inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Julio Iglesias

Written By: robby76 on 03/04/08 at 9:31 pm

Loved by elderly ladies the world over!  ;D

My Mum loved him throughout the 80s and his 1984 album 1100 Bel Air Place will always be a favourite 80s album of mine because of it. Songs like Moonlight Lady, Me Va, All of You (with Diana Ross) and the Bambou Medley will always take me back.

He also had other hits back then... Begin the Beguine, My Love (with Stevie Wonder) and of course To All The Girls I've Loved Before (with Willie Nelson). I tried to start a poll, but his single discography is hard to come by.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/ff/a7/643c228348a008d744c81110._AA240_.L.jpg

Subject: Re: Julio Iglesias

Written By: whistledog on 03/04/08 at 10:34 pm

'All of You' w/ Diana Ross is still my favourite.  I have that on 45 :)

Written By: Henk on 03/05/08 at 12:05 am

Well, technically his career spans at least three decades, so maybe this shouldn't be in the 1980's section...

He started singing in the early 1970's and hasn't stopped since. I think the first ten years of his career have gone completely unnoticed outside Europe, although he had two #1 songs over here: Un Canto a Galicia (1972) and Quieremo Mucho (1979).

BTW: He could also have been a professional soccer player... In 1970, he was second goal keeper with Real Madrid.

Written By: robby76 on 03/05/08 at 2:30 am

He started singing in the early 1970's and hasn't stopped since.

True - he had his start at Eurovision if I'm correct in thinking. I was going to span his career in "More Than A Decade", but I'm an 80s boy so wanted to focus on the height of his popularity.

Speaking of his 70s hits though, I also love "Abrazame" from 1975.

Written By: karen on 03/05/08 at 11:57 am

Not a fan of his stuff really.

I can still remember an interview shown on British television (either Wogan or Des O'Connor) where he was talking about his new single 'Jaws'.  After closer questioning the interviewere worked out the title was 'Yours'!  Julio's face fell as he realised he needed to re-record the song  ;D

Written By: Henk on 03/05/08 at 2:10 pm

True - he had his start at Eurovision if I'm correct in thinking.

That was the start of his international career, yes. The year was 1970, and he came in 4th place (joined) - although he forgot the lines to his own composition... :o

I was going to span his career in "More Than A Decade", but I'm an 80s boy so wanted to focus on the height of his popularity.

Speaking of his 70s hits though, I also love "Abrazame" from 1975.

I must admit I'm not familiar with that song. :-\\

Written By: robby76 on 03/05/08 at 10:03 pm

I must admit I'm not familiar with that song. :-\\

It's from his album El Amor which I bought off ebay just yesterday as I realised it had yet another memorable song on it "A Veces Tu". Plus you gotta love the whole 70ness going on in the cover with the cream suit and huge whicker chair.  ;D

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31XNNQOBGwL.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...