inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1981 brings us the movie: HEAVY METAL

Written By: KKay on 03/27/08 at 9:30 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGwn_0k_TQo

Just like everyone else, saw it.  It was the biggest thing ever at the time.

I was just watching some of it on YouTube and it was sooooooo slow.

any lovers of the film?

Subject: Re: 1981 brings us the movie: HEAVY METAL

Written By: Davester on 03/27/08 at 11:24 pm

It was big at the time, no doubt.  In a nutshell, I was supposed to see this one evening.  I described it as a cartoon.  We went to the theater.  Walked up to the box office.  Parents noticed it was rated 'R'.  "No way you're seeing this movie."  Bought tickets for some other movie.  I didn't watch Heavy Metal, in it's entirety, untill the '90s...

Eh, it was okay.  That animation is crazy... 

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/28/08 at 10:10 pm

It was big at the time, no doubt.  In a nutshell, I was supposed to see this one evening.  I described it as a cartoon.  We went to the theater.  Walked up to the box office.  Parents noticed it was rated 'R'.  "No way you're seeing this movie."  Bought tickets for some other movie.  I didn't watch Heavy Metal, in it's entirety, untill the '90s...

"What the hell are you all laughing to hard about?"

"We're just takin' a break and watchin' this cartoon Dad rented for us!"

If Mom didn't know the difference between Felix the Cat and Fritz the Cat, neither I, nor the rest of my D&D playing friends, nor Dad, was gonna tell her the difference.

Written By: Atari on 03/28/08 at 11:39 pm

I love it. It's still one of my favorite movies. It's pacing and animation are just part of its awesome 80s charm.

Of course, I can't stand 99% of today's spoon-fed storied, directed-by-kindergardners and marketeers movies, so I'm a bit biased...

Written By: Tia on 03/29/08 at 6:55 pm

i had the double album soundtrack. it kicked ass. who remembers "radar rider" by riggs? that was the song under the opening titles, as i remember, with the astronaut going through space in the 50s car. so kickass!

they had some rights issues, i assume with the soundtrack, so it took forever for the dvd to come out but it did eventually, a couple years ago.

Written By: KKay on 03/31/08 at 7:35 am

did you see the south park episode where sniffin cat pee takes you to the land of Heavy metal and kenny fights kyle's dad for the princess' boobs.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/31/08 at 12:53 pm

No, but I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Written By: Atari on 03/31/08 at 1:01 pm

did you see the south park episode where sniffin cat pee takes you to the land of Heavy metal and kenny fights kyle's dad for the princess' boobs.

Yeah! I was reading, not really watching it, but I heard the song playing and looked up. "NO WAY!", I screamed and the kid woke up :(

But yeah, it was pretty ingenius and funny.

Written By: wsmith4 on 03/31/08 at 3:09 pm

I saw this in 1997 and it was just about the scariest movie I've ever seen.  2 many boobies.

Written By: woops on 06/10/09 at 10:01 pm

"Den" and "Taarna" were good, though most were OK

Check for new replies or respond here...