inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Human League - Hysteria

Written By: NewWaveAddict on 01/27/08 at 3:47 pm

I think "The Lebanon" is the best on the album. "The Sign", "Louise", and "Life On Your Own" are good too.

Subject: Re: Human League - Hysteria

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/27/08 at 6:37 pm

I always loved "Mirror Man" and "Seconds" by Human League best.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/28/08 at 4:21 pm

^ "Mirror Man" is from the "Fascination" e.p.  and "Seconds" is from "Dare."  Both of these are better than anything on "Hysteria."  I'm intimately familiar with "Hysteria," I listened to it every day when I was 15.  It's hard for me to listen to now because the songs are so simplistic and the production is so ugly.  If you're going to make a crummy record, make it cheap.  They didn't, they practically went bankrupt.  In fact, the entire album was recorded piecemeal under much duress and in-fighting. 

"The Lebanon" is definitely the strongest track, followed by "Louise" (great bass line, surprised hip-hop artists didn't sample it), and "Life On Your Own."  I also like "The World Tonight," the a b-side on the "Life On Your Own" single. 

"Hysteria" is still better than "Crash," which was a Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis record with source material by HL! 

Human League wouldn't make another good record until "Octopus" (1994) as they tried to go back to the "Dare" sound.  "Secrets" is a good album too. 

Written By: whistledog on 01/28/08 at 4:50 pm

I never much cared for Hysteria.  The songs were catchy, but the album sleeve was so plain and dull that I never got passed that.  As much as I love 80s music, to me, the League's best album was their 1994 release 'Octopus'

I once saw someone on an old 80s forum who said that he thought the Human League's best ever album was 'The Luxury Gap' by Heaven 17.  That still makes me laugh ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/28/08 at 5:35 pm

I never much cared for Hysteria.  The songs were catchy, but the album sleeve was so plain and dull that I never got passed that.  As much as I love 80s music, to me, the League's best album was their 1994 release 'Octopus'

I once saw someone on an old 80s forum who said that he thought the Human League's best ever album was 'The Luxury Gap' by Heaven 17.  That still makes me laugh ;D

I'm starting a different thread for this one!

Check for new replies or respond here...