inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Different Strokes" on BET

Written By: woops on 04/08/08 at 5:07 pm

I recently watched the sitcom "Different Strokes", featuring Gary Coleman" in it's entirity since I've only seen clips of it on "True Hollywood Story" and VH1 specials. Unfortunately, I found the show overly corny and badly dated. The episode featuring the late Dana Plato's character going to a public school. The acting is no different than a modern Disney Channel sitcom, though in the eyes of nostalgia it's a great show.  (Though I cringe when I watch "Saved by the Bell", though never liked the show... the original "Power Rangers" also haven't stood the test of time either)

Well, incase anybody's wondering, it's now on BET.

Subject: Re: "Different Strokes" on BET

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/08/08 at 5:35 pm

I actually like Different Strokes. If it wasn't for that show, we'd have never gotten my fave show of all time--The Facts of Life. But really, I think the show is funny, and I really hate that Dana Plato died so tragically. (She actually died on my 13th birthday.) I really liked the show and thought it was funny and cute.

Written By: whistledog on 04/08/08 at 7:43 pm

Diff'rent Strokes was a show I grew up watching.  I loved it then, and I love it now, and it's way better than any of the trash on the Disney Channel

The one thing I didn't like was in it's final season when it switched networks.  They revamped the theme song and brought in new characters

Written By: Tia on 04/08/08 at 7:46 pm

kim richards was on diff'rent strokes a couple times. i like those episodes. if it's not a hello larry crossover ep, i'm afraid i can't be bothered.

i remember watching them when they were first run and/or in broadcast syndication, and feeling ambivalent about them. i sorta liked them just because iliked watching t.v., but they basically sucked.

Written By: whistledog on 04/08/08 at 7:57 pm

kim richards was on diff'rent strokes a couple times. i like those episodes. if it's not a hello larry crossover ep, i'm afraid i can't be bothered.

i remember watching them when they were first run and/or in broadcast syndication, and feeling ambivalent about them. i sorta liked them just because iliked watching t.v., but they basically sucked.

I loved those Hello Larry episodes.  It's a shame that show didn't survive.  They crossed over those shows in the hopes that it would, but it didn't :(

Written By: coqueta83 on 04/08/08 at 8:31 pm

We used to watch Diff'rent Strokes on TV all the time. Good to hear it's on TV again.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 04/08/08 at 9:48 pm

Hated Dif'rent Strokes.... Loved Facts of Life.  Go figure... one was just better written than the other.  I never found Gary Coleman all that cute. Plus  I have always had a problem with the concept of saving the poor little black kid.. that concept has always bugged me.  And I really hate the theme song...

A man is born he's a man of means
Then along come two they got nothing but their jeans.

It don't matter that you got not a lot so what
They'll have theirs, you'll have yours and I'll have mine
and together we'll be fine. 

Sorry I didn't feel like typing out the whole song.. basically my issue lies with the separation of means ...

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/09/08 at 3:55 pm

Facts of Life is better to me. (I related SO WELL to Tootie) I liked the few episodes that Kim Fields was on Different Strokes.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/09/08 at 9:55 pm

What chu' talking about, Woops?

That show was the bomb, especially the special episode of Dudley's misfortune of meeting a sick, perverted bike merchant!! Good times, indeed.

I loved Facts of Life, especially Blair and Jo.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/10/08 at 12:39 pm

I loved this show!!! :)

Written By: ninny on 04/10/08 at 1:26 pm

I watched and loved both Different Strokes and The Facts of life

take the good,
You take the bad,
You take them both and there you have the facts of life.
The facts of life.

It's funny how growing up you think things are so good.

Written By: Tia on 04/10/08 at 1:49 pm

I recently watched the sitcom "Different Strokes", featuring Gary Coleman" in it's entirity since I've only seen clips of it on "True Hollywood Story" and VH1 specials. Unfortunately, I found the show overly corny and badly dated. The episode featuring the late Dana Plato's character going to a public school. The acting is no different than a modern Disney Channel sitcom, though in the eyes of nostalgia it's a great show.  (Though I cringe when I watch "Saved by the Bell", though never liked the show... the original "Power Rangers" also haven't stood the test of time either)

Well, incase anybody's wondering, it's now on BET.
so wait. you didn't like it, but you watched the entire thing?  :o that was like six or seven seasons or something! man, talk about giving something a second chance! :o

Written By: woops on 04/10/08 at 3:51 pm

I was born in the mid 1980's... showing my age and ignorance :P :-[ :-X :D

Check for new replies or respond here...