inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The '80s lose another piece of youth today.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/01/08 at 1:45 pm

It occured to me that every single person born in the decade are no longer minors, as of today. I know it's just a number, but doesn't that seem like it puts even more of a wedge between now and then...making it seem even further away? For instance, saying you were "born in the Eighties" had such a kidlike, young ring to it for so long, but now it's like how could it possibly? Not when even 1989ers are legal adults probably out of high school, or about to graduate this year at latest.

Like I said, because of the few people who still had minor status, it kept the '80s from being a COMPLETELY old decade until this year.

Subject: Re: The '80s lose another piece of youth today.

Written By: snozberries on 01/01/08 at 2:36 pm

It occured to me that every single person born in the decade are no longer minors, as of today. I know it's just a number, but doesn't that seem like it puts even more of a wedge between now and then...making it seem even further away? For instance, saying you were "born in the Eighties" had such a kidlike, young ring to it for so long, but now it's like how could it possibly? Not when even 1989ers are legal adults probably out of high school, or about to graduate this year at latest.

Like I said, because of the few people who still had minor status, it kept the '80s from being a COMPLETELY old decade until this year.

you have the most interesting observations... mostly I just think about how young everyone is and how I am not!  About two years ago, I live in a college town... I noticed that the freshmen were all born in 86.  This was the year I graduated high school... that means- had I gotten pregnant at 18 I could be the mother of college freshman  *SHUDDERS*  8-P  I'm not very maternal....except towards Carly of course!

Written By: Dagwood on 01/01/08 at 3:58 pm

I know how you feel, Snozberries.  My best friend's oldest son turns 19 next month and has a kid.  I am older than she is so I am old enough to be a grandmother.  Scary thoughts to keep me awake at night.

Written By: snozberries on 01/01/08 at 4:40 pm

I know how you feel, Snozberries.  My best friend's oldest son turns 19 next month and has a kid.  I am older than she is so I am old enough to be a grandmother.  Scary thoughts to keep me awake at night.

yeah when I went to my 10 year reunion one girl brought her newest baby..it was just a couple months old... and her fifth child 5!!!!!  :o  I didn't make the 20th so I don't know where she's at now but she's probably a grandma since she was very vocal about being anti birth control....she and her husband won the prize for the most kids....a box of condoms  ;D  I thought it was funny (& appropriate) she was offended tho.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/01/08 at 4:59 pm

Now I'm starting to feel old... those born in '80 are going to be 28 this year, those born in '89 are going to be 19...

Well yeah. No point to this post really.

http://djforum.free.fr/smileysmileysmiley/v2/surprises/surprises.smileysmiley.com.54.gif

Written By: coqueta83 on 01/01/08 at 7:49 pm

It's hard for me to believe that everyone from my class (1996) has either turned 30 already or about to turn 30.  :o

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/01/08 at 8:55 pm

you have the most interesting observations... mostly I just think about how young everyone is and how I am not!  About two years ago, I live in a college town... I noticed that the freshmen were all born in 86.  This was the year I graduated high school... that means- had I gotten pregnant at 18 I could be the mother of college freshman  *SHUDDERS*   8-P   I'm not very maternal....except towards Carly of course!

That's true (and thanks). :) Although I think there's three shifts in terms of "having kids".

1. Biologically old enough - around 12 or 13
2. Being old enough to where it's acceptable in society to be a parent, and you could logically provide for it (18-20ish)
3. Reaching more "typical parent age" - while this varies by the person, a biological generation is about 30 years.

I do know what you mean about the whole "losing youth" deal though. Like when I see some teenager 10 years younger than me who has a deep voice and is big as I am, I know times are changing...and there's a weirdness to that. Especially because when you're growing up, usually anyone 2-3 years younger than you is like a little kid.

Although I've started becoming used to it a little more with each year.

Written By: lemonverbina on 01/02/08 at 11:52 am

My 20th High School Reunion is this year...20 years ago I was 18. OMG !!! I feel old especially when people refer to 25 year olds as "girls" and I now have  thirteen years on them..or will have 13 years on them. The biggest crush to the youthful spirit is being called ma'am.  My kiddies are still very little but I have friends my age whose children are 18.

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/02/08 at 3:25 pm

I was just thinking about this yesterday:  It's 2008.  Next year is 2009.  In 1989 I entered middle school.  That means it is almost 20 years since I was in middle school, a time in my life that I frequently reminisce about.  It's inconceivable!!! Unfathomable!!! In other words, WTF? ? ?

Written By: eugoldlareg on 01/02/08 at 3:42 pm

just think, in another 3 years, everyone born in the 1980s will legally be able to drink.

Written By: snozberries on 01/03/08 at 3:06 pm

My 20th High School Reunion is this year...20 years ago I was 18. OMG !!! I feel old especially when people refer to 25 year olds as "girls" and I now have  thirteen years on them..or will have 13 years on them. The biggest crush to the youthful spirit is being called ma'am.  My kiddies are still very little but I have friends my age whose children are 18.

I wish I'd made it to my 20th... I had to work it was Halloween which is a big deal in Santa Barbara so they don't approve time off that weekend.  >:( 

I looked at the photos tho... everyone was so old (most of them)  I mean we're all the same age but I still look really young (except for some grey hair) so I was shocked to see how old some of them looked....

Written By: lemonverbina on 01/03/08 at 4:52 pm

SNOZBERRIES !!!!! Hey I have to dye my hair now ..i cant believe it.. i cant wait to see photos of old classmates. my classmates are lame none of them post or anything on classmates.com... I doubt we will have much of a reunion....I got married the week of our 10th year reunion. So I missed that..that was a big source of gossip, they thought I was just saying that because i didnt want to go...lol

Written By: snozberries on 01/03/08 at 7:36 pm

SNOZBERRIES !!!!! Hey I have to dye my hair now ..i cant believe it.. i cant wait to see photos of old classmates. my classmates are lame none of them post or anything on classmates.com... I doubt we will have much of a reunion....I got married the week of our 10th year reunion. So I missed that..that was a big source of gossip, they thought I was just saying that because i didnt want to go...lol

Way to be the center of controversy  you gotta figure out a way to top it...

I went to an all girls catholic  8-P school.  There were only 86 in my graduating class. We always have our reunions in conjunction with the grads from the boys school down the street.. The prob is I was hanging out with the soldiers and co workers on the weekends so I never met any of the guys from the boys school so I don't know any of them.... That's like half the people at the reunion I don't know.

I wasn't very popular in high school I was a still an alcoholic at my 10 yr so I got stinkin drunk and probably offended some people... I doubt I was missed at my 20 yr. None of the people I was real friends with went either so it was mostly the popular crowd there but I would've liked to have seen how they grew...plus I'd like them to get to know me sober so they know I'm not a complete ass...  :-\\  ah well I'll make the next one...

Written By: lemonverbina on 01/04/08 at 8:51 am

Well Im proud of your sobriety Snozberries. I went to a Lutheran school so our graduating class was small too like around 100 which was one of the largest classes they've had. (i think..)  I imposed myself on people. So I made myself popular, drama club, cheerleading etc. always the one to call everyone...I was invited to a few in crowd parties.. but Im certain they were laughing at me behind my back. Like I said think the dorky cheerleaders from SNL.

Isnt it funny looking back on it how we all have selective memory. I once spoke to a former classmate who was like 'do you still cheerlead !!" Im like huh...is all you remember about me considering I wasnt very good...(guess that's why she remembered)

So all this jabbering is to say when old classmates see you they will probably swear you were all great friends...

Written By: Timm on 01/04/08 at 12:37 pm

For me, realizing how far back the 80's were was when I heard Guns n Roses on a classic Rock station, and Led Zeppelin playing in Cadillac commercials. :)

Written By: Class of 84 on 01/04/08 at 6:30 pm

Funny thing is, the 80's seem so long ago, i can't believe someone born in 1989 could still only be 18!

Check for new replies or respond here...