inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: FAME

Written By: KKay on 04/14/08 at 1:44 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iFRt1ae5mc&feature=related

I never watched the film but I loved the tv show, and the songs...

Subject: Re: FAME

Written By: snozberries on 04/14/08 at 3:30 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iFRt1ae5mc&feature=related

I never watched the film but I loved the tv show, and the songs...

The movie is very good but different from the show... for one thing the movie actually takes the kids through all four years but the TV show starts many of the same characters off as freshman again.

Doris
Coco
LeRoy
Bruno
and Montgomery were all in the movie.

Debbie Allen had a small role which can be seen here in one of my favorite scenes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPykcX5qm2o  the person who submitted it though cut out too early...in the middle of the dance audition is an audition for a guy trying to get in to the drama program.... at the point were the clip cuts off the teacher is telling him by the way Juliet is the girls part...it's too bad they didn't keep it in to keep the clip consistent.

Also if you look closely at the dancers during red light you see Michael DeLorenzo (he's sitting down wearing a grey sweatshirt)... he was a featured dancer/extra from the TV series and went on to star in New York Undercover.

Check it out kay it 80's gritty but its done by Alan Parker so its not as gritty as say Taxi driver but you can see the tone they were going for.  I love it. and love the TV show... I can watch both and never compare them.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/14/08 at 3:31 pm

I saw the show in the 80s before I saw the film.  I saw the film on cable in the mid 90s.  It's a good movie.  Irene Cara was singing her heart out on"Out Here On My Own".

Written By: snozberries on 04/14/08 at 4:01 pm

yeah about the only I don't like about the movie are Irene Cara's bangs.  ;D

Written By: cinnabon on 04/14/08 at 4:06 pm

I remember when Janet Jackson was a regular (she played Cleo) during the 1984-85 season, then she left after one season to pursue her real-life singing career.

I was saddened to hear about Gene Anthony Ray's (Leroy) death a few years ago.  :\'(

Written By: snozberries on 04/14/08 at 4:12 pm

I remember when Janet Jackson was a regular (she played Cleo) during the 1984-85 season, then she left after one season to pursue her real-life singing career.

I was saddened to hear about Gene Anthony Ray's (Leroy) death a few years ago.  :\'(

Yeah... Janet did not get enough episodes... I love the concert tho because Dream Street had just come out so she performed Don't Stand Another Chance... they also showed the video at the end of one of the episodes.

If you look closely in the series you'll find Jasmine Guy as one of the dancers  also EG Daily who played Smokey went on to be the voice of Tommy Pickles.  Actually EG Daily was in the background or had small roles in tons of films from the 80s.

Q

Written By: karen on 04/14/08 at 4:40 pm

I didn't know he had died.  I used to like him.  I remember I had a Fame calendar and his picture was for August which is the month of my birthday.  I thought it was some sort of sign!

Written By: snozberries on 04/14/08 at 4:46 pm

I didn't know he had died.  I used to like him.  I remember I had a Fame calendar and his picture was for August which is the month of my birthday.  I thought it was some sort of sign!

the last thing I remember seeing him in was the film Eddie...he was the choreographer for the Knicks dance team and can be seen briefly when they do their routine. 

There were a few Fame reunions a few years ago  I might have them on Tape or DVD somewhere. those were fun.  He was really happy to see Debbie.

Written By: KKay on 04/14/08 at 9:01 pm

I loved the ballads from the film; Is it OK If I Call You Mine and Out Here on My Own

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/14/08 at 9:54 pm

The first season is available on DVD.  Although for some inexplicable reason, it didn't sell well.

I'm a real youtube addict for Fame stuff.  They have alot there if ya look for it.

I always used to love Bruno and Montgomery, and well Doris was my girl.  I wish I had the talent and/or confidence to have tried out for that school.  I never used to miss an episode back in the day.  Even when we went to visit grandma or my aunts, I'd commendere their television for Fame.  ;D

Written By: cinnabon on 04/15/08 at 5:22 am

My favorite character was Danny the blond guy with the New York accent - he was really cute!  :)

Written By: snozberries on 04/15/08 at 5:27 am

Patti what are your favorite songs from the series?

I loved 

Starmaker
I Still Believe in Me
Step Up to the Mike
Beautiful Dreamer
Reach for a Dream
Be Your Own Hero
Bet Your Life It's Me

as you can probably tell I'm a huge Coco fan!

Written By: robby76 on 04/15/08 at 6:23 am

Oh yeah Fame the tv series was definitely in and amongst my watched shows of the 80s. We even had an episode on vhs for many years. I keep thinking about buying the season 1 dvds but haven't yet. My sisters used to love Danny.

Written By: snozberries on 04/15/08 at 6:24 am

Oh yeah Fame the tv series was definitely in and amongst my watched shows of the 80s. We even had an episode on vhs for many years. I keep thinking about buying the season 1 dvds but haven't yet. My sisters used to love Danny.

please do because the rest of us want to see season 2 come out!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/15/08 at 6:50 am

Patti what are your favorite songs from the series?

Be my music
Could We Be Magic
I Still Believe in Me
Desdemona
Once in awhile
It didn't work out that way
Friday Night
A very special place
Life is a celebration
We got the power to be

Written By: snozberries on 04/15/08 at 6:51 am

Be my music
Could We Be Magic
I Still Believe in Me
Desdemona
Once in awhile
It didn't work out that way
Friday Night
A very special place
Life is a celebration
We got the power to be

life is a celebration is a good one too.

Written By: KKay on 04/15/08 at 6:57 am

im' shocked that this tv show is not being re-made...it would never be as good!

http://crazyabouttv.com/Images/fame.jpg

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/15/08 at 7:07 am

^ Funnily enough, that was a picture of the cast from the film (not the t.v. series) although both were equally great.

The movie had some great songs in it too.  I played that cd soundtrack to death.

Written By: KKay on 04/15/08 at 7:11 am

^ Funnily enough, that was a picture of the cast from the film (not the t.v. series) although both were equally great.

The movie had some great songs in it too.  I played that cd soundtrack to death.

me too...

there is so much online about the two. i am really enjoying watching old clips of the movie and the tv show.

Written By: coqueta83 on 04/15/08 at 7:54 pm

I remember watching the syndicated version of Fame from time to time. I didn't see the movie until the early 90's. I thought it was great!  :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/15/08 at 9:31 pm

The movie was my first "exposure" to Rocky Horror Picture Show, and I thought "Wow, they look like they are having alot of fun."  So the first chance I got to go to a showing in the movie theater I went.  It was a blast.

I always liked the teacher characters too, especially Shorofsky.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/15/08 at 11:03 pm

I love both the show and the movie. I saw the movie prior to the show's release. Whoo-hoo!!!

Yes, I am a Coco fan, followed by Nia's character, Nicole.

Who can forget the song, "Dream Street" that Janet Jackson sang?

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/16/08 at 8:44 am

I love both the show and the movie. I saw the movie prior to the show's release. Whoo-hoo!!!

Yes, I am a Coco fan, followed by Nia's character, Nicole.

Who can forget the song, "Dream Street" that Janet Jackson sang?

Girl, I remember that song like it's yesterday.  I  saw the video when it first came out.

Written By: Gis on 04/16/08 at 2:41 pm

I loved both the film and the T.V show. You should try and read the book it's great.

Written By: snozberries on 04/19/08 at 12:45 am

I loved both the film and the T.V show. You should try and read the book it's great.

book? what book?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/19/08 at 9:40 pm

I like the movie and have the movie and I've seena few of the TV episodes that Janet Jackson was in. It was pretty good. I can't beleve that Gene Anthony Ray died. That's so sad. I really liked him and his "devil may care " attitude he had in the movie.  :( He was a really talented dancer.

Written By: robby76 on 04/22/08 at 6:13 am

Remember, remember, remember... FAME!

We had this very episode for many years on vhs and finding clips from it on You Tube brought back so many memories.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KFr4tBnXJ38

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1GYWoXi9In0

Here's a pic of the tv cast...

http://bp3.blogger.com/_ZE__reuZJVo/SAIjV8EQPNI/AAAAAAAAAJI/FFezQ1s8PR8/s320/fame.JPG

http://retroatitsbest.blogspot.com/2008/04/fame.html

Written By: KKay on 04/22/08 at 7:16 am

this was cool:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kH72VqSSBcU&feature=related

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/22/08 at 5:37 pm

book? what book?

OK, I think I found what book she mentions, here: http://www.fameforever.net/series/chapters.php  The full contents is online.  Yay!  Just don't know if the book had pictures or not. But hey, beggars can't be choosers.  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 04/22/08 at 9:22 pm

OK, I think I found what book she mentions, here: http://www.fameforever.net/series/chapters.php  The full contents is online.  Yay!  Just don't know if the book had pictures or not. But hey, beggars can't be choosers.  ;)

right on.... something to do next time I work a graveyard shift!!!

Written By: snozberries on 04/22/08 at 9:23 pm

I just remembered that I sent Lee Cureri (Bruno) an email like 10 years ago...he was very nice when he responded... I don't have it anymore tho.

Written By: KKay on 04/23/08 at 8:50 am

I just remembered that I sent Lee Cureri (Bruno) an email like 10 years ago...he was very nice when he responded... I don't have it anymore tho.

really?! that's so cute.  i'm glad you got a reply and that it was nice.
great story!

Written By: snozberries on 04/23/08 at 8:58 pm

really?! that's so cute.  i'm glad you got a reply and that it was nice.
great story!

yeah he was totally cool about it.

I had emailed him because I was trying to figure out what the hold up was on the season 2 cd.  He wrote some of the songs so I figured he might have some insight.

He didn't have the insight really but was flattered that there were fans out there interested in his music...then he tried to sell me a CD  ;D 

I also exchanged an email with Valerie Landesberg for the same reason. They were both very nice.

I also- totally unrelated to Fame.... exchanged and email with Pat M.  aka Joey Jeramiah from Degrassi.... I bought some Degrassi memorabilia from him on ebay and got him to send me  this pic...

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/degrassi.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...