inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Oil of Olay: Ms Fitzhenry and Bugsy Brown: Hey, don't I know you from somewhere?

Written By: Jeremy on 02/19/08 at 10:33 pm

A friend and I have been arguing over this particular Olay ad for nearly a decade. I maintain it aired in the late 80s. He suggests 90s. Confirm?

A woman walks through an aircraft hangar...

Man: Hey, don't I know you from somewhere?
Woman: That's original.
Man: Emmerson High, 1975, you were in my class.
Woman: I was your teacher.
Man: Ms. Fitzhenry!
Woman: Bugsy Brown.

Subject: Re: Oil of Olay: Ms Fitzhenry and Bugsy Brown: Hey, don't I know you from somewhere?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/19/08 at 10:47 pm

Dude, got me.  I dunno.

Subject: Re: Oil of Olay: Ms Fitzhenry and Bugsy Brown: Hey, don't I know you from somewhere?

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 02/20/08 at 4:16 am

That doesn't sound familiar at all. Hope someone can help you. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/20/08 at 12:39 pm

I looked it up online (in hopes of finding a clip of the commercial on youtube or elsewhere...but wasn't successful)...and I found numerous people reminiscing about it, so it must have existed...but I don't remember it personally.

Written By: Jeremy on 02/21/08 at 6:47 am

It's amazing how so many people I come across remember the commercial intimately, yet there are seemingly so few on the Internet and there is virtually no information regarding it.

I have been in contact with P&G customer service and was flaked off. I have contacted former brand managers who worked with Olay -- no love.

I recently contacted a VP with Olay -- we shall see...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/21/08 at 7:08 am

It's amazing how so many people I come across remember the commercial intimately, yet there are seemingly so few on the Internet and there is virtually no information regarding it.

I have been in contact with P&G customer service and was flaked off. I have contacted former brand managers who worked with Olay -- no love.

I recently contacted a VP with Olay -- we shall see...

ya, I was surprised that youtube didn't have a clip of it, beings that they have clips of nearly every old commercial.

Written By: Gis on 02/21/08 at 7:59 am

We had it in the U.K too. Over here it was called Oil of Ulay, and he wasn't called Bugsy Brown he had a more English name!  ;D

Written By: Satish on 02/23/08 at 2:10 pm

Here's a clip of the ad on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqWxGMqI_SE

A woman is walking through an aircraft hangar and an air force pilot with an Australian accent recognizes her. I remember the ad well.

Sorry, but I can't tell you whether it's from the 80s or 90s. I distinctly remember seeing the ad in the first half of 1990, but I have no idea if it aired any earlier than that.

Subject: Re: Oil of Olay: Ms Fitzhenry and Bugsy Brown: Hey, don't I know you from somewh

Written By: robby76 on 02/24/08 at 9:30 am

I remember it now - the UK one on the You Tube link.

The name changes from year to year and country to country... Olay, Ulay, Ulan, Olaz!  :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/25/08 at 10:28 am

Yes, I totally remember that one. I love retro commercials!

Subject: Re: Oil of Olay: Ms Fitzhenry and Bugsy Brown: Hey, don't I know you from somewh

Written By: baldeep294 on 03/31/08 at 11:51 pm

This commercial is undoubtedly from the 1980's and here is proof the link below:
http://www.inthe80s.com/tvcommercials/o.shtm

pS: I only made an account on this website so i could answer this question
and that's  a lot to ask with my super slow internet connection
(It's worst than dial up) lol

Written By: Tom Young on 04/28/08 at 1:41 pm

I'm not convinced that it was an 80s ad at all. This ad was airing continuously in Canada in late 1991 and early 1992. I was in grade 7 at the time, and a group of friends and I did a skit for a class based on it.

I suppose it's possible it was airing before and then was resurrected, but this seems unlikely to me. Unless the ad came to Canada later than it aired elsewhere...

Check for new replies or respond here...