inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ms. Pacman anyone?

Written By: Dude111 on 01/11/08 at 10:47 pm

http://www.1980-games.com/us/old-games/java-games/mspacman.php

This is the exact same version we played and loved in the 80s by midway!!

The emulator they are using SUCKS though,some of the sounds arent right :(

My best on this is 41510 so far! (About what i always used to get on this one in the 80s)

Subject: Re: Ms. Pacman anyone?

Written By: midnite on 01/12/08 at 12:26 pm

I used to love Ms. Pacman though i wasnt good.  The pizza place near me had Spyhunter, Galaga, and Pinbot.  I used to play those games EVERY day!!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/13/08 at 1:37 pm

I seem to recall the Ms. Pacman maze was more complex than Pacman.

"Honey don'tcha know, I'm more than Pacman with a bow!"
--commercial jingle

Written By: Dude111 on 01/13/08 at 9:48 pm

Yes it was better also :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/16/08 at 3:23 pm

I like both Pac-Man and Mrs. Pac-Man.

Written By: Dude111 on 01/16/08 at 4:44 pm

I cant get any sound when i load PACMAN on that site.. (Midways)

That EMU really sucks :(

Written By: wildcard on 01/16/08 at 6:35 pm

I use to play Mrs. Pac-Man on the Commodore 64

Written By: Davester on 01/16/08 at 8:23 pm

I always thought that Ms. Pac was easier.  The ghosts moved a little slower...

I also found a key or two. WooHoo..!  Fruit salad..! 8)

Anyone figure out any keys..?

Written By: nally on 01/16/08 at 10:17 pm

One of my favorite arcade games. 8) In 1999-2000 I became a really good player at it, using strategies to avoid the ghosties at first, and saving the power pellets (the big blinking dots) for when all four of the ghosties are together so that I can eat them. From February 2001 until August 2004 I had no access to a Ms Pac Man machine, but I remembered my skills...and for the next year or so I was able to advance to stage 14...where the power pellet has no effect on the ghosties. My best all-time score is something like 124,000.

Written By: Davester on 01/16/08 at 11:22 pm

One of my favorite arcade games. 8) In 1999-2000 I became a really good player at it, using strategies to avoid the ghosties at first, and saving the power pellets (the big blinking dots) for when all four of the ghosties are together so that I can eat them. From February 2001 until August 2004 I had no access to a Ms Pac Man machine, but I remembered my skills...and for the next year or so I was able to advance to stage 14...where the power pellet has no effect on the ghosties. My best all-time score is something like 124,000.

Get outta here!  There were Ms. Pac Man consoles around in '99-2000..?

Lemme guess, it's $1.25 per game due to inflation...heh...

I don't remember my high score but in the day I'd have spanked you at Ms. Pac...

Written By: Midas on 01/17/08 at 10:11 am

Ghosties?!?  :o ??? ;D

I have the MAME version on my PC and on the PS2.  It's been awhile but I've had a high score somewhere up in the neighborhood of 150,000.

Written By: nally on 01/17/08 at 1:04 pm

I've only played the arcade version...either a tabletop or standard video arcade machine. But it's been at least two years since I last played the game at all.

Written By: Davester on 01/17/08 at 6:18 pm

Ghosties?!?   :o ??? ;D

I have the MAME version on my PC and on the PS2.  It's been awhile but I've had a high score somewhere up in the neighborhood of 150,000.

Okay, maybe I wouldn't have spanked you...

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/19/08 at 5:48 am

I grew up in a Pac-Man family!

My mother was the All-Time best at Ms. Pac-Man.
On a weekend where we had $100 to blow, you couldn't get her off that machine!
She would play that thing for hours- literally.

I recall her getting enough points to restart the Point Counter, on many occasions.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/20/08 at 9:16 pm

This link contains some useful info, including an HTML-ized (also available in PDF) strategy guide from the Ms. PacMan Think Tank from Bozeman, MT. 

It's a hell of a game.  Never was able to break 200K myself. 

Written By: Davester on 01/20/08 at 9:38 pm

This link contains some useful info, including an HTML-ized (also available in PDF) strategy guide from the Ms. PacMan Think Tank from Bozeman, MT. 

Wow...

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/20/08 at 11:13 pm

Wow...

Naaw, that's mundane.  You want a "wow"?  How about Chris Ayra's perfect game of Ms.Pac in 1998, with a record that stood until beaten by Abdner Ashman's 933,580-point perfect game in 2006.  (The scores for a perfect Ms. PacMan game will vary, because the fruits at higher levels are random).

And to thoroughly take the plunge into the deep end of wacky, if you think the Bozeman, MT group was nuts for Ms. Pac, wait'll you see The King of Kong, a 2007 movie about the battle between Billy Mitchell and Steve Weibe for the Donkey Kong record.  A few months after the movie came out, Mitchell managed to (credibly) take back the Kong title from Wiebe.  Suffice it to say that although they're still farily bitter rivals, the "bad blood" isn't quite as bad as it was portrayed in the movie.  All that can truly be agreed upon is that both players are incredibly skilled.  The Kong battle continues, and will probably go back and forth between the two of them for the next decade.

Written By: Davester on 01/20/08 at 11:26 pm

Naaw, that's mundane.  You want a "wow"?  How about Chris Ayra's perfect game of Ms.Pac in 1998, with a record that stood until beaten by Abdner Ashman's 933,580-point perfect game in 2006.  (The scores for a perfect Ms. PacMan game will vary, because the fruits at higher levels are random).

And to thoroughly take the plunge into the deep end of wacky, if you think the Bozeman, MT group was nuts for Ms. Pac, wait'll you see The King of Kong, a 2007 movie about the battle between Billy Mitchell and Steve Weibe for the Donkey Kong record.  A few months after the movie came out, Mitchell managed to (credibly) take back the Kong title from Wiebe.  Suffice it to say that although they're still farily bitter rivals, the "bad blood" isn't quite as bad as it was portrayed in the movie.  All that can truly be agreed upon is that both players are incredibly skilled.  The Kong battle continues, and will probably go back and forth between the two of them for the next decade.

Nearly a freakin' million..?

Don't get chumpatized.  That sh*t is so cool..!  The DVD comes out this month.  I'm there...

True Xers.  I'm gettin' all misty eyed... ;D

Written By: nally on 01/21/08 at 10:17 pm

I shall check it out when I have an opportunity. I'd love to play the game again sometime.

I just know that on stage 14, the power pellet has no effect on the ghosties (i.e., they don't even turn dark blue when you eat the power pellet; they just stay their normal colors).

Written By: Davester on 01/22/08 at 5:44 am

I shall check it out when I have an opportunity. I'd love to play the game again sometime.

I just know that on stage 14, the power pellet has no effect on the ghosties (i.e., they don't even turn dark blue when you eat the power pellet; they just stay their normal colors).

Be sure to check out the Pocketful of Quarters trailer.  This Donkey Kong rivalry is crazy (and cool)...crool even...

Written By: nally on 01/22/08 at 1:11 pm

Be sure to check out the Pocketful of Quarters trailer.  This Donkey Kong rivalry is crazy (and cool)...crool even...

Donkey Kong is a game I have not yet played.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/22/08 at 11:22 pm

Back in the Missile Command world, there'll soon be a documentary on a quest for the Missile Command marathon-settings High Score.

It turns out that there's a game-killing bug in the game that can appear once every 18 hours.  This, more so than player endurance, is probably why the world record scores have been clustered in the mid-20,000,000s, mid-50,000,000s, and high-70,000,000s.  The current high score is in the neighborhood of 80,000,000, and took somewhere around 60 hours of continuous play.

(The non-marathon setting record for Missile Command is equally up for grabs.  Non-marathon setting, for those of you who remember the game, is "6 cities, no bonus cities, ever, because the 8xx,000 bug is never triggered."  There are people who can get past 100,000 without losing their first city, and the last time I checked, the current record was just short of a mind-boggling 2M points.)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/23/08 at 3:30 pm

"Come on, Come on!
Come on, come on!
Do the Donkey Kong! Do the Donkey Ko-o-o-ong!"

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/31/08 at 1:17 am

"Come on, Come on!
Come on, come on!
Do the Donkey Kong! Do the Donkey Ko-o-o-ong!"

(Great.  I'm not gonna have that song out of my head until at least a few days from now!)

...tiptoe through the tulips and then raise your hands up high,
Don't mess with the disc jockey, 'cuz the track fades back and I-
don't wanna take the heat for thirty seconds of dead sound,
I'm in trouble now, take the elevator down...

Recommendation:  If Buckner and Garcia are still selling it, buy the 1999 re-recorded CD to support the artists, then get a rip from the original 1982 vinyl from the usual channels.  They did an extremely good job considering they had no access to the source materials and had to re-record everything from scratch.  Someday when I have nothing be(OK, OK, some day when I bloody well feel like it, because as we all know, I really don't have anything be)tter to do, I'll detail all the differences between the original vinyl and the re-recorded version.  Both are worth a listen, if for nothing else than the differences between the samples.

And for Kong's sake, don't get Chumpatized:  Buy (or at least Netflix) the King of Kong DVD!

Written By: Davester on 01/31/08 at 4:10 pm

(Great.  I'm not gonna have that song out of my head until at least a few days from now!)

...tiptoe through the tulips and then raise your hands up high,
Don't mess with the disc jockey, 'cuz the track fades back and I-
don't wanna take the heat for thirty seconds of dead sound,
I'm in trouble now, take the elevator down...

Recommendation:  If Buckner and Garcia are still selling it, buy the 1999 re-recorded CD to support the artists, then get a rip from the original 1982 vinyl from the usual channels.  They did an extremely good job considering they had no access to the source materials and had to re-record everything from scratch.  Someday when I have nothing be(OK, OK, some day when I bloody well feel like it, because as we all know, I really don't have anything be)tter to do, I'll detail all the differences between the original vinyl and the re-recorded version.  Both are worth a listen, if for nothing else than the differences between the samples.

And for Kong's sake, don't get Chumpatized:  Buy (or at least Netflix) the King of Kong DVD!

Yeah, I'd read complaints on amazon that the current B&G CD is re-recorded.  Ha!  I mean, how bad can it be.?!

Just received King of Kong in the mail today!  Check it out after work.  Cant wait..!  :)

Written By: musicmike on 02/01/08 at 2:43 pm

I have Ms Pac-Man on the PSP. It is on Namco Museum Battle Collection. Many other cools games on it also. It is one of the best PSP games I own. All 80s games.

The game is just the way I remember it.

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/01/08 at 2:45 pm

Ms. Pacman was such a Diva!  Just the name... Ms.  She couldn't be "Miss".  D-I-V-A

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/01/08 at 9:08 pm

Yeah, I'd read complaints on amazon that the current B&G CD is re-recorded.  Ha!  I mean, how bad can it be.?!

Just received King of Kong in the mail today!  Check it out after work.  Cant wait..!  :)

B&G: Yep, it's re-recorded. Objectively, it's neither better nor worse than the original. Subjectively, as a kid who bought the original vynil in the 80s and listened to it until the grooves got half-worn off the record and permanetly etched (or is that "scarred") into my brain, the re-recorded versions all sound "a bit wrong".  The CD was still one of the first things I bought "online" directly from the artist.  More than happy to have both.

King of Kong: Now get thee to Twin Galaxies and keep an eye on current developments.  It wouldn't surprise me to see either of the contenders swap positions at the top every few years. 

Written By: Dude111 on 02/02/08 at 10:37 pm

Ms. Pacman was such a Diva!  Just the name... Ms.   She couldn't be "Miss".  D-I-V-A
It was my favourite game of the time!!! (Of the arcade type)

I still love it greatly :)

Written By: musicmike on 02/03/08 at 10:17 am

As I got older I found graphics is not what makes the games really, although they can add to it. It is really about how fun the game is to play.

These old 80s games were fun but they also were really hard!

Written By: nally on 02/03/08 at 12:18 pm

I have Ms Pac-Man on the PSP. It is on Namco Museum Battle Collection. Many other cools games on it also. It is one of the best PSP games I own. All 80s games.

The game is just the way I remember it.

Is it easier to play that rather than the arcade? I know sometimes the joystick is hard on my fingers after playing with it for a long period of time.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 02/04/08 at 10:34 am

Now, why couldn't Buckner & Garcia have done a sequel LP, with a song about the Ms.?

I actually wrote to them once, and asked if I had their permission to do that.
They said they thought it was a great idea, and if I got the details together, let them know.

.........I'm still working on it, 2 yrs. later.

Written By: Davester on 02/10/08 at 4:32 am

Now, why couldn't Buckner & Garcia have done a sequel LP, with a song about the Ms.?

They said they thought it was a great idea, and if I got the details together, let them know.

Serious..?

Written By: nally on 05/22/10 at 2:20 pm

That would've been great. I so would have wanted to see a video of it too.

Written By: nally on 05/22/10 at 2:25 pm

Someone going through the first level en route to achieving the highest possible score on it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxhkYMLjmj8

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/22/10 at 9:54 pm

The accrual of points for the sake of point accrual lost its charm for me pretty quickly. 

Apart from a brief addiction to "Doom" in 1994, I haven't been into video games. 

As for the Ms. Pacman think tank? Thank you, no.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/pcangry.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/28/10 at 10:42 pm

The accrual of points for the sake of point accrual lost its charm for me pretty quickly. 

Wait, we're talking about Ms. PacMan, not personal finance :)

While anyone could memorize a few patterns and play Pac-Man for hours (until the game crashed at level 255), the algorithm for Ms. Pac's monster movement was sufficiently random that it's a real test of skill.  A perfect game is astronomically more difficult on Ms. Pac than on Pac-Man. 

The think tank got started when someone decided that the game was beatable, and the techniques they outlined took them to 133-141 that produced the kill screens.  (With stock ROMs, you may die on 133-140, and the game will crash on 141.)  The variation in high scores today is due to luck of the draw; for most of the game, the fruit (and the scores available per board) is randomly-chosen, but the biggest factor is how lucky you get with the kill screens.

And then there's this guy, who went and fixed the bug!

Why strive for a perfect game of Ms. PacMan?  Same reason people climb mountains.  Because it's there.

Written By: wildcard on 05/29/10 at 1:03 am

I use to love playing ms pacman on our commodore 64

Written By: Dude111 on 02/25/18 at 12:38 pm

Just played again and got 19540!! (Maybe I should have posted this on the games base)

Ill play my MAME version in a little bit... MUCH BETTER :)

Written By: Howard on 02/26/18 at 5:15 am

Just played again and got 19540!! (Maybe I should have posted this on the games base)

Ill play my MAME version in a little bit... MUCH BETTER :)

What level did you complete?

Written By: Dude111 on 02/26/18 at 6:12 pm

Apple I think Howard....... I played my arcade mspacman (MAME) after and got 49460 :)

Written By: nally on 02/26/18 at 6:16 pm

It was my favourite game of the time!!! (Of the arcade type)

I still love it greatly :)

I actually haven't played it at all in the last ten plus years, but I think I'd remember how if I came across an arcade machine again.

Apple I think Howard....... I played my arcade mspacman (MAME) after and got 49460 :)

Impressive! That would be stage five (the third and final level with maze #2).

Written By: Dude111 on 02/26/18 at 6:25 pm

On the arcade version I have gotton above Banana :)

Written By: nally on 02/26/18 at 11:56 pm

So have I. Then they give you random fruit icons from stage 8 onwards. O0

Written By: Howard on 02/27/18 at 7:13 am

I played Ms.Pacman in an old department store.

Written By: Howard on 02/27/18 at 7:15 am

Did it go faster after a few levels in? ???

Written By: Dude111 on 02/27/18 at 9:48 am

Yup sure did buddy :)

Written By: Howard on 02/27/18 at 1:46 pm

You ever watch people play Ms.Pacman on YouTube?

Written By: nally on 02/27/18 at 5:42 pm

Did it go faster after a few levels in? ???

Usually it does. The ghosties will move around faster, for one thing. Sometimes they spread out so that one of them can capture you anywhere they want. Sometimes you have to quickly anticipate where they'll go.

Written By: nally on 02/27/18 at 5:47 pm

You ever watch people play Ms.Pacman on YouTube?

Sure, here's a (partial) playthrough: https://www.youtube.com/user/nook77/videos

Check for new replies or respond here...