inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: C. Thomas Howell and Rae Dawn Chong

Written By: midnite on 04/01/08 at 8:25 pm

I was watching American Idol this week and saw Michael Johns, a white singer, transformed into a soul singer overnight.  It reminded me of C. Thomas Howell in the movie Soul Man.  I liked C. Thomas Howell in the 80's movies. Perhaps I was the only one.

C. Thomas Howell and Rae Dawn Chong were in lots of 80's movies.  However, it seemed that they did not have the Supestar success that other 80's actors enjoyed.  I believe they were married and could have been a Hollywood power-couple.  I don't recall seeing them on magazines or hearing about paparazzi chasing them.

Were they ever really successful in the eyes of Hollywood and moviegoers?

Here are some of their movies:

C. Thomas Howell Movies
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
The Outsiders (1983)
Grandview, U.S.A. (1984)
Tank (1984)
Red Dawn (1984)
Secret Admirer (1985)
The Hitcher (1986)
Soul Man (1986)
The Return of the Musketeers (1989)
Far Out Man (1990)
Side Out (1990)

Rae Dawn Chong Movies
Cheech & Chong's The Corsican Brothers (1984)
Beat Street (1984)
Fear City (1984)
City Limits (1985)
American Flyers (1985)
Commando (1985)
The Color Purple (1985)
Soul Man (1986)
The Squeeze (1987)
The Principal (1987)

Subject: Re: C. Thomas Howell and Rae Dawn Chong

Written By: whistledog on 04/01/08 at 8:35 pm

Rae Dawn Chong, the daughter of Tommy Chong is Canadian.  I liked her in 'Commando' and 'The Principal'.  Two 80s movies that I love very much :)

As for C. Thomas Howell, I liked him in 'The Outsiders' and 'Tank' the best

Written By: snozberries on 04/02/08 at 9:44 am

C. Thomas Howell and I share a birthday.  :)

Given the success of other Outsiders I thought he would have a bit more success... I think he took one too many of those "vengeance" movies in the 90s...after Hitcher it just all went down hill.

I love Rae.  I wish she'd gotten bigger films.  Commando just do for her career what they probably thought it would (considering it was an Arnold flick.)

Written By: Entouch on 04/02/08 at 6:25 pm

I for one considered C.Thomas Howell and Rae Dawn Chong B-list actors. I admit I fell for 'Ponyboy' from the film the Outsiders it should have led to bigger films, after all it was Tom Cruise who had the smaller role in that film. I think 'Soul Man' is unbearable to watch now. (C' Mon now did that character really look black?) As for Rae Dawn Chong to give her credit she was the only woman of color who was getting work in the 80s.  Still it was only the part of someone's girlfriend.

When they got married I thought think it caused a major stir, as far as being a power couple they didnt generated enough interest for the masses to care.

Just for the record, Ralph Machhio looks alot younger than C. Thomas Howell now yet he's older than him. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/pcangry.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...