inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: help me remember the name of an '80's pbs show

Written By: uberkarnie on 01/18/08 at 9:27 pm

it was a 15 minute nebraska etv show (i think) with a pirate or ship captain and some lady who helped him find clues hidden on a deserted island...perhaps to help kids learn to read, it was horrible but the theme song still gets stuck in my head (the broken pieces i recall at least...)

does anyone remember the name?

Subject: Re: help me remember the name of an '80's pbs show

Written By: Nick on 02/22/08 at 2:50 am

Hello,

I was searching for the same show.  Haven't had much luck though.  Thought I remembered the pirate getting trapped in a tree or a tree stump?  If you remember any of the words of the song, we might be able to find it on a lyric search.  Let me know if you find out what the name of it is.

Thanks

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/22/08 at 3:18 am

Have both of you check www.imdb.com

Written By: Nick on 02/22/08 at 1:05 pm

I tried the IMB site, no luck.  Perhaps I am completely inept at proper searching technique.  Any other sites to search?  Databases?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/22/08 at 1:06 pm

I tried the IMB site, no luck.  Perhaps I am completely inept at proper searching technique.  Any other sites to search?  Databases?
Have google search with the key words?

Written By: Nick on 02/22/08 at 8:18 pm

I've tried as many key words as I could think of and all I find is other people looking for the same show.  Quite a mystery I guess.
If I could remember any of the words to the song I might be able to find something.  I don't suppose there are data bases of old PBS schedules?  Not that it makes any difference but I was in South Dakota at the time, so it sounds like there were at least two states it played in.

Written By: Lance :D on 07/25/10 at 10:00 pm

Back in St. Olaf... I think that was The Golden Girls version of "One time at band camp"

Written By: Jeremy on 02/03/11 at 12:36 am

I grew up in southern Illinois and it played there. I've been searching for that show for years. And I know the song has something in it about "...Lady and Captain, too..." and something like "...let's all work together to find the hidden island treasure." Sorry, everyone, but that's all I've got.

Written By: Sammy Reed on 02/05/11 at 12:23 am

The show was called "I-Land Treasure". I know because I used to have a big-dish satellite system and watched that network. The same few people played on different Nebraska ETV shows. The man also played the sherrif in "Belle Letters' Story Salon", and the woman played the witch on "Once Upon a Time", where she captured Marian, the Librarian, and the space prisoner in "Star Lore" where she captured another character played by the same person who played Marian on the other show - who also played Belle Letters.

I guess the only Nebraska ETV personality (or at least one of the few) with a show of her own was Miss Lankford in "The Art Corner".

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/16/11 at 2:45 pm

Yes!!!  Captain Kangaroo is the name of the show and I used to have such a crush on him!

Written By: Howard on 02/16/11 at 8:09 pm

Yes!!!  Captain Kangaroo is the name of the show and I used to have such a crush on him!

That wasn't on PBS It was on Channel 5.

Written By: whistledog on 02/16/11 at 9:06 pm

That wasn't on PBS It was on Channel 5.

Maybe in his area, PBS is on Channel 5

Written By: TREV on 04/11/11 at 1:58 pm

I-LAND TREASURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: mizzarychic on 12/05/14 at 5:24 pm

GOD BLESS the person who started this thread and those who responded.  I tried to find this for eons and finally located this post today, then found a YouTube video once I had the title.  We used to watch this in school in kindergarten or 1st grade.  Thank you for solving a mystery that had been bugging me for decades!  :-*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HsIquKt2vg

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/07/14 at 12:09 am

GOD BLESS the person who started this thread and those who responded.  I tried to find this for eons and finally located this post today, then found a YouTube video once I had the title.  We used to watch this in school in kindergarten or 1st grade.  Thank you for solving a mystery that had been bugging me for decades!  :-*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HsIquKt2vg

"The following in-school programme is brought to you by the Nebraska Department of Education..."

O here is Captain Lingo,
A private brave and bold
Who spends all of his life in search of silver and gold
He found a lamp as you can see,
Inside was Lasy Speakwell,
A magic genie...
So come with us we'll search together,
To find the hidden I-land treasure...

- Theme from I-Land Treasure (so obscure IMDB hasn't heard of it, no copyright date available on the linked video, and some six years later we finally have confirmation that someone here solved it!)

Captain Lingo: Denny Brown
Lady Speakwell: Gloria Armstrong

Check for new replies or respond here...