inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Thriller re-enters the charts around the world over 25 years since its release

Written By: Zoso on 02/20/08 at 1:18 am

Thriller has been re-issued to commemorate its 25th anniversary and it has charted extremely well for a 25 year old album.

#1 in France
#2 in Australia, Germany, Netherlands, Norway and Switzerland
#3 in UK, New Zealand and Portugal
#5 in Ireland
#6 in Poland
#13 in Italy
#21 in Belgium

The only chart that hasn't been updated yet is Billboard. That will be the real test. To see how popular Michael Jackson and Thriller still are in the US. Although I heard it might not be eligible for the Billboard chart since it's older than 2 years. Is this true? Apparently Thriller can only chart on the Top Pop Catalogue albums chart or something.

Subject: Re: Thriller re-enters the charts around the world over 25 years since its release

Written By: whistledog on 02/20/08 at 12:22 pm

Ther eis a single from the album .. A new version of 'Wanna Be Startin' Something 2008' featuring Akon has just entered the singles chart here in Canada.  I can only assume it's charting elsewere also

Subject: Re: Thriller re-enters the charts around the world over 25 years since its relea

Written By: Zoso on 02/20/08 at 10:11 pm

Yes, the single is also charting well worldwide.

Subject: Re: Thriller re-enters the charts around the world over 25 years since its release

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/22/08 at 7:23 pm

Hi Zoso!

It's nice to see a fellow Michaeler on the boards.  :) A friend of mine told me that each album of T25 that gets sold contributes to the overall sales of the (original) Thriller album. So if 2 million albums get sold, it'll bring the total amount of albums sold to somwhere around 106 million. I don't know how true that adding to the original album sales are, but it's pretty cool that the album is faring so well. And I don't know why it hasn't charted in the US. I had to go to two different stores in my town because all the copies had completely sold out in the first store. (I almost kissed the salesman after hearing that!)

I think the US fans are going to come around for Michael. I hope.  :)

Subject: Re: Thriller re-enters the charts around the world over 25 years since its relea

Written By: Zoso on 02/24/08 at 2:13 am

Thriller has charted in the US. It's #1 on the pop catalogue chart. It can't chart on the Billboard 200 because albums more that 2 years old aren't eligible for that chart. It sold something like 160,000 copies in the US in its first week. It's done pretty well.

Written By: whistledog on 02/24/08 at 8:43 am

The 2008 version of 'Beat It' featuring Fergie is new in the Canadian Chart at #77 8)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/25/08 at 10:49 am

I downloaded a few of the songs...sounds pretty good! ;)

Written By: whistledog on 02/25/08 at 12:10 pm

This 25th anniversary of 'Thriller' has debuted at #4 on the Canadian Top 100 Albums chart 8)

Written By: woops on 02/25/08 at 4:37 pm

Akon's remake of "Wanna Be Startin Somethin" is actually good

Though not buying the album since I already have the original 'special edition' CD and not that big a fan of MJ

Written By: Zoso on 02/26/08 at 9:36 am

"For All Time" is a bonus track on Thriller 25th that was an out-take from the original album. Sony has always planned for it to be a single and Michael Jackson fans have known that in weeks or months to come it will be a single. But now rumors are circulating that there will be a music video for it compiled of never-before-seen studio footage from the Thriller sessions as well as footage from the unreleased Human Nature music video. Sounds interesting.

Check for new replies or respond here...