Adult contemporary fans might've been turned off by anything too trendy.

Alot of new wavers seemed to be in their own group too. Even if the more popular songs were casually liked by tons of people, the really hardcore fans who dressed in that style were probably alot of college rockers or Anthony Michael Hall types.

I'll disagree with you.  I listened to a size-able spectrum of 80's music in the 80's and still today.  From Top 40 Pop to New Wave to Metal & Hard Rock & beyond...I'm probably the exception in this case.

Here's the songs I could potentially see anyone being able to like (young or older, regardless of what their favorite music was):

Africa - Toto
1999 - Prince
Missing You - John Waite
any Culture Club
Drive - The Cars
Jump - Van Halen

I'm not terribly fond of about half of the songs listed.  There may be potential for everyone to like these songs, but not everyone is going to like the same thing.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/27/07 at 6:14 pm

It's pretty sickening for me. I haven't heard a song form the 80s I dislike yet.

I love Michael Jackson, Prince, Madonna (I call them the Musical Trinity) Rockwell, Klymaxx, Tiffany, Debbie Gibson, New Kids on the Block, Run-DMC. Everybody.  ;)

It's all good!

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/27/07 at 7:46 pm

It's pretty sickening for me. I haven't heard a song form the 80s I dislike yet.

I love Michael Jackson, Prince, Madonna (I call them the Musical Trinity) Rockwell, Klymaxx, Tiffany, Debbie Gibson, New Kids on the Block, Run-DMC. Everybody.  ;)

It's all good!

Me either, I like almost everything. :) Although it's funny because the artists you listed are probably the type of '80s music I don't listen to as much, lol. ;) I think you like the dance stuff that came later on, like 1986 to '90. Don't get me wrong, there's alot of individual songs by all of them that I really like, but I guess I'm more into the medium tempo stuff.

Basically though I love variety, and 1980s music had so much of it. I think it's really cool to be able to go from a Huey Lewis song, to Cyndi Lauper, to Chicago, to Van Halen and Bon Jovi, to Paula to "The Boys of Summer", to "Take on Me", to The Police and tons more.

I think all those styles compliment each other, while being a little different at the same time.

Subject: Just POP or R&B - Dance too?

Written By: Cin on 12/28/07 at 6:41 pm

Caribbean  Queen , Billy Ocean
You Dropped A Bomb On Me, The Gap Band
White Horse, The Gap Band
Sexual Healing, Marvin Gaye

....just my 2cents!

Written By: johnny5alive on 12/28/07 at 9:41 pm

Africa - Toto
1999 - Prince
Missing You - John Waite
any Culture Club
Drive - The Cars
Jump - Van Halen...  with the exception of van halen and michael jackson i have all of those songs!

Written By: Davester on 12/29/07 at 12:35 am

Love Come On Eileen..!

A strange thing to hear that song being played at a huge nightclub when I was in Spain, and everybody in the place hit the dancefloor..!

Thing is, I wouldn't even know how to begin to dance to that song...

Written By: K.M. Richards on 01/06/08 at 8:06 pm

As a radio programmer, here is the question I would be asking if you all were in a focus group:

Which of the songs mentioned -- if any -- do you dislike intensely enough to change the station if it started to play on the radio?

Written By: Monkey on 01/06/08 at 10:32 pm

I find that not always though.  Like I know lots of people who love the song 'Kiss' by Prince, a song which I loathe

I've never cared much for Prince.

It seems pretty much everyone likes "Shout" by Tears for Fears.

Written By: Nostalgic on 01/07/08 at 1:24 am

Together in Electric Dreams - Giorgio Moroder with Phillip Oakey. EVERYONE loves that song.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/07/08 at 2:42 pm

I like most '80s songs, but some that I still have a hard time liking are usually Huey Lewis & the News (I don't HATE them, but I guess their songs remind me of negative things for one reason or another, and I just can't get myself to like their stuff because of those associated feelings), also, I only like a few of U2's songs (With or Without You, that other famous song of theirs and "One"). I like a few of Prince's songs, but again, not his biggest fan. Songs that I like from the '80s are songs that some people seem to not express a lot of love for, so I don't know where I stand, lol  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/07/08 at 7:39 pm

Love Come On Eileen..!

A strange thing to hear that song being played at a huge nightclub when I was in Spain, and everybody in the place hit the dancefloor..!

Thing is, I wouldn't even know how to begin to dance to that song...

first you need overalls, no shirt then you kick off your shoes and do an Irish jig or something like that?  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 01/07/08 at 7:44 pm

Together in Electric Dreams - Giorgio Moroder with Phillip Oakey. EVERYONE loves that song.

I love that song, but I don't know about everyone.  Strangely, that song was not popular in North America at all :(

Written By: snozberries on 01/07/08 at 7:49 pm

Tainted Love Phil Collins
Africa - Toto
1999 - Prince
Missing You - John Waite
any Culture Club
Drive - The Cars
Jump - Van Halen
Caribbean  Queen , Billy Ocean
You Dropped A Bomb On Me, The Gap Band
White Horse, The Gap Band
Sexual Healing, Marvin Gaye

As a radio programmer, here is the question I would be asking if you all were in a focus group:

Which of the songs mentioned -- if any -- do you dislike intensely enough to change the station if it started to play on the radio?

I pulled out most of the songs listed in the thread...i didn't put Come Eileen on the list because I mentioned it and I like it... so of the songs above the ones that would cause me to change stations....
White Horse by the Gap Band
Caribbean Queen Billy Ocean
Drive the Cars
Tainted Love by Phil Collins
All Night Long Lionel Ritchie

Written By: snozberries on 01/07/08 at 7:50 pm

I love that song, but I don't know about everyone.  Strangely, that song was not popular in North America at all :(

I don't think I've ever heard it... shocking I KNOW!!!

Written By: whistledog on 01/07/08 at 7:53 pm

I don't think I've ever heard it... shocking I KNOW!!!

Philip Oakey is lead singer for The Human League, so the song appears on the 1995 'Greatest Hits' album by The Human League and thus is often mistaken as a Human League song.  It's the title track from the 1984 movie 'Electric Dreams' starring Virginia Madsen

Written By: snozberries on 01/07/08 at 7:57 pm

Philip Oakey is lead singer for The Human League, so the song appears on the 1995 'Greatest Hits' album by The Human League and thus is often mistaken as a Human League song.  It's the title track from the 1984 movie 'Electric Dreams' starring Virginia Madsen

I saw the movie once, don't recall the song tho.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/07/08 at 10:56 pm

I saw the movie once, don't recall the song tho.

The movie was a fun bit of early-80s fluff (imagine "Tron" crossed with the stereotypical romantic comedies of the day), but the soundtrack was highly underrated.

If you're after the song we're talking about, you're gonna want the Giorgio Moroder track "Together in Electric Dreams", as opposed to P.P. Arnold's "Electric Dreams".

I'm gonna throw in props for the Jeff Lynne track "Video" (change "VTR" to "any-2-syllable-adjective car", and think "GPS and XM Radio", and the song means the same thing 24 years and uncountable generations of technology later), Heaven 17's "Chase Runner" (which could easily have been background music in any side-scrolling arcade game from the 90s), and Moroder's "The Duel" (basically "dueling banjos" between two computers, but they're using classical music instead of bluegrass, and synthesizers instead of banjos) as essential listening.

Written By: whistledog on 01/08/08 at 12:46 am

I'm gonna throw in props for the Jeff Lynne track "Video"

That one was a minor hit in the US and UK.  Good tune! 8)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/08/08 at 12:58 am

It's all good!
"The Men All Pause" I love that song, and I almost hyperventilated duing the heavy breathing part while singing along as I was driving. I was trying to make my wife laugh and then I got light headed and almost passed out  :o 

...back to 80's songs everyone likes:  We Got The Beat & Our Lips Are Sealed and almost anything by The Go Gos
most Duran Duran, especially Hungry Like The Wolf
Shout by Tears For Fears
Dancing With Myself by Billy Idol
Love Lift Us Up by Jocker & Jennifer Warnes
the Rocky Themes
Total Eclipse Of The Heart - Bonnie Tyler  (is it a compliment if a song is rearranged into a dance mix)??

Written By: Nostalgic on 01/08/08 at 1:25 am

Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen
Into The Night - Benny Mardones
Let's Dance - David Bowie
Dancing In The Dark - Bruce Springsteen
What's Love Got To Do With It? - Tina Turner
Careless Whisper - George Michael/Wham!

Written By: snozberries on 01/08/08 at 1:28 am

Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen
Into The Night - Benny Mardones
Let's Dance - David Bowie
Dancing In The Dark - Bruce Springsteen
What's Love Got To Do With It? - Tina Turner
Careless Whisper - George Michael/Wham!

I LOVE Into the Night!

Written By: K.M. Richards on 01/08/08 at 10:51 pm

I didn't even notice the errors in previous posts until I got the only reply to my question ...

"White Horse" was not by the Gap Band, it was by the Danish duo of Tim Stahl & John Guldberg, better known as Laid Back.  This was their only U.S. hit, although they released several albums and singles in Europe.

"Tainted Love" was by Soft Cell, the British group headed by singer Marc Almond.  Several of their songs only got substantial airplay outside of the U.K. on Modern Rock/New Wave stations such as KROQ and WLIR (e.g., "Sex Dwarf" and "What!"), but "Tainted Love" was their only U.S. pop hit (and a #1 hit, at that).

Anyone else want to weigh in on what songs you dislike enough to want to change stations when they come on?

Written By: whistledog on 01/08/08 at 11:19 pm

'China in Your Hand' by T'Pau.  It was their only British #1.  It failed to chart in the USA, so I dunno if everyone will like it, but i know it's a favourite in the UK, Canada and Australia (I've been to many messageboardes so I've seen praiase for it)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/08/08 at 11:44 pm

a few songs by Men At Work

Overkill
Be Good Johnny
Who Can It Be Now?    this girl I work sings that chorus everytime her phone rings  :)

Written By: whistledog on 01/08/08 at 11:48 pm

a few songs by Men At Work

Overkill
Be Good Johnny
Who Can It Be Now?     this girl I work sings that chorus everytime her phone rings  :)

You can count me out on 'Be Good Johnny'.  I can listen to it, but I still can't stand it ;D

I like Overkill and Who Can it Be Now.  I have 45s of both 8)

Written By: snozberries on 01/08/08 at 11:50 pm

I didn't even notice the errors in previous posts until I got the only reply to my question ...

"White Horse" was not by the Gap Band, it was by the Danish duo of Tim Stahl & John Guldberg, better known as Laid Back.  This was their only U.S. hit, although they released several albums and singles in Europe.

"Tainted Love" was by Soft Cell, the British group headed by singer Marc Almond.  Several of their songs only got substantial airplay outside of the U.K. on Modern Rock/New Wave stations such as KROQ and WLIR (e.g., "Sex Dwarf" and "What!"), but "Tainted Love" was their only U.S. pop hit (and a #1 hit, at that).

Anyone else want to weigh in on what songs you dislike enough to want to change stations when they come on?

Well I don't know music... I know Phil Collins remaid some song in the 60s song in the 80s that I hate as much as I hate Tainted Love so I gave him credit for that one too... The Gap Band/White Horse wasn't my error tho.... I lifted that one from some other post.

I will turn off the radio everytime Tiffany I Saw Him Standing There comes on.... and Madonna Holiday & Borderline. I like Madonna but not these songs.

Written By: whistledog on 01/08/08 at 11:51 pm

I know Phil Collins remaid some song in the 60s song in the 80s that I hate

Which one:  'You Can't Hurry Love' or 'A Groovy Kind of Love' ?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/09/08 at 2:15 am

You can count me out on 'Be Good Johnny'.  I can listen to it, but I still can't stand it ;D

I like Overkill and Who Can it Be Now.  I have 45s of both 8)
I'm gonna have to agree with you on that one Jason. it does get annoying  :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/09/08 at 4:04 am

Everybody loves ELO!

Written By: gibbo on 01/09/08 at 4:54 am

I Just Called To Say I Love You by Stevie Wonder got overplayed so much I won't listen to it ever again. Any radio station that plays it loses me immediately!!

but on the truly sad side I think Come On Eileen is cool.......

Written By: Timm on 01/09/08 at 6:47 am

I find myself listening to the 80's pop channel on Sirius radio once in a while, not necessarily because I liked the songs, and many I didn't care for in the 80's but if they were big enough hits to where you couldn't avoid them, they will still remind me of a time or place or event. They make great background music for my reminiscing. :)

Written By: snozberries on 01/09/08 at 1:45 pm

I Just Called To Say I Love You by Stevie Wonder got overplayed so much I won't listen to it ever again. Any radio station that plays it loses me immediately!!

but on the truly sad side I think Come On Eileen is cool.......

I also hate all the Lionel Ritchie songs... Hellp and Dancing on the Ceiling. I wish he'd never left the Commodores.

I know its the 70s but YMCA bugs me too... it is totally overplayed by djs. then everyone has to do that stupid YMCA thing... I like to throw people off I either do it with absolutely no conviction which looks really funny if you keep a bored expression on your face as well....then sometimes I will spell ACMY it really messes people up  ;D

Written By: Nostalgic on 01/09/08 at 10:14 pm

^ I like Endless Love, Truly and All Night Long. The rest of his songs were ordinary.

Has Come On Eileen been mentioned?

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/09/08 at 11:09 pm

I also hate all the Lionel Ritchie songs... Hellp and Dancing on the Ceiling. I wish he'd never left the Commodores.

I know its the 70s but YMCA bugs me too... it is totally overplayed by djs. then everyone has to do that stupid YMCA thing... I like to throw people off I either do it with absolutely no conviction which looks really funny if you keep a bored expression on your face as well....then sometimes I will spell ACMY it really messes people up  ;D

Here's another funny disagreement I know we're gonna have. ;D

I totally love Lionel's songs. Some of the first memories I have are associated with listening to his music circa 1984/'85. We had a copy of that Can't Slow Down tape that my parents listened to in the car and the house quite a bit. I think I first heard "Penny Lover" on the way to preschool one morning.

But memories aside, even if it weren't for that, I know I'd like him regardless. It's that kind of catchy, midtempo '80s pop that I've always loved. It's that kind of music that just makes you feel good, even if it is cheesy, lol. He was technically R&B, but it was very sanitized and mainstream. Something like "All Night Long" fit in more with Duran Duran and Huey Lewis than it did with "Brick House".

Written By: whistledog on 01/10/08 at 12:39 am

Everybody loves ELO!

There are some people out there who don't, but listening to songs like 'Calling America', 'Hold on Tight' and 'Rock N Roll is King' makes you wonder how anyone could not like them

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/10/08 at 1:21 pm

I think some songs that I actually hated in the '80s, but eventually grew to love were songs that I associated as "Dentist" Songs. These were the songs that I heard over and over as either when I was getting teeth drilled out or cleanings, or just wetting my pants in the waiting room because I hated the dentist so much.

Such songs were:

"Lady in Red"
"Sailing" or pretty much any Christopher Cross song.
Any song by Huey Lewis
Any song by Journey

I actually like these songs now, and am slowly getting to like Huey Lewis again without thinking of a drill in my mouth.

Written By: tv on 01/10/08 at 2:09 pm

I like "Dancing On The Ceiling": a song like that just makes you feel good. I can understand if you don;t like "Hello" some people hate it some people like that song.

Written By: Midas on 01/10/08 at 2:11 pm

I also hate all the Lionel Ritchie songs...

Lionel Richie is what happens to your desktop pic here at work if you don't lock your computer when you're away from your desk  :D

Written By: tv on 01/10/08 at 2:13 pm

I pulled out most of the songs listed in the thread...i didn't put Come Eileen on the list because I mentioned it and I like it... so of the songs above the ones that would cause me to change stations....
Caribbean Queen Billy Ocean
Drive the Cars
All Night Long Lionel Ritchie

I like "Carribean Queen" , and Tainted Love.

Written By: tv on 01/10/08 at 2:14 pm

That song just never appealed to me.

Written By: tv on 01/10/08 at 2:18 pm

Yeah, I agree with the other choices too. I guess when I said "everyone", I sorta meant it lightly. :)

Africa - Toto
1999 - Prince
Missing You - John Waite
any Culture Club
Drive - The Cars
Jump - Van Halen
I don't like "Africa" by Toto. I gotta be in the mood for "Jump" by Van Halen. I really like "Time(Clock Of The Heart)" by Cluture Club.

Written By: tv on 01/10/08 at 2:21 pm

"The Men All Pause" I love that song, and I almost hyperventilated duing the heavy breathing part while singing along as I was driving. I was trying to make my wife laugh and then I got light headed and almost passed out  :o 

...back to 80's songs everyone likes:  We Got The Beat & Our Lips Are Sealed and almost anything by The Go Gos
most Duran Duran, especially Hungry Like The Wolf
Shout by Tears For Fears
Dancing With Myself by Billy Idol
Love Lift Us Up by Jocker & Jennifer Warnes
the Rocky Themes
Total Eclipse Of The Heart - Bonnie Tyler   (is it a compliment if a song is rearranged into a dance mix)??
That's "Joe Cocker" not "Jocker".

Written By: karen on 01/10/08 at 2:29 pm

I don't like "Africa" by Toto. I gotta be in the mood for "Jump" by Van Halen. I really like "Time(Clock Of The Heart)" by Cluture Club.

And that's Culture Club  ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/11/08 at 6:32 am

I think some songs that I actually hated in the '80s, but eventually grew to love were songs that I associated as "Dentist" Songs. These were the songs that I heard over and over as either when I was getting teeth drilled out or cleanings, or just wetting my pants in the waiting room because I hated the dentist so much.

Such songs were:

"Lady in Red"
"Sailing" or pretty much any Christopher Cross song.
Any song by Huey Lewis
Any song by Journey

I actually like these songs now, and am slowly getting to like Huey Lewis again without thinking of a drill in my mouth.

Hmmm, even though Journey has alot of harder songs, I can see that. "Faithfully", "Open Arms" and maybe "Who's Crying Now" are bordering a bit on that dull adult contemporary sound, even back then they probably were.

Sorry, but I totally can't see that with Huey though (I guess that's a rare thing we disagree on, lol). I always liked him pretty far back in my memory. His music seemed so fun, positive and upbeat to me (he's even a Bay Area native like you and I are). ;)

Songs like "Heart and Soul" and "The Power of Love" rock pretty hard...not in a heavy metal way, but like arena rock/classic rock. Were you thinking more of his lighter material, ike "Doing it All For My Baby"?

I think alot of that medium level music is considered adult contemporary by today's standards, but was it back then too? I would think it was just typical pop or rock.

Written By: snozberries on 01/11/08 at 11:25 am

Here's another funny disagreement I know we're gonna have. ;D

It's our differences that make us interesting  ;)

Despite our differences you have pretty good taste in music (most of it anyway)

You are more into than I am - you get into it and analyze it. I just listen so if the song doesn't get me right up front then I usually never like it. 

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/11/08 at 1:10 pm

Hmmm, even though Journey has alot of harder songs, I can see that. "Faithfully", "Open Arms" and maybe "Who's Crying Now" are bordering a bit on that dull adult contemporary sound, even back then they probably were.

Sorry, but I totally can't see that with Huey though (I guess that's a rare thing we disagree on, lol). I always liked him pretty far back in my memory. His music seemed so fun, positive and upbeat to me (he's even a Bay Area native like you and I are). ;)

Songs like "Heart and Soul" and "The Power of Love" rock pretty hard...not in a heavy metal way, but like arena rock/classic rock. Were you thinking more of his lighter material, ike "Doing it All For My Baby"?

I think alot of that medium level music is considered adult contemporary by today's standards, but was it back then too? I would think it was just typical pop or rock.

Yes, the stations back in the '80s often played a lot of Journey/Steve Perry songs, despite them being in the same decade. I didn't like them much then because of my hate for the dentist, lol, now I have a Greatest Hits of Journey in my CD collection. Sometimes it just takes time for some music to grow on you.

It's strange - I do like Huey Lewis and the News, but when I hear their songs on the radio, I will usually change them. I guess I always sort of viewed their music as "passive" rock. Like it's light and airy, but maybe I didn't find the melodies not complex enough for my taste. I know, I guess I'm a strange duck. But, I've never detested them. It's probably how I feel about groups like Hootie and the Blowfish or the Goo Goo Dolls. I don't "mind" their stuff, but their music doesn't strike a certain chord with me that other artists do. Yet, when I do hear "The Power of Love" I get major "Back to the Future" flashbacks, which do bring back fun memories....  :)

I do remember the radio stations playing a lot of mid-tempo to pop-rock music, much like KOIT's 96.5 format is today (minus hits from today). I think back in the '80s it was obviously more of a mix of '70s and '80s music, whereas now it's more of a mix of '70s, 80's, '90s and some of today's soft rock.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/12/08 at 6:59 pm

Yes, the stations back in the '80s often played a lot of Journey/Steve Perry songs, despite them being in the same decade. I didn't like them much then because of my hate for the dentist, lol, now I have a Greatest Hits of Journey in my CD collection. Sometimes it just takes time for some music to grow on you.

It's strange - I do like Huey Lewis and the News, but when I hear their songs on the radio, I will usually change them. I guess I always sort of viewed their music as "passive" rock. Like it's light and airy, but maybe I didn't find the melodies not complex enough for my taste. I know, I guess I'm a strange duck. But, I've never detested them. It's probably how I feel about groups like Hootie and the Blowfish or the Goo Goo Dolls. I don't "mind" their stuff, but their music doesn't strike a certain chord with me that other artists do. Yet, when I do hear "The Power of Love" I get major "Back to the Future" flashbacks, which do bring back fun memories....  :)

I do remember the radio stations playing a lot of mid-tempo to pop-rock music, much like KOIT's 96.5 format is today (minus hits from today). I think back in the '80s it was obviously more of a mix of '70s and '80s music, whereas now it's more of a mix of '70s, 80's, '90s and some of today's soft rock.

Aww no, you're not strange at all. :) I totally get where you're coming from on just about everything. Then again, I'm pretty square myself (no pun intended in relation to Huey ;D ), so I understand even more.

Oh totally, I agree the way a soft rock station like KOIT is today is pretty much equivalent to general hits station in the '80s and really the '90s too.

Wow, that's really cool that KOIT was pretty much the same back then, I've wondered about that before, about Lite FM stations, like did they play true elevator music in the '80s or just pretty much the same music as today, relative to what was already out. You know, sometimes I have to remind myself we're in the same general area, which makes it even cooler to talk with you on this type of thing, lol. :) I didn't move to San Jose until April 1996, and I lived in Sacramento before this. One of my favorite stations up there was KGBY 92.5, Today's Hits, Yesterday's Favorites (since you're more in the North Bay, you might even be able to pick it up!) and I'd say in the early-mid '90s they were similar to the '00s KOIT.

To use a reverse scenario, even when I first moved down here, Hits stations like 101.3 and Mix 106.5 were slightly different than they are now. More '80s variety, and a higher percentage of "softer" songs than they would play now, like "Everytime You Go Away".

I get what you mean about Huey, 'cause as much as I like him (especially certain songs), I wouldn't want to ONLY listen to stuff like that. I love mixing everything up too. It is very safe, mainstream rock and I can recall alot of older people listening to people like him, or Hall and Oates in the '80s (like Baby Boomer age and probably even a little older).

Yeah, Goo Goo Dolls and Hootie would drive me crazy to listen to for more than one song at a time. ;D

Written By: Midas on 01/16/08 at 10:19 am

Goo Goo Dolls and Hootie would drive me crazy to listen to for more than one song at a time. ;D

Aww, Hootie's not that bad.  I saw them in a club in SC before they got big.  Goo Goo Dolls are alright.

Not everybody is going to like the same thing.  I've noticed a few posts where people have mentioned "Come On Eileen" by Dexys Midnight Runners.  I'm not a big fan of that song at all.  In fact, I've gone to great lengths to NOT play that song when I DJ'ed an 80's night from 1997-2001 and you will rarely hear it on my show.  I've given away the compilation CD that contains the track so whoever wanted to hear it could go play it in their car, I've broken CDs in front of clubgoers that have contained that song, I've even run a scam with my ex-wife to tip me lots of money not to play it when somebody requested it.  I managed to get away with playing it once every six months during my residency at Five-O CafĂ© and maybe three times in the past 5 years on my show.  :D

That being said, here are some of the tracks I play on my mixshow that get positive response from my core audience:

"I Didn't Mean To Turn You On" - Robert Palmer
"You Spin Me 'Round (Like A Record)" - Dead Or Alive
"Livin' On A Prayer" and "You Give Love A Bad Name" - Bon Jovi
"You Shook Me All Night Long" - AC/DC
"That's The Way Love Is" - Ten City
"It's A Sin" - Pet Shop Boys
"Relax" - Frankie Goes To Hollywood

And pretty much anything by Def Leppard, "Weird Al" Yankovic, Huey Lewis & The News and Prince.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 01/17/08 at 6:06 pm

How about Georgia Satellites Keep Your Hands to Yourself??? I love that song.  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/18/08 at 10:33 pm

^ I always thought it was kind of a novelty song, like a hard rock/arena rock variation of backwoods country. ;D I do remember seeing the video on VH1 a couple times in the early '90s and I admit it's a catchy song, even if kinda silly.

P.S. I do like Hootie, "Let Her Cry" is a classic...but I'm just saying I wouldn't want to listen to any more than one song at a time.

Written By: Rudolfthered on 01/19/08 at 2:50 pm

"Point of No Return" or "I Can't Wait"

by Nu Shooz

Written By: snozberries on 01/19/08 at 5:40 pm

"Point of No Return" or "I Can't Wait"

by Nu Shooz

wait Nu Shooz did a song called "Point of No Return" too?

So did the Cover Girls and Sweet Sensation

Written By: loki 13 on 01/19/08 at 8:09 pm

I know it's just me but: with the exception of "Come On Eileen" and "Keep Your Hands To Yourself,"
I despise every song mentioned. I will turn the station when I hear ELO and I'm tempted to heave
the radio when I hear John Mellancamp.  :P

Written By: tv on 01/19/08 at 8:10 pm

and so did "Expose" I believe.

Written By: Rudolfthered on 01/20/08 at 2:54 pm

Track 6 on Poolside.

That song is why I picked up the CD. Then I heard "I Can't Wait" and realized that song was Nu Shooz also.

I am a huge Freestyle fan. The other "PONR" that I know of is by The Cover Girls.

Written By: whistledog on 01/20/08 at 11:50 pm

'Point of No Return' by Nu Shooz was the song that made them not one hit wonders with 'I Cant Wait' :)

Written By: Atari on 02/12/08 at 12:20 am

A lot of kids are learning some of these songs because of Guitar Hero. Last night, one of my employees was singing Message In A Bottle, and he's 16! I asked him how he knew that song, and he told me it was from Guitar Hero.

Now, if they had Synth Hero, or New Wave Hero, or Pop Hero...  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 02/12/08 at 12:02 pm

One I find that is hard for anyone to hate is 'Sad Songs (Say So Much)' by Elton John

A lot of kids are learning some of these songs because of Guitar Hero. Last night, one of my employees was singing Message In A Bottle, and he's 16! I asked him how he knew that song, and he told me it was from Guitar Hero.

Now, if they had Synth Hero, or New Wave Hero, or Pop Hero...  ;D

There's another PS game called 'Grand Theft Auto: Vice City' that has a total 80s soundtrack, that helped introduce a new generation to 80s music 8)

Written By: johnny5alive on 02/12/08 at 8:33 pm

'Point of No Return' by Nu Shooz was the song that made them not one hit wonders with 'I Cant Wait' :)
.................................................................................    all i can say is i won tickets from a local radio station here, in their home town to see them during their next album tour the "i told you  so tour" in 1988!  a great show and free just made it better! lol!

Written By: snozberries on 02/16/08 at 2:59 pm

One I find that is hard for anyone to hate is 'Sad Songs (Say So Much)' by Elton John

There's another PS game called 'Grand Theft Auto: Vice City' that has a total 80s soundtrack, that helped introduce a new generation to 80s music 8)

I'm playing that right now and always get way more into the music than the missions.... sometimes I just sit in a vehicle because I like the song that's playing....hmmmm I do that in the real world too.

Check for new replies or respond here...