inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: E.T. - ExcellenT or ovEr-raTed?

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/15/08 at 10:25 am

I enjoy this movie, but sometimes I wonder how it was such a phenomenon.  It has wonderful moments, and Drew Barrymore is adorable in her role, but a lot of things really irritate me, like Elliot's mom (most of the time) and some of the dialogue.

What do you think?

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j197/crate2006/et_poster.jpg

Subject: Re: E.T. - ExcellenT or ovEr-raTed?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/15/08 at 10:53 am

Excellent movie, one that the whole family can enjoy and cry too.

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/15/08 at 11:05 am

Excellent when I was young, overrated now that I'm an old, jaded fart!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/15/08 at 11:16 am

Ok..I might be the odd person out...but I HATE this movie..I always have. ET creeped the hell out of me (especially his sausage link fingers, and the scene where he and Elliott were both sick and pasty pale as ghosts). I say it is totally overrated. 8-P

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/15/08 at 12:02 pm

Ok..I might be the odd person out...but I HATE this movie..I always have. ET creeped the hell out of me (especially his sausage link fingers, and the scene where he and Elliott were both sick and pasty pale as ghosts). I say it is totally overrated. 8-P

LOL I think my boss probably heard me laughing at this.  Sausage link fingers  ;D  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/15/08 at 1:39 pm

LOL I think my boss probably heard me laughing at this.  Sausage link fingers  ;D  ;D

hhahahah!!! :D ;D

Oh, and lookie here....apparently at one time or another...one was actually able to purchase a replica of the said finger! :D

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/900/e1205077qm6.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/15/08 at 1:42 pm

Oh, and lookie here....apparently at one time or another...one was actually able to purchase a replica of the said finger! :D

The mind boggles

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/15/08 at 1:44 pm

The mind boggles

I suppose it would come in handy if you were trying to accentuate the fact that you were flipping someone off. ??? ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/15/08 at 2:11 pm

I suppose it would come in handy if you were trying to accentuate the fact that you were flipping someone off. ??? ;D
Did the plastic finger glow at the end?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/15/08 at 2:23 pm

Did the plastic finger glow at the end?

yes! :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/15/08 at 2:27 pm

yes! :D
...and batteries had to be put in it?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/15/08 at 2:36 pm

...and batteries had to be put in it?

probably. I never had one..I just found a picture of it online.

Written By: woops on 04/15/08 at 3:09 pm

overrated,  and the alien is creepy

Written By: whistledog on 04/15/08 at 3:11 pm

I haven't watched E.T. since I was a kid, so I can't really say.  When I was a kid through, E.T. was awesome

Written By: Midas on 04/15/08 at 3:27 pm

Karma girl!  I didn't like it neither!  He looks like a turd!

My brother had this E.T. blow-up punching bag that stood about 3 feet high.  I think my dad used to move it around our bedroom at night.  My brother hated E.T. too so eventually he took a pin to the punching bag ;D

I think they still sell these but not at kids' stores...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/15/08 at 4:22 pm

Awesome movie in 1982 when it released. We waited in line for 2 hours outside the theatre on opening day to go see it. Now it's kinda hokey, the special effects are not very special.  ;D     but as mentioned earlier, a family movie. My favorite part is when Elliot and ET are in his room, and he's trying to explain earthly things to him, using his toys to try to tell him how things are here on earth. He shows him a Mr Peanut piggy bank and says "see, this is a peanut, you eat it, but you can't eat this one. and this is a nickel, you put it in the peanut.

Written By: whistledog on 04/15/08 at 4:23 pm

;D

Written By: johnny5alive on 04/15/08 at 8:41 pm

personally i think et was ok, but a bit over rated  i liked close encounters much better, also cocoon and batteries not included  also the last starfighter  and of course short circuit

Written By: Davester on 04/15/08 at 10:24 pm

Judging E.T. as a 12 y/o exclusively, I was disappointed.  Maybe I didn't pay attention to the commercials but I was expecting intergalactic warfare ala that popular sci-fi movie that came out in the 70s.  That one part was kind of sad, though, when E.T. died...

I mean, sheesh, they couldn't have blown-up at least one planet..? 

I haven't watched it since seeing it in 1982...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/15/08 at 10:27 pm

Karma girl!  I didn't like it neither!  He looks like a turd!

My brother had this E.T. blow-up punching bag that stood about 3 feet high.  I think my dad used to move it around our bedroom at night.  My brother hated E.T. too so eventually he took a pin to the punching bag ;D

hahhahaahh!!!! :D ;D Hmm...I wonder if they light up at the tip? :D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/15/08 at 11:01 pm

I loved this movie and my son likes it, too.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/16/08 at 12:08 am

I cried at the movie theater when I saw it way back when.  I was so embarrassed because both my mom and brother were laughing at me for crying.  So I've never seen it more then that one time.  As I recall it was a good movie, just a little long.  Didn't Spielberg go back and edit out the parts where the boys called each other "terrorists" as a lame insult?  I think I remember reading that somewhere.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/16/08 at 12:55 am

I can remember my Grandmother taking me to see it.  It wasn't exactly my favorite movie.  Somehow I ended up with an E.T. doll and E.T. bedsheets. ::)  The only good thing that came out of it was my love of Reeses Pieces.

Written By: Davester on 04/16/08 at 1:58 am

I can remember my Grandmother taking me to see it.  It wasn't exactly my favorite movie.  Somehow I ended up with an E.T. doll and E.T. bedsheets. ::)  The only good thing that came out of it was my love of Reeses Pieces.

Oh yeah, the Reese's Pieces!  I ate my fair share of those...

Written By: snozberries on 04/16/08 at 3:15 am

I saw it like 10 times in the theater. I loved it!  I have watched it since then and I still like it. Its a good feel good movie.. the kids are excellent... plus C Thomas Howell is in it too  ;D 

The family was falling apart and ET brought them back together. Elliott with his "Jan Brady like" middle child syndrome was finally able to find something he could relate to he was a sensitive child who learned that loving someone sometimes means letting them go...hmmm good (and timely) lesson.

Written By: Atari on 04/16/08 at 4:07 pm

Yeah... I'm with you. I always thought it as kind of a wussy movie and hated it.

But then again, I like Tron and Joysticks, so there's no accounting for taste :)

Written By: Atari on 04/16/08 at 4:11 pm

Er... um.. well...

Oh nevermind. It's just too easy  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/08 at 4:21 pm

At the time of viewing E.T, my son was learning to talk and the speaking of E.T. brought it home to me.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/16/08 at 4:30 pm

...*Tries to keep mind OUT OF gutter*

*Fails*  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/16/08 at 10:16 pm

you all are pervs. Let me tell you where you can stick that finger!! >:( :D ;D

Written By: Davester on 04/17/08 at 5:55 am

you all are pervs. Let me tell you where you can stick that finger!! >:( :D ;D

Hey, don't talk about ET's dork like that..!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/17/08 at 1:11 pm

Hey, don't talk about ET's dork like that..!

;D ;D

Subject: E.T. - ExcellenT or ovEr-raTed?

Written By: Dude111 on 02/25/18 at 7:16 am

Excellent movie, one that the whole family can enjoy and cry too.

1 of my favourites Phil!!

This and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...