inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What happened to Billy Squier?

Written By: Entouch on 04/27/08 at 8:58 pm

Another singer from the late 70s and 80s that seemed to disappear. Does anyone know if he still recording or touring?I dont hear his music that much on classic rock radio, but how can you forget his song "Stroke Me" or during the holiday season " Christmas is the time to say I Love You is played annually. Did he lose his hair? :\'(

Subject: Re: What happened to Billy Squier?

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/28/08 at 9:03 am

Wikipedia blames the decline of his career on the video for "Rock Me Tonight" where he danced and ripped off his shirt.  They claim fans deserted him overnight. 

What a shame.  I think he made some great music. 

Written By: whistledog on 04/28/08 at 12:23 pm

Wikipedia blames the decline of his career on the video for "Rock Me Tonight" where he danced and ripped off his shirt.  They claim fans deserted him overnight. 

That's exactly the way it was.  Sad too, because I thought 'Rock Me Tonight' was one of his best.  He did change his sound from that early 80s rock style, but other griups like REO Speedwagon, 38 Special, et al did the same thing, and they had long lasting careers all through the 80s

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/28/08 at 12:24 pm

That's exactly the way it was.  Sad too, because I thought 'Rock Me Tonight' was one of his best.  He did change his sound from that early 80s rock style, but other griups like REO Speedwagon, 38 Special, et al did the same thing, and they had long lasting careers all through the 80s

I guess they had higher expectations for him than either of those groups  :-\\

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/28/08 at 12:38 pm

I love "The Stroke", "Everybody Wants You", and "Rock Me Tonight" 8)

According to Wikipedia he did have a few moderate hits later in the '80s, and even had a song go up to #4 on the  mainstream rock charts in 1989.

Written By: coqueta83 on 04/28/08 at 7:41 pm

^I love those songs, too, plus that one song that appears on the "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" soundtrack.  :)

Written By: Lindee on 04/29/08 at 10:53 am

^I love those songs, too, plus that one song that appears on the "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" soundtrack.  :)

That would be "The Best Years Of Our Lives".

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/08 at 11:24 am

What a shame.  I think he made some great music. 
Not to sexy for his shirt?

Written By: Entouch on 04/29/08 at 8:08 pm

Thanks for replying to my post. Didnt know his career hit the skids due to one song. "Lonely is the Night" is another favorite of mine, I would still love to see a recent pic of him. I have a feeling he hit the wall. :-[

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/29/08 at 11:54 pm

It seems a bit crazy, actually.  Everybody loves him when he writes a masturbation anthem, but he rips off his shirt and dances around and people are like "Ok, now you've gone too far, Buddy!"  :D

At any rate, I really dig his music.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/02/08 at 8:13 pm

I loved Billy Squier, but the man couldn't dance to save his life.  Great music, though.

Written By: johnny5alive on 05/03/08 at 7:27 pm

Not to sexy for his shirt?
  ..........................  i guess right said fred was not too sexy for HIS shirt though! ;D

Written By: Davester on 05/04/08 at 12:45 am

Billy should've hooked-up with Van Halen...

It seems a bit crazy, actually.  Everybody loves him when he writes a masturbation anthem, but he rips off his shirt and dances around and people are like "Ok, now you've gone too far, Buddy!"  :D

LOL... :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/04/08 at 5:19 am

Recent activity of Billy Squier

Squier played a special acoustic show at BB King's in NYC on November 30, 2005. Highlights of the show were acoustic versions of "Everybody Wants You", "Nobody Knows", "Learn How to Live", "The Stroke", "Christmas is the Time to Say I Love You", and most of the 1998 Happy Blue CD. VH1 Classic and New York hard rock radio icon Eddie Trunk introduced Squier that night as "one of the great singer/songwriters in the history of rock."

Squier now lives in New York's Upper West Side. Sampling of "The Big Beat" continues. The late Jam Master Jay's reference to the song as a classic beat in the early days of hip hop has paid great dividends for Squier. Jay Z's "99 Problems," a massive hit in 2004, is based on that beat, as well as British grime/hip-hop MC Dizzee Rascal's "Fix Up, Look Sharp".

Squier's hobbies include such disparate activities as mountain climbing and gardening. He also has written an award-winning screenplay (Sundance Film Festival).

In 2006, Squier joined Rod Argent, Richard Marx, Edgar Winter, and Sheila E touring with Ringo Starr & His All Starr Band.

"The Stroke" can be heard in the films Blades of Glory and Billy Madison.

RZA referenced Billy on Masta Killa's "Iron God Chamber." On the 2006 song, RZA said: "I got a 'big'ger 'beat' than Billy Squier" at about 1:22. The song appeared on Masta Killa's Made In Brooklyn.

Hard rock band Buckcherry cover "the Stroke" frequently in live concerts, while Damone have recorded a version of "Everybody Wants You" for the CW Network.

Squier's "The Big Beat" was sampled by Kanye West on the track "Addiction" in his 2005 album, Late Registration.

The drum track from "The Stroke" can be heard throughout the song "Opticon" by Orgy.

"Lonely Is the Night" is one of the tracks on the Activision game Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s

Written By: Richard on 04/23/10 at 10:57 am

Thanks for the research guys.  I was just listening to his music and wondering what the hell happen to this dude. :D

Written By: Robert on 05/22/10 at 6:32 am

I think he had a stroke.  8-P

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/22/10 at 9:07 am

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/22/10 at 9:50 pm

I  figure with guys like Billy Squier, if they haven't checked out by now, they're

a. Working on new album on their own record label
b. Promoting their music with a "Myspace" page and working in I.T.
c. Raising hell with the local authorities.
d. Raising sheep with the local ranchers.
e. All of the above

???

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 05/24/10 at 12:52 am

It was a terrible video and if he was unable to see at the time that it would cause a huge backlash, he deserved it.

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/24/10 at 7:01 pm

How harsh! ^  I disagree wholeheartedly!  There are plenty of awful videos out there, but none that actually ruined a career.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/28/10 at 10:12 pm

No, that was Gary Coleman.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4060/4445814157_11ecf8c4ba.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...