inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Androgynous Men

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/07/08 at 5:47 pm

Hey Everybody!

I know that in the late 70s and through out the 80s men became quite androgynous. With influences from people like David Bowie, Prince and Michael Jackson, men got in touch with their feminine sides, from little things like a bit of eyeliner to full on make up and lace and heels. (Did I already mention Prince?) I was wondering, what are your feelings when you see and.or hear of androgynous men?

Do you like it, tolerate it or flat out hate it?

For me, personally, it's kinda cool. I mean I am a Prince fan, and back in the day, the man did the (bleep)ing thing with full make up, lace, pearls and furs. And in high heels!

Well answer please.  :)

Subject: Re: Androgynous Men

Written By: Bobby on 04/07/08 at 6:44 pm

I think people like David Bowie, Prince and Michael Jackson were genuinely intriguing people in their own right. The early 80s had a few 'feminine' men in the form of Boy George and the Marilyn Manson lookalike ironically called Marilyn who didn't carry the same mystique in my opinion.

Written By: whistledog on 04/07/08 at 6:53 pm

^ and you can't forget Pete Burns (Dead or Alive)

Written By: Jessica on 04/07/08 at 7:01 pm

I think he's more than androgynous now. :D

http://www.dlisted.com/node/12268

Written By: whistledog on 04/07/08 at 7:04 pm

I think he's more than androgynous now. :D

http://www.dlisted.com/node/12268

I guess he found his 'Brand New Lover' :D

Written By: Bobby on 04/07/08 at 7:09 pm

How could I forget Pete Burns? *Slaps head*

Jessica is right, Burns thinks he's a woman.  ;D

I suppose Divine ought to be in the list somewhere.

Written By: Entouch on 04/07/08 at 7:26 pm

How can you forget Adam Ant? :-\\

Written By: karen on 04/07/08 at 8:58 pm

How can you forget Adam Ant? :-\\

Whilst he wore make-up I never once wondered if he was male or female (and my grandma never asked either - usually a good check!).  Personally speaking I think Pete Burns was also in this category (but plastic surgery changed that).

Another in the clearly a man but wearing make up category is Bryan Ferry.

Written By: robby76 on 04/07/08 at 9:02 pm

I think you get "androgynous" men in everyday life, so to find a "few" in the entertainment biz isn't surprising.  ;D

Written By: KKay on 04/07/08 at 9:20 pm

my entire world roated around these guys and I emulated them.  I was totally into the look and spent years in short hair and big suit jackets.

it was really good timing for me. ahhh, the 80s.  no one EVER assumed you were gay if you cross-dressed. 

Written By: midnite on 04/07/08 at 10:07 pm

Whats wrong with a little makeup now and again?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/07/08 at 10:37 pm

I happen to have a fetish for men who wear eyeliner...so HOT! ;)

Written By: midnite on 04/07/08 at 10:46 pm

guyliner, its no fun without the lashes.  LOL

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/07/08 at 11:00 pm

What about Boy George???  I remember when I was a kid in the 80s, I always thought that he was a girl until I found out that he was a man.  Nevertheless I like his music, especially "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?" "Time (Clock Of The Heart)", "Karma Chameleon", "Don't Take My Mind On A Trip", "Church Of A Poison Mind".  Those were my songs!

Written By: robby76 on 04/08/08 at 5:33 am

What about Boy George???  I remember when I was a kid in the 80s, I always thought that he was a girl until I found out that he was a man.  Nevertheless I like his music, especially "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?" "Time (Clock Of The Heart)", "Karma Chameleon", "Don't Take My Mind On A Trip", "Church Of A Poison Mind".  Those were my songs!

I actually used to dress up as Boy George as an 8 yr old!  ??? :)

Written By: KKay on 04/08/08 at 7:01 am

he was a huge influence on fashion too.

that's where i got that stupid big black hat.

but you're right- good choice!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/08/08 at 5:20 pm

I liked Boy George and it was years before I realized "she" was a "he"  :)

Written By: Todd on 04/09/08 at 8:53 pm

I totally embraced androgyny in the 80s.  Not so much with make-up and hair...but with fashion.  I didnt waste my time with "unisex" shirts or pants...Rather I went all in with actual skirts, dresses, colored tights, etc.  Yeah, I did get picked on occasionaly, but overall I had such positive reactions from people!  Especially from cute girls.  In fact,  I should mention I am totally straight.  I had a wonderful girlfriend then who was also very cute!  Some guys would joke that maybe they needed to wear dresses to attract such cute girls!  haha!  I  just happened to think gals fashions in the 80s were just more fun and varied than what was available to men.  I still dress up in this stuff for 80s theme nights and costume parties.

Written By: Katrinawitch on 04/10/08 at 2:14 pm

I loved the slightly androgynous look of groups like Duran Duran, who could wear the heck out of eyeliner!  I also loved the gorgeous young Jim Kerr of Simple Minds, who did a bit of makeup in the early 80's, and totally rocked it.  I didn't like when they went overboard, though.

So many of the "New Romantic" groups did a bit of makeup, and they were all the better for it!

Written By: cinnabon on 04/10/08 at 5:10 pm

Don't forget about the hair bands who wore makeup and hair spray in the 80s too like Motley Crue and Twisted Sister.  8)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/10/08 at 7:03 pm

I was really fond of Poison and Nelson.  ;)

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/10/08 at 7:05 pm

I actually used to dress up as Boy George as an 8 yr old!  ??? :)

YOU DID?????

Written By: robby76 on 04/11/08 at 12:46 am

YOU DID?????

Actually it was only the once in 1985, but yes my Mum took photographic evidence! 8-P

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/11/08 at 4:33 pm

Can we see the "photographic evidence?"  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/12/08 at 9:32 pm

How could I forget Pete Burns? *Slaps head*

Jessica is right, Burns thinks he's a woman.  ;D

I suppose Divine ought to be in the list somewhere.

Nuh-nuh-no! Divine was a crossdresser.  Androgyny--think Annie Lennox and Martin Gore.  Some would say Boy George, but I call that, again, transvestitism rather than androgyny.

Written By: Bobby on 05/13/08 at 5:17 pm

Nuh-nuh-no! Divine was a crossdresser.  Androgyny--think Annie Lennox and Martin Gore.  Some would say Boy George, but I call that, again, transvestitism rather than androgyny.

*slaps head again*

;D

Written By: Gis on 05/14/08 at 3:45 am

I was really fond of Poison and Nelson.  ;)
Nelson didn't wear make-up but they were very pretty!

My rule of thumb when I was part of that scene was if a guy is wearing more make-up than me then it's too much.  ;D

Eyeliner on guys is HOT.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/14/08 at 4:05 am

I think Mick Jagger is quite androgynous, he got into the make up thing, and when the Stones first started making it big there were all kinds of whispers about his sexuality.  He is a man enough for a woman, and woman enough for a man.

Check for new replies or respond here...