inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Would you consider the 1980s as part of the cute culture?.

Written By: RollChan1985 on 01/02/08 at 5:22 pm

Since Japanese culture is fond of cute things (Sanrio,cute stationary,cute mascots etc) do you think the 1980s is about the cute culture too?.

I think part of the 1980s was about the cute culture because there was alot of cute toys/cartoons marketed during that era.Alot of girls toys from the time had pastel colors,cute looking animals,cute looking dolls,different colored animals,and lots of rainbows attached to it.

Also the three popular 80s movies E.T.,Gremlins, and Ewoks had the cute character effect (E.T.,Gizmo,and the Ewoks) which made alot of merchandise with those characters.

Also there was a cute book series that was popular during the 80s called Serendipity the pink dragon which was about a pink Anime-esque dragon which had a bunch of animal friends that would teach lessons to little children.

The cute characters of the 1980s that sticks out of my mind are:

Care Bears
My Little Pony
Strawberry Shortcake
Rainbow Brite
Glo-Worms
Herself the Elf
Rose Petal Place
Lady Lovely Locks
Monchhichis
Popples
Poochie
Cherry Merry Muffin
Ewoks
E.T.
Gizmo the Mogwai (Gremlins movie)
Maple Town
Moon Dreamers
Serendipity the pink dragon
Hello Kitty/Sanrio
Teddy Ruxpin
Cabbage Patch Kids

Part of the Japanese culture is that everything is about cuteness.Everybody has cell phone charms hanging from there phone,you have to have something cute with you,teenage girls wearing frilly maid outfits,and alot of the stationary they have is all pastel color cute looking animals.The Japanese is still part of the cute culture as the cute culture of the 1980s was still popular until 1996 because during the early 1990s they were still making pastel colored animal toys with My Little Pony and Care Bears type toys.

Subject: Re: Would you consider the 1980s as part of the cute culture?.

Written By: mad dog tannen on 01/03/08 at 2:27 am

I think it depends on where you come from.

As a kid (or even an adult) growing up in the 80's you might remember some of the cartoons with the cute Japanese influence (as you mentioned).

As an adolescent, you might have grown up in the batcaves listening to the likes of Skinny Puppy and Front 242 and only your super cool and hip parents thought your black clothes, jacked up hair and eyeliner was cute. 

As an adult you might have been one of those 20 something year olds who just graduated college making "50 thou a year" driving one of those nice 280Z's and could actually afford the price of cocaine.  Some others might have saw the struggle, growing up in the "rust belt" broke.

By way of comparison, I agree....the 80's were far more cute than other decades we've seen which is what I liked about it.  I think comparing Live Aid to Woodstock '99 is a good example of what we're talking about here.  Woodstock '99....Limp Bizkit played there.  Remember those guys??

Check for new replies or respond here...