inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: h

Written By: tetratron on 01/28/08 at 9:04 am

h

Subject: Re: Anyone see the New Knightrider promo? Think it will be a hit or a flop?

Written By: karen on 01/28/08 at 9:11 am

I'm not sure how well it will do.  I plan on watching the first one or two episodes at least to give it a fair chance.

Subject: Re: Anyone see the New Knightrider promo? Think it will be a hit or a flop?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/08 at 9:26 am

Is DH still in it?

Written By: NbC on 01/28/08 at 10:38 am

Hard to tell from just the commercial.  But I will check it out.  I was a fan of the show back in the day. 

Written By: Dagwood on 01/28/08 at 11:02 am

Is DH still in it?

Yeah, but he isn't the main guy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/08 at 12:47 pm

Yeah, but he isn't the main guy.
I wonder why?

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/28/08 at 1:34 pm

I wonder why?

he's too old... and does anyone like him anymore?  why did they ever?

Written By: whistledog on 01/28/08 at 3:01 pm

I think it will be good.  A new generation of fans can now enjoy Knight Rider the way we did in the 80s, and with the technology out there now, they can make it look real.

If you watch episodes of the original Knight Rider, in many scenes, you can visibly see the ramps that made K.I.T.T. jump

Written By: gumbypiz on 01/28/08 at 5:35 pm

Like some have said, the whole idea of the show was a shadowy man driving a sleek supercar, but the clips of the new show are a bit heavy handed (not like the original was anything close to being subtle mind you  ::) ).

Sorry, but the car, even more than Hasselhoffs chest hair, was the real star of the show. Now I know the Firebird T/A is out of production, but the new/retro Ford Mustang is anything but sleek or beautiful (fast yes, but a brick nonetheless). There are any number of vehicles that would of fit the part, but what part of stealthy could a Mustang be with gaudy body kit and a gajillion spoilers and scoops on it?

I'm not impressed, so I guess they are actually going to have to write some good writing/acting and a decent script to make this worth watching (wait, I forgot theres that nasty writers strike, but then, what was their excuse before on the original?  ;) )

William Daniels did the voice of KITT in the 80's series, who is going to be the voice of the new car? Its bad enough that KITT is a FORD, but if they don't get the voice right, I will guarantee a flop.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/28/08 at 6:14 pm

he's too old... and does anyone like him anymore?  why did they ever?

Because he was ultra sexy in the old Knight Rider.  I was 12, what can I say? ;D  Now...not so much.

According to IMDB, Will Arnett will be voicing K.I.T.T.  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004715/

Written By: Red Ant on 01/28/08 at 9:24 pm

"Based on the still-to-be-released Ford Mustang Shelby GT500KR, this virtual 'Stang comes tricked out with a supercomputer that can hack almost any system; a very capable weapons system; and a body—thanks to nanotechnology—that's able to shape-shift and change color at will."

Okay, but does it have a variable size cupholder? If it does, the show will be a success. If not...

Ant

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/29/08 at 12:21 pm

I don't think it will last long.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/29/08 at 12:40 pm

I don't think it will last long.
On some website it states that this Knight Rider is to be a one off lasting about two hours.

Written By: whistledog on 01/29/08 at 9:18 pm

On some website it states that this Knight Rider is to be a one off lasting about two hours.

It is a TV Movie of sorts yes.  It could develop into a series

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/01/08 at 2:56 pm

It is a TV Movie of sorts yes.  It could develop into a series
Oh no!!

Written By: Lindee on 02/01/08 at 3:15 pm

It will probably will suck as much as the new Bionic Woman  8-P

Written By: Streethawk! on 02/01/08 at 6:34 pm

My guess it won't last past 3 episodes because all the die hard fans will be mad, but who knows???
I'll watch the pilot though.

Yes, Im rather fuming. I owned an 82 Firebird a few years back out of my KR interest. The original season 1 was the best for me. After that it got rather silly. Especially the KR2000 movie. I havent watched any of the trailers and dont intend to, nor will I watch it when it comes out. Its a travesty. Leave KR where it was. Leave the 80's where it was. All these 80's rehashes are bloody terrible. I could write a huge long reply stating exactly why the new KR will be crap but I wont. It simply wont be Knight Rider, thats all that needs to be said.

R

Written By: robby76 on 02/03/08 at 6:29 am

Leave KR where it was. Leave the 80's where it was. All these 80's rehashes are bloody terrible. I could write a huge long reply stating exactly why the new KR will be crap but I wont. It simply wont be Knight Rider, thats all that needs to be said.

I have to agree. Whilst the idea of re-makes sound interesting, the reality is that they're always a letdown and consequently short lived. If people want to re-live the 80s then they should show the original series in reruns or promote the dvd sets more. The only people who might enjoy it are the younger generation who (through no fault of their own) don't know any better.

Written By: NbC on 02/04/08 at 12:50 am

That show was such a disappointment! 

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/07/08 at 11:32 am

That show was such a disappointment! 
So disappointing, it was even shown in the UK?

Written By: Timm on 02/08/08 at 12:24 pm

I think part of the problem with remakes is expectations.

In the 80's the "Computerized Talking Car" was fantasy, and with a few blinking lights and voice overs, you could create a fantasy. Well now it's 2008, and that fantasy creation is much more difficult to achieve with current technology being where it is.

We already have cars that talk, have DVDs, GPS, touch screen computers in them. It's not really original anymore, or even sci-fi/fantasy.

As far as it being a Mustang, I don't really car, I think the new prototype Camaro would have been a better choice, and I'm bias because I own a new Mustang, it's far from stock looking(See my avatar) though, but it is nowhere as dorky looking as they made Kitt. They could have done it much better with style if they just tried.

I might check out the first episode see if it has any draw or not, but I'm not overly interested in seeing it.

Written By: Atari on 02/13/08 at 11:36 am

Yes, Im rather fuming. I owned an 82 Firebird a few years back out of my KR interest. The original season 1 was the best for me. After that it got rather silly. Especially the KR2000 movie. I havent watched any of the trailers and dont intend to, nor will I watch it when it comes out. Its a travesty. Leave KR where it was. Leave the 80's where it was. All these 80's rehashes are bloody terrible. I could write a huge long reply stating exactly why the new KR will be crap but I wont. It simply wont be Knight Rider, thats all that needs to be said.

R

You've said all that there needs to be said on the subject of remakes.

It's like if they were to remake Tron...  >:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/19/08 at 6:29 am

Did anyone see it? I missed it.  :P
Is it on YouTube?

Written By: KKay on 02/19/08 at 7:23 am

it looked like an OK show, BUT that actor seems awful.  It will suck.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/19/08 at 8:34 am

The TV movie remake of 1980s series Knight Rider was watched by 12.7m viewers in the US, initial viewing figures show.

Written By: KKay on 02/19/08 at 1:07 pm

The TV movie remake of 1980s series Knight Rider was watched by 12.7m viewers in the US, initial viewing figures show.

it was already on?

Written By: Midas on 02/19/08 at 1:27 pm

it was already on?

The movie was on Sunday night, and I watched part of it only because I was at my sister's house and the nephew was watching it, and it was meh.  Actors sucked.  I won't be watching any series that may come from the movie.  The original KR rules.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/19/08 at 10:53 pm

I hope it flops.  Leave the '80s in the '80s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/08 at 12:39 am

The movie was on Sunday night, and I watched part of it only because I was at my sister's house and the nephew was watching it, and it was meh.  Actors sucked.  I won't be watching any series that may come from the movie.  The original KR rules.
Thanks, that sums it up for, I will not make an effort to view.

Check for new replies or respond here...