inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone like Bruce Hornsby?

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/28/08 at 7:32 am

I'm not a major fan, but I love that The Way it is album. It's some of the more unique '80s music, it's almost like softer alternative pop!

"Every Little Kiss" is so catchy and seems like the perfect picture of New England (i.e. "When the day goes down on the water town, when the sun sinks low all around"). Of course that's from looking on it now. Back in 1987 it just reminded me of playing The Legend of Zelda and stuff, lol.

Subject: Re: Anyone like Bruce Hornsby?

Written By: Bobby on 03/28/08 at 5:43 pm

Yep, I like Bruce Hornsby and the Range. Every little kiss, Mandolin rain and, of course, The Way it is. The piano playing is mesmerising. :)

Written By: nally on 03/28/08 at 5:44 pm

Yes, "The Way It Is" is a great song. ^Agreed on the piano...it's pleasant to listen to. :)

Written By: woops on 03/28/08 at 6:16 pm

As a teenager, I was only familiar with "The Way It Is"  sampled from a TuPac song... though didn't know it was an actual song

Written By: whistledog on 03/28/08 at 7:36 pm

Bruce Hornsby played Piano on Don Henley's smash hit "The End of the Innocence"

Hornsby was very popular in Canada where he had two #1 hits with 'The Way it Is' (1986) and 'Across the River' (1990) and a #2 hit with 'The Valley Road' (1988)

He is a very talented piano player.  I really enjoy all his work :)

Written By: gibbo on 03/28/08 at 7:42 pm

Yep, I like Bruce Hornsby and the Range. Every little kiss, Mandolin rain and, of course, The Way it is. The piano playing is mesmerising. :)

Yes, I remember Bruce Hornsby and The Range....but only The Way It Is comes to mind. It was a great song and the fact that it still comes to mind after all these years and I associate it with the band name shows it made a lasting impression.....

Written By: Doc Brown on 03/29/08 at 1:52 am

I did and still do like Bruce Hornsby. At the time I was more partial to the Scenes From The Southside album, but all 3 Range albums are good. Many people don't know that Huey Lewis kinda gave Bruce & the Range their break, co-producing The Way It Is (You can hear him singing backup & playing harmonica on "Down The Road Tonight"), and inviting them to open up for the News on tour. Bruce returned the favors by writing Huey's #1 single "Jacob's Ladder" and performing on their Small World album.

Bruce can also be heard playing piano on Bonnie Raitt's Luck Of The Draw, particularly on the single "I Can't Make You Love Me". She sang backup on his Harbor Lights, and other famous names that contributed to Bruce's solo debut include Branford Marsalis(sax), Phil Collins(percussion & backing vocals), and the late great Jerry Garcia(guitar). The Range broke up in the early 90's, but Bruce is still recording cool albums with his jazz-rock-bluegrass mix that's come to be known as the "Virginia Sound". I highly recommend Harbor Lights, Hot House, and Halcyon Days.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/29/08 at 3:00 am

Yeah, I really like him/them (the range).  I like all the hits, but my favorite song by him currently comes off of Scenes From The Southside album  - The song is called "Walk in the sun".  http://new.music.yahoo.com/videos/--2160292#

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/29/08 at 4:37 pm

It was brought to my attention that the song I liked came from a different album then I had thought.  "Walk in the sun" came from 1995's album Hot House.  I was half asleep when I posted my above post, but at least I did manage to post the right link to the right song video.  I should get at least half credit for that.  ;D  ;)

Written By: Tia on 03/29/08 at 6:56 pm

i liked bruce hornsby. he seemed like he only had that one trick, the real tinkly dextrous piano song with lots of legato pedal on it, but he did it well so...

Written By: Bobby on 03/30/08 at 3:49 pm

Yes, I remember Bruce Hornsby and The Range....but only The Way It Is comes to mind. It was a great song and the fact that it still comes to mind after all these years and I associate it with the band name shows it made a lasting impression.....

'The way it is' was definitely the song everybody remembers and, like in a thread mentioned about The Police recently, Bruce Hornsby and The Range were not a typical 80s band.

In fact, I'm going to listen to that song now and bask in the magic.  8)

Written By: Entouch on 03/30/08 at 8:33 pm

Hi everyone (new member here) of course "Mandolin Rain" is one of my favorites, but I heard he played back up musician for Sheena Easton he appeared in the video "Sugar Walls" dont know if that was him though. :-[

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/31/08 at 12:55 pm

The song The Way It Is, is one of my favorite songs, of all time.

Check for new replies or respond here...