inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Metropolis

Written By: Streethawk! on 01/04/08 at 6:23 pm

Yes I know, its originally a 1927 film by Fritz Lang but Im focusing here on Giorgo Moroders 80's update, update in this case means restored film and an absolutely deadly and industrial 80's soundtrack. My favorite version of the film, I have seen them all bar the original cinema release which was the only one to have all the scenes in it, about 30-40 minutes of the film are gone for good sadly never to be seen again as they have been lost to time, it really is a masterpiece and the special effects are amazing considering the time they were done in (1927) Lang himself thought some of his other films were better but plainly, They are not. For me anyway. I have seen most of his films and this one is truly breathtaking.
  Onto Moroder, As you may or may not know Giorgio Moroder is a Synth legend, in my eyes hes right up there with Tangerine Dream, all the tracks bar one on the Metropolis OST were original tracks made for the film For example, Loverboy sing Destruction, Adam Ant sings Whats going on. All the tracks arent what you would expect of the artists, especially in Adam Ants case, Whats going on is like no other song he did. Its brilliant and deadly serious. The only "normal" track on it is Love Kills by Freddy Mercury and to be honest it is probably the weakest track on the soundtrack, the lyrics of the song really relate to the movie and particularly the scene they are played in. Out of context you can kind of get a WTF thing going on but remember the film they were from and its all good  8)
Anyone else seen the film?  :-\\

Edited To add: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB9NmK7XJdA
I have uploaded a song from the OST onto youtube. Some cool synth work by Moroder but I keep asking myself the question, who the heck are Cycle V?  :D

Subject: Re: Metropolis

Written By: Class of 84 on 01/04/08 at 6:27 pm

Haven't seen the remake, but I did rather enjoy the original.  We watched it in film class in college.....

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/05/08 at 3:01 pm

Did Dave Stewart (of the Eurythmics) contribute to this version?

I should know, I do have the soundtrack somewhere on my shelf!

Written By: Streethawk! on 01/05/08 at 3:12 pm

Did Dave Stewart (of the Eurythmics) contribute to this version?

I should know, I do have the soundtrack somewhere on my shelf!

As far as I can remember I dont think he contributed to the soundtrack on any level. However there is a chance he contributed to one or more of the songs but not on a "main man" level anyway. Theres always a chance though, for example - Steve Jones(Sex Pistols)worked on Don Johnsons 1989 album Let It Roll on 2 of the most un-sex pistols like tracks.
Heres the track listing from Moroders Metropolis
1. Love Kills - Freddie Mercury
2. Here's My Heart - Pat Benatar
3. Cage OF Freedom - Jon Anderson
4. Blood From A Stone - Cycle V
5. The Legend Of Babel - Giorgio Moroder
6. Here She Comes - Bonnie Tyler
7. Destruction - Loverboy
8. On Your Own - Billy Squier
9. What's Going On - Adam Ant
10. Machines - Giorgio Moroder

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/05/08 at 3:53 pm

As far as I can remember I dont think he contributed to the soundtrack on any level. However there is a chance he contributed to one or more of the songs but not on a "main man" level anyway. Theres always a chance though, for example - Steve Jones(Sex Pistols)worked on Don Johnsons 1989 album Let It Roll on 2 of the most un-sex pistols like tracks.
Heres the track listing from Moroders Metropolis
1. Love Kills - Freddie Mercury
2. Here's My Heart - Pat Benatar
3. Cage OF Freedom - Jon Anderson
4. Blood From A Stone - Cycle V
5. The Legend Of Babel - Giorgio Moroder
6. Here She Comes - Bonnie Tyler
7. Destruction - Loverboy
8. On Your Own - Billy Squier
9. What's Going On - Adam Ant
10. Machines - Giorgio Moroder
The reason why I ask is because back in the 80s, I was working for a film company which showed Metropolis as a private screening to Dave Stewart. In fact, his brother worked there too.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/05/08 at 8:55 pm

Merging synthesizers and disco Giorgio Moroder set the pace for dance club music for the next 30 years.  He is ineed a synth legend.  However, he is responsible for some heinous productions, such as "Phillip Oakey & Giorgio Moroder" and that "Metropolis" soundtrack. 

It is interesting to note, Queen's "Radio Ga Ga" video is much informed by "Metropolis." 

Written By: whistledog on 01/05/08 at 10:47 pm

I have the soundtrack and I love it.  Never saw the film though

Check for new replies or respond here...