inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Child at heart!

Written By: michele on 04/17/08 at 9:28 pm

I was born in the seventies-though i guess my decade was the eighties. LOVED IT!!!! Time flies- anyway, i just started collecting a few toys from my childhood. The few i saw on ebay brought a smile to my face. :)  I guess we all have that certain special toy. I am having such a hard time trying to find this particular item. I have a pic, but it is only the top of the toy. It was a pink heart shaped house that said powder puff on it. Any info would help. i`m ready to purchase a 1980 toy book just to get the full name and maker of this toy. (mattel?)

Subject: Re: Child at heart!

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/17/08 at 9:40 pm

As for me, I also was born in the 70s (check out the year next to my name).  I'm a child at heart as well, and I collected old cartoon from the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s,  and 80s.  I love the 80s as a child and a preteen.  I choose the 80s and early part of the 90s over today.  I miss my chilhood when things were simple.

Written By: michele on 04/17/08 at 9:57 pm

As for me, I also was born in the 70s (check out the year next to my name).  I'm a child at heart as well, and I collected old cartoon from the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s,  and 80s.  I love the 80s as a child and a preteen.  I choose the 80s and early part of the 90s over today.  I miss my chilhood when things were simple.
I so much miss my childhood years. :\'( How the saturday mornings were-watch cartoons!!!! WOODY WOODPECKER was awesome!!! I just bought the dvd. brought back memories. How we used to leave our doors unlocked, no worries- how times have changed. all of us neighbor kids would play ghost in the graveyard, four square, red light green light  Now i rarely see kids out past seven . I guess we grew up during a great decade!

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/18/08 at 3:41 am

I so much miss my childhood years. :\'( How the saturday mornings were-watch cartoons!!!! WOODY WOODPECKER was awesome!!! I just bought the dvd. brought back memories. How we used to leave our doors unlocked, no worries- how times have changed. all of us neighbor kids would play ghost in the graveyard, four square, red light green light  Now i rarely see kids out past seven . I guess we grew up during a great decade!
I know.  It's very dangerous out there now.  I'm telling you that anybody that was born in the 60s and 70s are blessed because of the way things are now,I'm so glad that I'm not a child, preteen, and teenager nowadays.  I wouldn't survive especially being an African American.  I wish I was a child, preteen, and adolescent again.  Things were simple.  You get to play outside until nightime without somebody snatching you up.  I miss the Saturday morning cartoons as well.  I miss the weekdays cartoons.  I miss the toys that I used to play with.  I'm in my 30s now, but I'm still a child at heart.  I always felt younger than my age even when I was younger. 

Subject: Re: Child at heart! - Heart-shaped house

Written By: StickerFanatic on 04/18/08 at 10:49 am

I miss the freedom, too - grew up in late 70s, reached teens in mid-80s.

Michele, you didn't mention the size of the doll house you're looking for, but I wonder if it was a Polly Pockets (miniature) doll house? I know they made a number of these in different sizes, some retired. I even found one on sale at ebay (UK) for you to look at. This seller isn't shipping to the USA, although some do, but I thought you could know right away from the picture. The link is below. Hope this helps!

Direct Link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Polly-Pocket-Minatures_W0QQitemZ140224381530QQcmdZViewItem

If the above link doesn't work, try www.ebay.co.uk and do an advanced search under "Toys and Hobbies" category for polly pockets house.

Written By: michele on 04/18/08 at 6:31 pm

Thanks for the help- but that`s not it. I posted my picture with me holding it. But all you see is the top. It was bigger than the polly pockets- and said powder puff-I just can`t believe i am having such a hard time finding this item.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/18/08 at 9:21 pm

Maybe not directly related to the thread, but even though I'm a 1981er I always felt like a total '80s kid. At least in the second half of the decade, I experienced alot of things other kids at the time did, especially playing Nintendo games and I always loved the music, so I stuck with all that as I got older. I always felt mature and intelligent, but I do feel alot younger than my age sometimes too. Like, I would never stop finding humor or entertainment in most things I once did. Alot of adults seem to "grow out of" things and get tired of them after awhile, and I never quite understood that.

Anyway, the '80s and early '90s are when I first awoke to the world, so to speak...even though there were bad things happening like any time has, I pretty much only saw the happier, more innocent side of things. It wasn't a Brady Bunch life or anything (in fact, I always hated being an only child in some ways), but I had a nice suburban childhood with loving parents and family members. I miss that sense of security in alot of ways.

Don't get me wrong, I love the '90s alot too and had some fun then, but it never quite felt as magical, even if I actually have more indepth knowledge of it, like the way people acted. Maybe that's why I like television and movies from then, because I saw more firsthand about the world. It was really changeful too (I mean age 8 to 17), so it started out as pure childhood and just transitioned. I also experienced things like relatives passing away and my parents briefly separating, so that probably made me look back a bit, even then.

I guess the ideal thing would be to live in 1995 while listening to music from 1985. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...