inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Five Star

Written By: woops on 04/16/08 at 1:31 pm

"All Fall Down" and "Let Me Be The One" are both good songs, though not sure why they weren't popular in the US since they pretty much sounded like New Edition, which were popular at the time. I read that they were more popular in the UK.

Was only familiar with Mandy Moore's version of "Let Me Be The One" until watching classic "Soul Train" last year. Heard "All Fall Down" on a compilation CD.

Subject: Re: Five Star

Written By: Paul on 04/16/08 at 2:18 pm

"All Fall Down" and "Let Me Be The One" are both good songs, though not sure why they weren't popular in the US since they pretty much sounded like New Edition, which were popular at the time.

Quite apart from New Edition, the US also had DeBarge and The Jets to contend with, so perhaps the market was a little 'saturated'...

The two songs you mentioned were probably the best of a suspect bunch...it was downhill all the way after that!  :P

Written By: whistledog on 04/16/08 at 4:50 pm

Five Star had an impressive 15 UK Top 40 hits between 1985-1988.  Sadly, like the USA, they had zero Top 40 hits here in Canada.  I first came into them in the mid 90s when at a yard sale, I found the UK 1988 compilation cassette 'The Hits - Tape 8' which contains their song Another Weekend

I like alot of their songs, but whenever I hear their name, Can't Wait Another Minute is the first one that springs to mind, so I guess I would pick that one as my fave

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/16/08 at 6:55 pm

They were popular here on the R&B front. I loved them!!

Rain or Shine, All Fall Down, If I Say Yes, and Let Me Be the One are my faves.

Written By: robby76 on 04/16/08 at 9:18 pm

Five Star have been a solid part of my life since their beginnings in 1984! I have absolutely everything and anything on them... I ain't kidding either! Not a year went by where I wasn't their 'biggest fan'.  ;D

Their last studio album as a five was in 2001 with Eclipse. They're still going but the line-up is now down to two... haha.

Three of the members are trying to embark on solo careers... some as performers and others strictly songwriting / producing.

Any fans should check out this myspace page. A lot of their recent work is showcased here and there are links to the solo members myspaces too.

http://www.myspace.com/fivestargroup

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/miester30/MAINPHOTOsmall.jpg

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/17/08 at 4:32 pm

I like Five Star! I actually have a tape of them on Soul Train. (Classic Soul Trian ROCKS!) And they were reazlly cute all in matching cotumes like a British verison of the Jacksons.  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/18/08 at 7:25 am

What cause their break up, I thought at the time they were set for a good career.

Written By: robby76 on 04/18/08 at 7:42 am

What cause their break up, I thought at the time they were set for a good career.

Too many failed comebacks is what broke the initial five up. They tried in 1990, 1991 and 1996 - both in the UK and the US and failed at each stage.

Then in 2001, five of them recorded an album but only three promoted it. By then members were getting married and having kids - can't blame them really. Nice to see them all getting back to music though, even if not as Five Star.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/18/08 at 7:43 am

Too many failed comebacks is what broke the initial five up. They tried in 1990, 1991 and 1996 - both in the UK and the US and failed at each stage.

Then in 2001, five of them recorded an album but only three promoted it. By then members were getting married and having kids - can't blame them really. Nice to see them all getting back to music though, even if not as Five Star.

I can see it now, One Star!

Written By: woops on 04/18/08 at 1:09 pm

Also taped it from "Best of Soul Train" that also featured Sheila E.  8)

I wonder if there was any rivalry with New Edition and The Jets 

"You Got Served"... '80's style  :D... though that would be "Breakin"  :D

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/24/08 at 2:18 pm

Hi woops et al
yes Five Star did seem to have more success here in the UK, weren't they very pally with Michael and the Jacksons family? as I suspect they did try to copy themselves on the Jackson model, and presumably hoping they would be as successful too?  I really love their poppy music and have a cd of theirs with all the hits, saw them perform here in the north of England at a free music festival in the summer of 2006 but they seemed to have lost the glitz somewhat.

Suzi Quatro
Alvin Stardust
Shakin' Stevens
Leo Sayer

also performed there

Written By: robby76 on 05/24/08 at 10:44 pm

Nice story Babooshka. I saw them live at the Here & Now Tour in 2003. Here's a performance from around that time... they definitely still have it in my opinion...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fivR-9QyDZs

Written By: Bobby on 05/28/08 at 9:11 pm

I just recently bought a Five Star album and love their mid 80s stuff (System addict, Rain or shine, Stay out of my life etc etc).

Five Star were so America-friendly that I am very surprised the Romford clan didn't break into the US charts. In fact, when I was little I actually thought they were from the US!

What is also interesting is their change in direction around 1987/88 when they turned into a more rock-inspired outfit.

Written By: robby76 on 05/28/08 at 9:49 pm

What is also interesting is their change in direction around 1987/88 when they turned into a more rock-inspired outfit.

You should check out their 1988 album Rock The World - you'll be surprised how un-rocky most of it is.  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 05/28/08 at 10:22 pm

You should check out their 1988 album Rock The World - you'll be surprised how un-rocky most of it is.  ;D

Really? I think I might for a laugh, lol.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/08 at 2:26 am

Really? I think I might for a laugh, lol.
We could do with a laugh these days.

Check for new replies or respond here...