inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone remember the band Big Pig?

Written By: SpaceHog on 01/04/08 at 1:55 pm

they released one song in 1988, and that was breakaway. The band was from Australia

Subject: Re: Anyone remember the band Big Pig?

Written By: gibbo on 01/04/08 at 2:46 pm

they released one song in 1988, and that was breakaway. The band was from Australia

I remember a video clip from the Eighties of Big Pig. Strangely, I don't remember the song but the rather group name......I do remeber I thought they were a good sounding band (a female lead, I think). The song must have been Breakaway as that's all I could find on my searches.

Written By: whistledog on 01/05/08 at 10:54 am

I remember this song very well.  Though it never broke the Top 40 in either the US or the UK, it was a Top 10 hit in both Australia and Canada

Written By: Midas on 01/05/08 at 5:39 pm

I gots the 12" single for "Breakaway".  Good tune.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/05/08 at 8:47 pm

Oh yeah, great band.  I still have the "Bonk" album somewhere.  "Breakaway" was a cool song, but my favorites were the album cuts "Iron Lung" and "Charlie."  "Hungry Town" was a big hit in Australia but not in the U.S.

I thought Big Pig was cool because they were percussion-based and didn't use guitars.  I like guitars, both acoustic and electric, but that instrument dominated pop music for over three decades.  It was refreshing to see a band do something different.  I wish Big Pig had been able to stay around longer. 

"Bonk" went platinum in Australia and sold well around the world 1987-89.  The follow-up album, "All You Lucky People" flopped, so I guess it really wasn't lucky.  Maybe that had something to do with a premature split-up.

Check for new replies or respond here...