inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Question about a song from "A Christmas Story"

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/06/08 at 2:48 pm

Does anyone know who does the version of "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" at the end of the movie?  That's one of my very favorite Christmas songs, and I know it's a little late (or REALLY early) but I'd still like to find it.

Thanks!

Subject: Re: Question about a song from "A Christmas Story"

Written By: ninny on 02/07/08 at 3:24 pm

If you love the movie "A Christmas Story", then you're in for a wonderful surprise.

Now available exclusively at iTunes is "Brian Evans and Peter Billingsley's Christmas Stories and Holiday Songs." The CD, which may be downloaded by users all over the world, features crooner Brian Evans singing those swinging holiday classics such as "Twas The Night Before Christmas" and "Silent Night," while Billingsley, who starred as "Ralphie" in the holiday movie, reads short stories including "Twas The Night Before Christmas" and "Silver Packages." "There's nothing cooler than having the star of "A Christmas Story" read "Twas The Night Before Christmas" to fans of the movie.

The film never really had a soundtrack, so this is a chance for people who like the movie to get something special," says Evans. "The record was actually recorded about five years ago and sat in a closet. One day I just decided it's time to let the public hear it." The CD may be downloaded at iTunes at http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=1459192 25&s=143441, (Due to its length, this URL may need to be copied/pasted into your Internet browser's address field
This is all I could find. I hope it helps

Written By: karen on 02/07/08 at 6:49 pm

I checked IMDB.com but it didn't list that song at all.

I'm not at all familiar with the film so perhaps if you described the version you like it might match up with a version I know

Written By: Timm on 02/08/08 at 9:51 am

Not sure if this helps, but here's the music credits, as vague as they are

Music  Credit
Bing Crosby Song Performer
Deborah Scheufler Band - bandleader
Meredith Wilson Song
Carl Zittrer Music
Sterling Young and His Orchestra Music Performer
Paul J Zaza Music
Jim Sentz Band - bandleader Parma High School Band
The Andrews Sisters Song Performer
Sammy Kaye and His Orchestra Music Performer
J Fred Coots Song
Dizzy Gillespie Song
Frank Morrone Music - music engineer
The Holy Trinity Baptist Church Ensemble Music Performer
Mormon Tabernacle Choir Song Performer
Fred Waring and the Pennsylvanians Song Performer
The Revere High School Band Music Performer
The Parma High School Band Music Performer
The Ohio Boychoir Music Performer
The North East Ohio Salvation Army Band Music Performer

Also, does anyone remember a second movie coming out about them going to the state fair or something, and Ralphie wanted a top, and his father kept saying then, then got a top from some gypsy at the fair.

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/08/08 at 10:39 am

Thanks everyone :) I'm surprised that nothing is available, considering what a classic this movie is.

Written By: karen on 02/12/08 at 1:32 pm

You might like to check out the version by The Weavers.

Arranged by Paul Campbell
Folkways MusicPublishers Inc
1951 MCA Records Inc

It can be found on The Best Christmas ALbum in the World ...Ever CD (1996 Virgin Records)

Written By: Paul on 02/12/08 at 2:16 pm

You might like to check out the version by The Weavers.

Arranged by Paul Campbell
Folkways MusicPublishers Inc
1951 MCA Records Inc

It can be found on The Best Christmas ALbum in the World ...Ever CD (1996 Virgin Records)

Wonderful group, The Weavers...

Sadly, senator Joe McCarthy put his dirty great boot into their career due to their 'UnAmerican activities'... :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...