inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s=Emo?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/03/08 at 5:15 pm

Hi Everyone!

I was hanging around ebay earlier today, looking at some vintage 80s clothing and I noticed that the link to almost everything said "vintage 80s/emo/punk" Since when does all clothing from the entire 80s decade fall into being "emo". I swear, I've never seen an emo kid walking around dressed like Suzanne Sugarbaker from Designing Women! It's not just on leather and rock tees either, it's on silk peplum dresses and Members Only jackets...the list goes on and on.

I thought that the 80s were about people expressing themselves and standing apart from the crowd and now the whole period is being labeled and reissued as "Emo". What do you think of that?

(BTW, I have nothing against emo kids, one of my closest friends is one and lives in Marilyn Manson tees. )

Subject: Re: 80s=Emo?

Written By: Red Ant on 04/03/08 at 5:35 pm

I'm not sure how 80s clothing would be considered "emo" at all. Maybe emos buy a lot of clothes from eBay, so the people selling 80s clothes tagged them that way to increase sales?

Ant

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/03/08 at 5:56 pm

Good point Ant.

I have seen some so-called emos wearing clothing that seems really uncharacteristic for them. I almost flipped out when I saw the lead singer of a major rock band sportng a Michael Jackson shirt.

The day Michael is emo... >:(

But seriously, good point man. Karma.

Written By: whistledog on 04/03/08 at 6:16 pm

80s and emo do not belong in the same sentence lol

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/03/08 at 6:19 pm

Well, I'm not an expert on fashion or emo, but I can sort of see a connection. I do think emo is somewhat influenced by the '80s (it's like a whiny combination of new wave and pop/punk lol). For instance, the goth look was around then, and some of the new wave I think paved the way for what eventually became emo. Like the Cure and Tears For Fears.

Written By: karen on 04/03/08 at 6:37 pm

I can see that the goth/punk clothing might be consider 'emo' but any of the fashion stuff?  No way!

Written By: Bobby on 04/03/08 at 7:01 pm

Well, I'm not an expert on fashion or emo, but I can sort of see a connection. I do think emo is somewhat influenced by the '80s (it's like a whiny combination of new wave and pop/punk lol). For instance, the goth look was around then, and some of the new wave I think paved the way for what eventually became emo. Like the Cure and Tears For Fears.

Yep, some of my mates are emo and I tell them they aren't doing anything different to the new romantics of the early 80s (especially groups like Visage).

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/03/08 at 7:49 pm

80s and emo do not belong in the same sentence lol

That's exactly what I was thinking.  It's like oil and water.  It doesn't mix.  Anytime they want to add emo with the 80s is an insult to anybody who grew up in the 80s.

Written By: woops on 04/03/08 at 8:34 pm

Agree that emos are influenced by The Cure, The Smiths, and Siouxsie & The Banshees

Then again, emo is just a term music critics call current alternative music/goth. Not much difference, IMHO except that The Cure and '90's alt rock band Smashing Pumpkins are  far better than Blue October and My Chemical Romance.

Written By: Atari on 04/03/08 at 10:19 pm

Agree that emos are influenced by The Cure, The Smiths, and Siouxsie & The Banshees

Then again, emo is just a term music critics call current alternative music/goth. Not much difference, IMHO except that The Cure and '90's alt rock band Smashing Pumpkins are  far better than Blue October and My Chemical Romance.

And we didn't cut ourselves in the 80s for attention :)

Check for new replies or respond here...