inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1982 - the novelty year of the Eighties.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/05/08 at 2:51 pm

I'm not trying to run too much into "decadeology" territory lol, but...from footage I've seen, along with movies, songs and just the overall atmosphere of that time, this always struck me as being the most exciting year in relation to the '80s. Just because alot of things emerged which would define the decade. It seems like MTV was getting pretty popular for the first time, same with arcades, shopping at the mall, valley girls, and just the '70s influence noticeably slipping off the charts with more new wave and synthpop sounds coming in.

What really makes it cool is that it was still in a "novelty" stage. Not only was everything brand new, but it predated Thriller, Madonna and Prince, so it wasn't quite totally established and nobody quite knew where it was going to go next.

Subject: Re: 1982 - the novelty year of the Eighties.

Written By: Bree on 04/05/08 at 5:16 pm

Prince was around in 1982 and "Thriller" was released later that year. Plus, it was MJ's second album which he first released "Off The Wall" a few years earlier.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/05/08 at 6:07 pm

Prince was around in 1982 and "Thriller" was released later that year. Plus, it was MJ's second album which he first released "Off The Wall" a few years earlier.

Oh yeah, I sometimes almost forget that Prince was around before then. Was he very popular before that 1999 album came out? It seems like "Little Red Corvette" and "When Doves Cry" are what made him successful and he was kinda underground before that.

True, MJ was always successful, even dating back to the Jackson Five. I think so many people associate Thriller with him (that was early 1983 I think) because of how it revolutionized so much in terms of pop culture and made MTV totally a household name.

Written By: Davester on 04/05/08 at 6:39 pm

I remember next to nothing about 1982 except that NBC started to suck a little less after Family Ties debuted...

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/05/08 at 7:07 pm

Yeah, I think your right about 1982 being the "novelty" year for the '80s. Prince and MJ were around then, but there style of music was just beginning to take hold in the mainstream, just like MTV, which at that time had only been around for a few months.

Every modern decade has a similar year as well. For another example, you could say 1992 or maybe 1993 was the "novelty" year for the '90s, since that was when grunge, gangsta rap, and '90s culture as a whole started to take off, but it was so new that nobody really knew where it was going.

Written By: whistledog on 04/05/08 at 7:19 pm

I remember next to nothing about 1982 except that NBC started to suck a little less after Family Ties debuted...

NBC sure did kick it up in 1982.  Not only with 'Family Ties', but 'Cheers', 'Remington Steele', 'Fame', 'Knight Rider', 'Silver Spoons' and 'St. Elsewhere' .. all popular TV shows that are still often talked about in the subject of 80s television

Written By: Brian06 on 04/05/08 at 7:28 pm

I wouldn't quite say Prince was "underground" before 1982, he had 2 platinum albums apparently and a top 20 hit in "I Wanna Be Your Lover" and some other charting songs, though "I Wanna Be Your Lover" is more Disco kind of stuff as is MJ'S "Off the Wall" album, and they hadn't yet come into their own until as you say around 1982.

Written By: Atari on 04/05/08 at 8:28 pm

Video games started to decline in 1982. They say that sometime around June of '82, people just stopped buying them and playing them in arcades. The business held out without a shakeout until mid-'83, then crashed, taking some of the big names with it.

I'd say that video games PEAKED in 1982; in a way, you already have. And some of the best games came out in '82-'83; games that would define genres.

Great post!

Written By: robby76 on 04/05/08 at 11:01 pm

For me 82 is like the lost year musically. Everything seemed to happen in 80/81 and then full on in 83 onwards.

I was gonna say the same about tv as I figured what was on was remnants from the late 70s, but seeing Remington, Silver Spoons et al on there has changed my mind.

I remember playing lots of arcade games at hotels in 82 though - Pacman and Space Invaders mostly.

Written By: Davester on 04/06/08 at 2:41 am

Video games started to decline in 1982. They say that sometime around June of '82, people just stopped buying them and playing them in arcades. The business held out without a shakeout until mid-'83, then crashed, taking some of the big names with it.

I'd say that video games PEAKED in 1982; in a way, you already have. And some of the best games came out in '82-'83; games that would define genres.

Great post!

Everybody and their brother was releasing video games.  Seemed alot of companies, which had nothing at all to do with electronics, were creating divisions devoted to video games.  I think even Quaker Oats and Kelloggs jumped on the gravytrain.  It's where the $$$ was.  The market became saturated with them, and most of them sucked!  No wonder it crashed...

E.T.?!  LOL..!  Terrible game and terrible movie...

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/06/08 at 3:33 pm

I was 5 in 1982, so I remember that's the year of ET, and video games PEAK in that year.  I remember when that's the death of RnB big bands, you know people like Earth, Wind, and Fire, Parliament Funkadelic, The Ohio Players, and all the other big RnB bands that was popular in the 70s.  In the 70s, RnB funk bands were VERY VERY popular, but in 1982, that's when the RnB big band died, BUT Tony Toni Tone and Mint Condition brought the big bands back to RnB in the late 80s and early 90s.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/06/08 at 3:45 pm

Great post!

Thanks. :)

Oh yeah, I sometimes forget about the video game crash making the industry decline after its first peak (about 1979 to '83). It was only really brought back with the NES around 1987.

I do this this year was exciting for new wave and just most pop songs having that catchy keyboard/synthesizer sound. Although there were some '70s holdovers mixed in, it was the first time the new stuff was more popular, it just wasn't quite established, so it had that "not new thing" vibe. Well, from what I know about then at least.

Written By: Entouch on 04/07/08 at 7:53 pm

I thought 1982 was a novelty year for music, because this was before Madonna reign in pop music, Micheal Jackson's Thriller album, and heavy metal music didnt go pop before 1983. The 'New Wave" sound was just becoming more Top 40.  The Human Leage had a big hit called 'Dont You Want Me Baby" which ushered in the synth/pop sound. I believe the rap song 'Planet Rock'  by Afrikka Bambatta had many young men breakdancing. Prince was placing sexually suggestive lyrics in his music before and after  '82.

Written By: dodgeboy on 04/08/08 at 3:03 am

You may be right about '82 being kinda the novelty year, it was the beginning of the core 80s although quite a bit of the 80s already started in '80-'81 (Pac-Man was a huge hit and came out in '80). LOL yup I do remember ET in the theaters back then and liked it. I have a VHS version of the same movie saved somewhere. I also recall the early 80s did have some left overs from the late 70s such as what's left of disco and Jordache jeans but they were going away fast. By '83 the 70s was pretty much all gone.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/08/08 at 4:46 am

You may be right about '82 being kinda the novelty year, it was the beginning of the core 80s although quite a bit of the 80s already started in '80-'81 (Pac-Man was a huge hit and came out in '80). LOL yup I do remember ET in the theaters back then and liked it. I have a VHS version of the same movie saved somewhere. I also recall the early 80s did have some left overs from the late 70s such as what's left of disco and Jordache jeans but they were going away fast. By '83 the 70s was pretty much all gone.

That is SOOO true.  1980-1982 still have some 70s left overs because I remember that they still play disco and a lot of RnB funk in 1980-1982.  1982 was the year that the HUGE RnB funk bands died, if you know what I mean.  In the 70s, the RnB funk bands were HUGE, like 8, 9, 10 or more people in one group, but when 1982 hit, it was over.  Earth, Wind , and Fire was the prime example.  They couldn't survive the rest of the 80s, and they have to disband in 1983.  So, 1982 was the year when things started to change within the pop culture.  I know.  I was there at 5 years old in kindergarten.

Written By: coqueta83 on 04/08/08 at 8:29 pm

Some of my very first memories are from 1982.  :)

Written By: Bobby on 04/09/08 at 12:50 pm

The UK have had plenty of novelty songs over the years (a lot seem to come from the 70s) probably peaking around 1981.

I would have thought the 60s were the years for the novelty record in the US with hits like 'Sugar Sugar' from made up band The Archies, 'Witch Doctor' by David Seville etc etc.

Written By: Paul on 04/09/08 at 2:52 pm

The UK have had plenty of novelty songs over the years (a lot seem to come from the 70s) probably peaking around 1981.

Get away! '82 (and many years therefter) have had a fair share!

Cringe once again to the many delights that '82 'threw up' on British shores...

'Seven Tears' - Goombay Dance Band (which may actually have been from the previous year, but whatever!)
'Ain't No Pleasing You' - Chas & Dave
The English & Scottish Football World Cup themes (in the days when we could both qualify for a major football tournament!  ::))
'Happy Talk' - Captain Sensible
'Da Da Da' - Trio
'Arthur Daley ('E's Alright) - Firm

...and not forgetting the mighty 'Save Your Love' - Renee & Renato

Written By: Bobby on 04/09/08 at 3:12 pm

Get away! '82 (and many years therefter) have had a fair share!

I didn't say it stopped after 1981, lol (compare Mr Blobby in 1993, Zig and Zag with 'Them girls' around the mid 90s and Bob the Builder in 2000).

Cringe once again to the many delights that '82 'threw up' on British shores...

'Seven Tears' - Goombay Dance Band (which may actually have been from the previous year, but whatever!)

One of the rare attempts where I have cringed and liked a song at the same time. A very weird experience, lol.

'Ain't No Pleasing You' - Chas & Dave

I don't consider this a novelty record. Chas and Dave have had similar hits in this vein.

'Happy Talk' - Captain Sensible

You would consider this a novelty record? I thought it was just a product of it's time, lol.

'Da Da Da' - Trio

I consider this a one hit wonder and probably a novelty as a result but . . .  for me, more a one-hit wonder.

'Arthur Daley ('E's Alright) - Firm

Hardly a hit. They did much better with the novelty record 'Star trekkin'' five years later.

...and not forgetting the mighty 'Save Your Love' - Renee & Renato

Ha ha, infamously notorious.  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/09/08 at 3:41 pm

I would have thought the 60s were the years for the novelty record in the US with hits like 'Sugar Sugar' from made up band The Archies, 'Witch Doctor' by David Seville etc etc.

Oh, my bad...when I said "novelty", I meant it in the sense that things which were defining the '80s culture were just burgeoning and becoming noticeable for the first time. Not like actual novelty music lol.

I agree the Eighties probably got off the ground in the UK quicker than in the States. I mean the British new wave bands were there, and alot of the early Genesis songs from 1980 and '81 sound totally '80s.

Written By: Bobby on 04/10/08 at 7:31 am

Oh, my bad...when I said "novelty", I meant it in the sense that things which were defining the '80s culture were just burgeoning and becoming noticeable for the first time. Not like actual novelty music lol.

I agree the Eighties probably got off the ground in the UK quicker than in the States. I mean the British new wave bands were there, and alot of the early Genesis songs from 1980 and '81 sound totally '80s.

What are you like, Marty?  ::) ;)

If it's another 'when did pure 80s music start' type thing I do realise these days that the 80s in the US were very different to the UK when it comes to chart music. USA had the rock thing in the early 80s that continued from the 70s (like John Mellancamp, Bruce Springsteen, Huey Lewis etc etc) and the UK started things rolling with New Wave and New Romantics (Visage, ABC, Adam and the Ants, Human League . . .).

For me, the 80s sound started in the late 70s with Gary Numan, Kraftwerk and early workings of OMD and Human League but I will still go with the idea that 1981 was the novelty year that kicked off the UK 80s.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/10/08 at 5:23 pm

What are you like, Marty?  ::) ;)

If it's another 'when did pure 80s music start' type thing I do realise these days that the 80s in the US were very different to the UK when it comes to chart music. USA had the rock thing in the early 80s that continued from the 70s (like John Mellancamp, Bruce Springsteen, Huey Lewis etc etc) and the UK started things rolling with New Wave and New Romantics (Visage, ABC, Adam and the Ants, Human League . . .).

For me, the 80s sound started in the late 70s with Gary Numan, Kraftwerk and early workings of OMD and Human League but I will still go with the idea that 1981 was the novelty year that kicked off the UK 80s.

Yeah, it took awhile for new wave and synthpop bands to become mainstream, but they were around as early as 1979. I'm assuming they were more popular over there first, too? I think it took MTV to break them beyond an underground level here in the states.

It seems like traditional classic rock mixed with pop in the early-mid '80s. That's what I'd put stuff like Journey and Huey into. Even hair metal like Bon Jovi was like an evolved, poppy form of classic rock in a way, imo.

Written By: Bobby on 05/07/08 at 6:21 am

Yeah, it took awhile for new wave and synthpop bands to become mainstream, but they were around as early as 1979. I'm assuming they were more popular over there first, too? I think it took MTV to break them beyond an underground level here in the states.

That's right. The German group Kraftwerk (according to Wikipedia, 'Kraftwerk' means 'Power plant' in German)released the very 80s sounding 'The Model' (a hit in 1981) on their 1978 album 'The Man-Machine' but they had been doing all this type of stuff since the album 'Autobahn' in 1974. Kraftwerk really did shape popular music as we know it today.

It seems like traditional classic rock mixed with pop in the early-mid '80s. That's what I'd put stuff like Journey and Huey into. Even hair metal like Bon Jovi was like an evolved, poppy form of classic rock in a way, imo.

I think there was a British invasion around 1982/1983 that shook the US charts. According to my 'Guiness Book of Hit Singles', the UK influence (no doubt thanks to MTV) allowed 34 tracks to enter the US Top 10 in 1983 (at one point the top 10 was dominated by UK acts), 27 tracks entered the US Top 10 in 1984 and then 35, 33 tracks to enter the US Top 10 in 1985, 1986 respectively - in fact, the UK influence only started dropping around 1990/1991 when only 17 tracks hit the US top 10 and since then we haven't made an impact.

I don't have anything over the last few years but we have had very little UK success in the US between 1999 - 2002. Since then, our highest effort was 2 tracks that entered the US top 10 in 2001.

Written By: dmfan420 on 05/07/08 at 12:51 pm

I was 12 turning 13 in '82.
What I remember beeing big back then is....New wave exploding on mainstream radio (Duran Duran, Human League, Devo, Missing Persons etc). Rock was still a big part of radio too, Billy Idol, Styx, .38 Special....Cable was still brand new and if you wern't lucky enough to live in a town that had cable, your alternative was "ON TV"!! (Anyone else remember this??)
Movies that rocked '82, Poltergiest, 48 hours, Creepshow, Evil Dead, Porky's, Star Trek II:Wrath Of Kahn and The Wall. 
And wasn't that the year that Happy Days went off the air?

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 05/07/08 at 3:54 pm

For music I'd definitely disagree as 1982 being the novelty year, that title belongs to 1984. That was when Van Halen's album '1984' shot to #2, Thriller became the best selling album of all time, the Scorpions released their single 'Rock you like a Hurricane', Prince and Madonna got huge, and it was the year when glam metal (I only refer to the second wave of glam bands as "hair metal" i.e. Poison, Warrant, Winger, etc.) made its debut with Motley Crue's Shout at the Devil and Quiet Riots Metal Health getting big. Metallica released 'Ride the Lightning' and Slayer released 'Hell Awaits,' making thrash a powerful new genre. New Wave was more popular than ever. 1982 was more of a precursor and 1983 was when everything began, but 1984 was when 80's music really found an identity.

Oh, and while we're on the subject, the Cosby Show debuted in 1984 and Beverly Hills Cop came out that year too.  :)

I rest my case.  8)

Written By: Bobby on 05/07/08 at 5:45 pm

And wasn't that the year that Happy Days went off the air?

According to IMDB, Happy Days went on until 1984 (Richie and Ralph left in 1980 to do 'army service')! It never recovered from Fonzie literally 'jumping the shark' in 1977, seen as a cynical attempt to cash in on the contemporary Jaws theme at the time despite it's 50s/60s sensibilities. The fact that Happy Days continued for a further seven years after this is quite a testament to itself.

Check for new replies or respond here...