inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Fish Heads" Barnes & Barnes

Written By: woops on 02/13/08 at 6:05 pm

Personally, it's one of the most absurd music videos of all time and also quite catchy :D

Subject: Re: "Fish Heads" Barnes & Barnes

Written By: nally on 02/13/08 at 6:11 pm

I heard the song for the first time 11 years ago when I attended a Dr. Demento show at Caltech in Pasadena. Pretty funny stuff. ;D

Written By: johnny5alive on 02/13/08 at 9:35 pm

gotta love the good doctor!  ive seen him here, many times ,  he went to collage here, (reed)  also listened to his show since the 70's!  he discovered weird al yankovic, who was sending tapes for him to play on his show!

Written By: saver on 02/13/08 at 9:41 pm

Also, if you follow the song or group, the trivia is one of the singers is Billy Mumy from LOST IN SPACE.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/13/08 at 9:45 pm

I used to listen to Dr. Demento every Sunday night.  I loved that show.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/13/08 at 10:00 pm

Also, if you follow the song or group, the trivia is one of the singers is Billy Mumy from LOST IN SPACE.

Y'know, that explains a lot about the design of the Minbari cruisers in B5...

Written By: whistledog on 02/13/08 at 10:42 pm

I never really know what or who Dr. Demento was, but two songs from his show were popular in Canada:

♦ 'Boys Just Want to Have Sex' by Exude
♦ 'Vanna, Pick Me A Letter' by Dr. Dave

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/14/08 at 12:07 am

I never really know what or who Dr. Demento was, but two songs from his show were popular in Canada:

A lot more than two songs.  He's done more for novelty recording than anyone.  I'm pretty sure Weird Al Yankovic's Canadian sales were OK -- and Demento was the first to air Al's demo tapes.

Demento was a god among men.  It's been thirty years, and he's still doing his weekly show to this day.  If you don't live in an area where his show is aired, you can usually find it on the Intertubes within a day of airing.  If the filenames don't make much sense, use the Demento playlist archive to find out what was aired on any given show and whether or not to download a show or segment.  If you remember a novelty track, odds are good that Demento has aired it, and that it's somewhere in the database. 

Written By: whistledog on 02/14/08 at 2:47 am

I'm pretty sure Weird Al Yankovic's Canadian sales were OK -- and Demento was the first to air Al's demo tapes.

"Weird Al" Yankovic had more Top 40 hits in the Canadian chart then he did in the USA, so he did pretty good up here yes.  I knew Yankovic got his start on Demento's show

Just for the heck of it, here's all the singles of Weird Al that charted in the US and Canadian 100 chart ...

1983 - Ricky
1984 - Eat It
1984 - King of Suede
1984 - I Lost on Jeopardy
1985 - Like A Surgeon
1988 - Fat
1992 - Smells Like Nirvana
1992 - You Don't Love Me Anymore
1994 - Jurassic Park
1996 - Amish Paradise
2006 - White and Nerdy
2006 - Canadian Idiot

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 02/14/08 at 4:33 am

I never understood the appeal of this song... it's just plain bizarre!  :o

Written By: Bobby on 02/14/08 at 3:34 pm

Ha ha, I love this piece of absurdity:

"I took a Fish head
Out to see a movie
Didn't have to pay
To get it in"

As for Dr Demento, I wish I could have heard his DJ slot because he put on some weird and wonderful stuff. He got his name by putting the track 'Transfusion' by Nervous Norvus on his list. Someone said to him 'you've got to be demented to play that' and it stuck.

By the way, for a sick giggle have a listen to 'Transfusion'. It is a funny song about the dangers of drink driving.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/14/08 at 3:35 pm

I LOVE Dr. Demento-used to be a card carrying member of the Demento Society. I have about the first 10 years of the Basement Tapes.

As for Fish Heads-and true "Dementoid" or "Dementite" love that song.  ;D ;D ;D

FYI "Barnes" is none other than Bill Mummy as in "Warning, warning Will Robinson". Yes, he was in the original Lost in Space  series.

Cat 

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/16/08 at 8:26 pm

I love him too, but I can't seem to find him on any radio stations! Oh dear!

I love "Dead Puppies."

I wonder if he ever plays The Residents.

Now THEY'RE demented.

Written By: johnny5alive on 02/17/08 at 10:44 am

he is still on the internet every sunday!  but you must pay for the live streaming! :(

Written By: Bobby on 02/17/08 at 3:36 pm

I love "Dead Puppies."

Now THEY'RE demented.

'Dead Puppies' by The Ogden Edsels was brilliant! Another song to look out for by them is 'Kinko the clown' - it's sick and twisted but so clever, lol.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/17/08 at 3:44 pm

I love "Dead Puppies."

Now THEY'RE demented.

Dead puppies aren't much fun.  :D :D

'Dead Puppies' by The Ogden Edsels was brilliant! Another song to look out for by them is 'Kinko the clown' - it's sick and twisted but so clever, lol.

"Kinko, Kinko, the kid loving clown"  Really, Really.  ;)

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 02/17/08 at 3:52 pm

"Kinko, Kinko, the kid loving clown"  Really, Really.  ;)

Ha ha, it's not just the lyrics, the singer captures perversion in his voice wonderfully.  ;D

Written By: saver on 02/18/08 at 2:04 am

That was sooooo before 'Kinko...the photcopying 'clown I guess?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/19/08 at 11:01 pm

"Fish Heads" was one of the greatest songs in the Dr. Demento canon.  Unlike the majority of Dr. Demento hits, it wasn't spoofing anything and it wouldn't offend your mom.  It was just weeeeeird!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/1blue1.gif

Written By: KKay on 02/20/08 at 6:42 am

you would have thought it was the first song by Elvis.  the song came out, then the vid was on tv and EVERYONE went nuts for it!  It was funny and absurd enough for the times, and catchy enough to sing while you worked....but I don't know, it was as if all of the local youth was desperately waiting for something new and this was it.  it ran like wildfire thru my high school.  there was no MTV or any video channel, but there was a local channel that showed the video once in a while and we were glued to the screen, hoping for an airing.

i still walk around singing this song sometimes. an oldie but goodie.

Check for new replies or respond here...