inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Last Days of Disco

Written By: cinnabon on 04/04/08 at 7:44 pm

I took the name of this poll from a movie that came out in 1998 about the early 80s disco club scene.  I love all the songs I've listed here and to single out a couple I will vote for "Stomp" and "It's Raining Men"  8)

Subject: Re: Last Days of Disco

Written By: Atari on 04/04/08 at 7:51 pm

Funky Town and Take Your Time Do It Right, both cool rollerskating songs :)

Written By: whistledog on 04/04/08 at 9:39 pm

other:  'Never Knew Love Like This Before' by Stephanie Mills

Written By: gibbo on 04/05/08 at 1:09 am

I went for Funky Town.  I'm surprised MJ's Billie Jean isn't on that list.... :o

Also an honourable mention to the Bugles, Video Killed The Radio Star

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/05/08 at 11:35 am

Funkytown - Lipps Inc
It's Raining Men - The Weather Girls

I can't stand Celebration anymore.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/05/08 at 2:28 pm

I went for Funky Town.   I'm surprised MJ's Billie Jean isn't on that list.... :o

Also an honourable mention to the Bugles, Video Killed The Radio Star

I think "Billie Jean" is one of the songs that really jumpstarted the '80s sound. I always thought of it as an upbeat love song that was more of a cross between R&B and synthpop...but yeah, I guess it has a vague disco influence. He and Madonna did kinda bring back dance music after the disco backlash, so I can see the connection.

I'm not really into the songs on that list, except for "Celebration". That's a fun song and even though they were still in their funk/disco era, it was definitely heading towards a synthpop sound.

I think 1984 was the first year that totally dropped the '70s/disco influence from music.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/05/08 at 9:07 pm

I like, "It's Raining Men" out of the songs on the list. I LOVE disco music..there are too many to narrow it down to one or two favorites!

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/06/08 at 9:45 am

Stomp is my favorite on this list.

Written By: snozberries on 04/06/08 at 10:47 am

I'm going with Gloria Gaynor's I Will Survive....

If I had gone with Donna Summer... as much as I love On the Radio... I would have chosen MacArthur Park, Sunset People or Dim All the Lights.. I know Last Dance should be the obvious choice but I feel its kind of a cliche Disco Song.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/06/08 at 3:10 pm

The disco hits that I like are too numerous for me, but I'm going to narrow it down.

Ring My Bell
Boogie Wonderland
Don't Stop Till You Get Enough
Rock With You
Off The Wall
Upside Down
I'm Coming Out
Celebration
Ladies Night

Written By: cinnabon on 04/06/08 at 3:20 pm

Here's 2 I wish I would have added to the poll by Michael Jackson: 

Rock With You and the title track from Off the Wall

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/06/08 at 6:26 pm

These probably aren't true disco, but at least disco influenced '80s synthpop...but I also love "What a Feeling" by Irene Cara, "Gloria" by Laura Branigan, "Electric Avenue" by Eddy Grant "Young Turks" by Rod Stewart, and almost any Pointer Sisters song from that era.

Written By: whistledog on 04/06/08 at 10:50 pm

^ Electric Avenuue is a disco song?  You need to put that pipe away LOL

Written By: midnite on 04/06/08 at 10:54 pm

Some of us like to believe that all of the Disco nightclubs closed down on 12/31/1979 and disco did not survive into the 80's.  I used to believe that as a kid.

Other than the GREAT songs that you guys already mentioned, here are some disco songs from the early 80s that I enjoy:

Nightlife Unlimited - Love Is In You (1980) - I know I have mentioned it several times, but it is one of my favorites.   :P

George Benson - Give Me The Night (1980) - Jazz, I guess, but has disco undertones.

Change - A Lover's Holiday (1980) - Luther Vandross' group before he went solo. Some may refer to them as a rip off of Chic

Irene Cara - Fame (1980)

Japan - Life In Tokyo (1980) - One of a couple of disco-sounding songs from an amazing early synth group.

Kano - I'm Ready (1980) - Funk-Disco hybrid in which the bassline was sampled for Tag Team's Whoomp There It Is.

Written By: whistledog on 04/06/08 at 10:57 pm

Japan - Life In Tokyo (1980) - One of a couple of disco-sounding songs from an amazing early synth group.

That one was actually 1979.  Oddly enough, it never became a big hit in the UK until 1982
Oddly enough also, it was Japan's only hit single here in Canada in 1979 where it fell way outside of the Top 40

Written By: cinnabon on 04/07/08 at 4:44 am

The Second Time Around - Shalimar

Written By: Midas on 04/07/08 at 12:05 pm

Good choices everyone!  :)

I chose other - "I'm So Hot For You" by Bobby "O" and "Born To Be Alive" by Patrick Hernandez.

Written By: midnite on 04/07/08 at 10:12 pm

Good choices everyone!  :)

I chose other - "I'm So Hot For You" by Bobby "O" and "Born To Be Alive" by Patrick Hernandez.

Bobby O, good stuff

Written By: snozberries on 04/07/08 at 10:15 pm

How come no one mentioned Alcia Bridges "I Love the Nightlife"?

or that Turn the Beat Around that Gloria Estefan covered?

Written By: whistledog on 04/07/08 at 10:16 pm

How come no one mentioned Alcia Bridges "I Love the Nightlife"?

That one was in the 70s when Disco was high on popularity

or that Turn the Beat Around that Gloria Estefan covered?

That one was in the 90s LOL

Written By: snozberries on 04/07/08 at 10:29 pm

That one was in the 70s when Disco was high on popularity

That one was in the 90s LOL

well Gloria Estefan covered it in the 90s but it was recorded prior to that by someone in the 70s

Written By: whistledog on 04/07/08 at 10:36 pm

well Gloria Estefan covered it in the 90s but it was recorded prior to that by someone in the 70s

that would be Vicki Sue Robinson.  1978 I believe :)

Written By: KKay on 04/07/08 at 10:45 pm

really?  it's No More Tears by Streisand and Summer

Written By: cinnabon on 04/08/08 at 5:03 am

"Born To Be Alive" by Patrick Hernandez.

Madonna was one of the backup singers on this recording.  :)

Written By: gibbo on 04/08/08 at 5:55 am

Ohh...a pathetic...desperate attempt to be half right.... :-\\

Written By: coqueta83 on 04/08/08 at 8:34 pm

From that list, I love "And the Beat Goes On" and "On the Radio".  :)

Written By: Entouch on 04/09/08 at 10:53 pm

To me Disco music ended around 1981. It was renamed Dance music and by 1982 it morphed into synth/techno sound.
I will always associated disco music in the early 80s with roller skates. Some tunes come to mind

Take Your Time- SOS Band

Funky Sensation- Gwen McCrae

Must Be the Music- Secret Weapon

Funkytown- Lipps Inc

Call Me- Skyy

Let's Groove Tonight- Earth Wind and Fire

Written By: cinnabon on 04/10/08 at 5:40 am

A couple more that came to mind:

Ladies Night - Kool and the Gang (which was late 79 - early 1980)
Double Dutch Bus - Frankie Smith (this sounds like more of a novelty song to me, but it does have kind of a disco beat)

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/14/08 at 10:57 pm

Double Dutch Bus - Frankie Smith (this sounds like more of a novelty song to me, but it does have kind of a disco beat)

That reminds me -- anyone know what he's sizzaying in the lizzyrics? 

We've been trying to figure it out in the Frankie Smith / Double Dutch Bus Lyrics thread for the past three years, and every year or so, someone helps fill in a gap. Are you next?

Written By: Davester on 04/15/08 at 3:53 am

A couple more that came to mind:

Cool, I just downloaded DDB a few weeks ago.  This girl I knew in jr. high used to play this all the time...

And I also have no idea what Smith is saying, but I never really payed attention...

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/15/08 at 9:25 pm

Cool, I just downloaded DDB a few weeks ago.  This girl I knew in jr. high used to play this all the time...

And I also have no idea what Smith is saying, but I never really payed attention...

Hmm, you might do better than we did.  (For your first couple of times through the song, try doing it without the hints we've figured out in the thread... that way, if we're wrong on some of the lines, at last we won't be steering you in the wrong direction!)

Also try Frankie Smith's Slang Thang (aka "Slizzang Thizzang"), in which he explains the "rules".  Problem is, he doesn't quite follow them all in Double Dutch Bus... or there are rules we don't know about.

Written By: cinnabon on 04/16/08 at 5:47 pm

Remember when KC of KC and the Sunshine Band had that solo hit with "Give it Up" in 1984?  To me that song has elements of the classic KC and the Sunshine Band sound and of course they were one of the hottest disco acts of the 70s.

Written By: michele on 04/17/08 at 10:09 pm

Funkytown was cool. But i took dance and our warm up song was It`s raining men! Brings back many many memories!!!!

Written By: cinnabon on 05/07/08 at 7:47 pm

I bumped up this thread because I just heard another good song on the 80s XM radio channel that would fit here:

Let's Get Serious - Jermaine Jackson (featuring a guest vocal by Stevie Wonder)

Written By: Bobby on 05/09/08 at 4:50 pm

I picked 'Celebration' by Kool and the Gang.

Some of us like to believe that all of the Disco nightclubs closed down on 12/31/1979 and disco did not survive into the 80's.  I used to believe that as a kid.

The thing with disco is it hasn't died out, it just evolved. Without disco, PWL wouldn't have had a pop music empire from 1985 - 1990 (they actually called their special brand of music 'gay disco'). If you listen to a lot of modern dance and pop music, if it isn't using straight samples of disco classics it's often influenced by the genre.

Written By: Lurker on 05/11/08 at 10:40 pm

Of the poll options, my vote is for "Stomp" by the Brothers Johnson. I also like "Super Freak" by Rick James (1981).

One of my favourite late disco-era songs is "He's the greatest dancer/we are family" by Sister Sledge. However, according to Wikipedia (No. 1 dance hits, by year) it actually came out in 1979 ... as did some of the other responses in this thread, such as "Born to Be Alive" and "No More Tears (Enough is Enough)".

Written By: Stinkyy on 05/14/08 at 6:57 pm

I just picked up the movie "Last Days of Disco" on VHS.  The DVD is about $125; the VHS cassette was $5.  Anyway, can't wait to watch it!  Barcelona, by Whit Stillman, (same director as LDoD) is my favorite movie!

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/24/08 at 2:06 pm

Classic dance track on the radio just now..
(Curtis) MANTRONIX - Got to have your Love

totally brilliant

Check for new replies or respond here...