inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Roller skating and the Hokey Pokey- who did this version?

Written By: Atari on 04/12/08 at 4:02 pm

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/hokey-pokey-on-roller-skates/2344456625

I'm trying to figure out who did this version of Hokey Pokey, as it was the same one we used to hear at Kentwood Arena back in the 80s, and I'd like to get ahold of it. Anyone have any idea who it is?

Subject: Re: Roller skating and the Hokey Pokey- who did this version?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/12/08 at 4:46 pm

From wikipedia, is this helpful?

"There is another contrary belief that states that Robert P. Degan and Joseph P. Brier, both natives of Scranton, Pennsylvania, wrote the original song as confirmed by the U.S. Copyright Office in 1996, thus giving two groups of musicians the rights. Ray Anthony's big band recording of the song turned it into a nationwide sensation by the mid-1950s (The "Hokey Pokey" appeared on the B side of Anthony's "Bunny Hop" single)(According to my Capitol Collector's Series Ray Anthony cd, "The Hokey Pokey" appears on Capitol 2427 while the "Bunny Hop" was on Capitol 2251. The songs do appear in sequence on the cd, so perhaps this is the source of confusion.) Its rights were purchased in the mid-1960s by country-western music star Roy Acuff's publishing company, Acuff-Rose."

Written By: Atari on 04/12/08 at 4:48 pm

"There is another contrary belief that states that Robert P. Degan and Joseph P. Brier, both natives of Scranton, Pennsylvania, wrote the original song as confirmed by the U.S. Copyright Office in 1996, thus giving two groups of musicians the rights. Ray Anthony's big band recording of the song turned it into a nationwide sensation by the mid-1950s (The "Hokey Pokey" appeared on the B side of Anthony's "Bunny Hop" single)(According to my Capitol Collector's Series Ray Anthony cd, "The Hokey Pokey" appears on Capitol 2427 while the "Bunny Hop" was on Capitol 2251. The songs do appear in sequence on the cd, so perhaps this is the source of confusion.) Its rights were purchased in the mid-1960s by country-western music star Roy Acuff's publishing company, Acuff-Rose."

Yeah... I found that article and have tried pretty much everyone listed there. I may have to pay a visit to the rink and ask them, if they still have the same owners.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/12/08 at 8:34 pm

OMG! I remember the Hokey Pokey and the Bunny Hop.  The used to play both every time we went to the roller rink.  There was a period of a couple of years in the early '80s when we went once or twice a week.  Rollah skatin' as they used to call it where I'm from.  Anyway, I never joined in either dance.  Horrible.
:D

Written By: filmmakingjoe on 10/31/09 at 5:17 pm

I'm trying to figure out who did this version of Hokey Pokey, as it was the same one we used to hear at Kentwood Arena back in the 80s, and I'd like to get ahold of it. Anyone have any idea who it is?

This is an old topic. But, its relevant because I am also trying to get this version of Hokey Pokey. I have a friend who owns a roller rink and has a 45 record dated 1979. Its the same version you are looking for. Here's the info I have:

Thanks Records (or ThanksRecords) Hokey Pokey (Skating version) produced by Mike Stanglin (1979)

His record is wearing out and really wants to find it on cd. I found a reference online to a cd that contains 8 songs, including the one above, and is titled "Various, ThanksRecords". It lists the tracks but there really isn't enough to find it for sale. If you have better luck than I, email me. If I find it, I will post back. My email is filmmakingjoe (at) gmail (dot) com

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/09 at 6:29 am

The Robert P. Degan's funeral was private, attended mostly by family and close acquaintances. The most traumatic part was getting him into the coffin. They put his left leg in...and then the trouble started.

Written By: Mike Stanglin on 12/19/09 at 7:16 pm

I produced the Hokey Pokey that you are referring to in 1978.  My family owned a roller rink in Dallas and I worked at Capitol Records at the time and saw the need for a current version.  Still have copies, plus records we had at the rink in that era.  Contact me at mstanglin@att.net
Thanks...

Written By: JasonL on 02/05/10 at 8:47 pm

Here's another video of the song.  It's the whole song and a little better quality.  Brings back memories!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCWojJaXqno

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/05/10 at 9:22 pm

In elementary school they made us do that silly dance every morning!

Ditto!

Written By: Doctormusic on 05/07/10 at 11:23 pm

You can obtain a CD with this version of the Hokey Pokey on it at the following website: (http://www.pennygilley.com/Shopping.htm).

Penny Gilley is the wife of Producer Mike Stanglin and this CD is listed at the bottom of her store page.  I have been unable to determine who the performers were.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/08/10 at 4:11 am

In elementary school they made us do that silly dance every morning!
Every morning?

Written By: Atari on 12/19/11 at 1:42 am

I produced the Hokey Pokey that you are referring to in 1978.  My family owned a roller rink in Dallas and I worked at Capitol Records at the time and saw the need for a current version.  Still have copies, plus records we had at the rink in that era.  Contact me at mstanglin@att.net
Thanks...

Wow, thanks Mike. I know this thread is ancient, but wanted to reply anyway. I got ahold of the Roller Rink Music CD some time ago; I had found the link referenced above by searching around, and took a chance on the CD. I'm glad I did. Great memories!

Check for new replies or respond here...