inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was "Charles in Charge" like?

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/28/08 at 7:41 am

I've never seen an episode, but I've peripherally heard about it. It seems like one of the few early-mid '80s sitcoms that's more in line with something like Full House or Growing Pains (most televison from then seems pretty bland to me, even if music was the best).

Scott Baio seemed kinda like the Kirk Cameron of his era from the little bits I know.

Subject: Re: What was "Charles in Charge" like?

Written By: whistledog on 03/28/08 at 8:11 am

You never saw the show? :O

Scott Baio played a college student who worked as a live-in babysitter for two different families:  In Season 1 (1984-1985), it was the Pembrooke family.  In the Syndicated version (1987-1990), it was the Powell family.  Charles wasn't overly strict, and was a cool, fun guy that everyone loved. 

His best friend Buddy Lembeck (played by Willie Aames) was a very horny guy who always had sex on his mind ;D

In a way, Charles in Charge was a bit reminiscent to Gimme A Break ...  a babysitter who lived downstairs and looked after the children. 

Written By: Midas on 03/28/08 at 9:50 am

I can't believe Chachi In Charge was on the air as long as it was.  8-P

Written By: Jessica on 03/28/08 at 9:53 am

Charles In Charge was a bigger piece of crap than Small Wonder.

Written By: Midas on 03/28/08 at 9:55 am

Oh come on now...they were equal in size as far as being big pieces of crap.  :D

Written By: Jessica on 03/28/08 at 9:57 am

Oh come on now...they were equal in size as far as being big pieces of crap.  :D

And the theme songs! Oh god......those were even worse.

Written By: Tia on 03/28/08 at 10:32 am

small wonder at least had the creepout factor with the spooky android chick who went on to become a born-again christian. Chucky Blows Chunx was just a conspiracy designed to make people hit the channel changer on their remotes.

Written By: Tia on 03/28/08 at 10:32 am

okay, "Chucky Blows Chunx" doesn't even vaguely resemble "Charles in Charge." still, i feel my point is made. i think.

Written By: Davester on 03/28/08 at 10:34 am

Never watched a single episode.  Chunx was chick stuff, man...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/28/08 at 11:04 am

I loved Charles In Charge!! Yes..it was cheesy, but that's what was so delightful about it. :) :D

Written By: ninny on 03/28/08 at 12:59 pm

Charles liked being in charge of Jamie (Nicole Eggert)

Written By: johnbender on 03/28/08 at 3:47 pm

The best things about Charles In Charge was Nicole Eggert and Josie Davis

Written By: woops on 03/28/08 at 6:16 pm

One of the worst sitcoms of the 1980's, though wasn't a good decade for tv except for MTV & "Married with Children"

Written By: whistledog on 03/28/08 at 7:22 pm

I loved Charles In Charge!! Yes..it was cheesy, but that's what was so delightful about it. :) :D

I agree exactly.  It was a great show and one day soon I'm going to get the DVD sets (S1 and S2 are available)

Written By: coqueta83 on 03/28/08 at 7:55 pm

I watched a handful of episodes during its syndicated run....I never really got into it, though.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/28/08 at 11:08 pm

I agree exactly.  It was a great show and one day soon I'm going to get the DVD sets (S1 and S2 are available)

awesome!

Written By: robby76 on 03/28/08 at 11:10 pm

For years growing up I would always remember the theme tune. I only ever watched the first 1984 season with the Pembrokes, so that's the one I bought (and still enjoy) on dvd. Not too keen on the later years but that's only cos I never watched them. I think there was a 3 year gap between season 1 and 2, which explains my loss of interest.

And stop the Small Wonder bashing!!!  ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/29/08 at 11:51 am

It was cheesy goodness. I loved it.

I really wish the Small Wonder bashing would stop, lol, especially from those too young to have an opinion on it.

Written By: whistledog on 03/29/08 at 6:14 pm

For years growing up I would always remember the theme tune. I only ever watched the first 1984 season with the Pembrokes, so that's the one I bought (and still enjoy) on dvd. Not too keen on the later years but that's only cos I never watched them. I think there was a 3 year gap between season 1 and 2, which explains my loss of interest.

Charles in Charge was originally cancelled after it's first season.  It was picked up for Syndication for the 1986 season where it aired for a further 3 seasons

This same fate also happened to Mama's Family, only it was cancelled after 2 seasons, and it's Syndicated run lasted 4 seasons

Written By: Tia on 03/29/08 at 6:51 pm

I really wish the Small Wonder bashing would stop, lol, especially from those too young to have an opinion on it.
i'm old enough to have seen it, but i have to admit i only watched little snippets of it here and there, long enough to ascertain that the android girl was not, in fact, kim richards. in fairness, it's possible it's a work of subtle genius and i'm being completely unfair to it, and yet i believe i will continue to bash it.  :P it's rather fun.

Written By: snozberries on 03/30/08 at 12:10 pm

If someone put  a gun to my head and said choose Charles in Charge or Small Wonder I'd pick Charles in Charge....

for that matter if someone put a gun to my head and said choose Charles in Charge or Full House the end result would be the same.

Actually I think CIC was a like Full House in the feel of it. You know nice family faced weekly problems and someone had to fix them... I preferred the first season because I liked the Pembrokes. I thought the kids were you know real. I especially liked the way Michael Perlman's character looked up to Charles.

I wasn't a fan of the new kids.  and Willie Aames was pretty annoying as Charles' sidekick Buddy...but it's exactly what you'd expect it to be for an 80s sitcom..... superficial with lots of AWWW moments. 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/31/08 at 12:56 pm

The best things about Charles In Charge was Nicole Eggert and Josie Davis

I would have to agree with you, on that one.

Written By: Atari on 03/31/08 at 1:02 pm

If someone put  a gun to my head and said choose Charles in Charge or Small Wonder I'd pick Charles in Charge....

for that matter if someone put a gun to my head and said choose Charles in Charge or Full House the end result would be the same.

Actually I think CIC was a like Full House in the feel of it. You know nice family faced weekly problems and someone had to fix them... I preferred the first season because I liked the Pembrokes. I thought the kids were you know real. I especially liked the way Michael Perlman's character looked up to Charles.

I wasn't a fan of the new kids.  and Willie Aames was pretty annoying as Charles' sidekick Buddy...but it's exactly what you'd expect it to be for an 80s sitcom..... superficial with lots of AWWW moments. 

Never got into the show that much, but I met Scott Baio at Autorama one year. Nice guy :)

Written By: Tia on 03/31/08 at 1:05 pm

Never got into the show that much, but I met Scott Baio at Autorama one year. Nice guy :)
it would be hard for me not to ask scott baio if he ever saw mst3k. they used to make fun of him kind of a lot.

Written By: Midas on 03/31/08 at 1:47 pm

NEVAH!  :D  Then again I was old enough to have an opinion onnit.  8-P

i'm old enough to have seen it, but i have to admit i only watched little snippets of it here and there, long enough to ascertain that the android girl was not, in fact, kim richards. in fairness, it's possible it's a work of subtle genius and i'm being completely unfair to it, and yet i believe i will continue to bash it.  :P it's rather fun.

The only evidence of Small Wonder being a work of a subtle genius is that somebody actually likes the show.  To each their own.  :)

Written By: Satish on 03/31/08 at 2:45 pm

I've only seen the syndicated episodes with the Powell family. I didn't even know the season with the Pembrooke family existed until some time later. I had a feeling that there was something that came before, though, since in the first episode of the syndicated version, Charles and Buddy walk into the house and act as if they know the place, even though they don't know the new family.

Written By: wsmith4 on 03/31/08 at 3:02 pm

I want charles in charge of me

Written By: snozberries on 03/31/08 at 5:30 pm

I want charles in charge of me

of your days and your nights 

;D

Written By: mary on 03/31/08 at 7:43 pm

I've only seen the syndicated episodes with the Powell family. I didn't even know the season with the Pembrooke family existed until some time later. I had a feeling that there was something that came before, though, since in the first episode of the syndicated version, Charles and Buddy walk into the house and act as if they know the place, even though they don't know the new family.

the pembrook family moved to seattle and subletted the house to the powells charles was recommended to the powells by the pembrook family

Written By: lemonverbina on 04/02/08 at 2:15 pm

I watched Charles in Charge but was never a big fan. Can anyone tell me WHY Buddy became so stupid ?? He wasnt like that in the beginning. It was annoying after a while.

Written By: snozberries on 04/02/08 at 2:49 pm

I watched Charles in Charge but was never a big fan. Can anyone tell me WHY Buddy became so stupid ?? He wasnt like that in the beginning. It was annoying after a while.

odd I just remember him as always being stupid... I hate when they do that tho change characters from what they were in the beginning

they did that with Jackie on Roseanne too... she was cool in season one and wimpy from season 2 on

Written By: lemonverbina on 04/02/08 at 4:36 pm

Wow, I have to look into that Snozberries regarding Jackie. The characters they changed for the better were both on Seinfeld..George and Kramer. I hated both of them in the early years of Seinfeld.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/02/08 at 10:21 pm

I've seen a few re-runs before. It's really not all that bad of a show, despite being extremely cheesy ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/05/08 at 2:32 pm

^ Is it like a "cheesier", more exclusively '80s-styled Full House in a way? That's probably my alltime favorite show, so I'm sure I'd like CIC too if it's similar.

That's right, I forgot that it actually came back with a different family the second time around. That confused me beforehand I think, lol. I have to admit that television is the one area of the '80s I'm kinda not as clued in or experienced about. Even the later decade shows (when sitcoms kinda came back to popularity circa 1987) I didn't see until the early-mid 90s.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/05/08 at 2:40 pm

I never liked Charles in Charge growing up in the 80s.  I think that show is corny.  I watcj Growing Pains or Mr. Belvedere before I watch that corny show.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/05/08 at 4:54 pm

^ Is it like a "cheesier", more exclusively '80s-styled Full House in a way? That's probably my alltime favorite show, so I'm sure I'd like CIC too if it's similar.

That's right, I forgot that it actually came back with a different family the second time around. That confused me beforehand I think, lol. I have to admit that television is the one area of the '80s I'm kinda not as clued in or experienced about. Even the later decade shows (when sitcoms kinda came back to popularity circa 1987) I didn't see until the early-mid 90s.

I haven't seen an episode in a couple of years, but the way I remember it, it was sort of like Full House in terms of how cheesy it was. There not exactly the same, but if you like Full House you should certainly like Charles In Charge.

Yeah, the period from about 1981-1987 was a pretty dead period for sitcoms. Especially when you compare it to the '70s and '90s, which are probably the two all-time best decade's for sitcoms.

Written By: Shacks Train on 06/02/08 at 12:49 am

The USA should use shows with Scott Bao to jam enemy comunications before invading!
Jam all comunications & have Charles in Charge running 24/7....With in a week the entire nation would surrender with out a shot fired!

The only thing true about his new show is that he's a looser! ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...