inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Soft Cell - Poll

Written By: whistledog on 01/24/08 at 12:04 pm

1981 - Tainted Love *
1981 - Bedsitter
1982 - Say Hello, Wave Goodbye **
1982 - Torch
1982 - What
1982 - Where the Heart Is
1983 - Numbers/Barriers
1983 - Soul Inside
1984 - Down in the Subway
2002 - Monoculture
2003 - The Night

* 1991 re-chart: UK #5
** 1991 remix: UK #38

Subject: Re: Soft Cell - Poll

Written By: nally on 01/24/08 at 12:07 pm

^...what about "Sexdwarf"? Wasn't that popular in the UK? ??? Or was it too "offensive" (for lack of a better word)?

I know I've heard it on the radio here in the U.S.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/24/08 at 12:12 pm

My vote was between Tainted Love and Say Hello, Wave Goodbye, and the vote went to Tainted Love

Written By: whistledog on 01/24/08 at 12:26 pm

^...what about "Sexdwarf"? Wasn't that popular in the UK? ??? Or was it too "offensive" (for lack of a better word)?

I know I've heard it on the radio here in the U.S.

I'm not sure that was even a single.  I know it appears on some compilation CDs

Written By: nally on 01/24/08 at 12:29 pm

I'm not sure that was even a single.  I know it appears on some compilation CDs

That's odd. ::)

Written By: Midas on 01/24/08 at 5:56 pm

My vote goes to other - "Sex Dwarf".  I also dig Marc Almond's solo tracks "Tears Run Rings" and "Jacky". :)

Written By: midnite_ on 01/24/08 at 9:13 pm

Tainted Love - sorry but I had to (uncharacteristically) go with the mainstream on this one.

Written By: whistledog on 01/25/08 at 1:38 am

That's odd. ::)

I can tell you that if it was a single, it didn't chart in the UK or North America

Written By: cinnabon on 01/25/08 at 5:41 pm

The only song I'm familiar with is 'Tainted Love', though I'm sure the other songs listed here are good too.  I heard it sampled on Rihanna's 2006 single, "SOS", which is also a pretty good song.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/25/08 at 6:24 pm

The only one I even heard of is Tainted Love-but I REALLY LOVE the song.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/08 at 5:27 am

Tainted Love was originally recorded in 1964 by Gloria Jones, who late became Marc Bolan's girlfriend. She was the driver of car in the fatal car crash that killed Marc Bolan.

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 01/28/08 at 6:47 am

Tainted Love

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/28/08 at 4:06 pm

Tainted Love was originally recorded in 1964 by Gloria Jones, who late became Marc Bolan's girlfriend. She was the driver of car in the fatal car crash that killed Marc Bolan.

Written by Ed Cobb (of the group The Four Freshmen)
There's a pretty good Wikipedia on the song.  A half dozen or so other artists covered it before Soft Cell (and a dozen more after) but the Soft Cell version remains the definitive one.  They almost did not record the song at all.  It doesn't exactly define their sound.  A lot of people went out and bought Soft Cell records and were horrified by the other tracks!  Lyrically, Marc Almond is often mean-spirited.  His songs are about all those who don't get to live the good life!

My favorite?  Hard to say.  All factors weighed, I'd have to go with Soul Inside (12" version). 

2. Say Hello, Wave Goodbye
3. Torch (12" version)
4. The Girl with the Patent Leather Face
5. Tainted Love
6. Heat
7. Sex Dwarf
8. Down in the Subway
9. Where Was Your Heart (When You Needed it Most)
10. Bedsitter

Honorable mention:
Uglyhead (Marc Almond & the Willing Sinners)

8)

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/31/08 at 12:53 am

As much as I try to avoid a little too much schadenfreude, to watch another's fall from grace puts a big smile on my face.  How can it be resisted?  Something so deliciously twisted?  To watch you go with tears in your eyes, all because of my cruel lies. 

I've tried (as far as I can) to feel some empathy for my fellow man.  You can keep your kind of morality; it never really meant a thing to me, so express your degenerate ways - and celebrate, for these are deviant days.  Your normality fails to excite.  Don't waste your time, it'll take all night.

Perversity!  You bring out the worst in me... It's a curse to me, this perversity.
Perversity! (I love the diversity!)  I've studied at the university - of perversity.

(Sure, Tainted Love's gonna win this one.  Still, I got a big kick out of 2003's The Night, and someone had to stand up for it.  Only Soft Cell could make Sex Dwarf sound positively cute and innocent.  They were singing about sex, I was humming along thinking of the profits I'd made on defense stocks from a war I thought we'd won.  But in the Soft Cell universe, was there really any difference?)

Written By: K.M. Richards on 02/24/08 at 9:41 pm

"Sex Dwarf" got a lot of airplay on stations like KROQ and 91X, turned up in both stations' all-time 80s lists, and still gets airplay on the Sirius and XM modern rock/new wave channels.

Check for new replies or respond here...