inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I miss being a child in the 80s

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/01/08 at 3:28 am

I was watching some old cartoons like Looney Tunes, The Smurfs, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Jem, and all the cartoons that I used to watch in the 80s.  Don't worry, you're never too old for cartoons, especially when it comes to Looney Tunes!!! :D  What I'm trying to say is that when I watch these cartoons, I be reminiscing back when I was a child and preteen when life was simple.  You didn't have to pay bills. You didn't have to go through racism because you were too young to know about it.  You didn't have to worry about boys until you went to junior high school.  I miss my youth. Even though I went through some very rough times, I still miss my childhood.  It was the time when it was safe to play outside.  It was the time when it was simple.  It was free.  The only thing that you have to worry about was kids picking on you and homework.  Damn I miss the 80s.

Subject: Re: I miss being a child in the 80s

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/01/08 at 3:32 am

Someone uploaded a whole bunch of original Strawberry Shortcake cartoons on You Tube.  I thought I'd never see them again.  They also have Snorks.  I like getting up on Saturday Morning turning on the computer and watching cartoons.  Now if they just had the good cereal back I would never ask for anything again. :)

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 3:41 am

It must be April fools Nicolette is back.....Hey there!

I miss those days too mostly because they respected youth and took the time to put those kinds of shows on...if it were for Nickelodeon and disney...there'd be few, if any animated shows for kids now a days.

Man I totally rocked the Chipmunks back in the day,...never mind that I was in high school at the time. I think it was that blend of pop culture that I loved so much. They were animated characters but they were singing contemporary songs, songs that if I turned off the show and turned on the radio I was destined to hear anyway. 

I worship Jem. I used to work graveyards at Toys R Us and would get home about 730 or 8. I used to force myself to stay awake because Jem was on at something like 830, 9 or 930- right after GI Joe.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/01/08 at 4:00 am

I know what you mean.  I miss waking up on Saturday mornings, sitting in front of the television and eating a big bowl of sugary cereal. I miss watching SchoolHouseRock.  I miss watching toys commercial in between cartoons.  Life was simple back then.  You know what I like about cartoons?  I like the fact that the cartoons are timeless and you're never too old for them.  You can look back and appreciate where you came from.  I feel so sorry for the children today.  Kids are not kids anymore.  Nowadays kids are like adults trapped in kid's body.  Back then, kids were kids, adults were adults.  Even though it was crack, AIDS, and Reganomincs in the 80s, it was also a good decade as a child.  I don't know but it seems like the the 1980s is a decade for kids and teenagers or something.  I don't know maybe it's just me.

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 4:03 am

I know what you mean.  I miss waking up on Saturday mornings, sitting in front of the television and eating a big bowl of sugary cereal. I miss watching SchoolHouseRock.  I miss watching toys commercial in between cartoons.  Life was simple back then.  You know what I like about cartoons?  I like the fact that the cartoons are timeless and you're never too old for them.  You can look back and appreciate where you came from.  I feel so sorry for the children today.  Kids are not kids anymore.  Nowadays kids are like adults trapped in kid's body.  Back then, kids were kids, adults were adults.  Even though it was crack, AIDS, and Reganomincs in the 80s, it was also a good decade as a child.  I don't know but it seems like the the 1980s is a decade for kids and teenagers or something.  I don't know maybe it's just me.

yeah I wasn't all that worried about reganonmics....and every time someone said Star Wars I thought they were talking about the movie  ;D  okay I was pretty dumb... but I enjoyed not knowing. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/01/08 at 4:08 am

As a child I thought Reagan was a "god-like" figure.  I cried when Hinkley nailed him.  Now I'm a nasty old Liberal Democrat who watches the Snorks.

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 4:09 am

As a child I thought Reagan was a "god-like" figure.  I cried when Hinkley nailed him.  Now I'm a nasty old Liberal Democrat who watches the Snorks.

;D

now that's what I call growing up!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/01/08 at 4:12 am

;D

now that's what I call growing up!

Yep, and I still want to be like Punky Brewster.  Only with a job that has a 401k and health insurance.  Why?  Cause I never lost my PUNKY POWER!!!

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 4:16 am

Yep, and I still want to be like Punky Brewster.  Only with a job that has a 401k and health insurance.  Why?  Cause I never lost my PUNKY POWER!!!

can I be cherie?  ;D

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/01/08 at 4:18 am

I'm a Democrat myself.  Well, I'm glad that I was only a child and a preteen in the 80s.  I thought that Reagan was a good President until I got older and find out that he's a Republican, and didn't care about the black community.  So much things to know about when you get older.  I grew up in a middle class mixed neighborhood at the time, so I didn't experienced being poor and in the ghetto.  GROWING UP SUCKS!!!!!  

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/01/08 at 4:20 am

can I be cherie?  ;D

Yes, but who will be Alan and Margo? :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 4:21 am

Yes, but who will be Alan and Margo? :-\\

and Brandon the Wonder dog....

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/01/08 at 4:25 am

and Brandon the Wonder dog....

Are we going to get into who will play all the kids at Fenster Hall?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/01/08 at 4:27 am

I'm a Democrat myself.  Well, I'm glad that I was only a child and a preteen in the 80s.  I thought that Reagan was a good President until I got older and find out that he's a Republican, and didn't care about the black community.  So much things to know about when you get older.  I grew up in a middle class mixed neighborhood at the time, so I didn't experienced being poor and in the ghetto.  GROWING UP SUCKS!!!!! 

I don't even think I realized that Reagan didn't care about the average citizen be they black or white.  It's all mentally fuzzy sort of mythology we went through with him

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 4:32 am

I don't even think I realized that Reagan didn't care about the average citizen be they black or white.  It's all mentally fuzzy sort of mythology we went through with him

maybe those were "sympathy pains" since he was going all mentally fuzzy himself  ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/01/08 at 4:35 am

maybe those were "sympathy pains" since he was going all mentally fuzzy himself  ;D

I suppose you're right.

Wasn't he nominated for best actor for his Presidency?  Academy Awards of course Ronnie's too high and mighty to do TV.

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 4:41 am

I suppose you're right.

Wasn't he nominated for best actor for his Presidency?  Academy Awards of course Ronnie's too high and mighty to do TV.

The role of Dan Quayle is now played by George W. Bush  ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/01/08 at 4:43 am

The role of Dan Quayle is now played by George W. Bush  ;D

You know they both have trouble spelling. ;D

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 4:44 am

You know they both have trouble spelling. ;D

and both are big on "family values"  Boy that whole Murphy Brown is a single mother scandal was riveting...talk about being out of touch with reality.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/01/08 at 4:49 am

and both are big on "family values"  Boy that whole Murphy Brown is a single mother scandal was riveting...talk about being out of touch with reality.

Oh yes, Murphy Brown.  Don't think Quail ever apologized to the millions of single Mom's who were collectively saying What the hell???

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 5:03 am

Oh yes, Murphy Brown.  Don't think Quail ever apologized to the millions of single Mom's who were collectively saying What the hell???

It did give us a really great hour of Murphy Brown tho... that moment when they collected real single moms and laid into him... yeah I loved that moment.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/01/08 at 5:06 am

It did give us a really great hour of Murphy Brown tho... that moment when they collected real single moms and laid into him... yeah I loved that moment.

Just think it was all before in vitro fertilization became a main stream procedure.  Wonder what he'd say now.

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 5:09 am

Just think it was all before in vitro fertilization became a main stream procedure.  Wonder what he'd say now.

when's the last time he was interviewed?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/01/08 at 5:10 am

when's the last time he was interviewed?

NPR did an interview with him like 3 years ago.  Didn't get to hear it all.  He's a college professor in Indiana now.

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 5:11 am

NPR did an interview with him like 3 years ago.  Didn't get to hear it all.  He's a college professor in Indiana now.

Road trip!!! we could go ask and ask him.

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 5:12 am

WAIT!!!

did you say professor?!?  Of what... If he was teaching my class I'd demand a refund on my tuition. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/01/08 at 5:15 am

WAIT!!!

did you say professor?!?  Of what... If he was teaching my class I'd demand a refund on my tuition. 

Yes, Political Science.  It's Indiana, I think he can get away with it.  Of course he could never stand teaching in California.

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 5:16 am

Yes, Political Science.  It's Indiana, I think he can get away with it.  Of course he could never stand teaching in California.

he'd so be ridiculed in CA.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/01/08 at 5:18 am

he'd so be ridiculed in CA.

Yep, and no corn fields to hide in.

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 5:20 am

Yep, and no corn fields to hide in.

welll as a child teen of the 80s I would never ever be caught dead hiding in a corn field.... I guess if I hid in a corn field in the 80s then being caught dead is the only possible ending.......okay i'd never be caught in a corn field period.... ha I think I'm getting tired. I hope that all made sense.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/01/08 at 5:22 am

welll as a child teen of the 80s I would never ever be caught dead hiding in a corn field.... I guess if I hid in a corn field in the 80s then being caught dead is the only possible ending.......okay i'd never be caught in a corn field period.... ha I think I'm getting tired. I hope that all made sense.

Your reference to Children OF The Corn makes perfect sense.  I think he was probably one of those little blood thirst brats in the movie.  Of course that's my own opinion.

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 5:24 am

Your reference to Children OF The Corn makes perfect sense.  I think he was probably one of those little blood thirst brats in the movie.  Of course that's my own opinion.

"Malachai" man that voice creeped me out.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/01/08 at 5:26 am

"Malachai" man that voice creeped me out.

I just remember the crucifixion and some of the kids cringing.  Almost like they had a conscience or something.

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 5:28 am

I just remember the crucifixion and some of the kids cringing.  Almost like they had a conscience or something.

kind of like those people at Jonestown who regretted drinking the Koolaid at the last minute.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/01/08 at 5:29 am

kind of like those people at Jonestown who regretted drinking the Koolaid at the last minute.

One of those great OPPS moments.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/01/08 at 5:36 am

Yeah, I didn't know that he was a bastard and a Republican until I got older.  That's a good thing about being a kid and a preteen.  You didn't care because you were being a kid.  I think being a child is the most innocent part of your life, but we can't stay young forever which I think that it sucks.

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 5:41 am

Yeah, I didn't know that he was a bastard and a Republican until I got older.  That's a good thing about being a kid and a preteen.  You didn't care because you were being a kid.  I think being a child is the most innocent part of your life, but we can't stay young forever which I think that it sucks.

do you remember when your "innocence" was shattered? 

I do....

1) was 1981  Adam Walsh kidnapping... I learned that bad things happen to kids
2) 1982  Was called that word for the first time

but having said that... I still remained quite immature.... I think those moments led to glimpses that I was going to have to grow up soon  so I regressed and retreated into pop culture watching tons of tv shows where nothing really bad happened to people.  at the same time I was obsessed with rape, kidnappings and once people started talking about it...domestic violence...don't forget the 80s gave birth to what we now lovingly refer to as the Lifetime movie...so  I kept fluxuating between the two worlds....then again I have 10 years or so on you....

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/01/08 at 6:46 am

do you remember when your "innocence" was shattered? 

I do....

1) was 1981  Adam Walsh kidnapping... I learned that bad things happen to kids
2) 1982  Was called that word for the first time

but having said that... I still remained quite immature.... I think those moments led to glimpses that I was going to have to grow up soon  so I regressed and retreated into pop culture watching tons of tv shows where nothing really bad happened to people.  at the same time I was obsessed with rape, kidnappings and once people started talking about it...domestic violence...don't forget the 80s gave birth to what we now lovingly refer to as the Lifetime movie...so  I kept fluxuating between the two worlds....then again I have 10 years or so on you....

I was touched, but I wasn't penetrated.  I was 8 at the time in 1985, but thankfully, I told them what happened, but nevertheless, it didn't stop me from enjoying being a child.

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 6:49 am

I was touched, but I wasn't penetrated.  I was 8 at the time in 1985, but thankfully, I told them what happened, but nevertheless, it didn't stop me from enjoying being a child.

okay that wasn't what I meant... I mean if you feel comfortable sharing that then that's cool... I guess I just meant when was the illusion that things weren't so simple broken... I guess about the same time... okay its a loaded question.... I shouldn't try to think at 445 in the morning...

sorry that totally sucks. 

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/01/08 at 8:47 am

Nicole, I have to say that you are one my very favorite posters and I'm glad to see this thread from you.

I see the thread has taken on a more serious tone and I'm very sorry to hear about what happened to you as a child.

That being said, I feel the same exact way you do, in response to your 1st comment in this thread.  The 80's was just a better time, period.  I miss it so much.  When I'm at work (like I am now) and totally bummed that I have to be here, it's fun for me to retreat back to my memories as a child, a time when I didn't have to worry about so many things, a time when all I had to do with my free time (after school) was play.  I'd love to wake up on Saturday morning and sit, indian style, in front of the TV in my pajamas and wait for my mom to bring me my french toast and apple juice and Flintstones vitamin (LOL).  Of course, that would be a little strange as an adult, but that's what's so tragic about it all.  Those days fade away and you can never get them back.  Sometimes I get so wrapped up in missing my childhood that I almost feel like my memories are tangible, like there is some way that I will actually be able to relive those moments... and than I flash back to the reality that those times are forever gone... they are now, quite simply, just images that are stored in my brain.  They're not a physical thing that can be reached.  It's sad, and I'm being a little dramatic, but when it all comes down to it, it's all just memory.  But thank God we at least have that.

Written By: robby76 on 04/01/08 at 9:01 am

... in front of the TV in my pajamas and wait for my mom to bring me my french toast and apple juice and Flintstones vitamin (LOL).

Who are you - me???

My Mum's one and only speciality is french toast and a Flintstone vitamin was a daily occurrence of crunchy goodness!

However I was more of a lie down on the floor kinda kid when it came to Saturday morning toons.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/01/08 at 9:06 am

okay that wasn't what I meant... I mean if you feel comfortable sharing that then that's cool... I guess I just meant when was the illusion that things weren't so simple broken... I guess about the same time... okay its a loaded question.... I shouldn't try to think at 445 in the morning...

sorry that totally sucks. 

Well, I guess when I was in my teens.

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/01/08 at 9:07 am

Who are you - me???

My Mum's one and only speciality is french toast and a Flintstone vitamin was a daily occurrence of crunchy goodness!

However I was more of a lie down on the floor kinda kid when it came to Saturday morning toons.

HAHAHA those were the days!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/01/08 at 9:14 am

Nicolette, I have to say that you are one my very favorite posters and I'm glad to see this thread from you.

I see the thread has taken on a more serious tone and I'm very sorry to hear about what happened to you as a child.

That being said, I feel the same exact way you do, in response to your 1st comment in this thread.  The 80's was just a better time, period.  I miss it so much.  When I'm at work (like I am now) and totally bummed that I have to be here, it's fun for me to retreat back to my memories as a child, a time when I didn't have to worry about so many things, a time when all I had to do with my free time (after school) was play.  I'd love to wake up on Saturday morning and sit, indian style, in front of the TV in my pajamas and wait for my mom to bring me my french toast and apple juice and Flintstones vitamin (LOL).  Of course, that would be a little strange as an adult, but that's what's so tragic about it all.  Those days fade away and you can never get them back.  Sometimes I get so wrapped up in missing my childhood that I almost feel like my memories are tangible, like there is some way that I will actually be able to relive those moments... and than I flash back to the reality that those times are forever gone... they are now, quite simply, just images that are stored in my brain.  They're not a physical thing that can be reached.  It's sad, and I'm being a little dramatic, but when it all comes down to it, it's all just memory.  But thank God we at least have that.

that brought back such vivid memories for me! Those Flintstone vitamins were the best! My mom would make her famous yummy pancakes..and my sisters and I would sit there and watch our favorite toons. There was nothing like a few pancakes, a tall glass of milk, and a myriad of warm feeling cartoons (snorks, smurfs, get-along gang, etc...) to get the Saturday started. After spending a few hours in front of the tube...we would put on our play clothes and venture out to meet up with neighborhood kids and spend the day bike riding, playing games like hide & seek and Red Rover, and ending the day catching fireflies, or singing our favorite 80's tunes as the sun went down. The best feeling was taking our grubby, playing all day selves into the house for a nice warm bath, and snuggling into our Strawberry Shortcake or Cabbage Patch pajamas. Ahhhh..those were the days....for sure. :)

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/01/08 at 9:17 am

I used to take Flintstone vitamins every morning before I go to school.

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 9:17 am

I liked the purple Dino ones

;D

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/01/08 at 9:18 am

I liked the purple Dino ones

;D

I pretty much like all of them.

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 9:19 am

know what I really hate about being an adult?  Getting sick

nothing makes me want my mommy more than having a fever!  ;D

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/01/08 at 9:22 am

know what I really hate about being an adult?  Getting sick

nothing makes me want my mommy more than having a fever!   ;D

I know.  Getting sick is expensive when you get older. 

Written By: snozberries on 04/01/08 at 9:25 am

I know.  Getting sick is expensive when you get older. 

that too.. mostly its the being taken care of... it sucks pretty bad to be really sick and have to drag your butt out of bed to go to the store to get medicine, oj chicken noodle soup...whatever.... when I was little and sick I didn't have to get out of bed cuz my mom brought me every thing... well I had to get out of bed to go the bathroom but not for anything else.

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/01/08 at 9:30 am

that brought back such vivid memories for me! Those Flintstone vitamins were the best! My mom would make her famous yummy pancakes..and my sisters and I would sit there and watch our favorite toons. There was nothing like a few pancakes, a tall glass of milk, and a myriad of warm feeling cartoons (snorks, smurfs, get-along gang, etc...) to get the Saturday started. After spending a few hours in front of the tube...we would put on our play clothes and venture out to meet up with neighborhood kids and spend the day bike riding, playing games like hide & seek and Red Rover, and ending the day catching fireflies, or singing our favorite 80's tunes as the sun went down. The best feeling was taking our grubby, playing all day selves into the house for a nice warm bath, and snuggling into our Strawberry Shortcake or Cabbage Patch pajamas. Ahhhh..those were the days....for sure. :)

this was an awesome post.  hide & seek was the best game ever invented!  oh man... just 1 day back then, that's all I want.. LOL

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/01/08 at 9:47 am

I remember when I used to be in a school choir when I was 11 to 13 years old, and I used to go to choir rehearsals after school, and after that, I will stop at that little candy store that's right across the street from the school, and I would buy those homeade chips.  I remember when I use to go to my babysitter's house after school, andI would watch cartoons, and everything.  I would watch Dancin On Air.

Written By: Tia on 04/01/08 at 9:57 am

saturday morning t.v. was the bees knees! although it's funny i mostly liked bugs bunny, which was mostly from the 50s and 60s, and krofft superstars, which let's face it, was mosty dreck.

the t.v. was great. the playground politics was the Suck.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/01/08 at 10:58 am

I think nearly everyone misses their childhood when they get older, I know I miss mine alot. The sad thing about it is, you never really do enjoy your childhood enough as its going on, since your always wishing to be older so you can do more things. I know whenever someone would tell me to "enjoy being a kid while you can" whenever I complained about having to wait until I was older to do something I thought they were full of it. Now I see that they were right.

You spend your childhood wanting to be older, then you spend most of adulthood wanting to be younger again :(

Written By: Atari on 04/01/08 at 11:09 am

I think everyone goes through the missing of their pre-teen/teenage years. I miss some aspects of those years; the innocence, the video games, the cartoons, riding my bike to the mall and putt-putt to play video games, the music, MTV when it actually played good music (or music at all), rollerskating, etc. With a couple of exceptions, I can still do these things and remember how cool it was. But I would never want to go back. I think if I were able to return to those great times, they would be tainted. I would just rather enjoy the memory of it all, miss it, and smile.

There are some (like me) who just never grow up. I HATE modern music, modern movies (with VERY few exceptions, they're ALL garbage as far as I'm concerned), modern fashion, modern television (UUUUGH), etc. If it's something created past 1984, with some exceptions (i.e. Macs, iPods, LCD TVs, other toys), I think it sucks. But this is all just my worthless opinion, and I'm nobody :)

Anyway, here's a link to a guy who not only didn't grow up, but is living out his childhood dream: http://www.peterhirschberg.com/. I am proud to say that I also owned my own arcade. There's one dream down, a few more to go!!

Written By: Atari on 04/01/08 at 11:14 am

saturday morning t.v. was the bees knees! although it's funny i mostly liked bugs bunny, which was mostly from the 50s and 60s, and krofft superstars, which let's face it, was mosty dreck.

the t.v. was great. the playground politics was the Suck.

I also dug Looney Tunes on Saturday morning TV. It's the only cartoon show I liked, which made my brothers happy. They could hog the TV until 11, then I'd get my hour!

Now I've got five volumes of Looney Tunes that I can watch at anytime...

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/01/08 at 12:01 pm

I also dug Looney Tunes on Saturday morning TV. It's the only cartoon show I liked, which made my brothers happy. They could hog the TV until 11, then I'd get my hour!

Oh my God!!!  I have five volumes too, and the good thing about it is that they are uncut!!!!!  Yeah, I miss those days when you don't have a care in the world.  You get to look back and appreciate your youth, and that's a beautiful thing about it.  I have an Alvin and the Chipmunks DVD that I ordered online last year.  It's not but somebody recorded the cartoons on DVD, and it has almost every episode.  I'm thinking about getting the Smurfs DVD as well, the first season is in stores now.

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/01/08 at 1:30 pm

Oh my God!!!  I have five volumes too, and the good thing about it is that they are uncut!!!!!  Yeah, I miss those days when you don't have a care in the world.  You get to look back and appreciate your youth, and that's a beautiful thing about it.  I have an Alvin and the Chipmunks DVD that I ordered online last year.  It's not but somebody recorded the cartoons on DVD, and it has almost every episode.  I'm thinking about getting the Smurfs DVD as well, the first season is in stores now.

Yeah I think I'm going to get the Smurfs too.  and the Gummi Bears.  Just waiting for some extra money... is there such a thing??

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/01/08 at 3:35 pm

Remember baby aspirin?  They were great.  I think they took them off the market because too many kids were overdosing.

I used to perfer the Bam-Bam ones myself.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/01/08 at 4:06 pm

I remember eating Choco Bliss and Hostess chocolate puddig pies back in the 80s.  I remember eating the old school baked beans and Now and Laters.  Thoses were the days that I never forget.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/01/08 at 4:08 pm

Remember baby aspirin?  They were great.  I think they took them off the market because too many kids were overdosing.

I used to perfer the Bam-Bam ones myself.

Girl yes!!!!  I remember them like it was yesterday!!!!  It's a shame that the markets stop selling them in Pharmacy stores.

Written By: coqueta83 on 04/01/08 at 7:42 pm

Reading this thread makes me long for my childhood.....I'm glad I got to spend my childhood in the 80's. I miss spending my free time at the playground at the park with my friends. I spent plenty of time outdoors during that time! Often we'd walk over to the 7-Eleven to buy treats, like Whatchamacallit candy bars, lollipops, and even Slurpees.

I really miss the kind of cartoons shown in the 80's like Smurfs, Snorks, and JEM. I think even the toys were better (just my humble opinion!), I still have many of them from my childhood and I have no intentions of ever letting them go!

I'm glad there's TV shows on DVD....a wonderful way of reliving those great memories!  :D I also get a kick out of watching 80's commercials and network promos (I miss that old NBC Proud N peacock!) on YouTube.

Written By: robby76 on 04/01/08 at 8:18 pm

I'm glad there's TV shows on DVD....a wonderful way of reliving those great memories!  :D I also get a kick out of watching 80's commercials and network promos (I miss that old NBC Proud N peacock!) on YouTube.

Bill described the me of yesteryear and you just described the me of today!  :)

I bought Jem on dvd but the seller on ebay seemed a bit dodgy and everything fell through. I got refunded but I'd rather have had the dvds.  :-\\

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/02/08 at 7:26 am

This thread has really put me in a reminiscing mood.  We had this little deli around the corner from us when we were kids and we'd go there just about every day with a whole DOLLAR that we got from my mom and buy all kinds of candy... Bazooka Gum, Tattoo Gum, Now & Later, Sour Patch Kids, Fun Dip, Swedish Fish, Lotsa Fizz... needless to say I think we spent our summer vacations on a sugar high.  Sometimes we'd play "zoo" and the kids in the neighborhood would pretend they were animals in the zoo and the candy would be the medicine the sick animals would take LOL  Just sharing a very random and strange memory...

Anyway, I miss those days immensely.  Someone here said that they wouldn't want to relive it because it would be tainted...  I think maybe I agree... to an extent.  What I'd rather have is a way to kinda watch my memories on TV or something... I can see the memories in my mind, but the're fuzzy and pieced together.. that's not good enough LOL I want to watch entire days... or random birthday parties, shopping trips, Christmas mornings... I want to see the whole thing.  It's kinda funny, now that I'm thinking about it, how we can see these images in our minds without having to actually look at something.  I never thought of it that way... But yeah, it'd be better to watch it on a TV :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/02/08 at 7:58 am

This thread has really put me in a reminiscing mood.  We had this little deli around the corner from us when we were kids and we'd go there just about every day with a whole DOLLAR that we got from my mom and buy all kinds of candy... Bazooka Gum, Tattoo Gum, Now & Later, Sour Patch Kids, Fun Dip, Swedish Fish, Lotsa Fizz... needless to say I think we spent our summer vacations on a sugar high.  Sometimes we'd play "zoo" and the kids in the neighborhood would pretend they were animals in the zoo and the candy would be the medicine the sick animals would take LOL  Just sharing a very random and strange memory...

Anyway, I miss those days immensely.  Someone here said that they wouldn't want to relive it because it would be tainted...  I think maybe I agree... to an extent.  What I'd rather have is a way to kinda watch my memories on TV or something... I can see the memories in my mind, but the're fuzzy and pieced together.. that's not good enough LOL I want to watch entire days... or random birthday parties, shopping trips, Christmas mornings... I want to see the whole thing.  It's kinda funny, now that I'm thinking about it, how we can see these images in our minds without having to actually look at something.  I never thought of it that way... But yeah, it'd be better to watch it on a TV :)

we used to have a little store up the road from our house too. We would go there daily and visit the infamous "penny candy stand". I can still to this day, see the faint eyeroll and sigh from the cashier, as we unloaded our bag of pennies on the counter, waiting in anticipation to see how much we could spend. Swedish fish, pixie sticks, tootsie rolls, and a sleuth of other random candies became our fix for a day's worth of fun.

I had this friend named Brent, he was about 2-3 years younger than me. We used to play together everyday. I thought he was the coolest thing because he was the first person I knew who owned a computer (as ancient as it seems now), and I would go over to his house to pretend that I was a secretary typing up papers on it.  We were both obsessed with the movie, Grease..and one summer, we managed to watch it every single day. After our daily routine, we would dress up like Danny and Sandy....and dance and/or ride our bikes around the neighborhood singing, "Your The One That I Want"...ooooo ooooo oooohh, honey! haahaha!!

It was always fun whenever the neighborhood was filled with kids. We had certain ones that didn't necessarily live there, however, they would come in the summer to visit their grandparents (who happened to be our neighbors). One friend in particular, and her brother...would each spend a week out of the summer at their grandparent's house. I always used to look forward to that. We would make the most out of our days and nights back then. Every moment was worth so much, and so carefree. I think that is what I miss the most about my youth.

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/02/08 at 8:06 am

we used to have a little store up the road from our house too. We would go there daily and visit the infamous "penny candy stand". I can still to this day, see the faint eyeroll and sigh from the cashier, as we unloaded our bag of pennies on the counter, waiting in anticipation to see how much we could spend. Swedish fish, pixie sticks, tootsie rolls, and a sleuth of other random candies became our fix for a day's worth of fun.

I had this friend named Brent, he was about 2-3 years younger than me. We used to play together everyday. I thought he was the coolest thing because he was the first person I knew who owned a computer (as ancient as it seems now), and I would go over to his house to pretend that I was a secretary typing up papers on it.  We were both obsessed with the movie, Grease..and one summer, we managed to watch it every single day. After our daily routine, we would dress up like Danny and Sandy....and dance and/or ride our bikes around the neighborhood singing, "Your The One That I Want"...ooooo ooooo oooohh, honey! haahaha!!

It was always fun whenever the neighborhood was filled with kids. We had certain ones that didn't necessarily live there, however, they would come in the summer to visit their grandparents (who happened to be our neighbors). One friend in particular, and her brother...would each spend a week out of the summer at their grandparent's house. I always used to look forward to that. We would make the most out of our days and nights back then. Every moment was worth so much, and so carefree. I think that is what I miss the most about my youth.

Did you call it the "little store"?  That's what we used to call our deli.  And there was a lady like that at the store I went to as well... she would always roll her eyes and say "whaddya want? i ain't got all damn day!" LOL She was fun to irritate... but she liked us, deep down :)

LOL that is such a great story about you and your friend watching Grease!! Are you still friends?  Sometimes I want to contact my old friends from when I was a kid... but they never try to contact me so I just leave them alone.  It seems like I'm always the one who contacts people from my past, but I almost never get tracked down myself :( Oh well, I guess they're in the past for a reason.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/02/08 at 8:12 am

Did you call it the "little store"?  That's what we used to call our deli.  And there was a lady like that at the store I went to as well... she would always roll her eyes and say "whaddya want? i ain't got all damn day!" LOL She was fun to irritate... but she liked us, deep down :)

LOL that is such a great story about you and your friend watching Grease!! Are you still friends?  Sometimes I want to contact my old friends from when I was a kid... but they never try to contact me so I just leave them alone.  It seems like I'm always the one who contacts people from my past, but I almost never get tracked down myself :( Oh well, I guess they're in the past for a reason.

Hahaha...YES, we DID call it that! ;D  Throughout my childhood it was owned by several different people and went through a series of different names....but to us, it was known as the "little store"....OMG, they sold the BEST pepperoni rolls there too! I almost forgot all about that. Yes, at one point it was owned by an older woman, and her 20-something daughter used to work there. She was the one that was friendly, yet annoyed by us kids! LOL!

Sadly, no, I am not friends with Brent anymore. We ended up even going to the same high school, but we just grew apart and became totally different people. I do see him from time to time, but we don't even say hello to one another. It's funny how when you are children...everyone seems to be apart of the group and friends with one another, but when you get older....everyone merges into their own groups/lives. I know what you mean though..I have gotten back in contact with numerous people from my past (hey, thanks Myspace!)...but as in your situation..it's similiar to mine...I am always the one searching for THEM.

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/02/08 at 8:19 am

Hahaha...YES, we DID call it that! ;D  Throughout my childhood it was owned by several different people and went through a series of different names....but to us, it was known as the "little store"....OMG, they sold the BEST pepperoni rolls there too! I almost forgot all about that. Yes, at one point it was owned by an older woman, and her 20-something daughter used to work there. She was the one that was friendly, yet annoyed by us kids! LOL!

Sadly, no, I am not friends with Brent anymore. We ended up even going to the same high school, but we just grew apart and became totally different people. I do see him from time to time, but we don't even say hello to one another. It's funny how when you are children...everyone seems to be apart of the group and friends with one another, but when you get older....everyone merges into their own groups/lives. I know what you mean though..I have gotten back in contact with numerous people from my past (hey, thanks Myspace!)...but as in your situation..it's similiar to mine...I am always the one searching for THEM.

That's so funny that you called it that too!!! I wonder how many "little stores" there are out there :)

I guess there are people like us who are more connected with their past.  Then, there are people who like to leave the past in the past and only focus on the present and future.  Maybe that's the difference.  At least I try to tell myself that... makes me feel better about no one wanting to contact me LOL

Yeah it is funny, when you're a kid, you can pretty much be friends with anyone.  My brother was telling me the other day that he had 2 kids knock on his door and ask him if he had any kids because they wanted some more friends LOL  I was thinking how funny it would be if things still worked that way as an adult.  Friends, as a kid, served completely different purposes than they do as adults, and adult friends (good ones at least) are much harder to come by!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/02/08 at 8:36 am

That's so funny that you called it that too!!! I wonder how many "little stores" there are out there :)

I guess there are people like us who are more connected with their past.  Then, there are people who like to leave the past in the past and only focus on the present and future.  Maybe that's the difference.  At least I try to tell myself that... makes me feel better about no one wanting to contact me LOL

Yeah it is funny, when you're a kid, you can pretty much be friends with anyone.  My brother was telling me the other day that he had 2 kids knock on his door and ask him if he had any kids because they wanted some more friends LOL  I was thinking how funny it would be if things still worked that way as an adult.  Friends, as a kid, served completely different purposes than they do as adults, and adult friends (good ones at least) are much harder to come by!

yes, that's definitely true. I mean, we all had our sqaubbles during our childhoods (neighborhood fights were the worst), but it seemed like we were all able to pick up and forget about bickering in about an hour's time...and the next scene would be all of us kids together again, riding our bikes. It was so much easier back then to make/have friends.

One thing that we loved to do was play in our clubhouse. My grandpap had built us this awesome clubhouse that was situated in our driveway. It had its own door and a little window and you could open. We would play McDonald's drive thru with it. LOL! We used to camp out in it too, in the summertime. My mom would make us big bowls of popcorn and we would get in our pajamas...and us and a few of our friends would get our sleeping bags and spend the night out in the clubhouse! We used to tell ghost stories, and play silly games, and see who could stay up the longest. Man, those were the days!!

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/02/08 at 8:49 am

yes, that's definitely true. I mean, we all had our sqaubbles during our childhoods (neighborhood fights were the worst), but it seemed like we were all able to pick up and forget about bickering in about an hour's time...and the next scene would be all of us kids together again, riding our bikes. It was so much easier back then to make/have friends.

One thing that we loved to do was play in our clubhouse. My grandpap had built us this awesome clubhouse that was situated in our driveway. It had its own door and a little window and you could open. We would play McDonald's drive thru with it. LOL! We used to camp out in it too, in the summertime. My mom would make us big bowls of popcorn and we would get in our pajamas...and us and a few of our friends would get our sleeping bags and spend the night out in the clubhouse! We used to tell ghost stories, and play silly games, and see who could stay up the longest. Man, those were the days!!

aww that sounds like so much fun!! you're making me miss your childhood too LOL!!  clubhouses and forts were the best when you were a kid! my little brother and I used to make forts out of couch pillows and sheets... I'm sure my mom loved that LOL  but it was always so cool to be in them.  we'd bring in flashlights and board games and toys...it was our own little world.  wow, i'm remembering things that i haven't thought about in years and years... this is awesome.  i remember this Ghostbusters flashlight that we used to have that would project images of Ghostbusters characters on the wall... it was so neat.  I think I might have to do an Ebay search for that! :)

Written By: snozberries on 04/02/08 at 10:19 am

I did fifth and sixth grades in Las Vegas and we used to pretend our BMX bikes were dirt bikes and ride them through the desert  ;D

I think it was Machine Head who said we don't take the time to appreciate youth while we're experiencing it...its so true if I had a time machine I would want to go back and get back some of the memories I've let myself forget.... I don't know if its because we moved so much and I had such a hard time making friends I'm not as nostalgic for my childhood so much as I want to see who I was to kinda try and figure out who I am.

I really don't remember my childhood that well because I was more focused on TV so I remember that stuff better than I remember my real life.

The other thing is... I live a different kind of life right now. Honestly I guess in a way I never really grew up. Yeah I have responsibilities like rent and Carly  but really I live alone so I do what I want to do. On my days off I sleep all day if I want, play video games for hours or watch tV.... the decision not to have kids has kept me young. and possibly less mature than others my age but I don't care I like that I choose play over more adult options.

8)

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/02/08 at 5:49 pm

Reading this thread makes me long for my childhood.....I'm glad I got to spend my childhood in the 80's. I miss spending my free time at the playground at the park with my friends. I spent plenty of time outdoors during that time! Often we'd walk over to the 7-Eleven to buy treats, like Whatchamacallit candy bars, lollipops, and even Slurpees.

I really miss the kind of cartoons shown in the 80's like Smurfs, Snorks, and JEM. I think even the toys were better (just my humble opinion!), I still have many of them from my childhood and I have no intentions of ever letting them go!

I know what you mean.  Anybody that was born between 1965-1980 is mostly likely going to remember the WHOOOOOLE decade of the 80s.  Even though there's Reganomics, crack, AIDS, Cold War and all that, it was still the best decade for children, preteens, and teenagers.  It was a time when the 80s' pop culture catered to children, preteens, and teenagers.  I miss cartoons that I used to watch from 1980-1989 like Heathcliff, Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes, Smurfs, Munchichi's, Pacman, Richie Rich, Strawberry Shortcake, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Foofur, Punky Brewster, Woody Woodpecker, Jem, Heman, Shera, Ducktales, Muppet Babies, Snorks, Dugeons and Dragons, Kissyfur, Gummie Bears, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Popeye, Garfield and Friends, Tom and Jerry, Maxine's World, Rainbow Brite, My Little Pony, Transfomers, GI Joe.  It was a time when major TV stations (ABC,CBS,NBC) cared about children more.  Before it was WB and FOX Saturday morning cartoons and the cable TV Saturday morning cartoons, it was ABC,CBS, and NBC for Saturday morning cartoons, and I think that the 80s was the LAST decade for Saturday morning cartoons in major stations.  In the 90s, because cable took over, Saturday morning cartoons were dying out.   The 90s pop culture was strictly teen and adult-oriented, in my opinion.  I can't imaging being a child in the 90s.  Thank God that I was a teenager and a young adult in the 90s because people who were chidren in the 90s had it a little rough.  The only things that I like in 90s pop culture were music, movies, and clothes.  The 80s pop culture was flexible.  It catered to children, preteens, teens, and adults.  It will never be a decade like the 80s again.  I love the 80s and early 90s (1990-1993). 

Written By: coqueta83 on 04/02/08 at 8:26 pm

It will never be a decade like the 80s again.  I love the 80s and early 90s (1990-1993).

I agree completely!!! The early 90's is the part of the 90's that I liked the most.  :) :) :)

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/02/08 at 9:12 pm

I agree completely!!! The early 90's is the part of the 90's that I liked the most.  :) :) :)

I know.  The 90s was the last decade for good music, but it seems like the first half of the 90s give me that fuzzy warm feeling.  Regardless of the hard times I had in high school, the early 90s culture (1990-1995) was better.  Even though I had some hard times during my high school years, the early 90s culture is the best.  Anything from 1990-1995 is strictly for Generation X, and I'm happy to be a part of that.   I feel sorry for the young children that grew up in the whole 90s because the 90s pop culture was strictly teen and adult-oriented.  I'm so glad that I was an 80s child.  The 80s was the BEST decade to be a child and the first half of the 90s was the best time to be a teenager.  To tell you the truth, if I have to choose between 80s and 90s as far as the WHOOOLE decade, I choose th 80s because I have less problems than the 90s.  The first half of the 90s were less drama than the latter half of the 90s.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/02/08 at 10:12 pm

Adulthood has some things that suck, but one of the things that makes up for it is being able to walk into any store and buy a whole box of Rice Krispies, a bag of marshmallows, a bottle of vanilla extract, and some butter.

On Saturday morning, you wake up bright and early and do what comes naturally with those four ingredients.

Then you pick a disc at random from the Golden Collection, Volumes 1-5.

Adulthood ceases to suck when you've got an entire cookie tray full of still-warm Rice Krispie squares, and you realize that as an adult, there are no adults to stop you from eating as many squares as you freaking want.  If you're feeling particularly whimsical, you can even cut 'em into little squares (and four big octagons) and become the living incarnation of Pac-Man while you watch the cartoons!

You probably shouldn't do this every weekend, or even on any regular occasion, but once -- at least once in your life -- you owe it to yourself to watch Saturday morning cartoons on a Saturday morning (like God intended), in your pyjamas (like God intended), and while eating an entire tray of Rice Krispie squares (which is also like God intended, but your parents never quite understood).

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/03/08 at 10:06 am

I kind of too, especially watching cartoons on Saturday mornings, now adays, the cartoons are either ok, or not all that great.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/03/08 at 1:50 pm

Adulthood has some things that suck, but one of the things that makes up for it is being able to walk into any store and buy a whole box of Rice Krispies, a bag of marshmallows, a bottle of vanilla extract, and some butter.

On Saturday morning, you wake up bright and early and do what comes naturally with those four ingredients.

Then you pick a disc at random from the Golden Collection, Volumes 1-5.

Adulthood ceases to suck when you've got an entire cookie tray full of still-warm Rice Krispie squares, and you realize that as an adult, there are no adults to stop you from eating as many squares as you freaking want.  If you're feeling particularly whimsical, you can even cut 'em into little squares (and four big octagons) and become the living incarnation of Pac-Man while you watch the cartoons!

You probably shouldn't do this every weekend, or even on any regular occasion, but once -- at least once in your life -- you owe it to yourself to watch Saturday morning cartoons on a Saturday morning (like God intended), in your pyjamas (like God intended), and while eating an entire tray of Rice Krispie squares (which is also like God intended, but your parents never quite understood).

That's so beautiful. :\'(

My room mate wonders why I sit in front of the computer on Saturday mornings eating Ring-Dings and Chocolate Milk watching The Snorks, The Smurfs, The Adventures of Pac Man, Thundercats.  What really gets her is when I sing along with the theme songs.  Why do I do this?  Because I can!!!

YOUTUBE is my friend. :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/03/08 at 4:42 pm

I hear ya Nicole, and everyone else. I'm 26 turning 27 later this year, and I always thought of myself as a total Eighties kid (even if I wasn't tecnically there for the first few years, and I kinda experienced it in the '90s too, lol).

You know, there's a line in a Don Henley song (which I always liked, called "The End of the Innocence") that I really think is perfect in summing up how I feel about childhood. It goes "Remember when the days were long and rolled beneath the deep blue sky. Didn't have a care in the world with mommy and daddy standing by."

I don't know if that's what Henley meant, but I totally agree with that feeling. Looking back now, I think we value childhood (and maybe the early teen years too) because there's a sense of comfort and security in knowing people (especially your parents) are there to not only love and take care of you in any way possible, but that there's no need to worry about "life" things. It's all mapped out for you in the sense of going to school and coming home. They'll take care of the hard stuff and providing for you.

Once you get out of high school though, daily life becomes a struggle (even if you're doing good). If you want to survive, you have to work and pay bills and you can't count on anyone else anymore. Even though it's a fact of life we all have to face, it's hard not to miss when you didn't have to worry about day to day, paycheck to paycheck living.

I think nearly everyone misses their childhood when they get older, I know I miss mine alot. The sad thing about it is, you never really do enjoy your childhood enough as its going on, since your always wishing to be older so you can do more things. I know whenever someone would tell me to "enjoy being a kid while you can" whenever I complained about having to wait until I was older to do something I thought they were full of it. Now I see that they were right.

You spend your childhood wanting to be older, then you spend most of adulthood wanting to be younger again :(

Oh yeah, absolutely dude. I went through that myself alot of the time, like I thought it "wasn't fair" that I didn't get to go certain places or do certain things that seemed interesting. So part of me couldn't wait to be older, lol.

I think we take the positive experiences for granted, too. Don't get me wrong, there were tons of things that I loved as they were occuring in my childhood during the 1980s and early '90s (everything from hanging around family friends and their kids, to playing video games and listening to lots of music, to taking trips and going places with my mom and dad). However, I didn't always value it and kinda took it for granted, because I didn't think about it being gone. Even back then, logically I knew life would change, but I figured the pieces would just fall into place on their own and it would work out. Too bad I was totally wrong, but I guess that was another part of being innocent. ;)

The reason I look back so fondly on the pop culture aspects aren't so much for what it is itself, but since it reminds me of my early life (although I like it regardless, especially the music, so that just adds to the sentimentality).

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/03/08 at 7:43 pm

I hear ya Nicole, and everyone else. I'm 26 turning 27 later this year, and I always thought of myself as a total Eighties kid (even if I wasn't tecnically there for the first few years, and I kinda experienced it in the '90s too, lol).

You know, there's a line in a Don Henley song (which I always liked, called "The End of the Innocence") that I really think is perfect in summing up how I feel about childhood. It goes "Remember when the days were long and rolled beneath the deep blue sky. Didn't have a care in the world with mommy and daddy standing by."

I don't know if that's what Henley meant, but I totally agree with that feeling. Looking back now, I think we value childhood (and maybe the early teen years too) because there's a sense of comfort and security in knowing people (especially your parents) are there to not only love and take care of you in any way possible, but that there's no need to worry about "life" things. It's all mapped out for you in the sense of going to school and coming home. They'll take care of the hard stuff and providing for you.

Once you get out of high school though, daily life becomes a struggle (even if you're doing good). If you want to survive, you have to work and pay bills and you can't count on anyone else anymore. Even though it's a fact of life we all have to face, it's hard not to miss when you didn't have to worry about day to day, paycheck to paycheck living.

Oh yeah, absolutely dude. I went through that myself alot of the time, like I thought it "wasn't fair" that I didn't get to go certain places or do certain things that seemed interesting. So part of me couldn't wait to be older, lol.

I think we take the positive experiences for granted, too. Don't get me wrong, there were tons of things that I loved as they were occuring in my childhood during the 1980s and early '90s (everything from hanging around family friends and their kids, to playing video games and listening to lots of music, to taking trips and going places with my mom and dad). However, I didn't always value it and kinda took it for granted, because I didn't think about it being gone. Even back then, logically I knew life would change, but I figured the pieces would just fall into place on their own and it would work out. Too bad I was totally wrong, but I guess that was another part of being innocent. ;)

The reason I look back so fondly on the pop culture aspects aren't so much for what it is itself, but since it reminds me of my early life (although I like it regardless, especially the music, so that just adds to the sentimentality).

Don't get me wrong.  I had my rough moments when I was a kid.  I'm not saying that my whole childhood was perfect, but compare to now and how these kids are today, I thank GOD for my childhood!!!!!!!  My childhood (3-8), preteen (9-12), and early teens (13-16)  was the best time of my life regardless of what I went through.  I had a whole lot of fun back then.  The amusement parks, the barbecues, the block parties, the cartoons, the toys,  the music, the movies, EVERYTHING!!!  It seems like the older I get, the more I yearn for my childhood.  I'm so glad that I'm not a child and a teenager right now, thank you Jesus!!!!!!

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/03/08 at 8:09 pm

^ Oh yeah, totally, I loved amusement parks too. Did you ever go to Chuck E Cheese? Some of my fondest early memories are of my mom taking me there (I even heard Huey Lewis' "Power of Love" on their radio when I was about 4 lol). Their pizza was really good too, and they had alot more extras than they do now. I had lot of fun at stuff like arcades and miniature golfing as well.

The '80s were very "activity and game" oriented, come to think of it.

I had alot of great times as a kid, but my only regret I suppose, is not taking it in as much as I could have. Of course I couldn't know how different things would be "when I'm 15" or "30" for instance, so I never thought about it changing until it actually started to. It's easy to take stuff for granted at that age, which is probably why we long for it so much the more time passes.

Also, as much as I love the pop culture, I've come to realize that's really more because of what it reminds me of. In other words, as much as I may like a certain song, it's just a "fandom", but the earlier back I may have heard it, the cozier of a memory it gives me 'cause it reminds me of my life at the time.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/03/08 at 9:26 pm

^ Oh yeah, totally, I loved amusement parks too. Did you ever go to Chuck E Cheese? Some of my fondest early memories are of my mom taking me there (I even heard Huey Lewis' "Power of Love" on their radio when I was about 4 lol). Their pizza was really good too, and they had alot more extras than they do now. I had lot of fun at stuff like arcades and miniature golfing as well.

The '80s were very "activity and game" oriented, come to think of it.

I had alot of great times as a kid, but my only regret I suppose, is not taking it in as much as I could have. Of course I couldn't know how different things would be "when I'm 15" or "30" for instance, so I never thought about it changing until it actually started to. It's easy to take stuff for granted at that age, which is probably why we long for it so much the more time passes.

Also, as much as I love the pop culture, I've come to realize that's really more because of what it reminds me of. In other words, as much as I may like a certain song, it's just a "fandom", but the earlier back I may have heard it, the cozier of a memory it gives me 'cause it reminds me of my life at the time.

Oh yes, definitely.  I went to Chucki Cheese.  I went when I was 8-10 years old, and I had a good time.  Yeah, their pizza was VERY good.  There's no denying there.  You' re right.  In the 80s, it catered to kids and teenagers more.  It was very activity, game, amusement park oriented back then.  I think that the 80s were the decade for children, preteen, and teenagers.  The 80s were flexible.  It catered to kids more.   In the 90s, it was teen and adult-driven.  I know.  I was there.  I'm so glad that I didn't grow up as a child in the 90s.  I feel sorry for those that did because, in my opinion, it wasn't catering to children as much as the teenagers and adults.  I had a blast as a young teenager in the early 90s.

Written By: Davester on 04/03/08 at 9:53 pm

Here's a neat petition.  Ain't gonna happen, but I'd get behind it anyway.  Only needs 9,000+ sigs... :P

We want an 80s Child cartoon & kids show Channel!!!

From petition:

Where have the 80s cartoons gone? I have wanted to know for years. 80s kids are being neglected, older generations can see their cartoons on Boomerang, newer Generations can watch on Nick and Cartoon Network...

But where can you turn to watch The Wuzzles or Heathcliff? A VHS tape?

This petition is start a TV channel with cartoons and kids shows that only 80s children would have watched (ranging from say 1978 - 1992).

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/03/08 at 10:03 pm

Here's a neat petition.  Ain't gonna happen, but I'd get behind it anyway.  Only needs 9,000+ sigs... :P

From petition:

Where have the 80s cartoons gone? I have wanted to know for years. 80s kids are being neglected, older generations can see their cartoons on Boomerang, newer Generations can watch on Nick and Cartoon Network...

This petition is start a TV channel with cartoons and kids shows that only 80s children would have watched (ranging from say 1978 - 1992).

You mean the cartoons that came out from 1978-1992?  I'm all for it.  Yeah, we 80s kids are being neglected, and we want our own 80s cartoon channel that will market towards people that's at least age 27 and over.  I will sign since I'm a child of the 80s.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/03/08 at 11:00 pm

From petition:

gosh..that would be like a little piece of heaven!!!!

Written By: Davester on 04/03/08 at 11:12 pm

You mean the cartoons that came out from 1978-1992?

I believe so...

gosh..that would be like a little piece of heaven!!!!

It would be cool.  I think some kind of a channel like that, with 80s programing - let's say, cartoons in the mornings, music videos in the afternoons (and late-nite) and maybe sitcoms in the evening with a movie on Friday (parhaps Saturday) would be the schiznick!  And maybe even successful to boot...

Throw in a retro commercial here and there, sit back and be a sniveling young rascal again..!  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/03/08 at 11:30 pm

I believe so...

It would be cool.  I think some kind of a channel like that, with 80s programing - let's say, cartoons in the mornings, music videos in the afternoons (and late-nite) and maybe sitcoms in the evening with a movie on Friday (parhaps Saturday) would be the schiznick!  And maybe even successful to boot...

Throw in a retro commercial here and there, sit back and be a sniveling young rascal again..!  ;D

I would LOVE that! Do you realize how much money they would make off of something like that? SOOO many people would be interested in that. I mean, they have all of these shows just sitting around somewhere...let's get them back on the air!! :) :D

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/03/08 at 11:45 pm

That will be an awesome channel.  That way I can sit in fromt of my television on Saturday mornings, and eat Cap'N Crunch, Trix, Froot Loops while watching cartoons that I grew up on in the 80s.

Written By: Davester on 04/03/08 at 11:55 pm

I would LOVE that! Do you realize how much money they would make off of something like that? SOOO many people would be interested in that. I mean, they have all of these shows just sitting around somewhere...let's get them back on the air!! :) :D

Sure, absolutely...

The target market for all these DVD TV series?  We are.  Who else buys the complete series of "The Brady Bunch" and "Diffrent Strokes" on DVD?  We do.  TV Land?  We are (we're probably the market keeping it alive).  Remastered and re-released CDs?  We are.  Go Go's, Van Halen and the Police reunion tours?  We are.  VH1 Classic?  We are.  Depeche Mode and Duran Duran songs in TV commercials?  We are.  Shows like High School Reunion and The Big 4-0?  We are.  The "Hollywood remake"?  We are.  Transformers and My Little Pony can yet be found on toy store shelves.  We're buying the stuff we had for our kids.  Media execs definately know this...

Maybe someday...nah, it'll never happen...

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/04/08 at 12:55 am

^ Hey I buy them too. ;) It's not age centered, but I know the biggest target demographic is probably Generation Xers.

Written By: Davester on 04/04/08 at 1:55 am

No, it's not age centered but directed at a bunch of conspicuous consumers who gobble this stuff up like there's no tomorrow, who also happen to be a certain age.  But this is a good thing 'cause it creates a market.  Without a market I don't get to see my Smurfs Season 1, Vol. 2... :-\\

Stands to reason that a dedicated network would've been in the works by now.  Maybe there already is...and it's called y-o-u t-u-b-e... :P

Written By: robby76 on 04/04/08 at 3:13 am

Mmmm I've not had Fruit Loops since I was a young boy! The purple loops were the tastiest!

I'm waiting for Smurfs Vol 2 too! I reckon a December release date looks good as they'll probably put the Christmas special on as a bonus. It's the next one in line after the Springtime Special.

Oh and I signed the petition.  :)

Written By: Tia on 04/04/08 at 8:58 am

FROOT Loops?  :D :( :( :o

http://cobweb.ecn.purdue.edu/~ace/water2/samplepix/vw2d-1/fruit-marked.jpg

http://www.chicagops.org/Public/Knotts/loops.jpg

did somebody say...

toucan!?!?!?!?!?! :D :D :D

http://www.wildernessclassroom.com/www/schoolhouse/rainforest_library/animal_images/toucan6.jpg

hi! please don't EAT me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

toucan sounds like you can. yes you can!

http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/Obama-Surf.jpg

stay fit by having a NUTRITIOUS breakfast with

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/HPM/KM1698~Kellogg-s-Froot-Loops-Posters.jpg

FOOT LOOPS!!!!!

Written By: Tia on 04/04/08 at 9:09 am

sorry. someone must have been using my computer while i was away. it's take your child to work day here at the office.

Written By: Midas on 04/04/08 at 9:24 am

stay fit by having a NUTRITIOUS breakfast with

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/HPM/KM1698~Kellogg-s-Froot-Loops-Posters.jpg

FOOT LOOPS!!!!!

FOOT Loops?!?  :o ???

How appetizing...

Can THIS be?

http://www.orgt.gatech.edu/caving/knots/foot.jpg

I'll stick to coffee or something, thank you !  8-P :D

Written By: Tia on 04/04/08 at 9:50 am

WATER KNOT???@??@?@?@?!@?#!??#!#?@#?!?#?  :D ;) :-X :-* :\'( 8-P :-\\ :-X :-http://lh4.google.com/OasisP33/RTqKIgvDABI/AAAAAAAAA8g/VHLJS9yaKDQ/2005_0713Image%20002.jpg?imgmax=512

silly human! you don't use WATER with your froot loops! you use...

http://kungfurodeo.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/hayden-got-milk.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Written By: Midas on 04/04/08 at 1:49 pm

Milk; it does a body good.  I remember that commercial from the 80s...when I was a child.  Thus keeping this on topic.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/04/08 at 2:15 pm

Milk; it does a body good.  I remember that commercial from the 80s...when I was a child.  Thus keeping this on topic.

I remember that commercial too back in the 80s!!!!!

Written By: Haman on 04/04/08 at 3:30 pm

I was watching some old cartoons like Looney Tunes, The Smurfs, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Jem, and all the cartoons that I used to watch in the 80s.  Don't worry, you're never too old for cartoons, especially when it comes to Looney Tunes!!! :D   What I'm trying to say is that when I watch these cartoons, I be reminiscing back when I was a child and preteen when life was simple.  You didn't have to pay bills. You didn't have to go through racism because you were too young to know about it.  You didn't have to worry about boys until you went to junior high school.  I miss my youth. Even though I went through some very rough times, I still miss my childhood.  It was the time when it was safe to play outside.  It was the time when it was simple.  It was free.  The only thing that you have to worry about was kids picking on you and homework.  Damn I miss the 80s.

I can identify with what you have written 100%, only I did not have to worry about girls instead of boys, because I am a male and straight  :P

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/05/08 at 2:30 pm

You have to be born between 1964 and 1977 to remember the WHOLE 80s from 1980 to 1989 as either a child, a preteen, or a teenager.  I'm glad to be a Generation Xer.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/05/08 at 2:37 pm

You have to be born between 1965-1978 to remember the WHOLE 80s as either a child or a teenager.  I'm glad to be a Generation Xer.

That's probably true, even like '76ish maybe.

I mean, I've been a huge '80s junkie my whole life and the whole decade had a major influence on me. But obviously it's not like I can remember anything at all before the first part of 1985 or so. Even the songs from the first half of the decade that I grew up with, it's because I heard them a few years later.

I've heard a few people my age who will just tear the '80s a new one too, whereas I don't think anyone who was 12 or 13+ by 1989 would do that.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/05/08 at 2:38 pm

That's probably true, even like '76ish maybe.

I mean, I've been a huge '80s junkie my whole life and the whole decade had a major influence on me. But obviously it's not like I can remember anything at all before the first part of 1985 or so. Even the songs from the first half of the decade that I grew up with, it's because I heard them a few years later.

I've heard a few people my age who will just tear the '80s a new one too, whereas I don't think anyone who was 12 or 13+ by 1989 would do that.

What about those who were born in 1977 like myself?  I remember my childhood starting at 3 years old in 1980.  I remember watching Looney Tunes and Popeye between 1980-1982.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/05/08 at 2:57 pm

^ Oh yeah, you probably had a really good memory (like me), so I'd count that too. :)

Plus, I do think there's a small split between 1977 and '78ers. I know it's really nitpicking lol, but it seems true, based on people I know personally or have observed. I've even heard '78ers kinda dissing certain things from the '80s, but people your age do not seem to.

Maybe it's because you were already into adolescence a little before that magic 1991 line when the Nineties really emerged and started replacing what was cool beforehand. You were 13 or even 14 when some of that Eighties stuff was still dominating the mainstream. Yet someone born in 78/79 was still kind of a child in 1990, so maybe they found it easier to leave behind because it didn't "imprint" them as heavily. Or they were embarrased to admit they used to like it once they got a little older.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/05/08 at 3:38 pm

^ Oh yeah, you probably had a really good memory (like me), so I'd count that too. :)

Plus, I do think there's a small split between 1977 and '78ers. I know it's really nitpicking lol, but it seems true, based on people I know personally or have observed. I've even heard '78ers kinda dissing certain things from the '80s, but people your age do not seem to.

Maybe it's because you were already into adolescence a little before that magic 1991 line when the Nineties really emerged and started replacing what was cool beforehand. You were 13 or even 14 when some of that Eighties stuff was still dominating the mainstream. Yet someone born in 78/79 was still kind of a child in 1990, so maybe they found it easier to leave behind because it didn't "imprint" them as heavily. Or they were embarrased to admit they used to like it once they got a little older.

That is so true.  I notice that when I talk about New Jack Swing in the late 80s, and when I talk about the cartoons that I use to watch and the toys that I use to play with and the movies that I used to watch like Krush Groove and Michael Jackson's Thriller when it FIRST blew up to 1979ers, they look at me like I was crazy!!!!  LMAO!!!!  You are so right.  There is a huge split between 1977 and 1978, there's no doubt about that.  I can relate more to a 1976er than a 1978er.  That's why I consider myself Generation X.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/05/08 at 5:50 pm

^ Oh yeah, I have a couple '79er buddies who give me a hard time about some of the songs I like, so I know how you feel. ;) Even though I'm a late 1981er I'm probably more like a "little 1976er" if you know what I mean.

Even though I was an only child, I did have some kids older than me that I was friends with growing up (in California, some of the Elementary school had mixed ages back then). I also took influence from some babysitters and family friends. It also helped that my parents were into alot of the pop culture of the '80s. My mom was more hardcore into it (i.e. buying albums, going to the malls), but my dad was in his forties and even he likes a number of the songs back then, or watched SNL for example.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/05/08 at 6:35 pm

^ Oh yeah, I have a couple '79er buddies who give me a hard time about some of the songs I like, so I know how you feel. ;) Even though I'm a late 1981er I'm probably more like a "little 1976er" if you know what I mean.

Even though I was an only child, I did have some kids older than me that I was friends with growing up (in California, some of the Elementary school had mixed ages back then). I also took influence from some babysitters and family friends. It also helped that my parents were into alot of the pop culture of the '80s. My mom was more hardcore into it (i.e. buying albums, going to the malls), but my dad was in his forties and even he likes a number of the songs back then, or watched SNL for example.

Yeah, but I'm the last "true" Gen-Xer IMO.  I'm a year younger than a 1976er, so that will make me lean towards Generation X more than somebody that was born in 1978 or 1979.

Written By: KKay on 04/05/08 at 6:39 pm

the 80s was high school and college for me.

great time.
it was a huge time for music and fashion and i'm happy to have been there in such a permissive time and a fun time to party and be myself.
I do miss it.
I'm glad i have those memories.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/05/08 at 6:49 pm

the 80s was high school and college for me.

great time.
it was a huge time for music and fashion and i'm happy to have been there in such a permissive time and a fun time to party and be myself.
I do miss it.
I'm glad i have those memories.

Wow, I know that you had a blast.  I was in elementary and middle school in the 80s.  I'm so blessed to spend my childhood and preteen life in the 80s.  I wouldn't miss it for the world.  I was in high school in the early 90s before all of the dangerous stuff was about to happen.  I feel sorry for these kids and teenagers who have to grow up in this era.  They don't know how to be kids and teenagers anymore.  We as Gen Xers are lucky!!!

Written By: KKay on 04/05/08 at 6:52 pm

Wow, I know that you had a blast.  I was in elementary and middle school in the 80s.  I'm so blessed to spend my childhood and preteen life in the 80s.  I wouldn't miss it for the world.  I was in high school in the early 90s before all of the dangerous stuff was about to happen.  I feel sorry for these kids and teenagers who have to grow up in this era.  They don't know how to be kids and teenagers anymore.  We as Gen Xers are lucky!!!

preachin' to the choir.

i tell some people and they disagree, but it was great.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/05/08 at 6:59 pm

preachin' to the choir.

i tell some people and they disagree, but it was great.

I know.  I wish I can go back to the 80s.  It was so innocent, so simple.  Children were children, preteens were preteens, teens were teens, and adults were adults.  Kids back then weren't trying to grow up some fast.  We enjoyed being a kid.

Written By: woops on 04/05/08 at 7:50 pm

If I had been around (ie older)  in the 1980', I'd probably be slightly different... though some of the technology's good and Looney Tunes, MGM, and other classic cartoons are on DVD uncut.  8)

The 1980's wasn't a good era for animation since most cartoons were either long toy commercials or too preachy.

Popular music was great though...

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/05/08 at 8:07 pm

Good point. From everything I've seen, late '70s born kids seemed to be the ones that hated the '80s the most in the '90s. Most of them probably had some childhood nostalgia, but the 1977-1980 group seemed to be the biggest haters of '80s culture as a whole. Of course, that could probably be attributed to them being the 1991-1995 high school set, and at that time there was a huge backlash against the '80s.

I suppose a '77er could have grown a bit more attached to '80s pop culture/music since they would have already had time to develop some of there own tastes by 1991/'92 and they might not have been willing to let go of it. As a 1987er, I've always been a bit more attached to mid/late '90s music than most new stuff anyway, so I could see a '77er being the same way.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/05/08 at 8:17 pm

Good point. From everything I've seen, late '70s born kids seemed to be the ones that hated the '80s the most in the '90s. Most of them probably had some childhood nostalgia, but the 1977-1980 group seemed to be the biggest haters of '80s culture as a whole. Of course, that could probably be attributed to them being the 1991-1995 high school set, and at that time there was a huge backlash against the '80s.

I suppose a '77er could have grown a bit more attached to '80s pop culture/music since they would have already had time to develop some of there own tastes by 1991/'92 and they might not have been willing to let go of it. As a 1987er, I've always been a bit more attached to mid/late '90s music than most new stuff anyway, so I could see a '77er being the same way.

I happen to be a '77er as well..and I've never been an 80's hater, not at all. That decade was filled with some of my most precious memories from my childhood. I have always though, felt like I was born WAY after my "time"...I mean, I have always been very interested in past decades (mainly the 50's-70's). I have always considered myself to be an "old soul"...and born in the wrong time period. Even though my favorite songs/fashions/etc...happened to NOT be from the 80's (although the toys totally rocked, and so did the TV shows,cartoons, movies, etc)...I can appreciate that time period for what it was worth. It was the best setting for a great childhood filled with many fond memories. :)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/05/08 at 8:36 pm

I happen to be a '77er as well..and I've never been an 80's hater, not at all. That decade was filled with some of my most precious memories from my childhood. I have always though, felt like I was born WAY after my "time"...I mean, I have always been very interested in past decades (mainly the 50's-70's). I have always considered myself to be an "old soul"...and born in the wrong time period. Even though my favorite songs/fashions/etc...happened to NOT be from the 80's (although the toys totally rocked, and so did the TV shows,cartoons, movies, etc)...I can appreciate that time period for what it was worth. It was the best setting for a great childhood filled with many fond memories. :)

I like to think of myself being the same way. When I was in high school, I went through a classic rock "period" where I listened almost exclusively to the Stones/Who/etc. for close to a year. I got picked on a bit for it, but it was what I liked anyway.

I never understood why someone would want to limit themselves to just liking what's currently popular anyway. Especially these days with finding old music on the internet being so easy to do. I love my childhood days in the '90s as well, but I like music from the '50s-'00s :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/05/08 at 8:41 pm

I like to think of myself being the same way. When I was in high school, I went through a classic rock "period" where I listened almost exclusively to the Stones/Who/etc. for close to a year. I got picked on a bit for it, but it was what I liked anyway.

I never understood why someone would want to limit themselves to just liking what's currently popular anyway. Especially these days with finding old music on the internet being so easy to do. I love my childhood days in the '90s as well, but I like music from the '50s-'00s :)

That's a really great point! I am so glad that I had influences over the years broaden my musical horizons. I had an ex introduce me to a lot of great '70's music, even though that was the only good thing that came from the relationship...it was at least positive.

I never understood why people ridiculed others for listening to certain kinds of music (especially making fun of those that didn't happen to like the top 40 kind of stuff)...I have always loved older music. I say, to each his/her own, ya know? :)

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/05/08 at 9:02 pm

I disagree with you on that point.  I'm a 1977er, and I never hated the 80s culture. I embraced the 80s and early 90s culture.  That's the great thing about being born in 1977.  I get to embrace the best of both worlds.  The 80s is my childhood, and I will never let go of them.  You probably talking about 1978-1981, because people my age and older love the 80s and early 90s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/05/08 at 9:16 pm

I disagree with you on that point.  I'm a 1977er, and I never hated the 80s culture. I embraced the 80s and early 90s culture.  That's the great thing about being born in 1977.  I get to embrace the best of both worlds.  The 80s is my childhood, and I will never let go of them.  You probably talking about 1978-1981, because people my age and older love the 80s and early 90s.

Well, I was speaking more in generalities. 1975ers through 1979ers often have very different opinions of the '80s. Plenty of '77ers did continue to like the '80s(such as yourself ;)), but since most of them started high school in 1991, which was the same year that grunge came along and began to wipe out '80s pop culture, there are also many of them that did gravitate toward the grunge/gangsta rap scene c. 1993.

I do agree that a '77er could have gotten enough experience with the music and culture of the '80s to "stick with them" throughout the early '90s backlash. 

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/05/08 at 9:22 pm

That's a really great point! I am so glad that I had influences over the years broaden my musical horizons. I had an ex introduce me to a lot of great '70's music, even though that was the only good thing that came from the relationship...it was at least positive.

I never understood why people ridiculed others for listening to certain kinds of music (especially making fun of those that didn't happen to like the top 40 kind of stuff)...I have always loved older music. I say, to each his/her own, ya know? :)

I've wondered about that too. I suppose it has to do with the "clique" oriented nature of high school and middle school. Now that so many songs in the top 40 are so bad, I don't know how anybody can listen to just that anymore.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/05/08 at 9:29 pm

I've wondered about that too. I suppose it has to do with the "clique" oriented nature of high school and middle school. Now that so many songs in the top 40 are so bad, I don't know how anybody can listen to just that anymore.

Yo are SO right. The change of culture has a LOT to do with what kind of clique that you hang with during the middle school and high school era.  Luckily, I was in middle school in the late 80s, so that's probably the reason why I love New Jack Swing so much in the 80s.  I notice that the younger Gen Xers are most likely going to listen to New-Jack Swing, Grunge, Gangsta, conscious rap jazz-rap, pop-rap in late 80s and early 90s.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/05/08 at 9:31 pm

Well, I was speaking more in generalities. 1975ers through 1979ers often have very different opinions of the '80s. Plenty of '77ers did continue to like the '80s(such as yourself ;)), but since most of them started high school in 1991, which was the same year that grunge came along and began to wipe out '80s pop culture, there are also many of them that did gravitate toward the grunge/gangsta rap scene c. 1993.

I do agree that a '77er could have gotten enough experience with the music and culture of the '80s to "stick with them" throughout the early '90s backlash. 

It's kind of funny because even though grunge was very popular when I was in high school...I never got into it, infact, I really didn't like it at all.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/05/08 at 10:27 pm

I hated grunge and gangsta rap when I was in high school.  I was more into New Jack Swing at the time.  I was more into Tevin Campbell, Jodeci, The Boys, En Vogue Boyz II Men.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/05/08 at 11:09 pm

I hated grunge and gangsta rap when I was in high school.  I was more into New Jack Swing at the time.   I was more into Tevin Campbell, Jodeci, The Boys, En Vogue Boyz II Men.

do you remember Perfect Gentlemen?

Written By: snozberries on 04/06/08 at 12:24 pm

Sure, absolutely...

The target market for all these DVD TV series?  We are.  Who else buys the complete series of "The Brady Bunch" and "Diffrent Strokes" on DVD?  We do.  TV Land?  We are (we're probably the market keeping it alive).  Remastered and re-released CDs?  We are.  Go Go's, Van Halen and the Police reunion tours?  We are.  VH1 Classic?  We are.  Depeche Mode and Duran Duran songs in TV commercials?  We are.  Shows like High School Reunion and The Big 4-0?  We are.  The "Hollywood remake"?  We are.  Transformers and My Little Pony can yet be found on toy store shelves.  We're buying the stuff we had for our kids.  Media execs definately know this...

Maybe someday...nah, it'll never happen...

so.... I'm not the only person watching High School Reunion?  http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj222/Nonnie87/Smiley/250.gif

Written By: snozberries on 04/06/08 at 12:33 pm

I think you have an interest in the 50s/60s because the 80s was obsessed with it as well... a ton of movies set decades earlier came out in the 70s and 80s .... grease, happy days, lords of Flatbush... were 70s and then films like Back to the Future, Baby It's You, Diner we're from the 80s.
Look at the Stray Cats.... their music was a fusion of 80's new wave and 50s rockabilly. 

You were destined to appreciate the earlier generations because you were conditioned to.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/06/08 at 2:31 pm

do you remember Perfect Gentlemen?

I remember that group.  I remember when they used to wear "Ooh La La" out  a lot back in the day.  That's the only song that I liked from them, but as far as buying their album, NO WAY!!!!!  I stick to The Boys and Tevin Campbell.  They were more talented than Perfect Gentlemen.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/06/08 at 2:34 pm

I think you have an interest in the 50s/60s because the 80s was obsessed with it as well... a ton of movies set decades earlier came out in the 70s and 80s .... grease, happy days, lords of Flatbush... were 70s and then films like Back to the Future, Baby It's You, Diner we're from the 80s.
Look at the Stray Cats.... their music was a fusion of 80's new wave and 50s rockabilly. 

You were destined to appreciate the earlier generations because you were conditioned to.

Don't forget Shag!!!

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/06/08 at 3:39 pm

Yeah, the '50s and pre-Vietnam '60s had a huge influence on the '80s, with alot of the stuff you described. I think the musicians took alot from that time in terms of short, poppy and sunnier songs. I think that's why I like both myself.

I'd say The Go Gos, Hall and Oates, early Michael Jackson/Madonna, David Lee Roth, Huey Lewis and Cyndi were like that too. Oh, and Billy Joel on that Innocent Man album. You can also tell by the covers of music from that era. It seems like alot of the songs were about actual experiences or nostalgia for that time which the singers had. Like "Make Me Lose Control" by Eric Carmen.

I hated grunge and gangsta rap when I was in high school.  I was more into New Jack Swing at the time.   I was more into Tevin Campbell, Jodeci, The Boys, En Vogue Boyz II Men.

Same here. In 1991 to '95 or so, I was mostly into pop, certain R&B and adult contemporary. Like "How Do You Talk to an Angel", that time's Mariah Carey, "The Sign" by Ace of Base, Del Amitri, Boyz II Men, Gin Blossoms etc. Of course I was into '80s and older stuff too, but I mean for current songs.

The weird thing I was never much of a grunge fan either (despite being around the age for it), but I like some of the milder alternative rock.

Written By: snozberries on 04/06/08 at 3:40 pm

Don't forget Shag!!!

shag the movie!  Awesome addition!

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/06/08 at 4:59 pm

Yeah, the '50s and pre-Vietnam '60s had a huge influence on the '80s, with alot of the stuff you described. I think the musicians took alot from that time in terms of short, poppy and sunnier songs. I think that's why I like both myself.

I'd say The Go Gos, Hall and Oates, early Michael Jackson/Madonna, David Lee Roth, Huey Lewis and Cyndi were like that too. Oh, and Billy Joel on that Innocent Man album. You can also tell by the covers of music from that era. It seems like alot of the songs were about actual experiences or nostalgia for that time which the singers had. Like "Make Me Lose Control" by Eric Carmen.

Same here. In 1991 to '95 or so, I was mostly into pop, certain R&B and adult contemporary. Like "How Do You Talk to an Angel", that time's Mariah Carey, "The Sign" by Ace of Base, Del Amitri, Boyz II Men, Gin Blossoms etc. Of course I was into '80s and older stuff too, but I mean for current songs.

The weird thing I was never much of a grunge fan either (despite being around the age for it), but I like some of the milder alternative rock.

I notice that's the reason why the early to mid 80s was so whitebread, the music, the movies, the clothes, the shows, etc. (forgive me if I offend anyone).  The 50s and early 60s (1960-1964) was very Eurocentric just like the early to mid 80s.  The mid to late 80s remind me of the mid to late 60s because in the mid to late 60s, that's when the Black Power movement, the Civil Rights movement, and the Flower child, hippie era started.  The mid to late 80s was just like the mid to late 60s.  In the mid to late 80s, the Afrocentric black pride, the hippies, the fight for justice started .      I was there, so I can talk about it.  When I was in elementary and middle school, the children and preteens were pretty much the same as far as music, toys, fashion, and everything.  I love the 80s.  I'm not prejudice.  As a matter of fact, I spend most of my childhood, preteen, and teenage life in a predominately white neighborhood after 1985.  I think that the 80s was the best time to be a child and a preteen or young teen.  The 90s was nostalgic of the 70s.  Everything in the 90s was 70s influenced.  The clothes, the music, the fashion, the TV shows, and everything.  Maybe that's the reason why the 90s reminded me of the 70s.  Somebody said that the  mid 60s and 70s pop culture was VERY African-American influenced, you know, the funk, soul, disco, blaxpoitation era.  It's funny.  They said the same thing about the 90s!!!!!!!  They said that the 90s pop culture was VERY black, you know, the movies, the music, the clothes, the Afros, everything.  I wore bellbottoms in 1993 when I was in the 11th grade.  The late 90s reminded me of disco to me.  I mean look at the shiny flashy clothes that Puff Daddy and other artists wore in 1997?

Written By: snozberries on 04/06/08 at 5:08 pm

I notice that's the reason why the early to mid 80s was so whitebread, the music, the moves, the clothes, the shows, etc. (forgive me if I offend anyone).  The 50s and early 60s (1960-1964) was very Eurocentric just like the early to mid 80s.  The mid to late 80s remind me of the mid to late 60s because in the mid to late 60s, that's when the Black Power movement, the Civil Rights movement, and the Flower child, hippie era started.  The mid to late 80s was just like the mid to late 60s.  In the mid to late 80s, the Afrocentric black pride, the hippies, the fight for justice started .      I was there, so I can talk about it.  When I was in elementary and middle school, the children and preteens were pretty much the same as far as music, toys, fashion, and everything.  I love the 80s.  I'm not prejudice.  As a matter of fact, I spend most of my childhood, preteen, and teenage life in a predominately white neighborhood after 1985.  I think that the 80s was the best time to be a child and a preteen or young teen.  The 90s was nostalgic of the 70s.  Everything in the 90s was 70s influenced.  The clothes, the music, the fashion, the TV shows, and everything.  Maybe that's the reason why the 90s reminded me of the 70s.  Somebody said that the  mid 60s and 70s pop culture was VERY African-American influenced, you know, the funk, soul, disco, blaxpoitation era.  It's funny.  They said the same thing about the 90s!!!!!!!  They said that the 90s pop culture was VERY black, you know, the movies, the music, the clothes, the Afros, everything.  I wore bellbottoms in 1993 when I was in the 11th grade.  The late 90s reminded me of disco to me.  I mean look at the shiny flashy clothes that Puff Daddy and other artists wore in 1997?

I don't disagree.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/06/08 at 6:20 pm

Yeah, that's true about the '80s kinda progressing and paralleling the time that was exactly twenty years ago. I agree that early MTV generation (1981 to 1985/86) was very suburban, clean cut and "white oriented" in a sense. That's probably because the Reagan era was trying to return to the more innocent and suburban 1950s and early '60s. Like that JFK era especially. The synthy, polished and sunny music just reflected that. Personally I love both aspects, but some of my favorite pop songs are from that timeframe.

Does anyone agree with my previous post?

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/06/08 at 7:08 pm

Yeah, that's true about the '80s kinda progressing and paralleling the time that was exactly twenty years ago. I agree that early MTV generation (1981 to 1985/86) was very suburban, clean cut and "white oriented" in a sense. That's probably because the Reagan era was trying to return to the more innocent and suburban 1950s and early '60s. Like that JFK era especially. The synthy, polished and sunny music just reflected that. Personally I love both aspects, but some of my favorite pop songs are from that timeframe.

Does anyone agree with my previous post?

I agree with your previous post.  Come to think of it, I like 80s "clean cut" music of the early to mid 80s as well as the edgier music of the mid to late 80s (1986/87 to 1989).  The early to mid 80s (1981 to 1985/86) was VERY suburbanite, yes, but I like that music, too. I like Culture Club, Phil Collins, Yes, Wham!, Madonna, Prince, Cyndi Lauper, Kenny Loggins, Hall and Oates, Olivia Newton-John, Eurthymics, etc.  That's my childhood.  The early to mid 80s pop culture catered to the middle to upper class people of ALL races.  Look at The Cosby Show.  It's an all-black sitcom about a middle class black family.  Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Diana Ross, Tina Turner, Anita Baker, Lionel Ritchie, Luther Vandross, Natalie Cole, Sade, Freddie Jackson, Kool and the Gang catered to not only white middle class, but black middle class, too.  I grew up middle class in the 80s.  I never grew up poor and in the ghetto.     It reflects my childhood and the happy days that I had regardless of what I went through.  It seems like the mid to late 80s pop culture (1986/1987 to 1989)  became more and more urban, and that's why you notice that Yo! MTV raps, Afrocentric movement, Spike Lee's movies, Coming to America, Hollywood Shuffle, and all these all-black movies started to come out around this time.  Black music in the 80s was innocent.  It was more innocent than in the 90s I tell you that.  The 90s were more teen and adult-oriented.  The 90s pop culture didn't cater to children.  Everything in the 90s catered to teens and adults.  The 70s and 90s pop culture was the blackest pop culture in my opinion.  If I have to choose, I choose 80s and early 90s (1990-1994) pop culture.

Written By: Davester on 04/06/08 at 7:39 pm

so.... I'm not the only person watching High School Reunion?  http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj222/Nonnie87/Smiley/250.gif

I couldn't resist...

Yeah, that's true about the '80s kinda progressing and paralleling the time that was exactly twenty years ago. I agree that early MTV generation (1981 to 1985/86) was very suburban, clean cut and "white oriented" in a sense. That's probably because the Reagan era was trying to return to the more innocent and suburban 1950s and early '60s. Like that JFK era especially. The synthy, polished and sunny music just reflected that.

Heh yeah, innocent and suburban, except when you lived in the inner city...

Reagan will be remembered for, among other things, trying to define ketchup as a "vegetable" (Ketchupgate) because he didn't like the idea of spending a few dollars so that poor children could have at least one guaranteed decent meal a day was pretty symbolic of his rob from the poor to give to the rich policies.  His administration saw the homeless population in the U.S. double to 1.2 million over the course of a single year with a high number of them being vets, mentally ill and children...

He ignored the AIDS crisis because he felt the homosexuals, and drug addicts whom the virus effected the most were expendable, and not important to him...

He also slashed federal funding of tuberculosis treatment programs.  TB had been largely under control at the time and was thought to be nearing extinction, at least in the US, but hey, what's controlling a crippling but easily preventable disease compared to the ability to instantly disintegrate massive populations of starving communists thousands of miles away..?

Sorry, I heard someone mention Reagan in a "child in the 80s" thread... :P

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/06/08 at 7:47 pm

I couldn't resist...

Heh yeah, innocent and suburban, except when you lived in the inner city...

Reagan will be remembered for, among other things, trying to define ketchup as a "vegetable" (Ketchupgate) because he didn't like the idea of spending a few dollars so that poor children could have at least one guaranteed decent meal a day was pretty symbolic of his rob from the poor to give to the rich policies.  His administration saw the homeless population in the U.S. double to 1.2 million over the course of a single year with a high number of them being vets, mentally ill and children...

He ignored the AIDS crisis because he felt the homosexuals, and drug addicts whom the virus effected the most were expendable, and not important to him...

He also slashed federal funding of tuberculosis treatment programs.  TB had been largely under control at the time and was thought to be nearing extinction, at least in the US, but hey, what's controlling a crippling but easily preventable disease compared to the ability to instantly disintegrate massive populations of starving communists thousands of miles away..?

Sorry, I heard someone mention Reagan in a "child in the 80s" thread... :P

I didn't grew up in the suburban area, but I didn't grew up in the ghetto either, so I didn't know how it was in the hood until I visited my mother in North Philly.  In 1985, my fahter and I moved in a middle class area in Philadelphia where we were the one of the first African-Americans to moved there.  I was pretty much fortunate that I didn't grew up in the ghetto.  I was originally from North Philly, but I was raised in a middle class neighborhood. 

Written By: Davester on 04/06/08 at 8:00 pm

I didn't grew up in the suburban area, but I didn't grew up in the ghetto either, so I didn't know how it was in the hood until I visited my mother in North Philly.  In 1985, my fahter and I moved in a middle class area in Philadelphia where we were the one of the first African-Americans to moved there.  I was pretty much fortunate that I didn't grew up in the ghetto.  I was originally from North Philly, but I was raised in a middle class neighborhood. 

Philly - so do you recall anything about Philielphia PD's bombing of the tenement inhabited by MOVE in 1985..?

Disgraceful.  Tragic....

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/06/08 at 8:07 pm

Philly - so do you recall anything about Philielphia PD's bombing of the tenement inhabited by MOVE in 1985..?

Disgraceful.  Tragic....

I think so.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/06/08 at 9:46 pm

that's true to an extent. I also have to thank my parents for instilling a love of the 50's within me (as that is when they grew up and always favored that era). Growing up, they would paint a picture of how things were when they were young, and it always seemed so nice/calm compared to now. I always loved the styles from that era as well, as I am currently working on renovating my kitchen to resemble a 50's diner! :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/07/08 at 1:27 pm

I agree with your previous post.  Come to think of it, I like 80s "clean cut" music of the early to mid 80s as well as the edgier music of the mid to late 80s (1986/87 to 1989).  The early to mid 80s (1981 to 1985/86) was VERY suburbanite, yes, but I like that music, too. I like Culture Club, Phil Collins, Yes, Wham!, Madonna, Prince, Cyndi Lauper, Kenny Loggins, Hall and Oates, Olivia Newton-John, Eurthymics, etc.  That's my childhood.  The early to mid 80s pop culture catered to the middle to upper class people of ALL races.  Look at The Cosby Show.  It's an all-black sitcom about a middle class black family.  Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Diana Ross, Tina Turner, Anita Baker, Lionel Ritchie, Luther Vandross, Natalie Cole, Sade, Freddie Jackson, Kool and the Gang catered to not only white middle class, but black middle class, too.  I grew up middle class in the 80s.  I never grew up poor and in the ghetto.     It reflects my childhood and the happy days that I had regardless of what I went through.  It seems like the mid to late 80s pop culture (1986/1987 to 1989)  became more and more urban, and that's why you notice that Yo! MTV raps, Afrocentric movement, Spike Lee's movies, Coming to America, Hollywood Shuffle, and all these all-black movies started to come out around this time.  Black music in the 80s was innocent.  It was more innocent than in the 90s I tell you that.  The 90s were more teen and adult-oriented.  The 90s pop culture didn't cater to children.  Everything in the 90s catered to teens and adults.  The 70s and 90s pop culture was the blackest pop culture in my opinion.  If I have to choose, I choose 80s and early 90s (1990-1994) pop culture.

Yeah I pretty much agree with that. It maybe wasn't so much "white" as just more across the board because it was appealing to everyone. Cosby came across as a show where they happened to be black, but they didn't really focus on that. Even the Fresh Prince in the early '90s sorta came across the same race-neutral way to me. The black pop musicians like Lionel Richie reflected that as well.

True, the 1980s were very kid-friendly, probably focusing most on people around 12 to 30 with casual appeal to older adults as well. Especially the lighter pop music.

Hmmm, I kinda half agree with the '90s. I think there were lots of "kid" things then, too. Just from my personal observation and what I remember...it seems like kids stayed kids longer, but teens "acted older" and there was sort of a more grownup, serious atmosphere, just in a laid back and fun way, if that makes any sense.

I remember thinking of 15 year olds basically as total adults. As time passed, I thought it was maybe just because I was younger, but even looking at clips of '90s teenagers today, they still seem somewhat like that, at least compared to today, where the tendency is to dress, act and look young.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/07/08 at 2:31 pm

Yeah I pretty much agree with that. It maybe wasn't so much "white" as just more across the board because it was appealing to everyone. Cosby came across as a show where they happened to be black, but they didn't really focus on that. Even the Fresh Prince in the early '90s sorta came across the same race-neutral way to me. The black pop musicians like Lionel Richie reflected that as well.

True, the 1980s were very kid-friendly, probably focusing most on people around 12 to 30 with casual appeal to older adults as well. Especially the lighter pop music.

Hmmm, I kinda half agree with the '90s. I think there were lots of "kid" things then, too. Just from my personal observation and what I remember...it seems like kids stayed kids longer, but teens "acted older" and there was sort of a more grownup, serious atmosphere, just in a laid back and fun way, if that makes any sense.

I remember thinking of 15 year olds basically as total adults. As time passed, I thought it was maybe just because I was younger, but even looking at clips of '90s teenagers today, they still seem somewhat like that, at least compared to today, where the tendency is to dress, act and look young.

You're right.  It was like that in the 90s.  I think early 90s teens acted more like teens than the mid to late 90s teens.  I notice that because as an early 90s teen, we acted more like teens than mid to late 90s teens.  When I mean teens, I mean REAL teens like ages 13-16.  I didn't add 17 because you're close to an adult age of 18.  I notice that people who were early 90s teen get ridiculed by mid to late 90s teen for acting immature.  I'm a witness to that.  My cousin who was a mid to late 90s teen made fun of me for acting immature for my age.  There's a definite gap between early 90s teen, mid 90s teen, and late 90s teen.  I see it.  The behaviors are different.  As far as the 80s are concerned, I think that it appeal to children, preteens, and teenagers.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/07/08 at 2:36 pm

Also, I can identify with The Cosby Show and Fresh Prince of Bel-Air because I grew up in a middle class neighborhood.  I couldn't identify with Good Times.  I always thought that The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and The Cosby Show were just alike as far a racial neutrality and middle and upper class upbringing.

Written By: dodgeboy on 04/08/08 at 2:56 am

I don't post here very often but this thread prompted me to do so LOL. I am another '77 baby here. You made some interesting observations about '77 borns and how you longed for the 80s and early 90s. Sure I may be born kinda late into the 70s, but I even got to remember a little bit of the very late 70s cuz my memories started when I was very young, like when I was 2 or maybe a bit earlier. I even remember hearing about John Lennon being shot when I was 3.5 years old. My mom showed me one of her Beatles albums with the picture of John Lennon and told me he died, and I actually felt sad. However in the late 70s/early 80s we didn't have a TV so I missed hearing about Reagan being shot, etc. I did remember him being reelected in '84 though. Also remember lots of other 80s stuff including fashions and some music. Anyway, I never hated the 80s back in the 90s, I did like the 80s but was more interested in the 50s-70s as I was and still am a big nostalgic junkie! There was an old thread somewhere on this page saying that many '77 borns tend to like the 80s, the '78s on average may like the 80s a little less. Also I remember back in HS the class of '95 (those born in late '76 and most of '77) seemed pretty old school compared to those only 1-2 years younger, some kids even had slight tinges of 80sness in the hair style and the like (making them look a little like the 80s teens) but that was at least my school. Anyway, back to the topic yes I do miss the 80s nowadays, I was lucky to have grown up in the carefree ways before paranoia and all those laws protecting kids appeared (such as kids not being allowed to stay alone at home too long). I collect lots of 70s and 80s TV shows on DVDs nowadays, one of my favorite 80s classics is called The A Team. What's your fav?

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/08/08 at 4:41 am

I don't post here very often but this thread prompted me to do so LOL. I am another '77 baby here. You made some interesting observations about '77 borns and how you longed for the 80s and early 90s. Sure I may be born kinda late into the 70s, but I even got to remember a little bit of the very late 70s cuz my memories started when I was very young, like when I was 2 or maybe a bit earlier. I even remember hearing about John Lennon being shot when I was 3.5 years old. My mom showed me one of her Beatles albums with the picture of John Lennon and told me he died, and I actually felt sad. However in the late 70s/early 80s we didn't have a TV so I missed hearing about Reagan being shot, etc. I did remember him being reelected in '84 though. Also remember lots of other 80s stuff including fashions and some music. Anyway, I never hated the 80s back in the 90s, I did like the 80s but was more interested in the 50s-70s as I was and still am a big nostalgic junkie! There was an old thread somewhere on this page saying that many '77 borns tend to like the 80s, the '78s on average may like the 80s a little less. Also I remember back in HS the class of '95 (those born in late '76 and most of '77) seemed pretty old school compared to those only 1-2 years younger, some kids even had slight tinges of 80sness in the hair style and the like (making them look a little like the 80s teens) but that was at least my school. Anyway, back to the topic yes I do miss the 80s nowadays, I was lucky to have grown up in the carefree ways before paranoia and all those laws protecting kids appeared (such as kids not being allowed to stay alone at home too long). I collect lots of 70s and 80s TV shows on DVDs nowadays, one of my favorite 80s classics is called The A Team. What's your fav?

Man, I have a whole lot of 80s favorites.  Well, let me narrow it down for you including the theatrical cartoons of the 30s, 40s, and 50s.  Smurfs, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Gummie Bears, The Cosby Show, Different Strokes, The Jeffersons, A Different World, Silver Spoons, Punky Brewster, Kids Incorporated, The A Team, Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Popeye, Mork and Mindy, Mr. Belvedere, Webster, Growing Pains, and all the 80s stuff.  We must be twins or something because be both have strong memories, and you're right.  I've been saying that all along.  I think that people who were born in 1977 is the very last true Generation Xer because in order to be an Xer, in my opinion, you have to recall stuff and experience some stuff from 1980-1989 even if it's a little bit.  It's a biological fact.  Most adults are more likely going to remember their childhood beginning at 3 years old.  When I was like 2.5 or 3, I used to watch a lot of TV and listen to a lot of music, and I didn't hear Reagan get shot, but I remember when Reagan became president.  I was watching Looney Tunes and Popeye, and my mother and I used to move around to different neighborhoods a lot from 1980-1982.  I believe that Generation Xers is from 1964-1977.  It's a biological fact.  I know because I notice that people who are the class of 1995, like you said, those who were born in late 1976 to 1977 tend to embrace the 80s, early 90s, and older school pop culture more than someone that was born in 1978 and after.  Sure there are some 1978ers and over that like the 80s like whistledog and coquet83, but on average, and I see this, most 1978ers and over DESPISE the 80s more than those who were 1 or 2 years older than them.  I notice that there is a gap between a 1976/1977er and 1978/1979er.   I know because when I was talking about the 1980s pop culture and the music to them, they look a me like I was crazy and tell me "That's old.  Get in with the times".  That's when I notice the gap, and that's why I said that the people who were born in 1977 is the last true Gen-Xer, and I don't care what the researchers say.  I go by facts.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/08/08 at 1:01 pm

haha born in late 1976 and graduated high school in June 1994  :D

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/08/08 at 1:06 pm

Excuse me, but I was born in '78 and I miss/appreciate the 80's just as much as you 77'ers!  >:(

:P

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/08/08 at 1:07 pm

Excuse me, but I was born in '78 and I miss/appreciate the 80's just as much as you 77'ers!  >:(

:P

aww...you can be one of us Bill! :) ;D

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/08/08 at 10:02 pm

Forgive me, I don't mean to offend anyone or hurt someone's feelings.  That's not my intention, but I'm just stating my experiences backed up with researches, observations, and facts.  Bill, you, coqueta83, whistledog , and other 1978ers may love the 80s and embrace them because it's part of your childhood, but according to what Tanya, dodgeboy, Marty McFly, and myself said and see for ourselves, most people (on average) who were born in 1978 and beyond have a tendency to despise or have little fondness for 80s pop culture.  I heard them myself, especially in high school and at my first job, Lord have mercy.  They were telling me that I was outdated when I listen to music that came out of the 70s,  80s and the early half of the 90s (1990-1994).  They told me to listen to music of TODAY, and not YESTERDAY.  I mean, they had a ball on me.  I never forget that.  The people who said this to me are mostly those who were born in 1978 and after.  I am not lying to you.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/09/08 at 12:18 am

Forgive me, I don't mean to offend anyone or hurt someone's feelings.  That's not my intention, but I'm just stating my experiences backed up with researches, observations, and facts.  Bill, you, coqueta83, whistledog , and other 1978ers may love the 80s and embrace them because it's part of your childhood, but according to what Tanya, dodgeboy, Marty McFly, and myself said and see for ourselves, most people (on average) who were born in 1978 and beyond have a tendency to despise or have little fondness for 80s pop culture.  I heard them myself, especially in high school and at my first job, Lord have mercy.  They were telling me that I was outdated when I listen to music that came out of the 70s,  80s and the early half of the 90s (1990-1994).  They told me to listen to music of TODAY, and not YESTERDAY.  I mean, they had a ball on me.  I never forget that.  The people who said this to me are mostly those who were born in 1978 and after.  I am not lying to you.

no offense taken. ;) I think a lot of it has to do with where you grew up too. I mean, I think it all depends on what your surroundings were like...or what  or who influenced you. I mean you could take a situation and take someone that was born in 1978 and beyond...but if they happened to have an older brother or sister...their opinions could definitely be swayed. They could have been influenced to have a love of the 80's. It all depends on the person, no one is the same. :)

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/09/08 at 12:24 am

no offense taken. ;) I think a lot of it has to do with where you grew up too. I mean, I think it all depends on what your surroundings were like...or what  or who influenced you. I mean you could take a situation and take someone that was born in 1978 and beyond...but if they happened to have an older brother or sister...their opinions could definitely be swayed. They could have been influenced to have a love of the 80's. It all depends on the person, no one is the same. :)

That's true.  I was just stating an average 1978er and beyond who is the oldest or is the only child, but like you said.  If someone that was born in 1978 and beyond has an older sibling, nine times out of ten, he or she will most likely going to like the 80s, or even the 70s pop culture more than those who were the oldest or the only child. 

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/09/08 at 12:41 am

Yeah, I wasn't trying to make generalizations either, my bad if I offended anyone. ;)

Simply put I think it just depends on the individual, because our personal experiences are all different. Yeah, there might be SOME truth about the whole "fan of the 80s" thing getting a little iffy when you get to people born around 1978 and after (just because they may've had less time to get attached to the Eighties culture. Or if they liked it in childhood, maybe they gave it up as they became embarrased by it as teens).

But...just because some people had that experience doesn't mean everyone will. There's so many ways of developing your tastes and you can always get into stuff secondhand. Hey I'm an '80s lover born in 1981 and I never rebelled against it. In fact I've gotten deeper into it over time, just because that's what I started off liking. Partially from my "cooler" parents and just self discovery (i.e. renting movies, being around other kids who liked it, watching VH1, buying more music).

You can never tell what someone will like based on their age, I've met so many different people who are into certain things...and I think that variety makes it cool. Nowadays it's even more across the board, since more kids and teens tend to be "old school" than in past generations.

Written By: Davester on 04/09/08 at 1:39 am

I notice that's the reason why the early to mid 80s was so whitebread, the music, the moves, the clothes, the shows, etc. (forgive me if I offend anyone).  The 50s and early 60s (1960-1964) was very Eurocentric just like the early to mid 80s.  The mid to late 80s remind me of the mid to late 60s because in the mid to late 60s, that's when the Black Power movement, the Civil Rights movement, and the Flower child, hippie era started.  The mid to late 80s was just like the mid to late 60s.  In the mid to late 80s, the Afrocentric black pride, the hippies, the fight for justice started .

I think interracial relationships increased quite a bit among young people in the 80s and 90s, although it remained taboo in pop media.  The X crowd is described as being the most racially tolerant and open minded...

Would you agree with that..?

Edited to add:  I just wanted to add that the student body in my schools, both grammar and high, were almost exclusively White although there were a number of Latino students.  That is until the 80s.  We had a HUGE influx of Black and Asian students beginning right out of the gate, in 1980-81, due to increased immigration.  Greater racial and cultural diversity in the schools led to greater acceptance and integration and ,for my part, allowed me to make friends with people of many races.  Before that, for instance, the only time I saw Black people or Asian people was (1) When we left town, (2) on TV, (3) in the movies.  And, again, from my experience, you didn't talk about race before that.  You just didn't...

Written By: dodgeboy on 04/09/08 at 4:10 am

Bill, sorry if I offended you, I never meant to say that ALL '78s hate the 80s, just it seems more '78ers seem to do so than '77s but I'm glad you like the 80s, nothing wrong with that man. I have several friends born in '78 and even all the way to '83 who love the 80s, one of the '83ers is a big fan of 80s music cuz he remembers his parents playing 80s music back then. On the other hand, when I was growing up I got to know and become friends with many Gen Xers born in the early 70s and even remember some 80s teens born in the late 60s (I have a few as friends too). My best friend growing up together was born in '75. So you can see there's a long range there and I actually don't care about age itself so much, just that I can't relate to the thought that thinks the 80s was lame cuz it didn't have grunge nor bloody, violent video games such as Mortal Kombat and Half-Life (I heard the latter is even worse than mortal kombat!).

Written By: dodgeboy on 04/09/08 at 4:28 am

Man, I have a whole lot of 80s favorites.  Well, let me narrow it down for you including the theatrical cartoons of the 30s, 40s, and 50s.  Smurfs, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Gummie Bears, The Cosby Show, Different Strokes, The Jeffersons, A Different World, Silver Spoons, Punky Brewster, Kids Incorporated, The A Team, Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Popeye, Mork and Mindy, Mr. Belvedere, Webster, Growing Pains, and all the 80s stuff.  We must be twins or something because be both have strong memories, and you're right.  I've been saying that all along.  I think that people who were born in 1977 is the very last true Generation Xer because in order to be an Xer, in my opinion, you have to recall stuff and experience some stuff from 1980-1989 even if it's a little bit.  It's a biological fact.  Most adults are more likely going to remember their childhood beginning at 3 years old.  When I was like 2.5 or 3, I used to watch a lot of TV and listen to a lot of music, and I didn't hear Reagan get shot, but I remember when Reagan became president.  I was watching Looney Tunes and Popeye, and my mother and I used to move around to different neighborhoods a lot from 1980-1982.  I believe that Generation Xers is from 1964-1977.  It's a biological fact.  I know because I notice that people who are the class of 1995, like you said, those who were born in late 1976 to 1977 tend to embrace the 80s, early 90s, and older school pop culture more than someone that was born in 1978 and after.  Sure there are some 1978ers and over that like the 80s like whistledog and coquet83, but on average, and I see this, most 1978ers and over DESPISE the 80s more than those who were 1 or 2 years older than them.  I notice that there is a gap between a 1976/1977er and 1978/1979er.  I know because when I was talking about the 1980s pop culture and the music to them, they look a me like I was crazy and tell me "That's old.  Get in with the times".  That's when I notice the gap, and that's why I said that the people who were born in 1977 is the last true Gen-Xer, and I don't care what the researchers say.  I go by facts.

Yeah it seems we have a lot to remember about the 80s, it's a fun thread to discuss! Of course I remember the 80s had lots of those 50s, 60s, and 70s shows regularly shown by the local stations. I watched many episodes of I Love Lucy, Perry Mason, Andy Griffith, The Brady Bunch, The Honeymooners, and many others. My fav 70s-80s shows are CHiPs, Knight Rider, Dukes of Hazzard, The A Team, Little House on the Prairie, Silver Spoons, Diff'rent Strokes, and others. Cartoons include Scooby Doo (my fav!), Thundercats, He-man, Transformers, Casper, Flintstones, Jetsons, Tom & Jerry, Popeye, and other cool classics. What happened to newer cartoons man? Every time I look on the cartoon network these days, I see lots of newer cartoons which seem awfully cheesy (no offense to anyone who likes them, it's just me) but at least sometimes the classic cartoons are on and brings back memories. Also I'm glad Scooby Doo is still popular and made to this day! Speaking of generations I have looked up on Google and it seems this is in hot dispute, I have seen the ending dates anywhere from '75 to '80, there are large individual groups that choose any of the aforementioned years. Funny thing, I have read an article about Generation Y (mentioning their lifestyles here in California and their focus on their careers) in the local paper this morning and it says the current young working crowd is 21 to 29, which excludes '77s and earlier. I am certainly not a Gen Y in work ethics myself, I am still pretty much at the bottom since I graduated from HS (and I am a good worker) and hope to eventually move up as I learn more skills someday.

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/09/08 at 7:41 am

I LOVE THE 80'S.  NUFF SAID.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/09/08 at 10:58 am

I LOVE THE 80'S.  NUFF SAID.

An Error Has Occurred!
Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action without waiting 24 hours. 

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/09/08 at 2:57 pm

I'm sorry. :\'(  I didn't mean it.  Forgive me.  I was just stating what I and other people in here experienced ourselves and what's the average.  Not everyone is the same, but I'm talking about the people on average.  Let's be friends again.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/09/08 at 3:26 pm

I think interracial relationships increased quite a bit among young people in the 80s and 90s, although it remained taboo in pop media.  The X crowd is described as being the most racially tolerant and open minded...

Would you agree with that..?

Edited to add:  I just wanted to add that the student body in my schools, both grammar and high, were almost exclusively White although there were a number of Latino students.  That is until the 80s.  We had a HUGE influx of Black and Asian students beginning right out of the gate, in 1980-81, due to increased immigration.  Greater racial and cultural diversity in the schools led to greater acceptance and integration and ,for my part, allowed me to make friends with people of many races.  Before that, for instance, the only time I saw Black people or Asian people was (1) When we left town, (2) on TV, (3) in the movies.  And, again, from my experience, you didn't talk about race before that.  You just didn't...

I agree with that we as Xers are so blessed that we are more racially tolerant than the generations before that.  Generation X is the first generation that don't have the Jim Crow law, you know, the segregation law.  We're the first generation that embraced different cultures. We're the first generation to embrace interracial relationships. 

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/09/08 at 3:36 pm

Not sure if anyone read my previous post, but I've loved Eighties music since I was 3-4, video games since 6, and movies since I was 10 (even if it was a little secondhand by then). I also always loved the basic atmosphere along with personal memories, since that's what I first grew up into.

When I was talking about that '78ish line, it's just sort of a "more often than not" thing based on people I know or stuff I've observed...but yeah one year doesn't make some huge difference, lol. It just depends on the person. Hey some people who didn't even live in the 80s love it, and I'm a 1981er who does too, so it's all good. ;)

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/09/08 at 3:53 pm

Not sure if anyone read my previous post, but I've loved Eighties music since I was 3-4, video games since 6, and movies since I was 10 (even if it was a little secondhand by then). I also always loved the basic atmosphere along with personal memories, since that's what I first grew up into.

When I was talking about that '78ish line, it's just sort of a "more often than not" thing based on people I know or stuff I've observed...but yeah one year doesn't make some huge difference, lol. It just depends on the person. Hey some people who didn't even live in the 80s love it, and I'm a 1981er who does too, so it's all good. ;)

Thank you.  That's all I was saying.  I've experienced it myself.  One year doesn't make a HUGE difference, but it sure does make a difference as far as what I've experience myself.  I heard more people that were born in 1978 (on average) and beyond dissing me and people older about the 80s and early 90s culture about how old and cheesy it looks and sounds.  I'm not saying ALL OF THEM, but MOST OF THEM of what I encountered in my life.  I'm so glad that you use an example that I was using as far as adults remembering their childhood.  Most adults remember their childhood beginning at age 3 and over.  That is SO true because I know I did.  I remember when at age 3-5 (1980- mid 1982), it was still pretty much 70s flavored, you know, the leftovers from the previous decade, and I would listen to a lot of disco songs that either came out in 1979 or it came out in 1980 to mid 1982.  By late 1982, it started to sound like the 80s with the synthesizers, the electric guitars, the keytars, and everything.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/09/08 at 4:00 pm

^ For sure. I remember things starting around 3 and a half...even if it's in a scattershot way. I know the timeframe for sure, because we moved to another house just after my 4th birthday, and I have small memories of that first house we lived in. Nothing much more than teeny stuff - walking around on this cold tile floor in the entryway or drawing on the walls before my mom stopped me lol, stuff like that. I remember some things from preschool or riding around in the car with my folks too.

I also heard some of my first songs around this time in 1985 (i.e. The Police, Lionel Richie, Huey, Madonna, Foreigner, The Cars)...and there were also lots of early '80s songs I associate with Elementary school in like 1987-89 because they were on mixtapes of ours, or I first heard them on the radio then.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/09/08 at 4:12 pm

^ For sure. I remember things starting around 3 and a half...even if it's in a scattershot way. I know the timeframe for sure, because we moved to another house just after my 4th birthday, and I have small memories of that first house we lived in. Nothing much more than teeny stuff - walking around on this cold tile floor in the entryway or drawing on the walls before my mom stopped me lol, stuff like that. I remember some things from preschool or riding around in the car with my folks too.

I also heard some of my first songs around this time in 1985 (i.e. The Police, Lionel Richie, Huey, Madonna, Foreigner, The Cars)...and there were also lots of early '80s songs I associate with Elementary school in like 1987-89 because they were on mixtapes of ours, or I first heard them on the radio then.

In 1980 to mid 82, I remember listening to Earth, Wind, and Fire, Donna Summer, Olivia Newton-John, Patti Labelle, Stephanie Mills, The Isley Brothers, Teena Marie, Rick James, Kool and the Gang, Deniece Williams, Diana Ross, Michael Jackson (during the Off the Wall stage), The Dazz Band, Jeffrey Osbourne, Teddy Pendergrass, Chaka Khan, Cheryl Lynn, Luther Vandross.  I remember watching Looney Tunes, Popeye and Mork and Mindy

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/11/08 at 12:16 am

Yeah, I don't think there's a huge difference between the two years. From my experience, most late '70s borns seemed to prefer the culture of the '90s over that of the '80s (and just to be clear, I'm talking about the "core" part of the '90s, about 1991-1996, not the later part). I know a few '77ers that were more into '80s stuff as a pre-teen in the late '80s, but after they got on into high school in the early '90s, they sort of moved on to the newer stuff like grunge/etc.

It doesn't mean it was that way for everyone, that's just from my own personal experiences.

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/11/08 at 7:13 am

I think the reason I prefer it is because my childhood years (80's) were much happier than my teenage years (90's) when I was overweight, awkward, self-conscious, and dealing with the reality of being gay.  It wasn't the best time for me.  But of course my childhood years were carefree and fun, and that's what I miss the most.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/11/08 at 2:40 pm

I think the reason I prefer it is because my childhood years (80's) were much happier than my teenage years (90's) when I was overweight, awkward, self-conscious, and dealing with the reality of being gay.  It wasn't the best time for me.  But of course my childhood years were carefree and fun, and that's what I miss the most.

Honey, believe me.  I know exactly how you feel.  I was never liked in high school either, especially by people of my own race.  I had rumors spread about me about doing it to a cucumber.  I was called ugly by my own people the most because I was dark-skinned.  Even though non-blacks made fun of me, too, it's not as much as people of my own race.  As a matter of fact, I got along with non-blacks better than people of my own race in high school.    I know where you are coming from.  I like the 80s better than the 90s as far as kids in school is concerned, BUT nevertheless, when I say I love the 80s and the first half of the 90s, I was talking about the pop culture.  I'm talking about the clothes, the music, the movies, and the TV shows.

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/11/08 at 2:59 pm

Honey, believe me.  I know exactly how you feel.  I was never liked in high school either, especially by people of my own race.   I had rumors spread about me about doing it to a cucumber.  I was called ugly by my own people the most because I was dark-skinned.  Even though non-blacks made fun of me, too, it's not as much as people of my own race.  As a matter of fact, I got along with non-blacks better than people of my own race in high school.    I know where you are coming from.  I like the 80s better than the 90s as far as kids in school is concerned, BUT nevertheless, when I say I love the 80s and the first half of the 90s, I was talking about the pop culture.  I'm talking about the clothes, the music, the movies, and the TV shows.

I'm sorry that you went through all that.  I hope adulthood has been much better to you :)

And back to your original point about loving the pop culture of the 80's and early 90's, I'm right there with you.  Everything about it is better, to me, than what followed it.  I could do without most of today's music, movies, and TV.  It's either all reality, remakes, or just plain stupidity.  There is no creativity anymore.  No good sitcoms.  I haven't seen a movie that I adored in ages.  There is just something lacking now. 

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/11/08 at 3:05 pm

Yeah, I don't think there's a huge difference between the two years. From my experience, most late '70s borns seemed to prefer the culture of the '90s over that of the '80s (and just to be clear, I'm talking about the "core" part of the '90s, about 1991-1996, not the later part). I know a few '77ers that were more into '80s stuff as a pre-teen in the late '80s, but after they got on into high school in the early '90s, they sort of moved on to the newer stuff like grunge/etc.

It doesn't mean it was that way for everyone, that's just from my own personal experiences.

Yes it does make a difference.  It may not be a huge difference, but it does make a difference between 1976/1977 and 1978/1979.  Dodgeboy, Tanya1976, Marty McFly, and I said the same thing, so I can't be lying.  We see it for ourselves.  Most people who were born between 1975 and 1977 like the 80s pop culture AND the early 90s (1990-1995) pop culture.  1990 still had some 80s influence and anyone who was born in 1977 started to be a teenager in 1990, and the 80s influence still dominated 1990, so you can't really include 1977 with it.  I think that those who were born in 1975-1977 are more flexible as far as embracing 80s and first half of the 90s pop culture, and the first half of the 90s (1990-1995) was VERY Generation X influence and the latter half of the 90s (1996-1999) was VERY Generation Y, so you can't possibly include 1977 because Most 1976ers and 1977ers that I know embrace the 80s and the first half of the 90s pop culture.  I know I did.  And the reason why they proably gave up some of the 80s pop culture is because of peer pressure and the high school cliques.  I know personally for me, I was into the New Jack Swing at the time from the late 80s and the early 90s, and when I was in high school, new jack swing was STILL popular until early 1994.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/11/08 at 3:08 pm

I'm sorry that you went through all that.  I hope adulthood has been much better to you :)

And back to your original point about loving the pop culture of the 80's and early 90's, I'm right there with you.  Everything about it is better, to me, than what followed it.  I could do without most of today's music, movies, and TV.  It's either all reality, remakes, or just plain stupidity.  There is no creativity anymore.  No good sitcoms.  I haven't seen a movie that I adored in ages.  There is just something lacking now. 

That's ok.  I had a better adulthood, but I don't like what's out here today.  I can't relate to it.  I had more non-black friends than black friends when I was in high school.  I said that most 1978ers on average moved away from 80s pop culture than those who were born in 1977.  I said by average, not ALL of them.

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/11/08 at 3:18 pm

That's ok.  I had a better adulthood, but I don't like what's out here today.  I can't relate to it.  I had more non-black friends than black friends when I was in high school.  I said that most 1978ers on average moved away from 80s pop culture than those who were born in 1977.  I said by average, not ALL of them.

I've never been average :)

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/11/08 at 3:20 pm

I've never been average :)

That's what I was saying.  I wasn't saying ALL of the 1978ers.  I said on average because most 1978ers and 1979ers that I've come across made fun of the fact that I embraced the 80s culture as well as the first half of the 90s culture.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/11/08 at 8:42 pm

Yes it does make a difference.  It may not be a huge difference, but it does make a difference between 1976/1977 and 1978/1979.  Dodgeboy, Tanya1976, Marty McFly, and I said the same thing, so I can't be lying.  We see it for ourselves.  Most people who were born between 1975 and 1977 like the 80s pop culture AND the early 90s (1990-1995) pop culture.  1990 still had some 80s influence and anyone who was born in 1977 started to be a teenager in 1990, and the 80s influence still dominated 1990, so you can't really include 1977 with it.  I think that those who were born in 1975-1977 are more flexible as far as embracing 80s and first half of the 90s pop culture, and the first half of the 90s (1990-1995) was VERY Generation X influence and the latter half of the 90s (1996-1999) was VERY Generation Y, so you can't possibly include 1977 because Most 1976ers and 1977ers that I know embrace the 80s and the first half of the 90s pop culture.  I know I did.  And the reason why they proably gave up some of the 80s pop culture is because of peer pressure and the high school cliques.  I know personally for me, I was into the New Jack Swing at the time from the late 80s and the early 90s, and when I was in high school, new jack swing was STILL popular until early 1994.

Oh, I'm not saying that '77ers are part of Generation Y or anything. In fact, I don't think anybody born in the '70s is part of Gen Y. :)

Like I said in my post, it seems like many people born around 1977 did like '80s pop culture and just adapted to early '90s later on, but don't forget that there were alot of people around that age group that were part of the grunge movement in the early '90s that backlashed '80s culture. Most grunge fans seem to be born, in an extended sense, between 1974 and 1981.

I do agree with your point about 1990 though. The pop culture of the '80s was still very present at that time, and it really didn't go away entirely until 1993 or so. In alot of ways, late '80s and early '90s music blends together anyway, so I could see someone your age sticking with what they liked by the time the mid '90s came around.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/11/08 at 9:19 pm

Oh, I'm not saying that '77ers are part of Generation Y or anything. In fact, I don't think anybody born in the '70s is part of Gen Y. :)

Like I said in my post, it seems like many people born around 1977 did like '80s pop culture and just adapted to early '90s later on, but don't forget that there were alot of people around that age group that were part of the grunge movement in the early '90s that backlashed '80s culture. Most grunge fans seem to be born, in an extended sense, between 1974 and 1981.

I do agree with your point about 1990 though. The pop culture of the '80s was still very present at that time, and it really didn't go away entirely until 1993 or so. In alot of ways, late '80s and early '90s music blends together anyway, so I could see someone your age sticking with what they liked by the time the mid '90s came around.

Oh, I get what you're sayin now.  It is because of the cliques in high school, you know, if you don't listen to what THEY listen to or wear what THEY wear, then you won't be a part of the clique.  Like me, for instance, it was around my freshman year in high school in 1991, and I was wearing stockings with socks over them, and that style was VERY 80s, and very few people my age say, "Why are you wearing that 1986 style?", but it was the majority of those who were born in 1978 and beyond that picked on me HARD about it.  And you're right, those who were born in 1975-1977 are more likely going to go back to what they like from the 80s and early 90s (1990- early 1994) pop culture when the mid 90s hit because that's around the time when they leave high school.  A 1976er graduated in 1994 and a 1977er graduated in 1995, so that explains why we will go back to what we like from the 80s and early 90s.  That's the reason why I endured New Jack Swing so much because I was in middle school (1988-1990) and high school (1991-1995) when it was real popular.  1985-1995 was the best time in music, period.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/11/08 at 9:40 pm

YOU? Overweight and awkward? Wow, I would never have suspected that...you are so hot now! ;) I know how you feel though...I hated high school too..I was never popular, and I was a big dork! Well now, I'm STILL a dork/geek...but I've learned to embrace it! :)

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/11/08 at 10:39 pm

YOU? Overweight and awkward? Wow, I would never have suspected that...you are so hot now! ;) I know how you feel though...I hated high school too..I was never popular, and I was a big dork! Well now, I'm STILL a dork/geek...but I've learned to embrace it! :)

I guess we are both outcasts then in high school.  Nevertheless, I STILL embrace the early 90s pop culture.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/12/08 at 12:30 am

I guess we are both outcasts then in high school.  Nevertheless, I STILL embrace the early 90s pop culture.

Oh..me too. Even though I wasn't popular and stuff...I still look back to those years and remember some really great times.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/12/08 at 2:16 am

Oh..me too. Even though I wasn't popular and stuff...I still look back to those years and remember some really great times.

Yeah, high school sucks, but I like the music, the clothes, the TV shows, the movies of the first half of the 90s (1990-1995).  When I was in high school, I got along better with white students than students of my own race, and that's the truth.   I couldn't fit in with other black students.  This really hurts me because I'm black, and I'm not welcome by my black peers. :\'(

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/12/08 at 3:22 am

Yeah, high school sucks, but I like the music, the clothes, the TV shows, the movies of the first half of the 90s (1990-1995).  When I was in high school, I got along better with white students than students of my own race, and that's the truth.   I couldn't fit in with other black students.  This really hurts me because I'm black, and I'm not welcome by my black peers. :\'(

Yes, you are.  ;)

Written By: dodgeboy on 04/12/08 at 3:37 am

As I'm a '77er as I said earlier obviously, I wasn't a huge fan of grunge even though I was in HS during that time. I suppose everyone has their own styles, not everyone in my school had the grunge look, just some did. Most wore jeans and T shirts (sometimes baggy pants) in the early 90s.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/12/08 at 3:50 am

Yes, you are.  ;)

Thank you! :)

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/12/08 at 3:52 am

As I'm a '77er as I said earlier obviously, I wasn't a huge fan of grunge even though I was in HS during that time. I suppose everyone has their own styles, not everyone in my school had the grunge look, just some did. Most wore jeans and T shirts (sometimes baggy pants) in the early 90s.

I know.  I hated grunge.  I was more into New Jack Swing that was still popular in 1991-early 1994.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/12/08 at 8:34 pm

Yeah, I was never that popular in school either, despite getting along with just about anyone, so I know how you feel there. I always had acquaintency friends, but felt shut out or ignored compared to how they would interact with each other...like I wasn't cool enough. High school and even middle school can be a really rough environment where you have to fit in, and when you compound that on top of it being a difficult age anyway, that's doubly awkward.

I also can somewhat relate to what you're saying about feeling more comfortable with white students than with other blacks. With me it's a little different comparison in gender instead of race, but the same basic idea. I'm a guy and always related better with girls than with other guys alot of the time. They just seemed nicer/less threatening and fun, and I always enjoyed hanging out with them. Even if I was attracted to them, I just liked conversating or going on simple dates or stuff that would be considered primarily in a friendship sense. Other straight guys don't get that about me either sometimes, lol.

Yeah, I think the key is whenever your tastes become established, that's when you'll find it harder to move on or adapt to new styles as easily. It probably just depends on the person and can happen at any age. Heck I had my music tastes set by the time I was 12, let alone in high school lol, which explains my love for '80s and early '90s songs beyond anything else. I tended to like television shows and movies for longer though, because I was just really getting into it in late Elementary and Middle school.

However, I think what you like in your teenage years is a real test of what will stick with you. I read an article once that said what people like between 16 and 20 is what they tend to like for life, and I agree. So it's like a 1978er could've definitely liked late '80s music at age 10, but also could've later ditched it out of embarrassment in high school as they embraced grunge and gangsta rap. Because that catered to their real tastes more.

I'm sure the same thing is true with people my age, it's just that I was one of the more old-school ones who was imprinted by songs I heard in my first 11 or maybe 13 years, as well as the basic atmosphere. I do love the mid and late '90s too, but just not in quite the same way.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/12/08 at 8:44 pm

Yeah, I was never that popular in school either, despite getting along with just about anyone, so I know how you feel there. I always had acquaintency friends, but felt shut out or ignored compared to how they would interact with each other...like I wasn't cool enough. High school and even middle school can be a really rough environment where you have to fit in, and when you compound that on top of it being a difficult age anyway, that's doubly awkward.

I also can somewhat relate to what you're saying about feeling more comfortable with white students than with other blacks. With me it's a little different comparison in gender instead of race, but the same basic idea. I'm a guy and always related better with girls than with other guys alot of the time. They just seemed nicer/less threatening and fun, and I always enjoyed hanging out with them. Even if I was attracted to them, I just liked conversating or going on simple dates or stuff that would be considered primarily in a friendship sense. Other straight guys don't get that about me either sometimes, lol.

Yeah, I think the key is whenever your tastes become established, that's when you'll find it harder to move on or adapt to new styles as easily. It probably just depends on the person and can happen at any age. Heck I had my music tastes set by the time I was 12, let alone in high school lol, which explains my love for '80s and early '90s songs beyond anything else. I tended to like television shows and movies for longer though, because I was just really getting into it in late Elementary and Middle school.

However, I think what you like in your teenage years is a real test of what will stick with you. I read an article once that said what people like between 16 and 20 is what they tend to like for life, and I agree. So it's like a 1978er could've definitely liked late '80s music at age 10, but also could've later ditched it out of embarrassment in high school as they embraced grunge and gangsta rap. Because that catered to their real tastes more.

I'm sure the same thing is true with people my age, it's just that I was one of the more old-school ones who was imprinted by songs I heard in my first 11 or maybe 13 years, as well as the basic atmosphere. I do love the mid and late '90s too, but just not in quite the same way.
  Do you mean what people like as far as music that came out when they were 16 to 20?  I'm not understanding. 

I told you that those who were born in 1976/1977 tend to embrace the mid to late 80s pop culture a little longer than someone who was born in 1978 and beyond.  I'm a witness and so is Tanya1976 and dodgeboy.  I hated grunge and gangsta rap.  I was into RnB.  I mean, don't get me wrong.  I like SOME gangsta rap, but I liked RnB more.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/12/08 at 8:59 pm

^Oh yeah, my bad - the article was talking about music. Even though like I said, what I like came from my childhood and very early teens, I think there's some truth in that. Because I stuck with it in my high school years and didn't rebel against it, that means it was really a defining part of my tastes (songs from 1981/82 to about 1994).

I liked some current songs too, just the milder ones. I also hated most gangsta rap and grunge is lukewarm. Actually I like some of the milder alternative rock and grunge songs, but it was never my favorite. I mean stuff like "Under the Bridge" by Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/12/08 at 9:46 pm

^Oh yeah, my bad - the article was talking about music. Even though like I said, what I like came from my childhood and very early teens, I think there's some truth in that. Because I stuck with it in my high school years and didn't rebel against it, that means it was really a defining part of my tastes (songs from 1981/82 to about 1994).

I liked some current songs too, just the milder ones. I also hated most gangsta rap and grunge is lukewarm. Actually I like some of the milder alternative rock and grunge songs, but it was never my favorite. I mean stuff like "Under the Bridge" by Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Exactly.  When I graduated from high school in 1995, I notice that I started to embrace the music that came out when I was a preteen (9-12)  and a young teen (13-16)  During those times, New Jack Swing was all over the place, and it ended in early 1994.  I also started yearning for music that came out when I was a child like Michael Jackson's Thriller, Teena Marie, and all those artists.  I also started embracing the 70s music that my mom used to play during the 80s.  And guess what?  I started doing that from age 18 to 21.  So I know exactly what you're talking about.

Written By: johnny5alive on 04/12/08 at 10:40 pm

Exactly.  When I graduated from high school in 1995, I notice that I started to embrace the music that came out when I was a preteen (9-12)  and a young teen (13-16)  During those times, New Jack Swing was all over the place, and it ended in early 1994.  I also started yearning for music that came out when I was a child like Michael Jackson's Thriller, Teena Marie, and all those artists.  I also started embracing the 70s music that my mom used to play during the 80s.  And guess what?  I started doing that from age 18 to 21.  So I know exactly waht you're talking about.
........................  nicole i find the same thing happining with me, mostly after my mom passed a few years ago, i now found a local radio station that she would have loved, lots of 40's 50's and 60's stuff, when i hear some songs it kinda well,  makes me want to go back, if ya know what i mean!

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/12/08 at 10:51 pm

........................   nicole i find the same thing happining with me, mostly after my mom passed a few years ago, i now found a local radio station that she would have loved, lots of 40's 50's and 60's stuff, when i hear some songs it kinda well,  makes me want to go back, if ya know what i mean!

i know what you mean.  I also love the 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s, music as well.  Thanks to Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, and Popeye!!! :D  To tell you the truth, what sticks with me the most is the 70s, 80s, and early to mid 90s music (1990-1995)  because that's my youth.  That's my childhood, preteen and teenaged life.

Written By: Davester on 04/13/08 at 1:27 am

I don't think the backlash was against 80s culture, per se, but against "the mainstream" of culture and the stranglehold of corporate cheese merchants.  I remember, especially in the 90s, the idea of indie record labels was cherished by the age group you refer to.  *POOF!* Indie, alternative (whaterver you want to call it) vanished when it became mainstream.  That's what Kurt was talkin'bout and that's What Eddie Vedder was talkin'bout and that's what Lauren Hill was talkin'bout and that's what Quentin Tarantino was talkin'bout...

When alternative becomes mainstream, it ain't alternative anymore.  That's why I sound like a broken record when I say that, in the new decade, the mere mention of 80s pop-culture got you a big, old, fat eye-roll from alot of people  ::) >:( 8-P ::) >:( 8-P

Thank goodness for SubPop, Collective Soul, Counting Crows, the Fugees, Dr. Dre & etc or the 90s would've sucked for sure, musicwise that is... ;)

I was secretly still listening to Motley Crue in 1991, but don't tell anybody.  I gave it up for earlier new wave/romantic, punk, industrial.  Also, Van Halen began it's road trip to Suckville.  Actually, maybe earlier.  Everything after 5150...

Written By: tv on 04/13/08 at 1:46 pm

Yeah the 80's were good for being a kid. I remember getting home from school and watching Sanford & Sun, Different Strokes, and Whats Happenin. I remember shows like "Night Court" and "Who's The Boss". I remember "Family Ties(yeah go laugh but it was something the family could watch.) I liked the "Hogan Family" too. I loved 80's TV shows when I was a kid.

As for 1979ers hating the 80's I don;t hate the 80's just some of the fashions were over the top.

As for the 90's I remember the NBA being the big sport in the decade and the music was good too(STP, Gin Blossoms, Alice In Chains, Sheryl Crow, Nine Inch Nails, The Presidents of the United States of America, The Verve, The Verve Pipe, Stabbing Westward.) I remember stuff too "Please Don;t Go" by No Mercy and "Be My Lover" by LaBouche. I remember some of the R&B stuff that was around in 1998 like "Next" and "Monica". Montell Jordan and Brian McKnight were good than too. Rapper Busta Ryhmes was doing great music video's in 1998 too.

Written By: tv on 04/13/08 at 2:27 pm

I notice that's the reason why the early to mid 80s was so whitebread, the music, the movies, the clothes, the shows, etc. (forgive me if I offend anyone).   I think that the 80s was the best time to be a child and a preteen or young teen.  The 90s was nostalgic of the 70s.  Everything in the 90s was 70s influenced.  The clothes, the music, the fashion, the TV shows, and everything.  Maybe that's the reason why the 90s reminded me of the 70s.  Somebody said that the  mid 60s and 70s pop culture was VERY African-American influenced, you know, the funk, soul, disco, blaxpoitation era.  It's funny.  They said the same thing about the 90s!!!!!!!  They said that the 90s pop culture was VERY black, you know, the movies, the music, the clothes, the Afros, everything.  I wore bellbottoms in 1993 when I was in the 11th grade.  The late 90s reminded me of disco to me.  I mean look at the shiny flashy clothes that Puff Daddy and other artists wore in 1997?
You think the 90's is blacker or urban than the 00's? I don;t think so. I mean look at Hip-Hip culture it was all over the place in 2003, 2005  to early 2006 because of 50 Cent and DL4. I think 2007 rap was popular too with stuff like T-Pain and the song "This Is Why I;m Hot".

I think 90; music was not entirely urban or black because there was stuff like alternative rock and pop or rock like "The Gin Blossoms" or "Del Amitri" like Marty and I mentioned before. The 90's music scene was more split in half than the 00's is for example because on one side you have Alternative Rock and than on the other side who have something like Gangsta Rap. I do think R&B, Alternative, or Euro-Dance were dominant than Gangsta Rap was in the 90's though(at least the 1992-1996 portion of the decade.)  There was afro's in the 90's? I thought the high-top fade was more "in" in the early 90's at least for black men.

Thats true about 90's movies at least the early to mid 90's being urban movies dominate like "New Jack City" "The Bodyguard", "Boyz In the Hood" "Soul Food", "Set It Off", "Dangerous Minds".

I think your half wrong about the 70;s at least the first portion of it about it being black I mean there was classic rock back then. I do agree about the late 70's though about disco's domantion.

Your right about Puffy;s shiny clothes though being 70's it was very disco-ish.

I don;t think TV shows in the 90's were that directly 70's influenced I mean the 90's had it share of sitcoms just the way the 70's or the 80's did.

As for 90;s fashion being black ah there was your grunge kids around(I liked the Grunge music but not the fashion that went along with it though) but your right there were people with baggy pants then(I was one of them even though I am white.)

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/14/08 at 9:02 am

You think the 90's is blacker or urban than the 00's? I don;t think so. I mean look at Hip-Hip culture it was all over the place in 2003, 2005  to early 2006 because of 50 Cent and DL4. I think 2007 rap was popular too with stuff like T-Pain and the song "This Is Why I;m Hot".

I think 90; music was not entirely urban or black because there was stuff like alternative rock and pop or rock like "The Gin Blossoms" or "Del Amitri" like Marty and I mentioned before. The 90's music scene was more split in half than the 00's is for example because on one side you have Alternative Rock and than on the other side who have something like Gangsta Rap. I do think R&B, Alternative, or Euro-Dance were dominant than Gangsta Rap was in the 90's though(at least the 1992-1996 portion of the decade.)  There was afro's in the 90's? I thought the high-top fade was more "in" in the early 90's at least for black men.

Thats true about 90's movies at least the early to mid 90's being urban movies dominate like "New Jack City" "The Bodyguard", "Boyz In the Hood" "Soul Food", "Set It Off", "Dangerous Minds".

I think your half wrong about the 70;s at least the first portion of it about it being black I mean there was classic rock back then. I do agree about the late 70's though about disco's domantion.

Your right about Puffy;s shiny clothes though being 70's it was very disco-ish.

I don;t think TV shows in the 90's were that directly 70's influenced I mean the 90's had it share of sitcoms just the way the 70's or the 80's did.

As for 90;s fashion being black ah there was your grunge kids around(I liked the Grunge music but not the fashion that went along with it though) but your right there were people with baggy pants then(I was one of them even though I am white.)

What I meant was that the 70s was a little more urban than the 80s.  That's what I meant.  The 90s do remind me of the 70s as far as the diversity of the music.  Gangsta rap is to 90s as funk is to 70s.  The high top fade was the AFRO of the late 80s and the first half of the 90s.  They did wore Afros too in the 90s, especially Ice Cube.  You're right, the black TV sitcoms was not 70s influenced LITERALLY.  I was saying that because just like the 70s had a lot of black TV sitcoms, the 90s had a lot of TV sitcoms, especially 1990-1995.  I wore bellbottoms in 1993.  To me, grunge reminded me of punk music of the 70s.  I like the early to mid 90s because it was a mixture of different genres of music.  When I meant that 90s were more black, I meant that compare to the 80s, the 90s had a little more black artists in the mainstream than the 80s.  The 70s had a lot of blaxpoitation films just like the early to mid 90s have a lot of urban movies.  I wasn't trying to be racist.  In my opinion, the late 90s was VERY discoish, no doubt.  All those shiny videos and shiny clothes reminded me of disco in the late 70s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/14/08 at 8:39 pm

Oh, I get what you're sayin now.  It is because of the cliques in high school, you know, if you don't listen to what THEY listen to or wear what THEY wear, then you won't be a part of the clique.  Like me, for instance, it was around my freshman year in high school in 1991, and I was wearing stockings with socks over them, and that style was VERY 80s, and very few people my age say, "Why are you wearing that 1986 style?", but it was the majority of those who were born in 1978 and beyond that picked on me HARD about it.  And you're right, those who were born in 1975-1977 are more likely going to go back to what they like from the 80s and early 90s (1990- early 1994) pop culture when the mid 90s hit because that's around the time when they leave high school.  A 1976er graduated in 1994 and a 1977er graduated in 1995, so that explains why we will go back to what we like from the 80s and early 90s.  That's the reason why I endured New Jack Swing so much because I was in middle school (1988-1990) and high school (1991-1995) when it was real popular.  1985-1995 was the best time in music, period.

Both great points. I actually think there are alot of people (myself included) that actually have there musical tastes set when there in middle school. I was in middle school in the late '90s and I have always seemed to prefer music from around that time period more than anything that has come out after 2001. That's not to say I don't like anything new, my tastes are just more skewed to the '90s and early '00s.

I guess that's why 1977ers seem so split on this. They would have been in middle school in the late '80s, so there were probably some of them that didn't "let go" of what they liked at that time when new types of music started to emerge in the 1991-1993 time period.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/14/08 at 9:34 pm

Both great points. I actually think there are alot of people (myself included) that actually have there musical tastes set when there in middle school. I was in middle school in the late '90s and I have always seemed to prefer music from around that time period more than anything that has come out after 2001. That's not to say I don't like anything new, my tastes are just more skewed to the '90s and early '00s.

I guess that's why 1977ers seem so split on this. They would have been in middle school in the late '80s, so there were probably some of them that didn't "let go" of what they liked at that time when new types of music started to emerge in the 1991-1993 time period.

That's what I was saying.  I did a research on preteens and music, and according to studies, it seems like when a children hit their preteens (age 8-12), that's when they started developing their tastes for pop culture.  Now, I'm talking about the average preteen.  As for me, my taste for music was earlier than 8 years old.  It seems like the music that I listen to when I was a preteen and a teenager sticks to me when I became an adult.  I don't know what it is but all of a sudden, I started feeling nostalgic for music and pop culture from 1985 to 1995. 

Check for new replies or respond here...