inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Miami Vice the fashion

Written By: Moon444 on 03/09/08 at 6:29 pm

Miami Vice, I feel was one of the trendiest cop shows to grace 80's television.

The sets were highly colorful and scenes were usually accompanied by popular music.

The show also introduced a new style of clothing for men that became very popular throughout the 80's and into the early 90's. (Pastel colored tee shirts worn under an Italian sports jacket with rolled up sleeves, linen pants, loafer shoes w/no socks and sunglasses.) 

So what did you think about the style of clothing worn on the show, Did you like it or hate it?

I will admit, I liked the style.

Subject: Re: Miami Vice the fashion

Written By: johnny5alive on 03/09/08 at 9:16 pm

i loved miami vice it was very different for the times, and the music was great! they seemed to have picked just the right songs for different parts of the show! and even a few music artists would guest star!  i looked forward to it every friday night! :)

Written By: Spirit of 76 on 03/09/08 at 10:18 pm

I remember when the whole "wearing shoes without socks" trend hit even our little elementary school. Phew!  :P

Written By: Davester on 03/10/08 at 3:44 am

Yeah, boat shoes without socks and white linen dinner jackets with jeans.  I remember all that Vice hype from high school.  Everyone wanted to be cool like Don Johnson, ha..!

Miami Vice wasn't my thing, I wasn't into cops and robbers shows then, although most of my friends loved it...

Written By: karen on 03/10/08 at 10:07 am

I never liked the jackets with the pushed up sleeves look  8-P

Then again I was mainly into wearing black at the time!

Written By: Brigitte on 03/10/08 at 1:24 pm

I liked the cool blues, greens and pink colours on Sonny Crocket but if a regular Joe wore that white jacket with a mint coloured T, I thought it was a bit pretentious.

Written By: Moon444 on 03/10/08 at 4:31 pm

I liked the cool blues, greens and pink colours on Sonny Crocket but if a regular Joe wore that white jacket with a mint coloured T, I thought it was a bit pretentious.

He carried those colors and the style extremely well, but come to think of it, I never seen any regular Joe's walking around back then sporting the full blown Vice look.

Written By: Doc Brown on 03/10/08 at 8:32 pm

He carried those colors and the style extremely well, but come to think of it, I never seen any regular Joe's walking around back then sporting the full blown Vice look.

Seems to me that as much as the show rocked, Sonny & Rico's Italo-casual look could only translate well into sunbelt/coastal cities, but would work in any city as long as you were in the nightclubs! ;)
I've done a lot of writing for a Miami Vice website, and biographed & discographed five of the musicians who guest-starred. I still have to do pages for Willie Nelson & James Brown(RIP), but if the others interest you, click here:
http://www.buyersmls.com/miamivice/musicians.htm Enjoy what you find!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Moon444 on 03/11/08 at 8:27 am

Nice site, Thanks!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/12/08 at 7:41 pm

You'd see guys at the mall with this hair-do evolved from Det. Crockett: Spiky on top, shaggy on sides and back.  What you might now call a "mullet."
::)

Written By: midnite on 03/12/08 at 11:17 pm

Funny that you mention this topic.  I was on vacation in South Beach last weekend and saw an older guy sporting the Miami Vice look in his yellow Ferrari..................

Written By: Stinkyy on 03/16/08 at 10:25 am

If you liked Miami Vice,  you need to check out the website:  www.miami-vice.org .  Great place, photos, etc.  Former crewmembers drop in there,  it's a great community.

Written By: robby76 on 03/16/08 at 10:44 am

Fashion so legendary, they immortalised it in plastic!

Yes these are available in stores now!

http://images.entertainmentearth.com/%5CAUTOIMAGES%5CMZ26000Alg.jpg

Written By: wsmith4 on 03/17/08 at 3:11 pm

Funny that you mention this topic.  I was on vacation in South Beach last weekend and saw an older guy sporting the Miami Vice look in his yellow Ferrari..................

Was he on track?? LOL LOL LOL

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/17/08 at 6:23 pm

Well, if you were dressed as your avatar, you'd fit right in. 

You don't see many Italian sports cars up here in New England, the winters here are murder on cars here from salty roads to canyon-sized potholes, to oxidization and constant moisture, not the kind of place you want to drive a 200,000 piece of machinery unless the government paid for it! 

But, like, seriously dude, I thought anybody who could actually afford a Ferrari would have a little more class than the Miami Vice look!
;D

Written By: cease1 on 08/31/08 at 8:31 pm

i loved Miami vice it was very different for the times, and the music was great! they seemed to have picked just the right songs for different parts of the show! and even a few music artists would guest star!  i looked forward to it every Friday night! :)
I always loved that show from the pilot till the final episode.  Crockett and Tubbs were too cool.  Dude had a testarosa, a cigarette boat and a crock named Elvis. How cool is that?  there will never be another decade like the 80"s  I was so blessed to be able to be apart of that time.  I hear kids that never got to experience that period in time talk about how they wished they were there.  I was and it was great!!! :)

Written By: Shacks Train on 09/01/08 at 11:06 pm

Yup it was fashionable to not shave & wear your loud shirt inside out!!!
I enjoyed the show but the actor that played the captain must have done many a bottles of "Valium".I began to believe in Zombies watching him act......Just like Captian Pike off S/Trek .....The show constantly kept overlaying the fact "Crocker" was an ex-football star so not to giver the viewers the impression "he may be on the take!".The shows creater hit the nail on the head for those times!

Not many TV shows are known for creating fandom.(clothes/music/fans playing dress-up)
Love it - Hate it
It was what it was & The Mob had its heyday with the show!
The show came awfully close to being like the "Rocky Horror" following!!!!

Written By: Class of 84 on 09/02/08 at 11:33 pm

Luved the show and the fashion, yet again another classic that defined the 80's.. I remember watching the pilot episode in the student hall at college with a bunch of us, and we were all going on about how cool it was......I can still recall Lindsay Buckingham's "go insane" playing for one of the promo's.

Check for new replies or respond here...